Carrie by Stephen King

Authors:Stephen King
Info:Anchor (2011), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:***1/2

Carrie by Stephen King

20th century (30) adolescence (26) American (26) American literature (30) bullying (36) ebook (32) fantasy (37) fiction (646) high school (109) horror (1,166) horror fiction (36) King (59) made into movie (37) movie (29) murder (24) novel (81) own (38) paperback (34) paranormal (50) prom (39) read (156) religion (40) revenge (53) Stephen King (168) supernatural (79) suspense (34) teenagers (29) telekinesis (133) thriller (98) to-read (53)
    Firestarter by Stephen King (shesinplainview)
    The Omen by David Seltzer (shesinplainview)
    Brightly Burning by Mercedes Lackey (lquilter)
    lquilter: If you like tortured pyrokinetics with tragic endings, and don't mind radical changes in mood and style ... try Stephen King's Carrie for the horror take, and Mercedes Lackey's Brightly Burning for the fantasy take.
    Matilda by Roald Dahl (one-horse.library)

English (135)  French (2)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  Romanian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (143)
The phrase "dirty pillows" still haunts me. ( )
  LisaFoxRomance | Apr 6, 2014 |
Not much more I can say about this book. It was heart-pumpingly good. I really got into it. It is an awesome horror novel. I'm glad I decided to read this one out of the other Stephen King books I've got on my list.
Oh and I think what made this more thrilling for me is that my senoir formal is on in like 3 weeks so the idea of everything going insane on that night is horrifying. I don't think I thought it through; reading this book now but anyways it is still an awesome book. I would probably read it again if I didn't have such a big list of books to read.

It was pretty imaginative that she could read peoples mind like at the end with Sue and going through her mind like file cabinets. That was an interesting tidbit.
I also thought her mother in the story was conveyed really well and added to the shock horror value of the book.

Although I didn't get scared, my heart started going crazy, like I was in the prom or feeling Carrie. It was intense but awesome. ( )
  bethie-paige | Jan 29, 2014 |
around 2.5 stars, but i'm slightly biased. i'm doing a re/reading of all of stephen king's books, in the order he wrote them (except for sequels, which will be read after the book they follow) and this is his first publication. it shows. it's his style, his voice, his imagination, his use of language and grammar, and even his character perspective. and it's all underdeveloped but totally shows his potential and where he's going in the future. the story itself is a bit overdramatic and less fleshed out than i'm used to with him, but not too poorly so. if it was the first of his books i'd ever read, i'm not sure how many more i'd pick up, but i wouldn't dismiss him out of hand either. i think it shows a good start, and lots of room for improvement. and his classic ending that i love so much. ( )
1 vote elisa.saphier | Jan 23, 2014 |
The story of Carrie's prom night, like the identity of Luke Skywalker's father and the origin of Soylent Green, exists in my brain as part of a prepackaged set of pop cultural facts I've always known but never remember learning about. So finally reading this book felt more like reading a retelling of a well-known fairy tale than an original novel that launched Stephen King's career.

In this case, foreknowledge of the plot didn't ruin the book for me. The story's iconic scene happens halfway through the book, so there was more to the plot before and after that than what I knew about. Also, scattered throughout the story are news articles, interviews, and excerpts from other sources that were all written after prom night, which means you're told about every major event before it happens. So the point of the main story is just to fill in the details and show you how it happened from the main characters' points of view.

Even after overcoming all that, I still thought the story was mediocre. Maybe it was a fresh concept when it came out, but now it's a pretty formulaic revenge fantasy. I was pleased to find that there were a few students besides Carrie with some depth, although more of them are the standard jeering bullies that you'd expect to see in this kind of story. The tone is dated, and although that's gives the story a quaint small-town feel at times, the dialogue here doesn't sound like anything a high schooler in any time would say. Also, does every Stephen King book have a crazy religious zealot for an antagonist, or have I randomly only read those ones?

I'm glad I could fill in this pop cultural gap, but I wouldn't say this is one of the better Stephen King books I've read. Certainly it's high of the list of scary coming-of-age stories, though. ( )
  thatpirategirl | Jan 16, 2014 |
It's been so long since I actually read Carrie that I forgot much of the action. Being treated to the audio version... with SISSY SPACEK reading was phenomenal!

This is horror at its very best. It is filled with pathos and Stephen King does a great job of getting inside the heads of teenagers wanting to fit in. Carrie is such a sad and pathetic character, but even so she has an incredible life force and will to belong. Sissy Spacek brings her to life, along with all of the other characters. She makes you experience everything the characters are feeling. She does a remarkable job with her narration.

My only complaint is in her pronunciation of 2 words. The H is silent in Thibodaux and you rifle through a desk or someone's belongings... you don't riffle. Sissy should know better. But if those are the only things I can find to criticize, I can tell you that this is a good good book and it read by a great narrator.

If you like audiobooks, you can't go wrong with this one. ( )
  enemyanniemae | Jan 8, 2014 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Saarikoski, TuulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Tabby, who got me into it—and then bailed me out of it.
News item from the Westover (Me.) weekly Enterprise, August 19, 1966: RAIN OF STONES REPORTED
Sometimes, like now, the ivy looked like a grotesque giant hand ridged with great veins which had sprung up out of the ground to grip the building. She approached it with dragging feet.

Stephen King's first published novel is a fantastic story for those curious high school readers and adults alike looking for a chill.  Young Carrie is an aloof girl with an overbearing mother, who ultimately turns the tables on those who poke fun at her with her telekinetic powers.  For those who may be reluctant readers, you can always tell kids that Stephen King always pushes the limits in scarring the wits out of you.  Here is the trailer to the acclaimed 1976 film adaptation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJe0iV...
The mean girls tease her.
Uh-oh. Shouldn’t have picked on
Someone who’s psychic.
(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671039725, Mass Market Paperback)

Why read Carrie? Stephen King himself has said that he finds his early work "raw," and Brian De Palma's movie was so successful that we feel as if we have read the novel even if we never have. The simple answer is that this is a very scary story, one that works as well, if not better, on the page as it does on the screen. Carrie White, bullied by cruel teenagers at school and her religious nut of a mother at home, gradually discovers that she has telekinetic powers, powers that will eventually be turned on her tormentors. King has a way of getting under the skin of his readers by creating an utterly believable world that throbs with menace before finally exploding. He builds the tension in this early work by piecing together extracts from newspaper reports, journals, and scientific papers, as well as more traditional first- and third-person narrative in order to reveal what lurks beneath the surface of Chamberlain, Maine.
News item from the Westover (ME) weekly Enterprise, August 19, 1966: "Rain of Stones Reported: It was reliably reported by several persons that a rain of stones fell from a clear blue sky on Carlin Street in the town of Chamberlain on August 17th."
Although the supernatural pyrotechnics are handled with King's customary aplomb, it is the carefully drawn portrait of the little horrors of small towns, high schools, and adolescent sexuality that give this novel its power and assures its place in the King canon. --Simon Leake

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:45 -0400)

A modern classic, Carrie introduced a distinctive new voice in American fiction -- Stephen King. The story of misunderstood high school girl Carrie White, her extraordinary telekinetic powers, and her violent rampage of revenge, remains one of the most barrier-breaking and shocking novels of all time. Make a date with terror and live the nightmare that is - Carrie.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,495,985 books! | Top bar: Always visible