Carrie by Stephen King

Authors:Stephen King
Info:Anchor (2011), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:***1/2

Carrie by Stephen King

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Carrie White has much in common with Jackson's shy, bullied heroine Eleanor Vance.
    Firestarter by Stephen King (shesinplainview)
    The Omen by David Seltzer (shesinplainview)
    Brightly Burning by Mercedes Lackey (lquilter)
    lquilter: If you like tortured pyrokinetics with tragic endings, and don't mind radical changes in mood and style ... try Stephen King's Carrie for the horror take, and Mercedes Lackey's Brightly Burning for the fantasy take.
    Matilda by Roald Dahl (TomWaitsTables)

English (188)  French (3)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  Romanian (1)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  English (198)
I doubt there is anyone alive who doesn't know what happens in Carrie. Even if you do, reading the book which inspired two movies is still well worthwhile. There are some differences that the readers will enjoy.

FYI: Sissy Spacek, the actress who played the original Carrie, does a commendable job of reading the audio version of this book. ( )
  Unkletom | Oct 24, 2016 |
read this before but bought at a goodwill store today for 50 cents ( )
  KimSalyers | Oct 1, 2016 |
I saw the movie many years ago, but just now read the book. I love Stephen King! Reading Carrie, makes me want to read all of his novels. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
It's truly an amazing story of one young woman's hellish high school experience, every pain she feels we feel with her...until it's comes to the blazing conclusion as only King can present. ( )
  Emery_Demers | Sep 26, 2016 |
I'm running out of Stephen King audio books my library has that I haven't yet read. I didn't read this one before because I'd already seen the movie many years ago and knew what it was about. I'm really glad I gave it a read, though. It was definitely early Stephen King, but a really creative presentation that made listening to it an adventure.

It's the ultimate anti-bullying story. We all know a girl like Carrie who came from a strange house or looked different than the rest of us. Some of us can relate to Carrie. Some see things from the bullies' perspecties. But in this story, Carrie has the power to turn the tables. When she is asked to prom, one girl's idea of making it up to her, she says yes and sews a beautiful dress despite the protests of her religious mother. Things seem to be looking up for Carrie. But when things go a little too far, and Carrie suffers another humiliation in front of everyone, she can no longer take it. She uses her telekenetic and telepathic powers and destroys the people at the school dance, causes a fire in the high school, drains the town of water to fight it, blows up several gas stations, and kills tons of town residents.

The whole story is told from different points of views as well as through excerpts of medical journels, news reports, and even court transcripts. The reader pieces it all together. And even though the reader is pretty much told from the beginning that bad stuff happens, and lots of people die, it's the kind of car wreck you can't look away from. You want to know how and want to know why. And the creative storytelling keeps the narrative in constant motion. I really enjoyed piecing it together and getting a really good sense of Carrie (and Sue; I liked Sue a lot).

I'm glad I finally gave this one a chance. I enjoyed it and felt so sorry for Carrie and anyone else who has ever suffered at the hands of bullies. Kids really can be so cruel, especially when they're teenagers. This book did an excellent job of showing those evils and what might happen if the person being picked on is able to fight back in a supernatural way. ( )
  katekintail | Sep 3, 2016 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Saarikoski, TuulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Tabby, who got me into it—and then bailed me out of it.
News item from the Westover (Me.) weekly Enterprise, August 19, 1966: RAIN OF STONES REPORTED
Sometimes, like now, the ivy looked like a grotesque giant hand ridged with great veins which had sprung up out of the ground to grip the building. She approached it with dragging feet.
She wished forlornly and constantly that Ewan High had individual - and thus private - showers like the ones at Andover or Boxford. They stared. They always stared.
Jesus watches from the wall, but his face is cold as stone. And if he loves me - as she tells me - why do I feel so all alone?
Your pimples are the Lord's way of chastising you.
"Red," Momma murmured. "I might have known it would be red."

Stephen King's first published novel is a fantastic story for those curious high school readers and adults alike looking for a chill.  Young Carrie is an aloof girl with an overbearing mother, who ultimately turns the tables on those who poke fun at her with her telekinetic powers.  For those who may be reluctant readers, you can always tell kids that Stephen King always pushes the limits in scarring the wits out of you.  Here is the trailer to the acclaimed 1976 film adaptation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJe0iV...
The mean girls tease her.
Uh-oh. Shouldn’t have picked on
Someone who’s psychic.
(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671039725, Mass Market Paperback)

Why read Carrie? Stephen King himself has said that he finds his early work "raw," and Brian De Palma's movie was so successful that we feel as if we have read the novel even if we never have. The simple answer is that this is a very scary story, one that works as well, if not better, on the page as it does on the screen. Carrie White, bullied by cruel teenagers at school and her religious nut of a mother at home, gradually discovers that she has telekinetic powers, powers that will eventually be turned on her tormentors. King has a way of getting under the skin of his readers by creating an utterly believable world that throbs with menace before finally exploding. He builds the tension in this early work by piecing together extracts from newspaper reports, journals, and scientific papers, as well as more traditional first- and third-person narrative in order to reveal what lurks beneath the surface of Chamberlain, Maine.
News item from the Westover (ME) weekly Enterprise, August 19, 1966: "Rain of Stones Reported: It was reliably reported by several persons that a rain of stones fell from a clear blue sky on Carlin Street in the town of Chamberlain on August 17th."
Although the supernatural pyrotechnics are handled with King's customary aplomb, it is the carefully drawn portrait of the little horrors of small towns, high schools, and adolescent sexuality that give this novel its power and assures its place in the King canon. --Simon Leake

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:36 -0400)

A modern classic, Carrie introduced a distinctive new voice in American fiction -- Stephen King. The story of misunderstood high school girl Carrie White, her extraordinary telekinetic powers, and her violent rampage of revenge, remains one of the most barrier-breaking and shocking novels of all time. Make a date with terror and live the nightmare that is - Carrie.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,736,339 books! | Top bar: Always visible