Carrie by Stephen King

Authors:Stephen King
Info:Anchor (2011), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:***1/2

Carrie by Stephen King

Recently added byprivate library, DarkPizza, Nickidemus, kpevjen, airstreamgirl, aeromaxtran, terihuff39, Marcyt75
Legacy LibrariesDavid Foster Wallace
    Firestarter by Stephen King (shesinplainview)
    The Omen by David Seltzer (shesinplainview)
    Brightly Burning by Mercedes Lackey (lquilter)
    lquilter: If you like tortured pyrokinetics with tragic endings, and don't mind radical changes in mood and style ... try Stephen King's Carrie for the horror take, and Mercedes Lackey's Brightly Burning for the fantasy take.
    Matilda by Roald Dahl (one-horse.library)

English (150)  French (4)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  Spanish (1)  Romanian (1)  German (1)  All languages (160)
one of my favorites. great characters and hard to put down ( )
  jodiesohl | Sep 14, 2014 |
I am glad I found this lying lost around the book store and you want to know why? Because this is BRUTAL in every sense. I wasn't too excited about it at first, because I know Carrie, I've watch all her movie adaptations all the crappy sequels, but who'd think the book would get me going so much?
The book contains several interruptions to mention arcticles from other books, which at first I thought was something only my copy contained. At first I even ignored them but when I understood what they actually were there for I went back to read them again. The thing about this book is, it's not a book about Carrie. It is a book about the phenomenon of which she was the protagonist. I found it all very interesting, especially since I imagined it all happening around me, all those newspaper arcticles, survivor rants. What if it had really happened? I kept on craving more and more every page.
Carrie White. What a girl. Opressed by her religious mother and brought up in an unhealthy environment, has her first period at age 16 during gym class, surrounded by girls who believed they were already grown women despite not deserving it. But that event is what started it all. Carrie had more power than you could have guessed and what happens when the powerful considered weak lose their temper? Prom Night. Bloooooody Prom Night.
(Flex)
I recommend this for anyone looking for light horror and good entertainment. It was also the first Stephen King I read, and despite some harsh vocabulary, it is pretty managable.
(Flex)
I will keep on adding this everywhere until it works.
(Flex) ( )
  sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |
(Flex)
I will keep on adding this everywhere until it works.
(Flex) ( )
  sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |
The more I read Stephen King, the less sure I am that I actually like Stephen King, and also the more I read Stephen King, the more I want to read Stephen King. It's a weird relationship. ( )
  sighedtosleep | Sep 1, 2014 |
Carrie is a girl with telekinetic powers who has been isolated from her community due to the crazy reputation of her mother. Her mother has kept her sheltered and taught her extreme religions views and opinions.

All of this made going to high school a traumatic experience for her. Especially when the torture and traumatic times seem to occur on a daily basis.

Everything comes together and she finally explodes with rage, taking it out on anyone and everyone who has ever caused her pain.

It just so happens that the whole town has bullied her, so Carrie has a vendetta against a large amount of people.

I'd give this book 5/5 for an classic original King horror book. ( )
  lizasarusrex | Sep 1, 2014 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Saarikoski, TuulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Tabby, who got me into it—and then bailed me out of it.
News item from the Westover (Me.) weekly Enterprise, August 19, 1966: RAIN OF STONES REPORTED
Sometimes, like now, the ivy looked like a grotesque giant hand ridged with great veins which had sprung up out of the ground to grip the building. She approached it with dragging feet.

Stephen King's first published novel is a fantastic story for those curious high school readers and adults alike looking for a chill.  Young Carrie is an aloof girl with an overbearing mother, who ultimately turns the tables on those who poke fun at her with her telekinetic powers.  For those who may be reluctant readers, you can always tell kids that Stephen King always pushes the limits in scarring the wits out of you.  Here is the trailer to the acclaimed 1976 film adaptation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJe0iV...
The mean girls tease her.
Uh-oh. Shouldn’t have picked on
Someone who’s psychic.
(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671039725, Mass Market Paperback)

Why read Carrie? Stephen King himself has said that he finds his early work "raw," and Brian De Palma's movie was so successful that we feel as if we have read the novel even if we never have. The simple answer is that this is a very scary story, one that works as well, if not better, on the page as it does on the screen. Carrie White, bullied by cruel teenagers at school and her religious nut of a mother at home, gradually discovers that she has telekinetic powers, powers that will eventually be turned on her tormentors. King has a way of getting under the skin of his readers by creating an utterly believable world that throbs with menace before finally exploding. He builds the tension in this early work by piecing together extracts from newspaper reports, journals, and scientific papers, as well as more traditional first- and third-person narrative in order to reveal what lurks beneath the surface of Chamberlain, Maine.
News item from the Westover (ME) weekly Enterprise, August 19, 1966: "Rain of Stones Reported: It was reliably reported by several persons that a rain of stones fell from a clear blue sky on Carlin Street in the town of Chamberlain on August 17th."
Although the supernatural pyrotechnics are handled with King's customary aplomb, it is the carefully drawn portrait of the little horrors of small towns, high schools, and adolescent sexuality that give this novel its power and assures its place in the King canon. --Simon Leake

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:45 -0400)

A modern classic, Carrie introduced a distinctive new voice in American fiction -- Stephen King. The story of misunderstood high school girl Carrie White, her extraordinary telekinetic powers, and her violent rampage of revenge, remains one of the most barrier-breaking and shocking novels of all time. Make a date with terror and live the nightmare that is - Carrie.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,723,696 books! | Top bar: Always visible