Carrie by Stephen King

Authors:Stephen King
Info:Anchor (2011), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:***1/2

Carrie by Stephen King

Firestarter by Stephen King (shesinplainview)
    The Dead Zone by Stephen King (sturlington)
    Brightly Burning by Mercedes Lackey (lquilter)
    lquilter: If you like tortured pyrokinetics with tragic endings, and don't mind radical changes in mood and style ... try Stephen King's Carrie for the horror take, and Mercedes Lackey's Brightly Burning for the fantasy take.
    The Omen by David Seltzer (shesinplainview)
    Matilda by Roald Dahl (TomWaitsTables)

English (161)  French (4)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  Spanish (1)  Romanian (1)  German (1)  All languages (171)
I didn't care for the novel Carrie. I saw the movie a long time ago so I knew what it was about and I loved the movie so I thought I would like the book even more, but that didn't happen. I didn't like how the reader pretty much knows what's going to happen at the end before getting there. I don't like how there wasn't more detail between tele kinetics and menstruation. I liked how it change point of views in different characters and the build up to the end. I would of liked to seen all the aftermath from the characters, the interviews that were scattered around the story, at the end after everything happened, as well as the scientific explanations of tele kinetics because in the book it gives small examples then all of a sudden she has complete control over her power? Didn't make much sense. ( )
  GrlIntrrptdRdng | Jun 28, 2015 |
  GrlIntrrptdRdng | Jun 28, 2015 |
wow, what a great read. I saw the original movie and, recently, the 2013 remake. yet, this book still fascinated me, if not for the story, then for the intricate way it gets presented to the reader.

through what is in fact a complex tangle of flashbacks, flash forwards, police reports, first person scenes, third person scenes, newspaper wires, autobiography excerpts, ... King manages to add another layer of suspension to an already thrilling story.

perhaps what I like so much about the well known story of Carrie is the sheer simpleness of it and the way that we can all relate to the main character's yearning for love, belonging and safety.

on a final note, I want to highlight that the book really adds much more significance to the story which the movies (or any movie in fact) ever could. so even if you have seen the movie(s), it's well worth the read.

this was my first Stephen King, but surely not my last! ( )
  bbbart | May 30, 2015 |
(spoiler alert)

I’ve never seen either the classic or remake films. Just not very good with on-screen gore. But of course I know (deep breath) that it’s a menstruation/female body horror featuring telekinetic teen Carrie going postal at her high school prom after being doused in buckets of blood by her bullying fellow pupils. Luckily Stephen King’s novel is constructed to be spoiler proof, revealing all its key elements right at the start while teasingly holding back on the detail. This is a master class in storytelling, braiding together the events leading up to the prom from the characters’ viewpoints with post incident reportage and survivor’s accounts. There’s huge pleasure in being granted the godlike status of always knowing more than both the doomed protagonists and those speculating on their actions and motives after the event. ( )
  Bernadette877 | Mar 22, 2015 |
Spoilers throughout. There are thousands of reviews of this book without spoilers. Find one.

I enjoyed this reread (#4, I believe, but I think I've lost count) far more than any of the other times I have read this book. I remember one read being as low as two stars for me. I detested this book. It bored me to death. But, this go around, I loved it.

If I didn't know any better, I would think that books change over time, or is that the reader?

I still don't like the ending. Meaning, the last few pages of the book. I feel that King should have stopped after Carrie died, and left the fate of the town to our imaginations, but that's my own opinion. Carrie's demise is so emotional that the final few pages of the book pale in comparison. We go from strong feelings of sadness to an author's attempt to wrap things up with a bow. Fuck that. If I'm to cry, leave me in tears.

I still have a fierce hatred for all the film adaptations of this book. None of them get the character of Carrie right (Carrie and her mother were BIG women, not the skinny wraiths that Hollywood demands), nor do they drive home the crushing tragedy of the narrative. Why hasn't anyone made a Carrie movie wherein Sue finds Carrie outside of the Cavalier? Why must the movies always finish in the White home? Whatever. Moving on.

This time, I noted several names that pop up with regularity throughout the King-verse, and one character from one of King's novellas. It's probably the best part about reading Stephen King's for me. He writes nearly constantly about small towns, and having all these Easter eggs hidden throughout his work makes it feel as if you're part of one of these small towns. Like everyone is a friend or neighbor. I dig that very much.

Notable names:
Hanscom (It)
Trelawney (Mr. Mercedes)
Mears ('Salem's Lot)
The Black Man (aka the Dark Man/Randall Flagg - the entire King-verse)

Notable characters:
Teddy Duchamps (The Body)

In summation: One down and thrity-three novels to go. Next up is 'Salem's Lot, which I am completely excited for. It's one of my all-time favorite King books, and it never fails to terrify. ( )
1 vote Edward.Lorn | Feb 13, 2015 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Saarikoski, TuulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Tabby, who got me into it—and then bailed me out of it.
News item from the Westover (Me.) weekly Enterprise, August 19, 1966: RAIN OF STONES REPORTED
Sometimes, like now, the ivy looked like a grotesque giant hand ridged with great veins which had sprung up out of the ground to grip the building. She approached it with dragging feet.
She wished forlornly and constantly that Ewan High had individual - and thus private - showers like the ones at Andover or Boxford. They stared. They always stared.
Jesus watches from the wall, but his face is cold as stone. And if he loves me - as she tells me - why do I feel so all alone?
Your pimples are the Lord's way of chastising you.
"Red," Momma murmured. "I might have known it would be red."

Stephen King's first published novel is a fantastic story for those curious high school readers and adults alike looking for a chill.  Young Carrie is an aloof girl with an overbearing mother, who ultimately turns the tables on those who poke fun at her with her telekinetic powers.  For those who may be reluctant readers, you can always tell kids that Stephen King always pushes the limits in scarring the wits out of you.  Here is the trailer to the acclaimed 1976 film adaptation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJe0iV...
The mean girls tease her.
Uh-oh. Shouldn’t have picked on
Someone who’s psychic.
(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671039725, Mass Market Paperback)

Why read Carrie? Stephen King himself has said that he finds his early work "raw," and Brian De Palma's movie was so successful that we feel as if we have read the novel even if we never have. The simple answer is that this is a very scary story, one that works as well, if not better, on the page as it does on the screen. Carrie White, bullied by cruel teenagers at school and her religious nut of a mother at home, gradually discovers that she has telekinetic powers, powers that will eventually be turned on her tormentors. King has a way of getting under the skin of his readers by creating an utterly believable world that throbs with menace before finally exploding. He builds the tension in this early work by piecing together extracts from newspaper reports, journals, and scientific papers, as well as more traditional first- and third-person narrative in order to reveal what lurks beneath the surface of Chamberlain, Maine.
News item from the Westover (ME) weekly Enterprise, August 19, 1966: "Rain of Stones Reported: It was reliably reported by several persons that a rain of stones fell from a clear blue sky on Carlin Street in the town of Chamberlain on August 17th."
Although the supernatural pyrotechnics are handled with King's customary aplomb, it is the carefully drawn portrait of the little horrors of small towns, high schools, and adolescent sexuality that give this novel its power and assures its place in the King canon. --Simon Leake

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:36 -0400)

A modern classic, Carrie introduced a distinctive new voice in American fiction -- Stephen King. The story of misunderstood high school girl Carrie White, her extraordinary telekinetic powers, and her violent rampage of revenge, remains one of the most barrier-breaking and shocking novels of all time. Make a date with terror and live the nightmare that is - Carrie.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,895,079 books! | Top bar: Always visible