Carrie by Stephen King

Authors:Stephen King
Info:Anchor (2011), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:***1/2

Carrie by Stephen King

The Omen by David Seltzer (shesinplainview)
    The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Carrie White has much in common with Jackson's shy, bullied heroine Eleanor Vance.
    Firestarter by Stephen King (shesinplainview)
    Brightly Burning by Mercedes Lackey (lquilter)
    lquilter: If you like tortured pyrokinetics with tragic endings, and don't mind radical changes in mood and style ... try Stephen King's Carrie for the horror take, and Mercedes Lackey's Brightly Burning for the fantasy take.
    Matilda by Roald Dahl (TomWaitsTables)

English (181)  French (3)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  Romanian (1)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (191)
Chilling. Another novel that kept me up nights. She didn't need a gun to get back at her tormentors, otherwise, Carrie wasn't so different from some of the psycho misfits who shoot their classmates. ( )
  BonitaMartin | Jun 25, 2016 |
Advertencia: Después de leer éste libro jamás volverás a ver a "Matilda" con los mismos ojos.

Carrie es, extrañamente, el personaje más humano que he leído. La compadeces, la aborreces, le agarras cariño, la odias. La entiendes.

Aplausos para King. ( )
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
Here’s the book that started it all - King’s beginning climb to literary fame and library glory. Carrie is a 245 page book, almost a novella instead of a novel, telling the story of a young adolescent bombarded with the verbal torture and cruel tactics of fellow peers, not to mention religious corruption and abuse from her mother. But instead of being just another teen weighed down by the miseries of the world, Carrie has a gift, a unique one that enables her to move objects by using the power of her mind.

The plot for Carrie is a good one; it’s fascinating, revenge filled, and satisfies all the old hatred in any one who’s been victimized in high school. I have no objection to the story itself, for it is a story filled with dysfunction, social torture, mental isolation and torment, all real horrors people face on a daily basis. It also deals with the fascinating, rare gift of telekinesis. King really invested big when he brought up this power in Carrie and the power of pyrokinesis in Firestarter.

However, a good plot does make a good book. To be frank, direct, and brutally honest: I found Carrie to be boring as sin. Not because of the story, no, and not because of characters, although they weren’t up to par in every way either, but because of the method it was told.

King almost constantly interjected into the story with passages from fiction works such as newspaper articles, books, and interrogations. These were to come after the disaster with the prom, when the story was publicized and Carrie White was made famous. From the start the reader gathers what eventually happens and that Carrie herself is dead. The reader even knows that the real protagonist of the story, Sue Snell, remains alive, for excerpts from her book, which occur after and as a result of the incident, are peppered in the story.

King puts these passages in so often, literally every second to third page, that I couldn’t stay focused on reading. This method, while a unique one (and I applaud him for being gutsy and trying that), had the side effect of bringing me out of the story often and remind me that I was reading.

Because of this detached, narrative method of telling the events, I never came to care much about the characters of the events, feeling like someone who gets told a story by a second party after already knowing what happens and is just enduring it to be polite.

The characters are well written to a degree; Kings evident talent of bringing paper people to life is already showing. However, I stayed distant from them for the above mentioned reasons. Carrie’s motivation at the end toward her mother shouldn’t have come as such a surprise, since being in a characters head, we should know such things.

Kings writing shines in works such as The Stand, Pet Semetary, and The Shining. Here, though, it came across stiff and lacking in detail he later becomes famous for. While his wording can’t be faulted, there were some things that irked me.

As one example, King would utilize the little parenthesis internal dialogue he’s so fond of. I disliked when he did it here, though, because it was all run on and lowercase, and usually the internal thoughts were more annoying than dramatic.

(mommy i want my mommy where is my mommy)

See how that would get old after awhile?

I read Carrie years ago when I was a young reader. I remembered not being impressed. I thought that, since I was less mature then, that maybe I would appreciate it more now. I was wrong. It’s still the same as I remember it ¬ flat and basically un-enjoyable, much like Carrie must have felt when pig blood was dumped on her head.

There were good things, of course. I loved how he focused on the menstrual blood and explored through works how this probably incited the full strength of her power. I also love the ending and the realization Sue Snell has about menstrual blood after Carrie White’s death. It was clever to include this, and hints at greatness to come in some of King’s other efforts.

In short, Carrie just doesn’t have much heart. This, folks, doesn’t make a good book. No matter how famous the author is now, or that this book brought him into the limelight, or that DePalma made it into an incredible movie. It’s rare to hear this, but I recommend the movie instead. ( )
1 vote ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
One of his first books which, as far as I'm concerned are always superior to his current ones. School bullies and and over protective mother, Well let's face it, the woman was just plain nuts! All H_ _ _ _ breaks loose when Carrie decides she's not going to take it any more. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
I never liked King's epistolary asides, and this book is full of 'em. Almost half of which is pure filler for a story that's really just two or three scenes. The villains are nice and nasty, though, and King's aesthetic appreciation of psychic combat is always a pleasure. ( )
  Algybama | May 24, 2016 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Saarikoski, TuulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Tabby, who got me into it—and then bailed me out of it.
News item from the Westover (Me.) weekly Enterprise, August 19, 1966: RAIN OF STONES REPORTED
Sometimes, like now, the ivy looked like a grotesque giant hand ridged with great veins which had sprung up out of the ground to grip the building. She approached it with dragging feet.
She wished forlornly and constantly that Ewan High had individual - and thus private - showers like the ones at Andover or Boxford. They stared. They always stared.
Jesus watches from the wall, but his face is cold as stone. And if he loves me - as she tells me - why do I feel so all alone?
Your pimples are the Lord's way of chastising you.
"Red," Momma murmured. "I might have known it would be red."

Stephen King's first published novel is a fantastic story for those curious high school readers and adults alike looking for a chill.  Young Carrie is an aloof girl with an overbearing mother, who ultimately turns the tables on those who poke fun at her with her telekinetic powers.  For those who may be reluctant readers, you can always tell kids that Stephen King always pushes the limits in scarring the wits out of you.  Here is the trailer to the acclaimed 1976 film adaptation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJe0iV...
The mean girls tease her.
Uh-oh. Shouldn’t have picked on
Someone who’s psychic.
(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671039725, Mass Market Paperback)

Why read Carrie? Stephen King himself has said that he finds his early work "raw," and Brian De Palma's movie was so successful that we feel as if we have read the novel even if we never have. The simple answer is that this is a very scary story, one that works as well, if not better, on the page as it does on the screen. Carrie White, bullied by cruel teenagers at school and her religious nut of a mother at home, gradually discovers that she has telekinetic powers, powers that will eventually be turned on her tormentors. King has a way of getting under the skin of his readers by creating an utterly believable world that throbs with menace before finally exploding. He builds the tension in this early work by piecing together extracts from newspaper reports, journals, and scientific papers, as well as more traditional first- and third-person narrative in order to reveal what lurks beneath the surface of Chamberlain, Maine.
News item from the Westover (ME) weekly Enterprise, August 19, 1966: "Rain of Stones Reported: It was reliably reported by several persons that a rain of stones fell from a clear blue sky on Carlin Street in the town of Chamberlain on August 17th."
Although the supernatural pyrotechnics are handled with King's customary aplomb, it is the carefully drawn portrait of the little horrors of small towns, high schools, and adolescent sexuality that give this novel its power and assures its place in the King canon. --Simon Leake

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:36 -0400)

A modern classic, Carrie introduced a distinctive new voice in American fiction -- Stephen King. The story of misunderstood high school girl Carrie White, her extraordinary telekinetic powers, and her violent rampage of revenge, remains one of the most barrier-breaking and shocking novels of all time. Make a date with terror and live the nightmare that is - Carrie.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,463,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible