Carrie by Stephen King

Authors:Stephen King
Info:Anchor (2011), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:***1/2

Carrie by Stephen King

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Carrie White has much in common with Jackson's shy, bullied heroine Eleanor Vance.
    Firestarter by Stephen King (shesinplainview)
    The Omen by David Seltzer (shesinplainview)
    The Dead Zone by Stephen King (sturlington)
    Brightly Burning by Mercedes Lackey (lquilter)
    lquilter: If you like tortured pyrokinetics with tragic endings, and don't mind radical changes in mood and style ... try Stephen King's Carrie for the horror take, and Mercedes Lackey's Brightly Burning for the fantasy take.
    Matilda by Roald Dahl (TomWaitsTables)

English (178)  French (3)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  Spanish (1)  Romanian (1)  German (1)  All languages (187)
I never liked King's epistolary asides, and this book is full of 'em. Almost half of which is pure filler for a story that's really just two or three scenes. The villains are nice and nasty, though, and King's aesthetic appreciation of psychic combat is always a pleasure. ( )
  Algybama | May 24, 2016 |
Carrie is Stephen King’s first published book. At the heart of this dismal and terrifying epistolary novel, is a teenager named Carrietta White, who has had the odds stacked against her from day one. There are flashbacks as we read character interviews and statements about the infamous Carrie, her mother, fellow classmates and prom night.

What surprised me is that this book was so sad and heavy. I already knew the story line because of the film, but actually reading the novel left me feeling drained. King takes the reader to a dark place during the scenes with Carrie and her mother, a religious fanatic who both physically and mentally abuses her daughter. Carrie has the gift of telekinesis which really disturbs her already disturbed mother.
For being a story about teenagers in high school, I would not classify this one anywhere near the Young Adult categories.

What Carrie White goes through is horrible, the bullying she endures in school is relentless. The interesting part is that her teachers and some of her fellow classmates almost resent Carrie for it, as if it is her fault that she is a victim. Her mother shelters her to an extreme point, not discussing normal life topics with her, like puberty, and this gives Carrie a kind of naivety and shyness that makes her a target at school. She is an outcast and when she goes to her mother for help or advice, it is useless as her mother believes most things are bad and sinful. I found the relationship between Carrie and her mother most disturbing of all, because Carrie needed her mom and would plea for her to help her, but her mother just was not capable of it.

This mix of dysfunction at home and at school finally throws her over the edge on prom night. In the novel, Carrie actually takes down most of the small town that she lives in. Once the night is over, the death count is over four hundred. Most of the senior class lose their lives, the town they live in is left in ruins. King has a fantastic way of getting you inside the minds of his characters, there is a kind of intimacy when he writes this way. Much of it was difficult to read, especially given the school violence that unfortunately we have seen in our world today.

Carrie is a fast read, and although I already knew what was going to happen I was immersed in it. I still hoped things would turn out different for her, but King weaves a terrifying end to an already sad story. It was akin to watching a train wreck, it is sad and scary, yet you cannot look away.

Disclaimer: This review is my honest opinion. I did not receive any kind of compensation for reading and reviewing this book. I am under no obligation to write a positive review. I purchased my copy of Carrie by Stephen King. ( )
  bookworm_naida | May 15, 2016 |
Unfortunately I think this book suffers from being so well-known - I always expect there to be more plot than there is. But Carrie is a remarkable character in spite of it all, and I think the epistolary structure works pretty well. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Mar 26, 2016 |
I saw the movie a couple of years ago and I thought it was ok, nothing that special. Not even a really good horror movie. So I never bothered to read the books. Well, that was a mistake because the book is so much better than the movie…well, that’s a hardly surprising, movies are seldom better than the book. Carrie is not a horror book in its essence, yes it has elements of horror, but mostly the book is just a tragic tale of a girl who finally snaps, who after years of abuse, both at home and in school just finally just not going to take it anymore and she has power.

So she unleash Hell. Big Time!

MaraBlaise | Feb 9, 2016 |

So she unleash Hell. Big Time!

| Feb 9, 2016 | edit |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Saarikoski, TuulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Tabby, who got me into it—and then bailed me out of it.
News item from the Westover (Me.) weekly Enterprise, August 19, 1966: RAIN OF STONES REPORTED
Sometimes, like now, the ivy looked like a grotesque giant hand ridged with great veins which had sprung up out of the ground to grip the building. She approached it with dragging feet.
She wished forlornly and constantly that Ewan High had individual - and thus private - showers like the ones at Andover or Boxford. They stared. They always stared.
Jesus watches from the wall, but his face is cold as stone. And if he loves me - as she tells me - why do I feel so all alone?
Your pimples are the Lord's way of chastising you.
"Red," Momma murmured. "I might have known it would be red."

Stephen King's first published novel is a fantastic story for those curious high school readers and adults alike looking for a chill.  Young Carrie is an aloof girl with an overbearing mother, who ultimately turns the tables on those who poke fun at her with her telekinetic powers.  For those who may be reluctant readers, you can always tell kids that Stephen King always pushes the limits in scarring the wits out of you.  Here is the trailer to the acclaimed 1976 film adaptation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJe0iV...
The mean girls tease her.
Uh-oh. Shouldn’t have picked on
Someone who’s psychic.
(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671039725, Mass Market Paperback)

Why read Carrie? Stephen King himself has said that he finds his early work "raw," and Brian De Palma's movie was so successful that we feel as if we have read the novel even if we never have. The simple answer is that this is a very scary story, one that works as well, if not better, on the page as it does on the screen. Carrie White, bullied by cruel teenagers at school and her religious nut of a mother at home, gradually discovers that she has telekinetic powers, powers that will eventually be turned on her tormentors. King has a way of getting under the skin of his readers by creating an utterly believable world that throbs with menace before finally exploding. He builds the tension in this early work by piecing together extracts from newspaper reports, journals, and scientific papers, as well as more traditional first- and third-person narrative in order to reveal what lurks beneath the surface of Chamberlain, Maine.
News item from the Westover (ME) weekly Enterprise, August 19, 1966: "Rain of Stones Reported: It was reliably reported by several persons that a rain of stones fell from a clear blue sky on Carlin Street in the town of Chamberlain on August 17th."
Although the supernatural pyrotechnics are handled with King's customary aplomb, it is the carefully drawn portrait of the little horrors of small towns, high schools, and adolescent sexuality that give this novel its power and assures its place in the King canon. --Simon Leake

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:36 -0400)

A modern classic, Carrie introduced a distinctive new voice in American fiction -- Stephen King. The story of misunderstood high school girl Carrie White, her extraordinary telekinetic powers, and her violent rampage of revenge, remains one of the most barrier-breaking and shocking novels of all time. Make a date with terror and live the nightmare that is - Carrie.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,941,320 books! | Top bar: Always visible