Carrie by Stephen King

Authors:Stephen King
Info:Anchor (2011), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:***1/2

Carrie by Stephen King

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Carrie White has much in common with Jackson's shy, bullied heroine Eleanor Vance.
    Firestarter by Stephen King (shesinplainview)
    The Omen by David Seltzer (shesinplainview)
    Brightly Burning by Mercedes Lackey (lquilter)
    lquilter: If you like tortured pyrokinetics with tragic endings, and don't mind radical changes in mood and style ... try Stephen King's Carrie for the horror take, and Mercedes Lackey's Brightly Burning for the fantasy take.
    Matilda by Roald Dahl (TomWaitsTables)

English (189)  French (3)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  Romanian (1)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  All (199)
With a debut novel this exciting, disturbing, featuring such rich social commentary, and some of the most sympathetic characters in modern horror, it is no surprise why Stephen King is a household name. ( )
  Birdo82 | Jan 15, 2017 |
My boyfriend is a HUGE [a:Stephen King|3389|Stephen King|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1362814142p2/3389.jpg] fan & he's been trying to get me to read something of his other than [b:The Green Mile|11566|The Green Mile|Stephen King|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1373903563s/11566.jpg|15599] (which was excellent). I finally relented and he brought Carrie home the last time he was on leave.

I will say that i liked it much more than I thought I would. Normally, I don't go for too many of the "serial authors", as I call them, and I'm not typically a huge horror/scary book person. Since King is... well, the king of horror, I wasn't sure I'd like Carrie. To be honest though, it really wasn't that scary just sort of supernatural, yet relateable. I really truly felt for Carrie, hated Chris, and found Sue Snell pretty damn annoying. Sue was a weird combination of goodie two shoes and popular chick that I just couldn't stomach. Chris, on the other hand, was that "queen bee" figure with a bad girl/ wicked streak that everyone knew and hated in high school, unless you were part of her inner sanctum. And Carrie. Poor Carrie. The girl who was a little different, quiet and didn't really really fit in with any particular group. A loner, but not by choice.

What really detracted from this book, for me, was the writing style. I didn't mind so much that it went back & forth between personal accounts, from fake books, court transcripts, etc, to the actual story. It was an interesting and different feel, albeit a little like an essay outline, which I wasn't a huge fan of, but could work around. I really had a problem with the parentheses in the middle of sentences, which were just sort of chopped up the sentence. They were put in almost like you would a new paragraph, then the sentence was finished in the first line of the following paragraph. It was bad, just odd and a little jumbled for my taste. Here is an example

(quite odd, in my opinion, if you really think about it)

of how it worked. Like I said, it just makes things a little difficult to follow at times. You get, mostly, used to it, but it was still frustrating. Overall, however, I'd still recommend this to people, especially readers who aren't huge into horror novels. ( )
  cebellol | Jan 10, 2017 |
I doubt there is anyone alive who doesn't know what happens in Carrie. Even if you do, reading the book which inspired two movies is still well worthwhile. There are some differences that the readers will enjoy.

FYI: Sissy Spacek, the actress who played the original Carrie, does a commendable job of reading the audio version of this book. ( )
  Unkletom | Oct 24, 2016 |
read this before but bought at a goodwill store today for 50 cents ( )
  KimSalyers | Oct 1, 2016 |
I saw the movie many years ago, but just now read the book. I love Stephen King! Reading Carrie, makes me want to read all of his novels. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Saarikoski, TuulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Tabby, who got me into it—and then bailed me out of it.
News item from the Westover (Me.) weekly Enterprise, August 19, 1966: RAIN OF STONES REPORTED
Sometimes, like now, the ivy looked like a grotesque giant hand ridged with great veins which had sprung up out of the ground to grip the building. She approached it with dragging feet.
She wished forlornly and constantly that Ewan High had individual - and thus private - showers like the ones at Andover or Boxford. They stared. They always stared.
Jesus watches from the wall, but his face is cold as stone. And if he loves me - as she tells me - why do I feel so all alone?
Your pimples are the Lord's way of chastising you.
"Red," Momma murmured. "I might have known it would be red."

Stephen King's first published novel is a fantastic story for those curious high school readers and adults alike looking for a chill.  Young Carrie is an aloof girl with an overbearing mother, who ultimately turns the tables on those who poke fun at her with her telekinetic powers.  For those who may be reluctant readers, you can always tell kids that Stephen King always pushes the limits in scarring the wits out of you.  Here is the trailer to the acclaimed 1976 film adaptation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJe0iV...
The mean girls tease her.
Uh-oh. Shouldn’t have picked on
Someone who’s psychic.
(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671039725, Mass Market Paperback)

Why read Carrie? Stephen King himself has said that he finds his early work "raw," and Brian De Palma's movie was so successful that we feel as if we have read the novel even if we never have. The simple answer is that this is a very scary story, one that works as well, if not better, on the page as it does on the screen. Carrie White, bullied by cruel teenagers at school and her religious nut of a mother at home, gradually discovers that she has telekinetic powers, powers that will eventually be turned on her tormentors. King has a way of getting under the skin of his readers by creating an utterly believable world that throbs with menace before finally exploding. He builds the tension in this early work by piecing together extracts from newspaper reports, journals, and scientific papers, as well as more traditional first- and third-person narrative in order to reveal what lurks beneath the surface of Chamberlain, Maine.
News item from the Westover (ME) weekly Enterprise, August 19, 1966: "Rain of Stones Reported: It was reliably reported by several persons that a rain of stones fell from a clear blue sky on Carlin Street in the town of Chamberlain on August 17th."
Although the supernatural pyrotechnics are handled with King's customary aplomb, it is the carefully drawn portrait of the little horrors of small towns, high schools, and adolescent sexuality that give this novel its power and assures its place in the King canon. --Simon Leake

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:36 -0400)

A modern classic, Carrie introduced a distinctive new voice in American fiction -- Stephen King. The story of misunderstood high school girl Carrie White, her extraordinary telekinetic powers, and her violent rampage of revenge, remains one of the most barrier-breaking and shocking novels of all time. Make a date with terror and live the nightmare that is - Carrie.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,734,340 books! | Top bar: Always visible