Carrie by Stephen King

by Stephen King

Member:MaseS
Title:Carrie
Authors:Stephen King
Info:London : New English Library, 1999.
Tags:horror literature, suspense, thriller, fiction, telekinesis, psychokinesis, mental phenomena

Carrie by Stephen King

Firestarter by Stephen King (shesinplainview)
    The Omen by David Seltzer (shesinplainview)
    Brightly Burning by Mercedes Lackey (lquilter)
    lquilter: If you like tortured pyrokinetics with tragic endings, and don't mind radical changes in mood and style ... try Stephen King's Carrie for the horror take, and Mercedes Lackey's Brightly Burning for the fantasy take.
    Matilda by Roald Dahl (one-horse.library)

English (147)  French (4)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  Spanish (1)  Romanian (1)  German (1)  All languages (157)
The more I read Stephen King, the less sure I am that I actually like Stephen King, and also the more I read Stephen King, the more I want to read Stephen King. It's a weird relationship. ( )
  sighedtosleep | Sep 1, 2014 |
Carrie is a girl with telekinetic powers who has been isolated from her community due to the crazy reputation of her mother. Her mother has kept her sheltered and taught her extreme religions views and opinions.

All of this made going to high school a traumatic experience for her. Especially when the torture and traumatic times seem to occur on a daily basis.

Everything comes together and she finally explodes with rage, taking it out on anyone and everyone who has ever caused her pain.

It just so happens that the whole town has bullied her, so Carrie has a vendetta against a large amount of people.

I'd give this book 5/5 for an classic original King horror book. ( )
  lizasarusrex | Sep 1, 2014 |
For a Stephen King book, I thought this one was slightly weak. But considering the circumstances in which the book was written (being his first published book), I thought it was pretty good. It's about a girl with telekinetic powers named Carrie, who is cruelly humiliated during a graduation party and decides to take revenge for all the bullying she had to endure. The book has several kinds of narrative: one in third-person plus interviews and a couple of excerpts from documentaries and newspapers.

Considering King's vivacity in the descriptions, I think I was waiting for more violence and cruelty from Carrie, specially considering that the first part of the book is almost real. I also missed her own point of view when she lost her mind. I'd like to know what she was thinking when she was finally able to avenge herself against the ones that humiliated her during her entire life... and even against the ones that did nothing wrong against her. I felt that Carrie was somewhat "forgotten", which is kinda sad because King seemed to take a special care in developing each of his characters, from Carrie's mother to the classmates.

The book itself is short and quick to be read, although the interviews and documentaries seem to slow down the story a little.

An interesting reading, mandatory for Stephen King fans. But definitely not his best book. ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
Just as amazing as I've always been told it is. Loved the character development. I felt sorry for Carrie. ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
Even if you've never read this book or seen either of the movie adaptations, the odds are good that you know more or less how it goes: Teenage girl is abused and humiliated by both her religious-nut mother and the popular girls at school. Girl develops telekinetic powers. Everything ends in blood and catastrophe on prom night. (And if you diddn't, well, none of that is particularly spoilery, in any case, as King basically tells you right from the beginning how it's all going to end.)

This was King's first novel, and I do think it shows. The writing isn't terribly polished, and the levels of horror and tension are well below the heights that King, at his best, is capable of. Plus, he seems to have conjured up Carrie and her classmates from memories of his own youth in the 50s and 60s, which makes everything feel slightly off for a story supposedly set in 1979.

All that having been said, though, there is something about it that strikes a chord; it certainly resonated with my own painful memories of school bullying. And, although she's really only a very lightly-sketched character, it is impossible not to feel empathy for poor Carrie. So, while this is by no means a great book -- I'd categorize it more as "okay" -- I can understand, I think, how it lodged itself so firmly into popular consciousness and started Stephen King off on his career of being Stephen King. ( )
1 vote bragan | Aug 5, 2014 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Saarikoski, TuulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Tabby, who got me into it—and then bailed me out of it.
News item from the Westover (Me.) weekly Enterprise, August 19, 1966: RAIN OF STONES REPORTED
Sometimes, like now, the ivy looked like a grotesque giant hand ridged with great veins which had sprung up out of the ground to grip the building. She approached it with dragging feet.

Stephen King's first published novel is a fantastic story for those curious high school readers and adults alike looking for a chill.  Young Carrie is an aloof girl with an overbearing mother, who ultimately turns the tables on those who poke fun at her with her telekinetic powers.  For those who may be reluctant readers, you can always tell kids that Stephen King always pushes the limits in scarring the wits out of you.  Here is the trailer to the acclaimed 1976 film adaptation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJe0iV...
The mean girls tease her.
Uh-oh. Shouldn’t have picked on
Someone who’s psychic.
(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671039725, Mass Market Paperback)

Why read Carrie? Stephen King himself has said that he finds his early work "raw," and Brian De Palma's movie was so successful that we feel as if we have read the novel even if we never have. The simple answer is that this is a very scary story, one that works as well, if not better, on the page as it does on the screen. Carrie White, bullied by cruel teenagers at school and her religious nut of a mother at home, gradually discovers that she has telekinetic powers, powers that will eventually be turned on her tormentors. King has a way of getting under the skin of his readers by creating an utterly believable world that throbs with menace before finally exploding. He builds the tension in this early work by piecing together extracts from newspaper reports, journals, and scientific papers, as well as more traditional first- and third-person narrative in order to reveal what lurks beneath the surface of Chamberlain, Maine.
News item from the Westover (ME) weekly Enterprise, August 19, 1966: "Rain of Stones Reported: It was reliably reported by several persons that a rain of stones fell from a clear blue sky on Carlin Street in the town of Chamberlain on August 17th."
Although the supernatural pyrotechnics are handled with King's customary aplomb, it is the carefully drawn portrait of the little horrors of small towns, high schools, and adolescent sexuality that give this novel its power and assures its place in the King canon. --Simon Leake

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:45 -0400)

A modern classic, Carrie introduced a distinctive new voice in American fiction -- Stephen King. The story of misunderstood high school girl Carrie White, her extraordinary telekinetic powers, and her violent rampage of revenge, remains one of the most barrier-breaking and shocking novels of all time. Make a date with terror and live the nightmare that is - Carrie.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,735,406 books! | Top bar: Always visible