Carrie by Stephen King

Carrie (original 1974; edition 2011)

by Stephen King

9,414204311 (3.71)317
Member:TonkoKordic
Title:Carrie
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Anchor (2011), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:horror, teleportation

Carrie by Stephen King (1974)

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Carrie White has much in common with Jackson's shy, bullied heroine Eleanor Vance.
    Brightly Burning by Mercedes Lackey (lquilter)
    lquilter: If you like tortured pyrokinetics with tragic endings, and don't mind radical changes in mood and style ... try Stephen King's Carrie for the horror take, and Mercedes Lackey's Brightly Burning for the fantasy take.
    Matilda by Roald Dahl (TomWaitsTables)

English (195)  French (3)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  Romanian (1)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  All (205)
Pretty gruesome. Poor thing.

All she needs is a hug! ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
"Carrie" almost didn't make it as a novel as King threw the first incarnation in the garbage. His wife retrieved it and the rest, as they say, is history. I first read the book many years ago and so it was time for a reread and what better way than an audiobook narrated by Sissy Spacek, the original film Carrie! A classic for sure. ( )
  Jane-Phillips | Jun 20, 2017 |
This was a very fast read. very dramatic and has all the essence of 80's 'slasher' films. There are chapters that are pretty 'bloody'. Not really my type but I liked the way King developed the novel using 'false' documents and the epistolary narrative made it more realistic. This was King's first published book and this was the first time I tried King too. I'd say not a bad starting for a future master storyteller in the parapsychology/horror genre. The pace of this book is tremendous (almost that of a 90 min. movie).
I particularly liked the tragic climax. It almost 'healed' the exaggerated description of havoc brought by the girl Carrie White. ( )
  Shaker07 | May 18, 2017 |
Okay, I saw the movie (upon its theatrical release) long before I read the book, but that's alright ... So long as I finally got around to reading it, right?

(Laughs)

Scary Carrie! Truly so. I love Stephen King with the truest of passions, and this, his masterpiece, tells the chilling story of an extremely abused and bullied (mentally and physically) outcast named Carrie White, who possesses a great telekinetic ability. But woe unto those who've wronged her...

If you're like me and absolutely love a good horror, Carrie is a must-read. The plot is dynamic; the story, a gripping and fast-paced page-turner. ( )
  CatEllington | May 5, 2017 |
First volume in the Stephen King Doubleday Years set from Cemetery Dance
  MichaelMacTavish | Apr 18, 2017 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Saarikoski, TuulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Tabby, who got me into it—and then bailed me out of it.
News item from the Westover (Me.) weekly Enterprise, August 19, 1966: RAIN OF STONES REPORTED
Sometimes, like now, the ivy looked like a grotesque giant hand ridged with great veins which had sprung up out of the ground to grip the building. She approached it with dragging feet.
She wished forlornly and constantly that Ewan High had individual - and thus private - showers like the ones at Andover or Boxford. They stared. They always stared.
Jesus watches from the wall, but his face is cold as stone. And if he loves me - as she tells me - why do I feel so all alone?
Your pimples are the Lord's way of chastising you.
"Red," Momma murmured. "I might have known it would be red."

Stephen King's first published novel is a fantastic story for those curious high school readers and adults alike looking for a chill.  Young Carrie is an aloof girl with an overbearing mother, who ultimately turns the tables on those who poke fun at her with her telekinetic powers.  For those who may be reluctant readers, you can always tell kids that Stephen King always pushes the limits in scarring the wits out of you.  Here is the trailer to the acclaimed 1976 film adaptation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJe0iV...
The mean girls tease her.
Uh-oh. Shouldn’t have picked on
Someone who’s psychic.
(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671039725, Mass Market Paperback)

Why read Carrie? Stephen King himself has said that he finds his early work "raw," and Brian De Palma's movie was so successful that we feel as if we have read the novel even if we never have. The simple answer is that this is a very scary story, one that works as well, if not better, on the page as it does on the screen. Carrie White, bullied by cruel teenagers at school and her religious nut of a mother at home, gradually discovers that she has telekinetic powers, powers that will eventually be turned on her tormentors. King has a way of getting under the skin of his readers by creating an utterly believable world that throbs with menace before finally exploding. He builds the tension in this early work by piecing together extracts from newspaper reports, journals, and scientific papers, as well as more traditional first- and third-person narrative in order to reveal what lurks beneath the surface of Chamberlain, Maine.
News item from the Westover (ME) weekly Enterprise, August 19, 1966: "Rain of Stones Reported: It was reliably reported by several persons that a rain of stones fell from a clear blue sky on Carlin Street in the town of Chamberlain on August 17th."
Although the supernatural pyrotechnics are handled with King's customary aplomb, it is the carefully drawn portrait of the little horrors of small towns, high schools, and adolescent sexuality that give this novel its power and assures its place in the King canon. --Simon Leake

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:36 -0400)

A modern classic, Carrie introduced a distinctive new voice in American fiction -- Stephen King. The story of misunderstood high school girl Carrie White, her extraordinary telekinetic powers, and her violent rampage of revenge, remains one of the most barrier-breaking and shocking novels of all time. Make a date with terror and live the nightmare that is - Carrie.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,176,682 books! | Top bar: Always visible