Carrie by Stephen King

Info:Anchor (2011), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:horror, teleportation

Carrie by Stephen King

Firestarter by Stephen King (shesinplainview)
    The Omen by David Seltzer (shesinplainview)
    Brightly Burning by Mercedes Lackey (lquilter)
    lquilter: If you like tortured pyrokinetics with tragic endings, and don't mind radical changes in mood and style ... try Stephen King's Carrie for the horror take, and Mercedes Lackey's Brightly Burning for the fantasy take.
    Matilda by Roald Dahl (one-horse.library)

English (141)  French (4)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  Spanish (1)  Romanian (1)  German (1)  All languages (151)
I think that a lot of my doubts and fears of high school were planted in me by this book.

Absolutely terrifying. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

Absolutely terrifying. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Advertencia: Después de leer éste libro jamás volverás a ver a "Matilda" con los mismos ojos.

Carrie es, extrañamente, el personaje más humano que he leído. La compadeces, la aborreces, le agarras cariño, la odias. La entiendes.

Aplausos para King. ( )
  Glire | Jul 7, 2014 |
Great Book ( )
  heyitsnathan11 | May 23, 2014 |
I am told that this was the novel that made Stephen King the famous writer that he is today. The story that I was told was that Hollywood was looking for a story with a strong female role to turn into a movie, and they happened upon this book and decided to buy the rights off of King to turn it into a movie. Obviously King accepted their proposal (otherwise there wouldn't have been a movie based on this novel, and King probably would not have become so famous). In fact this was King's first novel and Wikipedia suggests that he actually had thrown it into the bin when his wife pulled it out and encouraged him to finish it. Well, I must admire his wife for giving him a kick where it was needed otherwise he would have not even become a footnote in history. Some would probably suggest otherwise, but as I have said previously, I do not think King is a bad author, and his use of the horror genre is actually quite thought provoking.
Horror is a lot more than just monsters and ghosts running around killing people, and to be honest, that type of horror is pretty bad horror in my view (let's call it schlock horror). It is what one expects from Hollywood movies such a Fright Night, Nightmare on Elm Street and the millions of other movies that are cut from the same mould. King does not write novels like that, and of many of the movies that I have seen from his writings, he does not use that standard device to write his horror. The genre has been around for quite a while, and it is only in recent times that it has degenerated into this particular mould, and while I am not going to say that King resurrected it from this mould, I will say that he has a better understanding of traditional horror than do many Hollywood writers.
Horror is about our fears, and while we may fear some rampaging monster storming through our town destroying anything in its path, that is not necessarily horror. Fear can take any form, whether it be of imprisonment, alienation, or simply being rejected from society. Carrie takes the form of being rejected from society, and that is because she is different. In this story she is different because she has psychic powers, and it is not necessarily that she is fearful but rather that others are fearful of her. People fear being threatened, and even if the threat is unfounded, they will act to remove that threat. Take minority populations for instance. Minorities are always threatened that they are going to be overrun by a majority population, and as such will act to prevent the majority from doing so. We have seen this happen throughout the twentieth century, and usually when that happens, the persecution of a weak majority can have the effect of causing that majority to rise up. Take Iraq for instance. Up until the American Invasion, the minority Sunni ruled the country, and would act against the majority Shiite population of the south. Dare I say that we also see this struggle between the white and Negro populations of America? In fact, some cultures have actively prevented majority populations from breeding in an attempt to prevent them from overrunning the country (and the biblical book of Exodus has a well known story about that type of action).
In this story though it is a minority that is persecuted, that being Carrie. However despite being a minority she is an incredibly powerful person, and it is her psychic powers that scare people. In a way, one could say that the horror in this novel is the horror of being different. We don't want to be different, we want to be the same, we want to be like everybody else. If we are like everybody else there is nothing anybody else can or will do to us for being different. However sometimes it is impossible not to stand out from the crowd, though if we are weaker it is easier to persecute and alienate us than if we are stronger.
I guess that is why intelligent people tend to be persecuted at school. People fear intelligence, and in fearing intelligence they will attack it and attempt to undermine it. The jocks, for want of a better word, will push the geeks around, beat them up, and give them royal flushes. Yes, the geek is generally weaker than the jock, but physical weakness is made up by intellectual strength. However, the sad thing is (and this is very true in my case) is that we can react to that by dumbing ourselves down. We don't like to be different or alienated, so we will hide what we can hide from our persecutors. However, we can react in a different way, as Carrie does, and lash out in violence. That, indeed, is the wrong way to react because in the end it plays into the hands of the persecutors.
One example that I will use is the Columbine Highschool Massacre (though, as it has been pointed out to me, may not necessarily have been the truth). In that situation a group of boys, known as the Trenchcoat Mafia, were harassed, persecuted, and alienated. One day, after they had had enough, they got their fathers' guns, stormed the school, and went on a killing rampage. Who, in the end, are the bad guys in this story? The murders of course because the persecuted had turned around and become the persecutors. Yet we quickly forgot and ignore the reason why they snapped, and lay the blame of societies problems at their feet. I have heard Christian leaders proclaim how they went out specifically targetting Christians? Did they? Truth be told I do not know, however, the fact that they are now dead, they do not have the opportunity to defend themselves. Hell, even if they were locked up, they would lose the opportunity to defend themselves. What I am showing here is that there is a right way and a wrong way to deal with persecution, and lashing out at it is the wrong way. Carrie pretty much destroys the town, but it ends badly, very badly for her. The Trenchcoat Mafia left a huge impact in the Colorado Springs highschool, but it also ended very badly for them. Their persecutors have been vindicated, while they have been demonised.
See, we can learn something about ourselves and the world around us in a book written by Stephen King. ( )
  David.Alfred.Sarkies | Apr 24, 2014 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Saarikoski, TuulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Tabby, who got me into it—and then bailed me out of it.
News item from the Westover (Me.) weekly Enterprise, August 19, 1966: RAIN OF STONES REPORTED
Sometimes, like now, the ivy looked like a grotesque giant hand ridged with great veins which had sprung up out of the ground to grip the building. She approached it with dragging feet.

Stephen King's first published novel is a fantastic story for those curious high school readers and adults alike looking for a chill.  Young Carrie is an aloof girl with an overbearing mother, who ultimately turns the tables on those who poke fun at her with her telekinetic powers.  For those who may be reluctant readers, you can always tell kids that Stephen King always pushes the limits in scarring the wits out of you.  Here is the trailer to the acclaimed 1976 film adaptation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJe0iV...
The mean girls tease her.
Uh-oh. Shouldn’t have picked on
Someone who’s psychic.
(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671039725, Mass Market Paperback)

Why read Carrie? Stephen King himself has said that he finds his early work "raw," and Brian De Palma's movie was so successful that we feel as if we have read the novel even if we never have. The simple answer is that this is a very scary story, one that works as well, if not better, on the page as it does on the screen. Carrie White, bullied by cruel teenagers at school and her religious nut of a mother at home, gradually discovers that she has telekinetic powers, powers that will eventually be turned on her tormentors. King has a way of getting under the skin of his readers by creating an utterly believable world that throbs with menace before finally exploding. He builds the tension in this early work by piecing together extracts from newspaper reports, journals, and scientific papers, as well as more traditional first- and third-person narrative in order to reveal what lurks beneath the surface of Chamberlain, Maine.
News item from the Westover (ME) weekly Enterprise, August 19, 1966: "Rain of Stones Reported: It was reliably reported by several persons that a rain of stones fell from a clear blue sky on Carlin Street in the town of Chamberlain on August 17th."
Although the supernatural pyrotechnics are handled with King's customary aplomb, it is the carefully drawn portrait of the little horrors of small towns, high schools, and adolescent sexuality that give this novel its power and assures its place in the King canon. --Simon Leake

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:45 -0400)

A modern classic, Carrie introduced a distinctive new voice in American fiction -- Stephen King. The story of misunderstood high school girl Carrie White, her extraordinary telekinetic powers, and her violent rampage of revenge, remains one of the most barrier-breaking and shocking novels of all time. Make a date with terror and live the nightmare that is - Carrie.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,640,997 books! | Top bar: Always visible