The Racketeer by John Grisham

The Racketeer (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Grisham (Author)

Given the importance of what they do, and the controversies that often surround them, and the violent people they sometimes confront, it is remarkable that in the history of this country only four active federal judges have been murdered. Judge Raymond Fogletree just became number five. His body was found in the basement of a lakeside cabin he had built himself and frequently used on weekends. When he did not show up for a trial on Monday morning, his law clerks panicked, called the FBI, and in due course the agents found the crime scene. There was no forced entry, no struggle, just two dead bodies, Judge Fogletree and his young secretary. I did not know Judge Fogletree, but I know who killed him, and why. I am a lawyer, and I am in prison. It's a long story.… (more)
Member:JFDausman
Title:The Racketeer
Authors:John Grisham (Author)
Info:Doubleday (2012), Edition: First Edition, 352 pages

The Racketeer by John Grisham (2012)

Recently added byprivate library, rena75, ohmercury, philosovashka, Almahi, elasmith, hoskinsd

English (106)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (112)
While I had this one figured out about 1/2 way through, it was still an enjoyable read. The racketeer is Malcolm Bannister who was convicted for a crime he did not commit. He is out to not only clear himself, but to make the FBI look bad. The plot itself is rather complicated but is fun to read (or listen to like I did) to see just how everything works out in the end. ( )
  travelgal | Jul 8, 2019 |
Grisham is always good and the twist is satisfactory, and not entirely predictable, although clues are fairly laid.
I think Grisham's primary purpose was to describe the incredibly wasteful, and vengeful, prison system. ( )
  librisissimo | Jun 6, 2019 |
A puzzle, a surprise, a thriller, and the little guys win in some satisfying way. This man can tell a story! ( )
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
I really enjoyed this one, from the beginning it was peeling an onion and as the layers disappear you slowly get closer to what really happened to the murdered judge & why.

Pacing was good as was the introduction of new pieces to the puzzle in a manner that doesn't overwhelm the reader as there was quite a few twists and turns in there, particularly towards the end of the novel.

A masterfully executed prison 'escape' & heist novel. ( )
  HenriMoreaux | Apr 15, 2019 |
On reading the first chapter, I realised I'd read this before (mass market paperbacks with similar design covers). A lawyer turned prisoner turned criminal informant is on the run across several states and guises. ( )
  paperdust | Mar 18, 2019 |
Grisham’s novel has been hanging around the best-seller lists for a few weeks now. It’s easy to see why. Grisham is the master of the school of telling the readers what happens rather than showing them, and there’s a huge market for that kind of thing.

In the new book, an Afro-American lawyer is sentenced to prison for a white collar crime he didn’t commit. He sets out to get even with the FBI, the prosecutors and everybody else who locked him up. In ways that might baffle even the Perry Masons of the world, the jailed lawyer succeeds.
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jan 11, 2013)

John Grishamprimary authorall editionscalculated
Beutnagel, Jofre HomedesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sappinen, Jorma-VeikkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am a lawyer, and I am in prison. It's a long story.

Read 02-2014. Read in Ft Laud & Providence. Complex scam by framed black lawyer Malcom Bannister to get revenge on the US govt for wrekcing his life

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,728,543 books! | Top bar: Always visible