The Racketeer by John Grisham

The Racketeer (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Grisham

Title:The Racketeer
Authors:John Grisham
Info:Doubleday (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 352 pages

The Racketeer by John Grisham (2012)

Recently added byprivate library, Carlathelibrarian, hollyberryholly, DanJLittle, johnwbeha, suline, jlpo

English (79)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (84)
The most disappointing Grisham I have read to date. It starts well enough with the usual detailed critique of part of the US justice system; this time it is federal courts and prisons and witness protection. The description of US marshals transporting prisoners around the nation is quite horrifying.
But then, about halfway through it turns into a "caper" and, I feel, becomes loose and rather sloppy. I started out with some sympathy for the lead character, but this vanished once he left prison. Grisham himself admits to laziness in his acknowledgement a. He probably meant it in a different way, but I would use it as a negative. But nothing has/will stop it selling in container loads,
I don't make a particular point of reading Grisham, but this popped up cheap on Amazon. It won't change my future choices one way or another. ( )
  johnwbeha | Nov 18, 2015 |
Well, I've finally gotten around to reading this book. I found it tedious at times. It seemed to go on and on and on. The process was ingenious but kind of boring at times. It all started with the murder of a federal judge and his secretary at his cabin in the woods. The wrong man was convicted of the crime and that was the start of a long drawn out process to clear him and to get the real killer in prison for the crime. Why kill a judge? You'd think it was probably in revenge for some sentencing or another. Well, you'd be wrong! Perhaps the judge's hands weren't as clean as they should have been....................... ( )
  love2cook | Nov 15, 2015 |
Love John Grisham but this book was all over the place, with a pretty implausible plot and I also find it kind of difficult to follow.
I am giving it 3 stars just because Grisham is such a prolific writer that he can be forgiven if he doesn't always hits the mark.
If you have not read other Grisham's books I suggest you start with some classic (A Time To Kill, The Confessions, The Firm are all wonderful reads if a bid dated now). Out of the more recent Grisham books, I really enjoy Sycamore Row, which to me reads more like his original books.

The Racketeer was just an ok read and the story and characters quickly forgotten. ( )
  irisper012106 | Nov 1, 2015 |
The Racketeer is yet another thriller from John Grisham. The story is Grisham-twisty and keeps you wondering who really did the deed. The characters are engrossing and all of them wouldn't find suburbia a bucket of fun...even the dead guy. Grisham even takes on some social angles, albeit tangentially--maybe the whole book is a social commentary? ( )
  buffalogr | Aug 9, 2015 |
This John Grisham was a little different---I wasn't sure I really liked "Malcolm" and then, with all the ups, downs and sideways of the story. Yes, the ending provided the answers and as even the author's note explained, this was more than ever entirely a work of fiction---no research whatsoever! Given that, it was another good work from Grisham, but not one of my favorites. ( )
  nyiper | Jul 18, 2015 |
Grisham’s novel has been hanging around the best-seller lists for a few weeks now. It’s easy to see why. Grisham is the master of the school of telling the readers what happens rather than showing them, and there’s a huge market for that kind of thing.

In the new book, an Afro-American lawyer is sentenced to prison for a white collar crime he didn’t commit. He sets out to get even with the FBI, the prosecutors and everybody else who locked him up. In ways that might baffle even the Perry Masons of the world, the jailed lawyer succeeds.
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jan 11, 2013)

John Grishamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beutnagel, Jofre HomedesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sappinen, Jorma-VeikkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am a lawyer, and I am in prison.

Read 02-2014. Read in Ft Laud & Providence. Complex scam by framed black lawyer Malcom Bannister to get revenge on the US govt for wrekcing his life

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385535147, Hardcover)

The Racketeer  was one of Amazon's mystery/thriller Best Books of the Month picks for October. A Q&A with the author:

Grisham3Describe The Racketeer in one sentence.

A federal judge is murdered, and our hero in prison knows who did it, and why.

What's on your nightstand/bedside table/Kindle?

Ian McEwan’s latest novel, Sweet Tooth; a friend’s manuscript; and a Kindle Fire loaded with daily newspapers, magazines, and about three dozen books.

Top 3-5 favorite books of all time?

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer; A Confederacy of DuncesThe Grapes of Wrath; Little Drummer Girl

Important book you never read?

There are so many. Atlas Shrugged, though I’ve been told for the past 30 years that it’s unreadable.

Book that made you want to become a writer?

To Kill a Mockingbird made me question race for the first time in my young, insulated, white life. It also inspired me to try and write something great.

Memorable author moment?

I received a note from Harper Lee, along with an autographed first edition of To Kill A Mockingbird.

What's your most prized/treasured possession?

A first edition of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, signed by the author.

Pen envy - book you wish you'd written?

Harry Potter – he’s the only dude I can’t outsell.

Author crush - who's your current author crush?

I’m 57 years old.  Crushes are for sophomores.

What's favorite method of procrastination? Temptation? Vice?

Don’t get me started. I can waste enormous amounts of time, and with no guilt whatsoever. Currently, I’m doing so on the golf course, playing a game that I took up only four years ago and is driving me nuts.

What do you collect?

First editions, primarily Faulkner, Hemingway, and Steinbeck.

Best piece of fan mail you ever got?

The letter began: “As the newly elected President of the Arkansas Bar Association, it is incumbent upon me to suggest various topics for your future novels……” I don’t think I finished reading the letter.

What's next for you?

I’m hard at work on Theo 4 -  “Theodore Boone, The Activist.”

>Read a New York Times review of The Racketeer

(author photo by Bob Krasner)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:16 -0400)

When a federal judge and his secretary fail to appear for a scheduled trial and panicked clerks call for an FBI investigation, a harrowing murder case ensues and culminates in the imprisonment of a lawyer who imparts the story of who killed the judge and why. Given the importance of what they do, and the controversies that often surround them, and the violent people they sometimes confront, it is remarkable that in the history of this country only four active federal judges have been murdered. Judge Raymond Fogletree just became number five. His body was found in the basement of a lakeside cabin he had built himself and frequently used on weekends. When he did not show up for a trial on Monday morning, his law clerks panicked, called the FBI, and in due course the agents found the crime scene. There was no forced entry, no struggle, just two dead bodies, Judge Fogletree and his young secretary. I did not know Judge Fogletree, but I know who killed him, and why. I am a lawyer, and I am in prison. It's a long story.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,949,700 books! | Top bar: Always visible