The Racketeer by John Grisham

The Racketeer (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Grisham

Member:evansdiana
Title:The Racketeer
Authors:John Grisham
Info:Doubleday (2012), Edition: 1st Printing, Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:****1/2

The Racketeer by John Grisham (2012)

English (64)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (1)  All languages (69)
Well written with a bit of uneasiness as the good vs evil battle is turned topsy turvy. ( )
  davevanl | Sep 8, 2014 |
Very entertaining read. ( )
  aujames95 | Jul 7, 2014 |
Small town lawyer Malcom Bannister gets caught up in a money laundering scheme perpetrated by one of his clients, and was convicted despite having no knowledge of what was going on. His rather implausible 10 year sentence lands him in a Federal minimum security "country club" prison and the novel starts 5 years into the sentence.

On the outside, a federal judge is murdered. Obsessively researching the case online, Malcom asks the warden to summon the FBI...he knows who did it, and wants to bargain for his release. What follows reminds me of the movie "Wild Things", replacing the sexy girls with convicts. It's a fun, quick read, but not a particularly smart one. The idea, for instance, that the district attorney would double-down on a deal when the first one doesn't pan out for them seems particularly far-fetched. ( )
  JeffV | Jun 15, 2014 |
Falsely imprisoned for money laundering, small town lawyer Malcolm Bannister hatches a deal to get released early by helping the Feds identify the murderer of a federal judge. The plot is convoluted and clever, at times difficult to follow in the audiobook, but satisfying to the end. ( )
  sleahey | May 29, 2014 |
Grisham back in full form, with a "grand scheme" kind of plot, completely unrealistic but such great fun, that reminded me of his most enjoyable previous books. He still can do it, and do it well! ( )
  tabascofromgudreads | Apr 19, 2014 |
Grisham’s novel has been hanging around the best-seller lists for a few weeks now. It’s easy to see why. Grisham is the master of the school of telling the readers what happens rather than showing them, and there’s a huge market for that kind of thing.

In the new book, an Afro-American lawyer is sentenced to prison for a white collar crime he didn’t commit. He sets out to get even with the FBI, the prosecutors and everybody else who locked him up. In ways that might baffle even the Perry Masons of the world, the jailed lawyer succeeds.
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jan 11, 2013)

John Grishamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beutnagel, Jofre HomedesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sappinen, Jorma-VeikkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am a lawyer, and I am in prison.

Read 02-2014. Read in Ft Laud & Providence. Complex scam by framed black lawyer Malcom Bannister to get revenge on the US govt for wrekcing his life

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385535147, Hardcover)

The Racketeer  was one of Amazon's mystery/thriller Best Books of the Month picks for October. A Q&A with the author:

Grisham3Describe The Racketeer in one sentence.

A federal judge is murdered, and our hero in prison knows who did it, and why.

What's on your nightstand/bedside table/Kindle?

Ian McEwan’s latest novel, Sweet Tooth; a friend’s manuscript; and a Kindle Fire loaded with daily newspapers, magazines, and about three dozen books.

Top 3-5 favorite books of all time?

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer; A Confederacy of DuncesThe Grapes of Wrath; Little Drummer Girl

Important book you never read?

There are so many. Atlas Shrugged, though I’ve been told for the past 30 years that it’s unreadable.

Book that made you want to become a writer?

To Kill a Mockingbird made me question race for the first time in my young, insulated, white life. It also inspired me to try and write something great.

Memorable author moment?

I received a note from Harper Lee, along with an autographed first edition of To Kill A Mockingbird.

What's your most prized/treasured possession?

A first edition of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, signed by the author.

Pen envy - book you wish you'd written?

Harry Potter – he’s the only dude I can’t outsell.

Author crush - who's your current author crush?

I’m 57 years old.  Crushes are for sophomores.

What's favorite method of procrastination? Temptation? Vice?

Don’t get me started. I can waste enormous amounts of time, and with no guilt whatsoever. Currently, I’m doing so on the golf course, playing a game that I took up only four years ago and is driving me nuts.

What do you collect?

First editions, primarily Faulkner, Hemingway, and Steinbeck.

Best piece of fan mail you ever got?

The letter began: “As the newly elected President of the Arkansas Bar Association, it is incumbent upon me to suggest various topics for your future novels……” I don’t think I finished reading the letter.

What's next for you?

I’m hard at work on Theo 4 -  “Theodore Boone, The Activist.”

>Read a New York Times review of The Racketeer

(author photo by Bob Krasner)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:11 -0400)

When a federal judge and his secretary fail to appear for a scheduled trial and panicked clerks call for an FBI investigation, a harrowing murder case ensues and culminates in the imprisonment of a lawyer who imparts the story of who killed the judge and why. Given the importance of what they do, and the controversies that often surround them, and the violent people they sometimes confront, it is remarkable that in the history of this country only four active federal judges have been murdered. Judge Raymond Fogletree just became number five. His body was found in the basement of a lakeside cabin he had built himself and frequently used on weekends. When he did not show up for a trial on Monday morning, his law clerks panicked, called the FBI, and in due course the agents found the crime scene. There was no forced entry, no struggle, just two dead bodies, Judge Fogletree and his young secretary. I did not know Judge Fogletree, but I know who killed him, and why. I am a lawyer, and I am in prison. It's a long story.… (more)

1116 wanted6 pay15 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,724,313 books! | Top bar: Always visible