The Racketeer by John Grisham

The Racketeer (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Grisham

Member:FCH123
Title:The Racketeer
Authors:John Grisham
Info:Doubleday (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Read in 2013
Rating:***

The Racketeer by John Grisham (2012)

English (89)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All (94)
3.5 stars

Malcolm is very smart. I really liked how he worked everything out. I did figure a lot of what was happening out ahead of time and feel that some of the people he tricked should have been a little quicker on the uptake. Definitely entertaining. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
When a federal judge named Raymond Fawcett is found murdered in his isolated mountain cabin, things get intense. The most important question is why did a judge of very modest means need the large state-of-the-art safe that was found hidden behind a bookcase emptied of its contents?

The judge's young secretary/lover who was found tortured and murdered beside him. The assumption is that the killers tortured her to force the judge to open the safe before killing the two of them.

Since Fawcett is only the fifth active federal judge ever to have been murdered, the F.B.I. assembles a huge task force to track down the killer or killers, but the task force is virtually at a standstill. No one has any idea what might have been in the judge's safe and the careful killers left no trace of themselves behind. There are no witnesses, no clues of any kind, and no real suspects.

Enter disbarred attorney Malcolm Bannister sitting in a federal prison camp near Frostburg, Maryland, with five years left on a ten-year senence. Bannister is actually an innocent victim who got caught up in a net thrown by an ambitious prosecuting attorney who abused the RICO statues to convict him. While in prison Bannister has been using his time wisely and now he has cooked up an intricate plan that could change his life forever. He knows what was in the safe and who killed Judge Fawcett to get it.

Through the warden, Bannister contacts the F.B.I. and offers to make a trade: his freedom for the information he possesses. His offer sets off a great game of cat-and-mouse between Bannister and the authorities.

There's a significant turn in the action that occurs about halfway through making you feel as if you might be reading a different book with the same characters. Grisham as usual pulls it all together in the end which always satisfies this reader. BUT i did not see the ending coming. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
This was a perfect book to read at the lake for the beginning of summer. It moved right along, had interesting characters and some plot twists that I didn't expect. ( )
  400mom | Nov 23, 2016 |
3.5 stars - just on principal can't give Grisham 4 stars until he returns to [b:The Firm|1001556|The Firm|John Grisham|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1336151961s/1001556.jpg|38270] or [b:A Time To Kill|907830|A Time To Kill|John Grisham|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1280501786s/907830.jpg|1804929] form, but this book is very clever, an incredibly fast read and pure entertainment. Cliched as it sounds - this book was a rip-roaring ride! ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
This was enjoyable. It kept you guessing on what Malcolm was saying really was the truth. You don't really get to know the characters much and it did leave one of the characters kind of hanging. Other than that it was a page turner and fast paced. A typical Grisham book worth reading. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
Grisham’s novel has been hanging around the best-seller lists for a few weeks now. It’s easy to see why. Grisham is the master of the school of telling the readers what happens rather than showing them, and there’s a huge market for that kind of thing.

In the new book, an Afro-American lawyer is sentenced to prison for a white collar crime he didn’t commit. He sets out to get even with the FBI, the prosecutors and everybody else who locked him up. In ways that might baffle even the Perry Masons of the world, the jailed lawyer succeeds.
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jan 11, 2013)

John Grishamprimary authorall editionscalculated
Beutnagel, Jofre HomedesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sappinen, Jorma-VeikkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am a lawyer, and I am in prison. It's a long story.

Read 02-2014. Read in Ft Laud & Providence. Complex scam by framed black lawyer Malcom Bannister to get revenge on the US govt for wrekcing his life

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385535147, Hardcover)

The Racketeer  was one of Amazon's mystery/thriller Best Books of the Month picks for October. A Q&A with the author:

Grisham3Describe The Racketeer in one sentence.

A federal judge is murdered, and our hero in prison knows who did it, and why.

What's on your nightstand/bedside table/Kindle?

Ian McEwan’s latest novel, Sweet Tooth; a friend’s manuscript; and a Kindle Fire loaded with daily newspapers, magazines, and about three dozen books.

Top 3-5 favorite books of all time?

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer; A Confederacy of DuncesThe Grapes of Wrath; Little Drummer Girl

Important book you never read?

There are so many. Atlas Shrugged, though I’ve been told for the past 30 years that it’s unreadable.

Book that made you want to become a writer?

To Kill a Mockingbird made me question race for the first time in my young, insulated, white life. It also inspired me to try and write something great.

Memorable author moment?

I received a note from Harper Lee, along with an autographed first edition of To Kill A Mockingbird.

What's your most prized/treasured possession?

A first edition of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, signed by the author.

Pen envy - book you wish you'd written?

Harry Potter – he’s the only dude I can’t outsell.

Author crush - who's your current author crush?

I’m 57 years old.  Crushes are for sophomores.

What's favorite method of procrastination? Temptation? Vice?

Don’t get me started. I can waste enormous amounts of time, and with no guilt whatsoever. Currently, I’m doing so on the golf course, playing a game that I took up only four years ago and is driving me nuts.

What do you collect?

First editions, primarily Faulkner, Hemingway, and Steinbeck.

Best piece of fan mail you ever got?

The letter began: “As the newly elected President of the Arkansas Bar Association, it is incumbent upon me to suggest various topics for your future novels……” I don’t think I finished reading the letter.

What's next for you?

I’m hard at work on Theo 4 -  “Theodore Boone, The Activist.”

>Read a New York Times review of The Racketeer

(author photo by Bob Krasner)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:16 -0400)

When a federal judge and his secretary fail to appear for a scheduled trial and panicked clerks call for an FBI investigation, a harrowing murder case ensues and culminates in the imprisonment of a lawyer who imparts the story of who killed the judge and why. Given the importance of what they do, and the controversies that often surround them, and the violent people they sometimes confront, it is remarkable that in the history of this country only four active federal judges have been murdered. Judge Raymond Fogletree just became number five. His body was found in the basement of a lakeside cabin he had built himself and frequently used on weekends. When he did not show up for a trial on Monday morning, his law clerks panicked, called the FBI, and in due course the agents found the crime scene. There was no forced entry, no struggle, just two dead bodies, Judge Fogletree and his young secretary. I did not know Judge Fogletree, but I know who killed him, and why. I am a lawyer, and I am in prison. It's a long story.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,652,104 books! | Top bar: Always visible