The Cadet of Tildor by Alex Lidell

The Cadet of Tildor

by Alex Lidell

I had high expectations going into this book, and at first I was a bit let down. The main character, Renee, starts out a little two-dimensional in some ways. I think this was done on purpose though as she develops so much through the book and grows into a really interesting, three-dimensional character by the end. I loved seeing that. There are interesting moral questions raised in this book and it was interesting to think about them. I'm looking forward to the sequel! ( )
  RoseCrossed | Jul 22, 2014 |
A fantasy novel, The Cadet of Tildor, tells the story of a girl who wants to serve her country.

Cadet Renee de Winter turns her back on her unloving father and chooses the Academy to be a Servant of the Crown. The Academy of Tildor allows all students to be equal—no favors to the rich or anyone else. Each student must prove his/her own abilities. Many do not make it, so it’s an elite solider. Renee is smaller and weaker, so she is on probation. If she can’t pass all areas, she’ll be out of the Academy with no home. Her roommate, Sasha, is the cousin to the king. Alec is one of her best friends. They are surprised to learn that the Commander of the 7th, Korish Savoy, will be pulled from the field to be their instructor.

Savoy doesn’t give Renee an inch. He makes her learn how to sword fight with finesse instead of strength because she can’t win on strength. With three factions warring for power, the King, the Family, and the Madam, someone wants Savoy dead and someone wants to protect him. Renee is pulled into this mystery when Savoy’s young brother is kidnapped and Renee knows she’ll be kicked out of the Academy. With Alec, Savoy, Connor Seaborn, and the dog, they leave to rescue Diam.

If you like fantasy, you’ll like this novel. It’s a page-turner. I will say that you shouldn’t expect any romance. It’s listed as a standalone novel, which I really like because it’s hard keeping up with so many series, but it has the potential to be more than one novel. ( )
  acargile | Jun 17, 2014 |
At the Academy of Tildor, the training ground for elite soldiers, Cadet Renee de Winter struggles to keep up with her male peers, but when her mentor is kidnapped to fight in illegal gladiator games, Renee and best friend Alec struggle to do what is right in a world of crime and political intrigue. ( )
  ShellyPYA | Feb 28, 2014 |
See the full review at Short & Sweet Reviews.

The Cadet of Tildor follows Renee de Winter, who is studying to be a soldier to enter into service to the Crown. It's a difficult path, and by the time the story starts, she is the only girl who hasn't been cut from the soldier track at the Academy. She struggles to prove herself against the boys in her class, who are bigger, faster, and stronger. I enjoyed the fact that Renee wasn't a flawless character, and this includes the fact that she's very close to being sent home for not being good enough. I like seeing ladies who can hold their own against men twice their size, but I also like seeing ladies who have to learn to adapt to be able to fight. It's more realistic than just "knowing" how to fight off men who are stronger than you. Renee struggles, she makes mistakes, and then she learns from them, without ever being arrogant. She wallows a bit in misery when some bad things happen, but in this case, it seems like some well-deserved wallowing and she eventually moves past it.

This story is just awesome. There are enough political machinations to satisfy fans of meaty universes like Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel's Legacy series or George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire books. It can be challenging to put all of the pieces of the puzzle together to understand who is fighting against the Crown and why, but I don't think that a plot involving lots of layers of political intrigue should be so easy to put together. There are some genuine surprises in the book, and all of the characters experience a lot of growth, which is something you don't always see. Korish Savoy, a military commander temporarily reassigned to teach Cadets, is someone who Renee goes from seeing as an untouchable idol (true) to an immature jerk (also true) to a trusted friend (true). I would read a book just about Korish because he is a pretty complex guy who we mostly only see through Renee's eyes. ( )
  goorgoahead | Dec 4, 2013 |
Review to come ( )
  CherieReads | Sep 23, 2013 |

At the Academy of Tildor, the training ground for elite soldiers, Cadet Renee de Winter struggles to keep up with her male peers, but when her mentor is kidnapped to fight in illegal gladiator games, Renee and best friend Alec struggle to do what is right in a world of crime of political intrigue.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,479,766 books! | Top bar: Always visible