The Wards of Faerie by Terry Brooks
Collections:Read, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:fantasy

The Wards of Faerie by Terry Brooks

This book is the first in a trilogy of which the Druids undertake a quest to find a magic lost to the world since the time of the faerie. Whilst they are out on their quest, however, they leave themselves open to attack from the federation of men who want to see the druids and all magic wiped from the world.

What follows is the beginning of what appears to be another gripping adventure for the Shannara world and possibly the beginning of a completely new era for the residents of the four lands. ( )
  Jawin | Dec 27, 2013 |
The Dark Legacy of Shannara isn't intended to be a direct canon for the original series. Instead, a person could start the series without a primary motivation to read the excessive Shannara universe by the author.

The book began with the discovery of an ancient diary written by an elvish teenager who fell in love and was betrayed when her lover stole several elfstones which were missing for thousands of years. The book is largely centered around the druid Aphenglow Elessendil and the druid's enigmatic leader Ard Rhys Khyber Elessendil and the quest for the elfstones.

As much as I enjoy the easy language and fast pacing of the novel, I couldn't quite find myself enjoying the book as a whole. On the first chapter, I think the author does wonderful trying to imitate a teenage girl's voice but somehow the juvenile writing and surprisingly sanitized version of the girl's sexscapes has somehow leads to a grand quest of finding magical stones of power.

Other than that, I do feel some of the character motivation in the book aren't strong enough and sometimes out of the blue without primary development until their eventual demise which reminded me of Final Fantasy disposable stock characters.

Later, I begin to question Terry Brooks' capabilities to develop good storylines that centered around strong female characters. He does tend to reduce Aphenglow into a damsel in distress and seems very natural around the much gentler perfectly damsel Arlingphant Elessendil, Aphenglow's sister. I am totally fine with Aphenglow kicking asses and saving the day, I couldn't quite buy the tendency to render her as a 'fragile' strong female character by forcing her to be disabled at a point, being protected and coddled by several of the characters. The only disturbing scene involving her in the book was the fact one antagonist have a sudden heightened motivation to have her tongue and hands cut off and wanted her to be raped by his soldiers just because she openly defied him at a standoff.

Other than airships and the occasional Final Fantasy references, the book is entertaining. But not much a fodder for discussion on depth except for the lack of it. Luckily the second book is much nicer. ( )
  aoibhealfae | Sep 23, 2013 |

aoibhealfae | Sep 23, 2013 |
It's really a 3.5 rating but I'll give Brooks that half-a-star here.
This is easily the best Shannara novel since maybe [b:Antrax|92846|Antrax (Voyage of the Jerle Shannara, #2)|Terry Brooks|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348722652s/92846.jpg|2990120] - definitely since [b:Armageddon's Children|15549|Armageddon's Children (Genesis of Shannara, #1)|Terry Brooks|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1166673244s/15549.jpg|1112930] - and my waning faith in the series has been tentatively restored... but it isn't all the way back yet. The writing, for the first time, shows some serious flaws (with an overwhelming and obvious amount of unnecessary repetition) and while it's nice to have some characters speaking logically and rationally, I'm still a little stumped as to the impulse decisions that leader-characters are making here.
But the pieces are put on the board to make this the most dynamic trilogy in a long time. There are elements from the best novels of the past all coming together to put the Four Lands at a real serious crossroads - one that has the potential to seriously and interestingly change things. Here's hoping that it does - because I finished this book (which started slowly) at a hell of a clip and am now impatient for books 2 & 3. Which, in an interesting and wonderful publishing coup, are both coming out this year.

Anyway, more about my tentative excitement at RB: http://wp.me/pGVzJ-En ( )
  drewsof | Jul 9, 2013 |
Was looking forward to finding someone to fill the void between Terry Goodkind and George R.R. Martin releases for my fantasy fix. Terry Brooks was an author that I have had on my radar for some time and seen "The Dark Legacy of Shannara" as a good opportunity to enter the franchise. I was very disappointed in the first book of this trilogy to the point that I'm not going to continue and may not try another Terry Brooks novel for some time. Maybe this was just a dud for Brooks and not a good reflection of his talents or maybe I just do not have enough background in the Shannara Universe. But I felt it was rushed in a lot of area's with poor character development. To many times I found myself thinking what a stupid decision the characters were making. This review is for someone like myself who has never read any of Brooks work before, start earlier in the franchise because this one just sucked. ( )
  capetowncanada | Apr 13, 2013 |
For Judineheart
forever is my
It was almost one year to the day after she began her search of the Elven histories that Aphenglow Elessedil found the diary.

Seven years after the conclusion of the High Druid of Shannara trilogy, New York Times bestselling author Terry Brooks at last revisits one of the most popular eras in the legendary epic fantasy series that has spellbound readers for more than three decades.

When the world was young, and its name was Faerie, the power of magic ruled—and the Elfstones warded the race of Elves and their lands, keeping evil at bay. But when an Elven girl fell hopelessly in love with a Darkling boy of the Void, he carried away more than her heart.

Thousands of years later, tumultuous times are upon the world now known as the Four Lands. Users of magic are in conflict with proponents of science. Elves have distanced their society from the other races. The dwindling Druid order and its teachings are threatened with extinction. A sinister politician has used treachery and murder to rise as prime minister of the mighty Federation. Meanwhile, poring through a long-forgotten diary, the young Druid Aphenglow Elessedil has stumbled upon the secret account of an Elven girl’s heartbreak and the shocking truth about the vanished Elfstones. But never has a little knowledge been so very dangerous—as Aphenglow quickly learns when she’s set upon by assassins.

Yet there can be no turning back from the road to which fate has steered her. For whoever captures the Elfstones and their untold powers will surely hold the advantage in the devastating clash to come. But Aphenglow and her allies—Druids, Elves, and humans alike—remember the monstrous history of the Demon War, and they know that the Four Lands will never survive another reign of darkness. But whether they themselves can survive the attempt to stem that tide is another question entirely.

“[Terry Brooks is] the most important fantasy writer since J.R.R. Tolkien.”—Rocky Mountain News

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:26 -0400)

During a tumultuous period in the Four Lands, young Druid Aphenglow stumbles on a dangerous secret about an Elven girl's heartbreak and the vanished Elfstones. Set seven years after the High Druid series.

132 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,357,056 books! | Top bar: Always visible