The Wards of Faerie by Terry Brooks
Authors:Terry Brooks
Info:Orbit (2012), Hardcover
Collections:Your library, Read

The Wards of Faerie by Terry Brooks

Excellent book, but I should have waited longer, then I wouldn't have so long to read the next one! In case anyone is interested Suvudu and Terry Brooks are doing some promos for it, I was able to read the first chapter of Bloodfire quest here

Also has made me want to go back to the beginning, and read the whole series, which I haven't done yet.
  Vinbert | Nov 22, 2015 |

Vinbert | Nov 22, 2015 |
Just OK, yes. With such a promising beginning, foretelling an epic quest, where everybody either die or come back broken, the delivery disappointed. The first book is a getting ready part, where nothing of substance happens. Some people die, but those deaths are received in such a detached manner that it is surprising that we are reading about actual (mainly) human beings with real emotions and feelings. Emotions, though? Scratch that. Sense of duty and sense of duty only, with nothing else being important. I did love the writing and the elevated language and thought processes, but when is some action going to begin? Part two, hopefully. ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |
This book is the first in a trilogy of which the Druids undertake a quest to find a magic lost to the world since the time of the faerie. Whilst they are out on their quest, however, they leave themselves open to attack from the federation of men who want to see the druids and all magic wiped from the world.

What follows is the beginning of what appears to be another gripping adventure for the Shannara world and possibly the beginning of a completely new era for the residents of the four lands. ( )
  Jawin | Dec 27, 2013 |
The Dark Legacy of Shannara isn't intended to be a direct canon for the original series. Instead, a person could start the series without a primary motivation to read the excessive Shannara universe by the author.

The book began with the discovery of an ancient diary written by an elvish teenager who fell in love and was betrayed when her lover stole several elfstones which were missing for thousands of years. The book is largely centered around the druid Aphenglow Elessendil and the druid's enigmatic leader Ard Rhys Khyber Elessendil and the quest for the elfstones.

As much as I enjoy the easy language and fast pacing of the novel, I couldn't quite find myself enjoying the book as a whole. On the first chapter, I think the author does wonderful trying to imitate a teenage girl's voice but somehow the juvenile writing and surprisingly sanitized version of the girl's sexscapes has somehow leads to a grand quest of finding magical stones of power.

Other than that, I do feel some of the character motivation in the book aren't strong enough and sometimes out of the blue without primary development until their eventual demise which reminded me of Final Fantasy disposable stock characters.

Later, I begin to question Terry Brooks' capabilities to develop good storylines that centered around strong female characters. He does tend to reduce Aphenglow into a damsel in distress and seems very natural around the much gentler perfectly damsel Arlingphant Elessendil, Aphenglow's sister. I am totally fine with Aphenglow kicking asses and saving the day, I couldn't quite buy the tendency to render her as a 'fragile' strong female character by forcing her to be disabled at a point, being protected and coddled by several of the characters. The only disturbing scene involving her in the book was the fact one antagonist have a sudden heightened motivation to have her tongue and hands cut off and wanted her to be raped by his soldiers just because she openly defied him at a standoff.

Other than airships and the occasional Final Fantasy references, the book is entertaining. But not much a fodder for discussion on depth except for the lack of it. Luckily the second book is much nicer. ( )
  aoibhealfae | Sep 23, 2013 |
For Judineheart
forever is my
It was almost one year to the day after she began her search of the Elven histories that Aphenglow Elessedil found the diary.

Seven years after the conclusion of the High Druid of Shannara trilogy, New York Times bestselling author Terry Brooks at last revisits one of the most popular eras in the legendary epic fantasy series that has spellbound readers for more than three decades.
When the world was young, and its name was Faerie, the power of magic ruled—and the Elfstones warded the race of Elves and their lands, keeping evil at bay. But when an Elven girl fell hopelessly in love with a Darkling boy of the Void, he carried away more than her heart.
Thousands of years later, tumultuous times are upon the world now known as the Four Lands. Users of magic are in conflict with proponents of science. Elves have distanced their society from the other races. The dwindling Druid order and its teachings are threatened with extinction. A sinister politician has used treachery and murder to rise as prime minister of the mighty Federation. Meanwhile, poring through a long-forgotten diary, the young Druid Aphenglow Elessedil has stumbled upon the secret account of an Elven girl’s heartbreak and the shocking truth about the vanished Elfstones. But never has a little knowledge been so very dangerous—as Aphenglow quickly learns when she’s set upon by assassins.
Yet there can be no turning back from the road to which fate has steered her. For whoever captures the Elfstones and their untold powers will surely hold the advantage in the devastating clash to come. But Aphenglow and her allies—Druids, Elves, and humans alike—remember the monstrous history of the Demon War, and they know that the Four Lands will never survive another reign of darkness. But whether they themselves can survive the attempt to stem that tide is another question entirely.
“[Terry Brooks is] the most important fantasy writer since J.R.R. Tolkien.”—Rocky Mountain News

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:59 -0400)

During a tumultuous period in the Four Lands, young Druid Aphenglow stumbles on a dangerous secret about an Elven girl's heartbreak and the vanished Elfstones. Set seven years after the High Druid series.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,865,895 books! | Top bar: Always visible