Off Balance by Dominique Moceanu

Off Balance (edition 2012)

by Dominique Moceanu, Paul and Teri Williams, Paul and Teri Williams (Contributor)

Title:Off Balance
Authors:Dominique Moceanu
Other authors:Paul and Teri Williams, Paul and Teri Williams (Contributor)
Info:Touchstone (2012), Kindle Edition, 256 pages

Off Balance: A Memoir by Dominique Moceanu

I happened to see that Dominique Moceanu had written a memoir, so I thought it would be something a little different to read. It starts with her discovery when she is in her 20s that she has a sister who was born without legs that was given up for adoption right after she was born. The book alternates between Dominique developing a relationship with her long lost sister and stories of her gymnastics career. She tells of her abusive father who pushed too hard, the emotional abuse inflicted on her by Bela and Marta Karolyi as she trained for the 1996 Olympics, her experiments with drugs and alcohol after her early stardom, the lawsuit she filed against her parents for basically stealing all the money she made, struggles with body image, etc.

The writing style was juvenile with a lot of italics and exclamation points, but it made it a quick read, and I honestly couldn’t put it down.
1 vote klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
Ms. Moceanu's book is a touching and fulfilling peek into the unberbelly of the gynmastics world. ( )
  Birdo82 | Jul 26, 2014 |
This was a fun book and I really felt like I learned a lot about gymnastics and Dominique from this book. However, at times it seemed a little too "politically correct" about certain aspects of her life. ( )
  KamGeb | Nov 9, 2013 |
Dominique has such an amazing story that it's a shame that this book isn't better. It was easy to read and engaging, but it often felt like a life summary instead of a life story. I got this book after watching the amazing segment about her and her sister on HBO's Real Sports, but it didn't really seem like I learned a lot more from the book than I did from the tv. It still was an enjoyable and interesting read, but I really think she could have used better collaborators who could have gotten her to go a little deeper. ( )
  DDay | Mar 15, 2013 |
What is it that drives us to achieve almost superhuman feats of physical prowess? In many cases it appears that a dysfunctional family is lurking in the background, as is the case with Dominique Moceanu, 1996 Olympic Gold medalist. This book is really a fascinating read, and it has it all - - overbearing father, abuse, vicious coaches, nurturing coaches, tales of practice, heartbreak, financial ruin, drugs, and elite-level gymnastics. A quick read, to be sure, but a fascinating look at the underside of elite gymnastics. I have to say that this book does not paint a flattering picture of the Karolyi camp or its influence on the US gymnastics program. Worth reading. ( )
  Meggo | Jan 12, 2013 |

Dominique Moceanuprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, Paulsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, Terisecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

At fourteen, Dominique Moceanu was the youngest member of the 1996 U.S. Women's Olympic Gymnastic team, the first and only American women's team to take gold at the Olympics. Her pixie-like appearance, passion for the sport, and ferocious competitive drive quickly earned her the status of media darling. But behind the fame, the flawless floor routines, and the million-dollar smile, her life was a series of challenges and hardships. From her stubborn father and long-suffering mother, to her notorious coach, Bela Karolyi, Off Balance reveals how each of the dominating characters contributed to her rise to the top. She shares the stories of competition, her years of hiding injuries and pain out of fear of retribution, and how she hit rock bottom after being publicly scorned by her father. But medals, murder plots, drugs, and daring escapes aside, the most unique aspect of her life is the family secret that Moceanu discovers, opening a new and unexpected chapter in her adult life.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,900,681 books! | Top bar: Always visible