Off Balance by Dominique Moceanu

Off Balance (edition 2012)

by Dominique Moceanu, Paul and Teri Williams, Paul and Teri Williams (Contributor)

Member:BookPurring
Title:Off Balance
Authors:Dominique Moceanu
Other authors:Paul and Teri Williams, Paul and Teri Williams (Contributor)
Info:Touchstone (2012), Kindle Edition, 256 pages
Rating:***

Off Balance: A Memoir by Dominique Moceanu

This was a fun book and I really felt like I learned a lot about gymnastics and Dominique from this book. However, at times it seemed a little too "politically correct" about certain aspects of her life. ( )
  KamGeb | Nov 9, 2013 |
Dominique has such an amazing story that it's a shame that this book isn't better. It was easy to read and engaging, but it often felt like a life summary instead of a life story. I got this book after watching the amazing segment about her and her sister on HBO's Real Sports, but it didn't really seem like I learned a lot more from the book than I did from the tv. It still was an enjoyable and interesting read, but I really think she could have used better collaborators who could have gotten her to go a little deeper. ( )
  DDay | Mar 15, 2013 |
What is it that drives us to achieve almost superhuman feats of physical prowess? In many cases it appears that a dysfunctional family is lurking in the background, as is the case with Dominique Moceanu, 1996 Olympic Gold medalist. This book is really a fascinating read, and it has it all - - overbearing father, abuse, vicious coaches, nurturing coaches, tales of practice, heartbreak, financial ruin, drugs, and elite-level gymnastics. A quick read, to be sure, but a fascinating look at the underside of elite gymnastics. I have to say that this book does not paint a flattering picture of the Karolyi camp or its influence on the US gymnastics program. Worth reading. ( )
  Meggo | Jan 12, 2013 |
I love the Magnificent Seven, so when this memoir was released back in the summer I made a mental note of reading it during the winter break (school work etc). It's no surprised my favorite chapters of this memoir were those that deal with gymnastics and Domi's experience in the Olympics. I often skimmed the chapters in between because I knew an Olympics/Gymnastics chapter was coming up. I have to say I found it hard to be interested in Moceanu's personal chapters regarding her sister Jennifer, sure the story is shocking and interesting at first. Moceanu's parent's gave Jennifer up for adoption and Dominique never knew until later in life. But once that loses the shock value, which is pretty quickly, since it's in the summary for the book, I just wanted to move on to the Olympic chapters. As well there's some juicy gossip on the Karolys which I found entertaining. ( )
  BookPurring | Jan 6, 2013 |
I love reading about gymnastics and this one did not disappoint. So glad she connected with the sister she never knew she had. The amount of work, pain, and starvation these poor girls go through. I will never look at the Karolis with admiration again, rather with disdain. Remarkable how rounded Dominique turned out despite everything she went through. ( )
  Beamis12 | Aug 26, 2012 |

Dominique Moceanuprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, Paulsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, Terisecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

At fourteen, Dominique Moceanu was the youngest member of the 1996 U.S. Women's Olympic Gymnastic team, the first and only American women's team to take gold at the Olympics. Her pixie-like appearance, passion for the sport, and ferocious competitive drive quickly earned her the status of media darling. But behind the fame, the flawless floor routines, and the million-dollar smile, her life was a series of challenges and hardships. From her stubborn father and long-suffering mother, to her notorious coach, Bela Karolyi, Off Balance reveals how each of the dominating characters contributed to her rise to the top. She shares the stories of competition, her years of hiding injuries and pain out of fear of retribution, and how she hit rock bottom after being publicly scorned by her father. But medals, murder plots, drugs, and daring escapes aside, the most unique aspect of her life is the family secret that Moceanu discovers, opening a new and unexpected chapter in her adult life.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,490,091 books! | Top bar: Always visible