The Abbot's Gibbet by Michael Jecks
202382,313 (3.51)7

Synopsis: A man accused of murder returns to town but is not recognized. Very shortly people are murdered and robbed. However, there are several suspects, including a Venetian and his son; they are also accused of theft. It's up to the Bailiff and the knight to sort out what really happened.
Review: This is a nicely twisted story with lots of possibilities and a good ending. ( )
  DrLed | Aug 5, 2017 |
I have virtually all of Jecks' works. I am new to Library Things so am not going to go into great detail except to say that he has given me many hours of reading pleasure and largley give him 5 stars. Although it has been some years since I found one of the later stories, I was, at the time, prompted to find the first in the series, etc. It is grand that both his former publisher and his new publisher (Simon & Schuster UK) are republishing his books in print and other formats. I have given Jecks 5 star reviews over the years since I stumbled on to him. As to his research, historically it is from primary sources wherein he writes plausible tales into the historical setting. ( )
  Bookaholic2 | Mar 16, 2015 |
A great many characters to contend with. As the series continues it seems that the sidekick, Simon, has less to contribute. ( )
  DWWilkin | Nov 15, 2008 |

It is 1319.  Tavistock's fair has drawn merchants to Devon from all over England and beyond. Although the influx of visitors and their money puts temptation in the way of cut-purses and other villains, no one expects a murder. So butcher Will Ruby is shocked to discover a headless corpse. Former Knight Templar Sir Baldwin Furnshill, Keeper of the King's Peace, and Simon Puttock, Bailiff of Lydford, have just arrived in Tavistock as guests of Abbot Robert Champeaux when the body is found. When the Abbot asks Simon and Baldwin to investigate, they can hardly refuse. But with an unidentifiable victim, they're badly hampered in their inquiries. Can Simon and Baldwin unravel the complex web of intrigue that has brought death to Tavistock, as the undercurrent of anger and violence that lies beneath the bustling activity of the fair grows ever fiercer?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:32 -0400)

In these hilarious stories of perverse meetings, casual dates and romantic encounters, we are enthralled, saddened, inspired and surprised by the encounters we witness. Alexander McCall Smith, a master of the unexpected and a seamless storyteller, revels in offering us the quirky complications inherent in entanglements which human beings engineer for themselvesU entanglements that can be shocking, edifying, compulsive, complicated and sometimes completely disastrous.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,067,481 books! | Top bar: Always visible