Hidden by P. C. Cast

English (23)  German (1)  All languages (24)
I hate that I always have to wait so long for the next book!!!!

Ok, the Cast girls have done it again, I loved this book. The struggle of Aurox was clear. Zoey, though some see her as a weak character, faces her fears head on time after time, this shows courage. Stevie Rae is coming into her own as a leader in her own right. And I'm loving seeing Shaylin's character grow. I'm very curious to see if Erin and Kalona continue on the paths they've chosen or will they turn back to what they once knew. I'd also like to see the High Council more involved and not just through Thanatos. And the confirmation of suspicions cast in book 9 revealed at the end of this book have me salivating for the next installment! ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
Neferet continues to be evil – and has decided the next step in her evilness is to kidnap and sacrifice Sylvia Redbird, Zoey’s grandmother. Naturally Zoey and the gang run to the rescue, even though the Vampire High Council is providing no support for their efforts. They also need to be careful with their public persona as Neferet is starting to launch a public relations battle with the human authorities.

It does give Aurox a chance to make a choice about who he wants to be and which side he is on.

We need to take a moment to look at the overall story arc of these books – because I’m on book 10 now and it’s not quite holding together.

The overall meta is that Neferet is a big bad evil who must be stopped. And if you preserve your thinking to that very shallow depth (understandable since deep thinking and the House of Night Series go together like Canadians and tropical weather) then that kind of holds together. Neferet does evil things, Zoey and co then respond to stop her. But what does Neferet actually want? And, no “evil” is not a motive. So we have Neferet rather belatedly acquiring a motive: she wants “control” rather than just power (which I’m taking to mean no accountability. Which I’ll let pass… except all of Neferet’s power now seems to come from her having to repeatedly bleed and beg for help from her Evil Cow. How does she have more power than she had before?). And to get this power she’s going to make humans and vampires fight each other and then she can swoop into the ashes and be confident she’ll take over

Ok, let’s suppose for a moment that this plan has a chance of working when she’s pretty much setting herself up as a number one target in the giant war she’s planning on starting. Let’s let that go for now and instead ask:

WHY THE HELL ARE YOU IN TULSA?!

Look if you want a global conflict, it’s not going to start in Tulsa (no insult to Tulsa, the same applies to my home city or most cities on the planet). In fact, her attempts to manipulate humanity have netted her some shaky control over the mayor of Tulsa. I paused a moment to see if she meant the Governor of Oklahoma. Or a senator. State senator? No, the Mayor of Tulsa. That’s the extent of her power. It’s not even the state capital or the biggest city in Oklahoma! It’s the 47th biggest city in the US. It doesn’t have a significant vampire presence – the most important vampire in this city was Neferet herself.

Even in Tulsa, Neferet ignores the one target that could actually make a difference in this conflict – Thanatos, High Council Member. Thanatos may as well not be there as far as Neferet is concerned – why ignore one of the most influential of the vampires’ leaders? But then, the feeling is mutual! Because facing indisputable proof of Neferet’s evil murderous ways the High Council of Vampires decides the appropriate response is to Not Talk To Her Anymore, so there. I suspect they may also have given her a nasty look. That’s it. Meanwhile Thanatos continually pokes Zoey and co to grow up and be ready to face the big bad evil Neferet and how can you be such nattering children?!

Really, Thanatos? How about you not rely on teenagers to save your entire civilisation? How about you actually DO SOMETHING?

Because this whole broken story comes down to one thing: centring Zoey. So Neferet, rather than actually do anything to further her wicked plans, instead decides to target Zoey again and again and again. She’s killed Zoey’s mother (and if she’d just chosen ANY OTHER HUMAN, she wouldn’t have been discovered by Thanatos) and the entire plot line of this book revolves around Neferet kidnapping Zoey’s grandmother to get a sacrifice to KILL ZOEY, despite KNOWING that Sylvia Redbird is an impossible sacrifice because she isn’t a person, she’s just a collection of Native American mystical stereotypes, a couple of handfuls of feathers and a good cry over environmental destruction from a full trope collection. Neferet has literally paused her entire plan to attack Zoey again. She repeatedly sabotages herself because she must attack those meddling kids!

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Apr 3, 2016 |
Enjoyed this book a lot more than the last in the series - just don't know where they are going to go from here?....Could get a little repetitive if Neferet continues to be the only bad guy... ( )
  SineadB | Dec 7, 2015 |
  SineadB | Dec 7, 2015 |
There was a lot of action in those last few pages. Of course, we are left with another cliff hanger and of course, I can't wait to get my hands on it. I will assume it will be a lot more about Nefert since her novella will be out soon. The Nerd Herd has valiantly battled Darkness once again with many changes in their group and dynamic. I'm very curious about the changes in Erin, Erick and Nicole. Shaylin has proven to be a very good addition to the group, lets just hope it stays that way. I always have so many thoughts after reading these novels that its hard for me to put them into sensible words, but I guess that speaks to how good the book is. 4 Stars

Read With Me: Hidden ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |

P. C. Castprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cast, Kristinmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Neferet's true nature has been revealed to the Vampyre High Council, so Zoey and the gang might finally get some help in defending themselves and their beloved school against a gathering evil that grows stronger every day. And they'll need it, because Neferet's not going down without a fight.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,324,020 books! | Top bar: Always visible