When You Wish Upon a Duke (Wylder Sisters)…

When You Wish Upon a Duke (Wylder Sisters) (edition 2012)

by Isabella Bradford

Member:midge0214
Title:When You Wish Upon a Duke (Wylder Sisters)
Authors:Isabella Bradford
Info:Ballantine Books (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:**1/2
Tags:romance, historical, historical romance, Wylder Sisters Series

When You Wish Upon a Duke by Isabella Bradford

More like 2.5 stars...I received this book through the review program over at netgalley. I originally put it down after the first couple of chapters and did not plan on finishing it. The story is set in mid-18th century England. As a fan of eighteenth century fiction (ie Jane Austen), I had a very hard time accepting the main characters, Charlotte and March, as a true eighteenth century characters.

I did end up picking the book up a second time (well, opening it on my kindle) because I was looking for a quick, easy, and mindless read. Charlotte’s character still bothered me but I finished the book this time. The book did get better. I actually ended up liking the storyline enough to enjoy the book. Bradford introduced a decent (although sad) backstory to explain aspects of March’s character that were plausible and added to the story.

When You Wish Upon a Duke was enjoyable enough. I don’t feel like I wasted my time reading it. I enjoyed the book enough that I know I will find the time to read the other Isabella Bradford romance that I received from for review.

While this isn’t a book that I would recommend for everyone, if you enjoy romances, you just might like this book. ( )
  jsamaha | Mar 14, 2014 |
Although the concept of the "angel in the house" refers to the Victorian ideal of a wife, the attributes recognized and lauded in such a paragon were espoused and looked for by men long before the label came into being. Isabella Bradford's Georgian set historical romance, When You Wish Upon a Duke, plays with both the idea of the proper angel in the house and the angel's counterpart in the bedroom.

Lady Charlotte Wylder is the eldest daughter of an Earl but she, her sisters, and her mother have lived in a remote house in Dorset since her father's early death. She has been able to grow up far from the strictures of proper society, running a bit wild and climbing trees. She vaguely remembers the deep and abiding love between her parents and on the rare occasions she thinks of her future, she hopes to find that too. When a solicitor arrives at Ransom Manor, Lady Charlotte discovers that her future has long been settled and now all she must do is to meet it. Her father and the late Duke of Marchbourne agreed to the marriage of their children when Charlotte was an infant and March, the current Duke, was all of eight. The impetuous, impulsive, but engaging Charlotte will be a Duchess, with all the propriety that entails.

The Duke of Marchebourne is a model of comportment. He is a bit of a stickler for appearance because he still suffers from the stain of his family's history. The first Duke of Marchbourne was the illegitimate son of the King and an actress. And March's father was an unrepentant and rapacious womanizer. So March does everything in his power to maintain decorum and bely not only his base origins but to not avoid behaving like his father. But even the proper March cannot wait until the officially set introduction to meet his prospective bride. Riding to intercept her carriage, he discovers his future wife high in the branches of a tree, rescuing her sister's cat, not exactly the place a future Duchess should be. March, misunderstanding the situation, climbs into the tree himself to rescue Charlotte and finds himself captivated by and definitely attracted to his future bride. From this unconventional meeting, blossoms a lusty courtship and a quick marriage. It is only after their marriage that March and Charlotte face struggles about how to behave both publically and privately with each other. And when each of them seeks advice about their difficulties, what they are told is all wrong.

Charlotte wants to behave with the decorum expected of a Duchess and a lady but privately she is unsatisfied and unhappy. March is worried that he is treating his young, eager to please wife like a lowborn whore rather than the angel in the house. And neither of them can bear to discuss their worries or desires with the other, leading to most of their misunderstandings and low level misery. The conflict between them is slight and they slide fairly easily from arranged marriage into an honest love for each other, so Bradford adds in a baddie and a not entirely necessary plot twist to create more tension between Charlotte and March.

The historical context here is wonderful and knowledgeably detailed. The internal struggle March faces seems to go on a bit long and it is hard to believe that his mentor, Brecon, was once married given the advice he offers his uncertain friend. It also does seem a tad odd that Charlotte is not comfortable talking about sex and pleasure with her husband but will approach her strict and proper Aunt Sophronia, with whom she has not previously had any relationship, to find answers. Quibbles aside, it was interesting to read a romance where the main characters not only liked each other from the start, had a sexual spark (or conflagration), but were also determined to be happy together and love each other rather than constantly sparring. ( )
  whitreidtan | Feb 6, 2014 |
Isabella Bradford -- real name Susan Holloway Scott -- knows her history. I have long enjoyed the blog she writes, with the incomparable Loretta Chase, www.twonerdyhistorygirls.com. Having written many historical novels, including several set in Restoration England, she has now set her hand to historical romance set smack in the middle of Georgian England.

I was prepared to be impressed, but alas this was not to be. When You Wish Upon a Duke is a perfectly okay story, but there's really not much there there.

Lady Charlotte Wylder enters into an arranged marriage with the Duke of Marchbourne. She's been raised in the country by her widowed mother and is a bit of a hoyden; she is determined, however, to become a perfect duchess. March, on the other hand, while young has been a duke for years, and he seems to have no vices. March is the great-grandson of a king (not named, but it would be a fictitious Charles II), via his actress mistress, and even three generations on is still sensitive about his illegitimate origins. Hence, he conducts himself with utmost propriety.

Most of the novel revolves around their problems adjusting to their changed circumstances, especially in the bedroom. After a incendiary wedding night encounter, he suddenly becomes distant and proper. Charlotte, seeking advice from her dragon-aunt, is advised to conduct herself in the bedroom as a lady. In other words, lie back and think of England. Obviously, this does not produce satisfaction, although they do share a growing attachment and love for one another.

The story of how they work things out is very sweet, but it just isn't enough to carry an entire novel. Realizing this, perhaps, the author throws in a bit of scandal involving a notorious marquess, a duel, and babies. It is too little, and way too late, though.

Bradford's writing is so good, and her grasp of the historical setting so adept, however, that I'm sure to read the next installment, as Charlotte's younger sister finds herself in company with yet another duke. ( )
  LadyWesley | Sep 25, 2013 |
This was a funny, sexy, romantic story set in a historic time. I absolutely loved it.It had me chuckling and sadden in turns. I will be keeping my eyes open for more fron this author. I received this book free in return for a honet review.
  NancyLuebke | Jun 5, 2013 |
WHEN YOU WISH UPON A DUKE by Isabella Bradford is an exciting new Regency historical romance series. "Wylder"series #1. What a beginning to a new series.
" Isabella Bradford introduces us to the eldest of three Wylder sisters—unruly country girls whose passion for life leaves their London suitors breathless." Follow
Lady Charlotte Wylder,the eldest Wylder sibling and the Duke of Marchbourne,who is to marry her sight unseen,on a merry chase. Their fathers arranged their marriage when Charlotte was born and the Duke was only a mere 8 years old. With secrets abound,passion,desire boiling over,misunderstandings,scandal,wit,and love you will not regret picking up "When You Wish Upon A Duke". Ms. Bradford leaves you breathless as you follow these country girls on a quest for happiness and a lifetime of love.A very entertaining read! Received for an honest review from the publisher and Net Galley. For more information visit the author's website,Ballantine Books, Random Publishing,and My Book Addiction and More.
RATING: 4.5
HEAT RATING: MILD
REVIEWED BY: AprilR, My Book Addiction and More/My Book Addiction Reviews ( )
  MyBookAddiction | Dec 1, 2012 |
It was only in the midde ot the night that Lady Chalotte Wylder could remember the past.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345527291, Mass Market Paperback)

Author One-on-One: Loretta Chase and Isabella Bradford

Loretta Chase and Isabella Bradford

Best-selling authors Loretta Chase and Isabella Bradford (the penname of Susan Holloway Scott) have been friends forever, a long-distance friendship that occasionally touches down in places as diverse as Colonial Williamsburg and the shoe department at Nordstrom. They blog together as the Two Nerdy History Girls, and talk on the phone, like, every day. Here they talk about Isabella's newest historical romance, When You Wish Upon a Duke.

Loretta Chase: You've had several writer incarnations. How did Isabella happen?

Isabella Bradford: Most recently I'd been writing historical fiction as Susan Holloway Scott. After books filled with court politics and beheadings, it felt time to return to my romance roots and write happy endings again.

L: When You Wish Upon a Duke is the first book in a series. What inspired you?

I: My last historical fiction series centered on the bawdy intrigues of the 17th century court of Charles II. I started thinking about what might happen to all those royal bastards that Charles sired and made into dukes, and how their families might have evolved several generations later. The heroes of this new series are loosely based on real people in the 1760s.

L: Anyone who reads our blog knows that we love to talk about historical dress. My current series (Scandal Wears Satin and Silk Is for Seduction) features dressmakers in 1835. I like how you incorporated the gorgeous Georgian clothes in your book, too.

S: As much as I'm a sucker for laces and silks, I don't ever want to make the story stop for a fashion report. I always try to make the clothes part of the action--for example, Charlotte demonstrates exactly how to undress all the fascinating layers of 18th century male attire when she seduces March.

L: It's obvious that you love these characters and that you got under their skin. What fascinated you most about them?

S: One of the main themes in these books is family. The heroes are cousins, and the heroines are sisters, and I loved the chance to explore how the two extended families come together and how their relationships develop.

L: So what's next for the Wylder sisters?

S: Look for middle sister Lizzie's story in When the Duchess Said Yes, coming in September 2012, followed by youngest sister Diana's story in When the Duke Found Love, November 2012.

L: Good! Now, I just found a fabulous new shoe source…

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:22 -0400)

"Raised in the Dorset countryside, Lady Charlotte Wylder doesn't care one bit about well-bred decorum. The dark-haired, blue-eyed beauty would rather ride a horse than attend a stuffy ball. So when Charlotte learns that she is to leave immediately for London to wed the Duke of Marchbourne, a perfect model of aristocratic propriety, she is less than enchanted with her arranged marriage. But to her delight, their first encounters are brazenly flirtatious, and their wedding night burns with passion. March's broad shoulders and dark countenance make Charlotte want to rip every button off his waistcoast. She may even be falling in love with her new husband. Yet whenever their desire boils over, March reluctantly pushes Charlotte away. Will past secrets and present misunderstandings mire their marriage in scandal, or serve to strengthen a bond that is destined to last a lifetime?"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,699,602 books! | Top bar: Always visible