Scoundrels: Star Wars by Timothy Zahn

Scoundrels: Star Wars (edition 2013)

by Timothy Zahn

Member:geoffgibbs
Title:Scoundrels: Star Wars
Authors:Timothy Zahn
Info:LucasBooks (2013), Mass Market Paperback, 528 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:star wars, sci-fi

Star Wars: Scoundrels by Timothy Zahn

A good non-jedi romp with some good old friends. Sadly, Chewbacca doesn't get much action, but he IS there.

Several times it was mentioned how Han had had the reward from [b:Star Wars: A New Hope|599090|Star Wars A New Hope (Star Wars, #4)|George Lucas|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1349016127s/599090.jpg|123227] stolen from him. Either I missed something in some other novel, or Zahn is setting up info for future novels. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I rather enjoyed this book. I started it right after Zahn's Outbound Flight, a prequel of sorts to his Heir to the Empire trilogy. I was a little disappointed by Outbound Flight, but once I got into this book, I found it was a lot of fun.

Ocean's Eleven in a Star Wars setting is the best way to describe it. You have to assume everything is going to work out in the end, because that is how this kind of story works, but you stick around to see how the author makes it all hang together. I stuck around, and it was well worth it.

Of course, all of this has been relegated to "Legends" status by Disney, but I still get a kick out of what we used to call the Star Wars Extended Universe. ( )
  bespen | Sep 20, 2016 |
I initially chose to read this book because I enjoy Sci-fi, especially Star Wars or Star Trek. After getting into the book, I found the Sci-fi tag was only secondary. The heist and con games unfolding took center stage. The fact that the story used future technology only made the book better. How to break into a safe protected by all these not as yet existent security measures simply fascinated me.

The story begins after Han Solo and his partner Chewbaca helped the rebel alliance destroy the Death Star. Han somehow lost the reward credits he received, so the story starts with Han broke and still owing money to Jabba the Hut, who placed a bounty on Han's head. After witnessing Han handle an altercation in a cantina resulting from the aforementioned bounty, Han is approached by a man, Eanjor, who offered a split of 163 million credits to re-acquire the fortune stolen from his father. Eanjer claimed that after a man named Villachor robbed his father's business, he blew up the building wounding Eanjer and killing his father. Eanjer had a prosthetic hand and eye and was covered with bandages and definately looked injured. Han checked the story and found Eanjer's father was indeed robbed and killed, so he agreed to the job only if he could assemble more people to help with the heist.

The "scoundrels" Han assembled each had their own specialties; a team of twin girls who are expert burglars; a young man expert with explosives; a young woman with a photographic memory; a slight of hand and quick change artist; a space ship / vehicle thief; a woman who is a procurement expert; and the front man, Lando Calrissan. With Eanjor, Han, and Chewbaca, the 163 million would be split 11 ways. Also, in order to receive the full value of the credits, their was a biometric chip implanted so only Eanjer's father or family member with a dna match would be able to cash them. This gave Eanjer confidence that he would not be double crossed.

The target of the heist, Villachor, was a sector chief for one of the galaxies most powerful crime organizations known as Black Sun. Investigating Black Sun was a pair of Imperial security operatives (spies for Darth Vader.) They become aware of Han's interest and assume an observatory mode. However, they do not remain in that mode for the entire story. Then the alliances and double crosses begin. The final twist does not appear until (literally) the last couple of sentences.

I absolutely loved this book. It appealed to me on so many different fronts. Don't pass this up because you do not enjoy reading Sci-fi. This is a top notch heist and con artist book first and foremost. If you are a Sci-fi fan, it is only a bonus. Knowing some of the characters from previous Star Wars movies or books is also another bonus. For me, a fan of all, it was simply a fantastic and extremely enjoyable read.

Timothy Zahnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Youll, PaulCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Thompson, MarcNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far way....
The starlines collapsed into stars, and the Imperial Star Destroyer Dominator had arrived.

Han Solo, Chewbacca, and Lando Calrissian work together on a potentially lucrative heist in the hopes of paying of Jabba the Hutt's bounty on Han's head.

85 wanted2 pay3 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,888,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible