Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz by L. Frank…

Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz (1908)

by L. Frank Baum

Series: Oz : Famous Forty (book 4), Oz : Baum (4), Oz (4)

Recently added byprivate library, Madcap86, braunbooks, Pegetha, MelHammond, djatovsky, saskia17

I thoroughly enjoyed the original Wizard of Oz, and some of the others... but this book felt like it had been written by a 4th grader. I was glad this was not the first Baum book I'd ever read, or I would never have read any others. It had a very unfinished feel to it, like it needed to go back to the editor another time or two. ( )
  LaurieGienapp | Dec 8, 2017 |
Dorothy and others are swallowed up by cracks in the earth, and fall into an underground cavern, where begin their adventures.

Not much in the way of a plot.

The best part was the trial of Eureka near the end. ( )
  nx74defiant | Mar 12, 2017 |
Dorothy, her cat, a boy named Zeb and his horse get caught in an earthquake and go to the center of the earth. After many adventures they make it to the surface and go to Oz where they go home. This felt like a churned out novel. I didn't enjoy it like I have the other Oz books. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Originally published in 1908, this fourth Oz novel sees Kansas farm-girl Dorothy Gale once again transported to magical lands, this time thanks to a California earthquake, during which our heroine falls into the depths of the earth, together with a boy name Zeb, his carriage-horse Jim, and Dorothy's mischievous kitten, Eureka. Far underground, in the strange land of the Mangaboos - heartless root-people who grows on bushes - Dorothy and co. meet up with the Wizard (that is to say, the original Wizard from The Wonderful Wizard of Oz), who has also fallen into the earth. Together the companions face many dangers, from the xenophobic Mangaboos to the ferocious invisible bears of the Valley of Voe, on their long journey back to the surface of the earth. Eventually, after confronting a cave full of dragonettes, the travelers are rescued by Ozma of Oz, who transports them to the Emerald City. Here Dorothy and Wizard meet many old friends, while Eureka meets trouble...

I was struck, reading Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz, by the many stratagems that Baum must employ in these early Oz books, to transport his heroine to that magical land. In the first, she is whisked away by a cyclone, in the third she is washed overboard in a terrible storm, and here she falls into the earth during an earthquake! Eventually the borders of Oz are closed (I forget in which title this occurs), but until that point the author must contend with the question of how to reunite his characters. The result, I am finding, is that a great deal of the action of the story takes place outside of Oz. However that may be, I enjoyed my reread of this installment of the series, although sometimes Dorothy's "adorable" little-girl accent grated a bit - I don't recall her speaking this way in the original...? - and I could have lived without the trial of Eureka, at the close of the book. Still, I was entertained to meet the Wizard again, and look forward to my reread of the fifth Oz novel, The Road to Oz. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Apr 24, 2016 |
I decided to try to get through the books of Oz that are written by L. Frank Baum this year and I have thus far gotten through the first four books of the series. I am finding them fascinating because this and the previous book (Ozma of Oz) take place mainly outside of the land of Oz itself and in other fairy lands that Baum has created for the stories. It is interesting to see him say that they are Oz stories simply because they contain the characters briefly or at the end of the tale.

I do, however, like the book even though they are not truly Oz stories in my opinion. I enjoy reading them because they are whimsical and light-hearted in a way that most children's books simply are not. These books are truly something that I can see someone reading to their children before bedtime to make them believe that anything can happen in their lives. They are beautiful stories. There are times that Baum is harsh though in his writing about certain characters, such as in this book he again treats the sawhorse badly because of how he was created. He also calls the Wizard a humbug repeatedly. Some of these words feel like they are rude and putting someone down, which I don't like. They are classics though and they are produced from a different time period. They are an enjoyable read and easy to understand why they have stood the test of time. ( )
  SoulFlower1981 | Jan 20, 2016 |

L. Frank Baumprimary authorall editionscalculated
Neill, John RaeIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lowe, WesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neill, John R.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to Harriet A. B. Neal
Harriet A. B. Neal
The train from 'Frisco was very late.

Fantasy lovers of all ages will rejoice at this chance to travel once again to the marvelous land of Oz!

A California earthquake sends Dorothy Gale and her new friends--Zeb the farm boy, Jim the cab-horse, and Eureka the mischievous kitten--tumbling through a crack in the ground. Deep beneath the earth, Dorothy is reunited with her old friend the Wizard of Oz and his troupe of nine tiny piglets.

Together, Dorothy, the Wizard, and their friends travel through many fantastic lands, where they encounter the Mangaboos, people growing like vegetables in the ground; cross the Valley of Voe, where dama-fruit has turned everyone invisible; and are captured by mysterious flying Gargoyles. At last, the intrepid travelers reach Oz, where they have many unforgettable encounters with such favorites as the Scarecrow and the Tin Woodman, the Cowardly Lion and the Hungry Tiger, Princess Ozma and the wooden Sawhorse.

Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz was the fourth Oz adventure. First published in 1908, it has captured the imaginations of young readers and listeners for four generations. Now a new generation can discover these superb adventures for themselves. This deluxe gift edition faithfully reproduces the rare first edition, including all sixteen color plates and all fifty black-and-white illustrations by John R. Neill, as well as the original colorful endpapers.

Afterword by Peter Glassman. A deluxe facsimile of the fourth Oz adventure--originally published in 1908--when Dorothy and the Wizard meet the Mangaboos. A Books of Wonder(R) Classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:04 -0400)

During a California earthquake Dorothy falls into the underground Land of the Manaboos where she again meets the Wizard of Oz.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909438316, 1909438308

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,803,771 books! | Top bar: Always visible