Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz by L. Frank…

Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz (1908)

by L. Frank Baum

Series: Oz : Famous Forty (book 4), Oz : Baum (4), Oz (4)

And here we have the evidence that L. Frank Baum finally let the little bastards get to him. He would give them exactly what they wanted. What a shame they didn't notice he was mocking them. I can just see him counting his money through the tears.

Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz finds Dorothy falling through a crack in the earth while visiting cousins in California. She tumbles down clutching her pink kitten Eureka and dragging her cousin Zeb and his cart horse Jim with her. Oz scholars will point out that Zeb is the only adventurer to never have another appearance in the Oz books. Good man Zeb, good man.

For reasons Dorothy runs into the Wizard, whose balloon has fallen into the earth and together they start exploring the strange lands underground, looking for a way back to the surface. The Wizard has some pretty nasty charges leveled against him in The Land of Oz, but don't expect to have them addressed. From here on out, even in books where Baum shows interest in the story and characters again, he ignores most of what he's said about them other than their appearance.

I suggest not reading this, and skipping ahead to The Emerald City of Oz, because the Oz reader has a rough road ahead of them. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
My journey through Oz continues.

According to the letter at the start of this book [b: Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz|13526214|Oz Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz|Eric Shanower|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1351527762s/13526214.jpg|19086922] came from the manifold letters [a: Frank L Baum|3242|L. Frank Baum|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1383720421p2/3242.jpg] received begging him to continue writing Dorothy's adventures. Many questions were asked about The Wizard, and what he got up to after his balloon trip in [b: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz|6662883|Oz The Wonderful Wizard of Oz|Eric Shanower|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1336571208s/6662883.jpg|6857668], and many inquiries also came requesting to know what Toto was up to. Only this book doesn't include Toto, but the next one does. This book contains Dorothy's naughty cat friend Eureka. I wish it didn't.

Dorothy is in California with Uncle Henry, who is currently visiting his cousin. On her way from the train station with her second-cousin Zeb and the cab-horse Jim they were swallowed up into the earth by a terrible earthquake. When the Wizard in his balloon is likewise swallowed up by the earth, the adventure to get back to the surface begins. There will be vegetable men, gargoyles, dragons, and invisible bears. In other words, it's a typical Oz book. There are also nine tiny pigs.

I didn't like this book quite as much as I did the others I've thus far read. There wasn't a great deal of time spent in Oz, and I found the character of Eureka the kitten incredibly grating. Yes, she was very much a cat, but her obstinate nature was excused a bit too much for my liking. I enjoyed the time spent with the Wizard, though, and meeting our old friends once more. I'm eager to continue my journey, and hoping this is just a hiccup and ultimately I'll like the rest as well as I have the first few entries.

P.S. This is the book to read if you want the explanation of whether Oz was named for the Wizard or the Wizard for the land It's an interesting bit of trivia and Oz history!
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
I thoroughly enjoyed the original Wizard of Oz, and some of the others... but this book felt like it had been written by a 4th grader. I was glad this was not the first Baum book I'd ever read, or I would never have read any others. It had a very unfinished feel to it, like it needed to go back to the editor another time or two. ( )
  LaurieGienapp | Dec 8, 2017 |
Dorothy and others are swallowed up by cracks in the earth, and fall into an underground cavern, where begin their adventures.

Not much in the way of a plot.

The best part was the trial of Eureka near the end. ( )
  nx74defiant | Mar 12, 2017 |
Dorothy, her cat, a boy named Zeb and his horse get caught in an earthquake and go to the center of the earth. After many adventures they make it to the surface and go to Oz where they go home. This felt like a churned out novel. I didn't enjoy it like I have the other Oz books. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

L. Frank Baumprimary authorall editionscalculated
Neill, John RaeIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lowe, WesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neill, John R.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to Harriet A. B. Neal
Harriet A. B. Neal
The train from 'Frisco was very late.

Fantasy lovers of all ages will rejoice at this chance to travel once again to the marvelous land of Oz!

A California earthquake sends Dorothy Gale and her new friends--Zeb the farm boy, Jim the cab-horse, and Eureka the mischievous kitten--tumbling through a crack in the ground. Deep beneath the earth, Dorothy is reunited with her old friend the Wizard of Oz and his troupe of nine tiny piglets.

Together, Dorothy, the Wizard, and their friends travel through many fantastic lands, where they encounter the Mangaboos, people growing like vegetables in the ground; cross the Valley of Voe, where dama-fruit has turned everyone invisible; and are captured by mysterious flying Gargoyles. At last, the intrepid travelers reach Oz, where they have many unforgettable encounters with such favorites as the Scarecrow and the Tin Woodman, the Cowardly Lion and the Hungry Tiger, Princess Ozma and the wooden Sawhorse.

Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz was the fourth Oz adventure. First published in 1908, it has captured the imaginations of young readers and listeners for four generations. Now a new generation can discover these superb adventures for themselves. This deluxe gift edition faithfully reproduces the rare first edition, including all sixteen color plates and all fifty black-and-white illustrations by John R. Neill, as well as the original colorful endpapers.

Afterword by Peter Glassman. A deluxe facsimile of the fourth Oz adventure--originally published in 1908--when Dorothy and the Wizard meet the Mangaboos. A Books of Wonder(R) Classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:04 -0400)

During a California earthquake Dorothy falls into the underground Land of the Manaboos where she again meets the Wizard of Oz.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909438316, 1909438308

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,859,689 books! | Top bar: Always visible