DC Universe Presents Vol. 1 featuring…

DC Universe Presents Vol. 1 featuring Deadman & Challengers of the Unknown (edition 2012)

by Paul Jenkins (Author), Jerry Ordway (Illustrator), Dan DiDio, Bernard Chang (Illustrator)

Member:MikeBriggs
Title:DC Universe Presents Vol. 1 featuring Deadman & Challengers of the Unknown
Authors:Paul Jenkins (Author)
Other authors:Jerry Ordway (Illustrator), Dan DiDio, Bernard Chang (Illustrator)
Info:DC Comics (2012), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Read, Read in 2012, Read in November, Series
Rating:**1/2
Tags:Fiction, Graphic Novel, Comics, DC Comics

DC Universe Presents (New 52) Vol. 1 featuring Deadman & Challengers of the Unknown by Paul Jenkins

I bought this because I'm reading Justice League Dark and Deadman is my absolute favourite character in that. But I had never even heard of him before so when I saw this origin/background story about him I was so excited. It didn't exactly live up to my expectations but was an ok story. The art was great though and looking at all the great illustrations of Deadman kept me reading. (3/5)

The second part of this book is about the "Challengers of the Unknown" whom I've never heard of and wasn't really keen on reading but since it was included here, went ahead anyway. And I ended up enjoying way more than the Deadman story! Even though the basis sounded cheesy with the TV Reality Show set-up it ended up being a really good space quest adventure. The team travels around trying to find seven medallions, it turns out they've been "chosen" for this task. Several members get killed during the task and the story ends "For Now..." but I can't find that the characters have been picked up anywhere in the 'verse since. (4/5) ( )
  ElizaJane | Jul 8, 2014 |
I really like the idea of this DC Universe Presents title. It just has a chunk of issues for a certain character, every volume. So this time around, Deadman was the first one up and I liked his part a lot. Even though I'm pretty familiar with the Boston Brand story, and this wasn't much new in that category, but it was still pretty cool that the obscure characters are getting their own sort of royal treatment. The Challengers of the Unknown was kind of cool, but in the end it would have been better served with more time. Interested to see who DC Universe Presents tackles next. ( )
  LaneLiterati | Feb 10, 2014 |

Ghostly hero Deadman inhabits those who need his help in order to achieve salvation himself, and after the cast and crew of a reality television series survive a near-death experience, they gain entry to a world of magic and mysticism.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,700,917 books! | Top bar: Always visible