The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes

The Girl You Left Behind (edition 2012)

by Jojo Moyes

Member:Youdid
Title:The Girl You Left Behind
Authors:Jojo Moyes
Info:Penguin Books Ltd (2012), Paperback
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2

The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes

Only on rare occasions, am I left reflecting at the end of a novel, feeling so gratified that I can hardly wait to give it five stars. Jojo Moyes’ book, the Girl You Left Behind, is just such a novel. It is a magnificent, turbulent story about a young woman, Sophie LeFevre, who awaits the return of her beloved husband, who has gone off to fight in World War I. When the Germans occupy her town, and Sophie catches the eye of Kommandant Freiderich Hencken (the enemy), Sophie risks everything to reunite with her missing husband, Edouard, a former artist from the Matisse Academy in Paris. Sophie, being the subject of a provocative painting created by Edouard, transcends time to the present day through this incredible work of art. Nearly a hundred years later, Sophie’s portrait is given to Liv Halston from her architect husband, shortly before his untimely death. The portrait then becomes the center of controversy in an embroiled court battle to see who will possess the illustrious painting. I loved the parallels between Sophie and Liv, as both women encountered embittered hardships and obstacles in their lives, to which they met with incredible courage. I also loved the unpredictability of the story, which seemed to take various twists and turns along the way. Even at the conclusion, one wonders about the final resolution, as the author suggests that a more pleasing outcome might just be possible. ( )
  haymaai | Jul 7, 2015 |
An Interesting story about the lives of a group of people with a connection to a painting, set against the complicated issue of stolen wartime art. If I had any complaint it would be that I found the transition from chapter to chapter rather abrupt - so that sometimes I had to take a minute to orient myself. Other than that? A pretty good book. ( )
  EvelynBernard | May 25, 2015 |
I have just found out I have been chosen to receive this book as a 'first read' and from the reviews it has been given I am very much looking forward to it.

02/10/2012
Have just finished this book and it was just wonderful. Not at all what I was expecting but so much more. I was gripped by the story and was equally torn between my feelings for the protagonists on both sides. The author manages to jump between time frames within the book with ease without confusing the reader, which I have found can happen with some stories that use this format.
I must say that the cover could be very misleading as it looks deceptively like a 'chick lit' type novel, when in fact it is so much more than that. To me it was two love stories, a historical fiction and a courtroom drama all rolled into one. It also makes the reader think about the issues involved and about the right or wrongs of ownership disputes that may (and probably are) still ongoing today.

I wonder if anyone will buy the film rights as to me it is crying out to be made into a film.
  WWDG | May 6, 2015 |
Jojo Moyes is one of my new favorite authors. I liked this book a lot. It takes place during WWI and the present time, alternating stories. The subject matter is similar to The a Monuments Men. I was hooked in the story from the beginning and I highly recommend this book. ( )
  sandra.k.heinzman | Apr 2, 2015 |
  sandra.k.heinzman | Apr 2, 2015 |
To Charles
I was dreaming of food.

What happened to the girl you left behind?

France, 1916. Sophie Lefevre must keep her family safe whilst her adored husband Edouard fights at the front. When she is ordered to serve the German officers who descend on her hotel each evening, her home becomes riven by fierce tensions. And from the moment the new Kommandant sets eyes on Sophie's portrait - painted by Edouard - a dangerous obsession is born, which will lead Sophie to make a dark and terrible decision.

Almost a century later, and Sophie's portrait hangs in the home of Liv Halston, a wedding gift from her young husband before he died. A chance encounter reveals the painting's true worth, and its troubled history. A history that is about to resurface and turn Liv's life upside down all over again . . .

In The Girl You Left Behind two young women, separated by a century, are united in their determination to fight for what they love most - whatever the cost.

If you can't wait for The Girl You Left Behind treat yourself to the prequel, Honeymoon in Paris, Jojo Moyes' irresistible ebook-only novella out now.

Unwillingly rendered an object of obsession by the Kommandant occupying her small French town in World War I, Sophie risks everything to reunite with her husband a century before a widowed Liv tests her resolve to claim ownership of Sophie's portrait.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,462,212 books! | Top bar: Always visible