The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes

The Girl You Left Behind (edition 2012)

by Jojo Moyes

Member:Youdid
Title:The Girl You Left Behind
Authors:Jojo Moyes
Info:Penguin Books Ltd (2012), Paperback
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2

The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes

This is a story about life under german occupationin a smallvilaage in France and a current legal case concerning art restitution. Both stories are about relationships, courage, and the love fro someone you have lost. Another great JoJo Moyes novel! ( )
  teeth | Nov 21, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book a lot. It follows parallel lives of Sophie, in 1917 and modern day Liv. liv acquires a painting on her honeymoon called "The Girl You left behind". The subject of this painting is Sophie. So we follow Sophie's life married to an artist Edouard Lefevre who goes to war and she is left to run the bar which gets occupied by Germans during WWI. Meanwhile Liv is a widow lost in grief until she meets Paul. As it turns out Paul works for a firm that retrieves stolen art. He works for the Lefevre family and the obvious happens. However, the novel still has interest as the whole idea of stolen or lost art is very interesting.
Both past and jpresent stories are very strong and the characters rich. very good ( )
  Smits | Nov 19, 2014 |
After reading Me Before You, I had the strong desire to read another of Ms. Moyes's novels. Although The Girl You Left Behind is a completely different genre than Me Before You, I enjoyed it even more than MBY. My favorite genre of books is Historical Fiction and the story within the novel gave me a look into War World I through the eyes of a wife of a painter who is off fighting for France.

Sophia, the artist wife, is the subject of the painting of The Girl You Left Behind and this reader felt her pain and the emotional pain of the present owner in the 21st Century in this tragic story of love. The story is endearing and will stay in my memory for a long time. ( )
  Gingersnap000 | Nov 3, 2014 |
An interesting mix of life under German occupation in a small village in France and a current legal case concerning art restitution. Both stories are also about relationships, courage and the love for someone you have lost. I found the book to really pick up in the second half. ( )
  CarterPJ | Oct 21, 2014 |
I fell in love with this book and its heroine, Sophie, in the first few pages. Set in the French countryside during WWI, Sophie is running the small family hotel and trying to look after her sister and family while their husbands are off to war. We learn that Sofie is married to an artist who she loves beyond measure. She boldly displays the portrait he painted of her, in spite of the fact that the occupying Germans are grabbing anything and everything of value. The German Kommodant decides to make their hotel the place where officers dine nightly. He shows his appreciation of the painting... and of Sofie...and so it goes.

I was jarred when the setting suddenly switches to contemporary London where the painting is now owned by a young widow, Liv. But the two time periods become intertwined and Sofie's full story is revealed while Liv's own predicament becomes a cross between a love story and a legal battle.

This is the first book I've read of Jojo Moyes, and it certainly invites me to read more! ( )
  bookfest | Sep 30, 2014 |
To Charles
I was dreaming of food.

What happened to the girl you left behind?

France, 1916. Sophie Lefevre must keep her family safe whilst her adored husband Edouard fights at the front. When she is ordered to serve the German officers who descend on her hotel each evening, her home becomes riven by fierce tensions. And from the moment the new Kommandant sets eyes on Sophie's portrait - painted by Edouard - a dangerous obsession is born, which will lead Sophie to make a dark and terrible decision.

Almost a century later, and Sophie's portrait hangs in the home of Liv Halston, a wedding gift from her young husband before he died. A chance encounter reveals the painting's true worth, and its troubled history. A history that is about to resurface and turn Liv's life upside down all over again . . .

In The Girl You Left Behind two young women, separated by a century, are united in their determination to fight for what they love most - whatever the cost.

If you can't wait for The Girl You Left Behind treat yourself to the prequel, Honeymoon in Paris, Jojo Moyes' irresistible ebook-only novella out now.

Unwillingly rendered an object of obsession by the Kommandant occupying her small French town in World War I, Sophie risks everything to reunite with her husband a century before a widowed Liv tests her resolve to claim ownership of Sophie's portrait.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,919,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible