The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes

The Girl You Left Behind (edition 2012)

by Jojo Moyes

Member:Youdid
Title:The Girl You Left Behind
Authors:Jojo Moyes
Info:Penguin Books Ltd (2012), Paperback
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2

The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes

An interesting mix of life under German occupation in a small village in France and a current legal case concerning art restitution. Both stories are also about relationships, courage and the love for someone you have lost. I found the book to really pick up in the second half. ( )
  CarterPJ | Oct 21, 2014 |
I fell in love with this book and its heroine, Sophie, in the first few pages. Set in the French countryside during WWI, Sophie is running the small family hotel and trying to look after her sister and family while their husbands are off to war. We learn that Sofie is married to an artist who she loves beyond measure. She boldly displays the portrait he painted of her, in spite of the fact that the occupying Germans are grabbing anything and everything of value. The German Kommodant decides to make their hotel the place where officers dine nightly. He shows his appreciation of the painting... and of Sofie...and so it goes.

I was jarred when the setting suddenly switches to contemporary London where the painting is now owned by a young widow, Liv. But the two time periods become intertwined and Sofie's full story is revealed while Liv's own predicament becomes a cross between a love story and a legal battle.

This is the first book I've read of Jojo Moyes, and it certainly invites me to read more! ( )
  bookfest | Sep 30, 2014 |
This book really left me thinking when i finished it. A world war is never a fun thing to read about but this really pulled you in. This book had me clinging to every page to see what was going to happen next.
Fantastic book ! ( )
  lisa.isselee | Sep 26, 2014 |
Even better than Me Before You. ( )
  jules72653 | Sep 21, 2014 |
Another story-within-a -story type book, interweaving two tales, which I tend to like, particularly if both narratives are interesting, which happily was the case here. In one, a woman in occupied France WWI era, finds herself struggling to keep her home and family safe, while her beloved husband is away fighting. She has her memories, and a portrait of her he painted from their days in Paris. All threatens to come apart when a German Kommandant discovers both Sophie and her portrait. In the other thread, Sophie's portrait is in modern day Paris, in the home and in the heart of Liv Halston, whose husband gave her the painting on their honeymoon. Now widowed, Liv finds herself in a court battle over who owns Sophie's portrait and if it is the spoils of warn or a true gift of love. I honestly have to say that as I read, I kept wondering how the author would untangle the mess that both women seemed to have gotten into, while keeping the promise of a happy ending in sight. I saw one possible out, but surprisingly enough, Moyes came up with a different one.

This is the second Jojo Moyes book I have read. I found the details and characters compelling, and the descriptions of life intricate enough that I could easily visualize the events of the book. My copy of the bok also included a prequel novella, called "Honeymoon in Paris", which for me, was really only interesting for the backstory of Sophie and her Edouard, rather thank Liv and her husband.

Tags: a-favorite-author, currently-reading, taught-me-something, will-look-for-more-by-this-author ( )
  bookczuk | Sep 10, 2014 |
To Charles
I was dreaming of food.

What happened to the girl you left behind?

France, 1916. Sophie Lefevre must keep her family safe whilst her adored husband Edouard fights at the front. When she is ordered to serve the German officers who descend on her hotel each evening, her home becomes riven by fierce tensions. And from the moment the new Kommandant sets eyes on Sophie's portrait - painted by Edouard - a dangerous obsession is born, which will lead Sophie to make a dark and terrible decision.

Almost a century later, and Sophie's portrait hangs in the home of Liv Halston, a wedding gift from her young husband before he died. A chance encounter reveals the painting's true worth, and its troubled history. A history that is about to resurface and turn Liv's life upside down all over again . . .

In The Girl You Left Behind two young women, separated by a century, are united in their determination to fight for what they love most - whatever the cost.

If you can't wait for The Girl You Left Behind treat yourself to the prequel, Honeymoon in Paris, Jojo Moyes' irresistible ebook-only novella out now.

Unwillingly rendered an object of obsession by the Kommandant occupying her small French town in World War I, Sophie risks everything to reunite with her husband a century before a widowed Liv tests her resolve to claim ownership of Sophie's portrait.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,470,877 books! | Top bar: Always visible