The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes

The Girl You Left Behind (edition 2012)

by Jojo Moyes

Member:Youdid
Title:The Girl You Left Behind
Authors:Jojo Moyes
Info:Penguin Books Ltd (2012), Paperback
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2

The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes

English (70)  Danish (1)  All languages (71)
Having read "Me Before You" recently, I decided to try another book by this author. Whilst I enjoyed "The Girl You Left Behind" I didn't have the same emotional connection as I did with the first one. I found this novel a bit slow, and while I enjoyed following Sophie's story as she struggled to stay alive during WWI, I found Liv's story less interesting, and I didn't fully understand why she didn't want to sell the painting. Although I'm not a huge fan of epilogues, Moyes did justice to this one and I thought "The Girl You Left Behind" finished very satisfactorily. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jul 15, 2016 |
I love historical fiction especially around World War I and II. And I'm finding Jojo Moyes is becoming one of my favorite authors. This is about Sophie during World War I and how she and her sister try to survive the Germans who have invaded their little village. It's also about Liv, who has a painting of Sophie and she is soon in a battle to keep that portrait away from Sophie's husband's family, who Liv feels really don't care about Sophie or the portrait, they only care about what it's worth. The book starts out with Sophie and you find out what she does to survive and get her husband back. Then it flashes forward to 2006 and Liv.

This book is about two women trying to survive life and trying to hold onto what they think is right. Jojo really pulls you into both their lives and it broke my heart what was going on with Sophie and Liv with her new relationship with Paul. I was sucked so far into this story I lost track of time. This is a love story that should not be skipped. It will warm your heart, crush your heart and then warm your heart again.

I SO recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good book. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |

Beforehand I did not know what this book was about so when it began during the first world war I was pleasantly surprised. Most books when they are set during wartime it is mostly the second world war.

The narrator and the story was very interesting. Then all of a sudden I was taken from that beautiful but sad little french town, ripped away from the villagers to arrive in Aldwych London UK in the Year of 2006.

I did nto expect it and it took me a while to get used to the new characters. The narrator is quite annoying and the way she and her new lover behave is quite weird but hey, I tried not to care and after a while I got back to enjoying the story.

Some notes I made:

"This time I did not dare watch his progress through the store but from the flush at the back of my neck, I knew he had stopped again to look at me. I felt briefly infuriated"

I wish I had such a neck! Very handy.

Then there was a sentence in German which to me did sound wrong. This sentence was spoken by a German soldier and I don't think a German would say it like that. I am Dutch which is very different but at school I learned German.
Sie können nicht berühren die Frauen. Sie können die Frauen nicht berühren would maybe have been better.

There were more interesting pieces which I will add later cause I want to play an hour on my ps3 before going to bed. ;)
All in all I did enjoy this book. The author managed to captivate me. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
I knew walking into this book that there would be an element of sadness to it so it took me a while to actually pick it up and start it. When a story is too depressing, I get stuck feeling sad for days so I was hoping and praying that this wouldn't be the case. I actually really enjoyed the book and was satisfied with the way it ended. It is definitely a book that makes you think and realize that you shouldn't take the luxuries you have for granted.

One thing I really like about the story is that it wasn't predictable. I never knew what would happen next. I had hunches and theories but I was never sure and that kept me reading well into the night. I also enjoyed how the author switched between past and present. The main plot revolved around a portrait of Sophie when she had been in Paris with Edouard. The portrait caused both pleasure and pain for Sophie in the past. In the present, in is owned by Liv Halston, whose late husband gave it to her as a gift. She loves the portrait and when a long lost Lefevre relative says it was stolen and tries to take her to court to get it back, Liv, like Sophie, is willing to make huge sacrifices. Liv is also strong, but stubborn in my opinion. The court case could cause her to lose everything but she won't give up. I liked that about her but at the same time, I was frustrated with her at times for being so one sided and not realizing how much she has on the line. She did smarten up toward the end and again, I thought I knew what would happen and I was mistaken and pleasantly surprised.

If you enjoyed Sarah's Key (which I did), you will like this story. It definitely has its depressing moments but also some inspiring ones. Sophie was an extremely strong character who took extreme risks to keep her family safe. She never gave up on her hope that she and her sister Helene would see their husbands again. Helene was less confident and often leaned on Sophie for support but when the time came for it, she found the emotional strength she needed as well. Edith, although not a huge character, was the one I felt the most emotionally attached to. I wanted to know more about her life after Sophie was taken. She was so young to have to deal with so much loss. ( )
  Lagnella | Mar 4, 2016 |
I loved this story, it captivated me from the first page. The first 100 pages or so are about Sophie and her family, living in a small French town during the WW1 occupation in 1917 by the Germans. They own a tavern and they are obliged to cook for their occupiers. One of them, the Kommandant has an interest in an intriguing painting of her that hangs on their walls. Jojo Moyes paints the war and daily life so clearly that you feel like you’re there. I was really rooting for her that she would be ok but you are kind of left hanging in there because the story fast forwards to the here and now and you follow Liv who also has a connection to the same painting from so long ago. What happened to Sophie, what will happen to the painting, how far are people willing to go for love, all questions that Jojo Moyes expertly unfolds. A brilliant and touching love story. ( )
1 vote Ingstje | Jan 18, 2016 |
To Charles
I was dreaming of food.

What happened to the girl you left behind?

France, 1916. Sophie Lefevre must keep her family safe whilst her adored husband Edouard fights at the front. When she is ordered to serve the German officers who descend on her hotel each evening, her home becomes riven by fierce tensions. And from the moment the new Kommandant sets eyes on Sophie's portrait - painted by Edouard - a dangerous obsession is born, which will lead Sophie to make a dark and terrible decision.

Almost a century later, and Sophie's portrait hangs in the home of Liv Halston, a wedding gift from her young husband before he died. A chance encounter reveals the painting's true worth, and its troubled history. A history that is about to resurface and turn Liv's life upside down all over again . . .

In The Girl You Left Behind two young women, separated by a century, are united in their determination to fight for what they love most - whatever the cost.

If you can't wait for The Girl You Left Behind treat yourself to the prequel, Honeymoon in Paris, Jojo Moyes' irresistible ebook-only novella out now.

Unwillingly rendered an object of obsession by the Kommandant occupying her small French town in World War I, Sophie risks everything to reunite with her husband a century before a widowed Liv tests her resolve to claim ownership of Sophie's portrait.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,323,745 books! | Top bar: Always visible