The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes

The Girl You Left Behind (edition 2012)

by Jojo Moyes

Member:Youdid
Title:The Girl You Left Behind
Authors:Jojo Moyes
Info:Penguin Books Ltd (2012), Paperback
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2

The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes

English (76)  Danish (1)  All (77)
I'm a little blank with my review for this book. I really liked it, the modern tale was wonderful but in the past few years I have so tired of the time span between the two world wars. I find myself passing books up specifically because of this and I'm afraid of missing out on a good read in doing so. Anyway, I love Jojo Moyes and her writings, the subject she went with is so controversial now, makes me look at it from all angles. ( )
  mchwest | Jan 22, 2017 |
Wow, this is an amazing book. I was not expecting so much of it. I had a good working over of the feels. And now that it’s over, I don’t even know what to think of the roles some of the characters played. This is one of those stories that I’ll loose sleep thinking about at night. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
I loved this book... But... I kind of felt the conclusion was a bit rushed. I felt Paul and Livs relationship was sort of rushed through and I felt the resolution regarding the painting was hurried through. I was waiting for Liv to set out on this quest to discover Sophie's story and it just didn't really happen much. Having said that, I still really really enjoyed this book I just feel it could have been even better ( )
  Charli30902 | Jan 5, 2017 |
I loved this book and will definitely be reading more books by this author. ( )
  lynnski723 | Dec 31, 2016 |
To Charles
I was dreaming of food.

What happened to the girl you left behind?

France, 1916. Sophie Lefevre must keep her family safe whilst her adored husband Edouard fights at the front. When she is ordered to serve the German officers who descend on her hotel each evening, her home becomes riven by fierce tensions. And from the moment the new Kommandant sets eyes on Sophie's portrait - painted by Edouard - a dangerous obsession is born, which will lead Sophie to make a dark and terrible decision.

Almost a century later, and Sophie's portrait hangs in the home of Liv Halston, a wedding gift from her young husband before he died. A chance encounter reveals the painting's true worth, and its troubled history. A history that is about to resurface and turn Liv's life upside down all over again . . .

In The Girl You Left Behind two young women, separated by a century, are united in their determination to fight for what they love most - whatever the cost.

If you can't wait for The Girl You Left Behind treat yourself to the prequel, Honeymoon in Paris, Jojo Moyes' irresistible ebook-only novella out now.

Unwillingly rendered an object of obsession by the Kommandant occupying her small French town in World War I, Sophie risks everything to reunite with her husband a century before a widowed Liv tests her resolve to claim ownership of Sophie's portrait.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,816,699 books! | Top bar: Always visible