Wyoming Bride: A Bitter Creek Novel by Joan…

Wyoming Bride: A Bitter Creek Novel (edition 2013)

by Joan Johnston

Member:cyncie
Title:Wyoming Bride: A Bitter Creek Novel
Authors:Joan Johnston
Info:Dell (2013), Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Tags:2013

Wyoming Bride: A Bitter Creek Novel by Joan Johnston (Author)

Title: Wyoming Bride: A Bitter Creek Novel
Author: Joan Johnson
Published: Dell
Series: Mail Order Bride # 2
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Rating: 5
Review:

"Wyoming Bride" by Joan Johnston was the second in the 'Mail Order Bride series. By reading the first series you will get more of the back story in that the Wentworth's (four girls and two brothers) are not orphaned after 'the Great Chicago Fire.' Now, being placed in a orphanage where the mistress is very cruel to this family. So, the only way out was for the older girls becoming 'mail order brides.' We find from the read that Hannah Wentworth becomes a bride to Mr. McMurtry and they head west with him along with her twin and younger sister Josie. What will happen now that "Hannah is alone found in the wilderness until she is found by Flint Creed? Now this will be will this story takes off giving us a play by play details of what happens on the trail west and wow this will be some story. You will have to pick up "Wyoming Bride" to see how this author brings it all out to the reader. I found this read very interesting and once you start reading you will find it hard to put down till the end. If you are looking for a good western romance then these 'Bitter Creek Novels' will be a recommended read for you. ( )
  arlenadean | Feb 18, 2014 |
I spent the first 30 or so pages giggling like a loon because Hannah's internal dialogue was so fatalistic...and so determined. The story feels modern. ( )
  lesmel | May 28, 2013 |
Hannah is a oprhan along with her other siblings, but when her older sister leaves them to marry and takes their two brothers, she and her two sisters are alone. Suffering abuse daily, she takes a risk and marries a Mr. McMurty, a stranger, herself and brings her two sisters with her, knowing it can't get any worse. On their way out west, her husband dies from cholera, and her two sisters end up being kidnapped by indians, leaving her alone in the wilderness, only to be found by a Flint Creed, who offers her marriage. Hannah pregnant and alone, knows she doesn't really have a choice, so she agrees. Flint, has loved his brothers fiancee for quite some time, but now that they are married, he is lost...until he finds Hannah and she is perfect to help him forget the one he really loves, only life is never that simple. Hannah making a new start for herself, starts to fall in love with handsome Flint Creed who has stolen her heart only afraid that because of his love for another woman he may never love her in return...Wyoming Bride is the second in the Johnstons Mail Order Bride series. I just loved this story and I am so glad I was able to get the ARC for it....since this is probably one of my favorite new series, and its awesome to read some historicals from this author since she usually focuses on contemporary's. Wyoming Bride is a beautiful love story about two people who are in a need of love and someone to hold onto. From first page to last Hannah I greatly loved...she has such strength and courage and you can't help but admire her...Flint on the other hand I had issues with....throughout most of the story he is always comparing Hannah to his brothers wife...and I just felt so much compassion for Hannah and I was totally on her side the whole way...but toward the end I started to like Flint but not love him because of the way he treats Hannah. Overall a great love story with many aspects that made it a enjoyable romance... A STORY TO REMEMBER!!!
  addictofromance | Mar 3, 2013 |
Hannah Wenthworth McMurty is a widow and carrying her dead husbands unborn child after only three months of marriage. She then finds her self saved by a Flint Creed, all out cowboy (mighty freakin' sexy) who is determined to find himself a bride to keep his treacherous thoughts and feelings about his brothers soon to be bride Emaline, the woman he loves, to himself. And so Flint has a proposition unto Hannah, for her to be his bride. Does he tell Hannah why? Nope, not a chance. But Hannah knows she needs a way to care for her unborn child and Flint is none the wiser. For now...

I absolutely loved these characters. Every single one. Yes, even the evil ones that were out to destroy the Creeds' ranch. Such good bad guys they played lol. After reading Texas Bride (Book #1 in the Mail-Order Bride series) I was hesitant about Hannah. I really enjoyed Miranda's book and her character. But, Hannah did me one better. Her character is feisty and set in her ways, a little like her sister, but different. Weak is not in this girls vocabulary. no siree. When Flint asks her to be his bride, she sets her own rules and runs with it, knowing that she's going to need a way to provide for her baby, even if she has to hide it from Flint. But Flint's got his own issues. Heart of the matter issues at that. He's in love with his brothers fiance, places her on a pedestal, but Hannah is no second rate woman. Nope, no chance of that, she's beautiful and slowly tugging at the heart strings of this big, bad cowboy.

Aside from this simmering romance, you've got an evil sonofabiznatch who is out to destroy the Creed brothers' ranch and take their cattle. This aspect of the book definitely adds a bit more umph to the story as whole. You've got a pregnant woman, cattle thieves, no sex having couples, and a mission to search for missing siblings all tied into a 432 paged book. Joan Johnston balances it all really well and doesn't just throw it at you with a heaping bowl of help yourselves. She lays out a nice dinner and carves the turkey for you and adds a some gravy on top to give it that kick of awesome.

Ahh. Joan Johnston does it again. Ms. Johnson is by far my favorite Historical Western Romance writer. Her stories just take you to another world and into the lives of these amazing characters. I would definitely recommend this book. All you historical romance lovers out there? You're gonna love this one. Joan Johnston does not disappoint! This is the second book in the Mail-Order Bride series by Ms. Johnson but I believe can be read as a standalone. Johnson throws in some tidbits of information from the previous book so that you aren't lost or thinking "what the fudge cake". BUT, I would suggest you read this series from the beginning. You won't regret it :) ( )
  bishhy | Feb 20, 2013 |
As far as historical or western romances go, this one was dead on. I thoroughly enjoyed the plot, the characters, all of it! Granted, some times it was a little repetitive. The thoughts, arguments, could have been changed up a bit, but it doesn't pull away from the story. It falls right in line with the time period and how things were. I felt the characters were well developed, and likable.

A true love story, man meets woman, wants to use her. Woman meets man, wants to use him. Bam, they fall in love, but don't want to admit it to each other. I enjoy plots like this. It means you're in for some drama, and some teary scenes. The passion in this book was semi-sizzling, but well worth the read! Very good book! ( )
  nickinickuhn | Feb 7, 2013 |
This book is dedicated to LAUREN LINGUANTI and her family
Hannah had never been so scared in her life, but running wasn't an option.

The sensational second novel in Joan Johnston’s new Western historical romance series set in the world of Bitter Creek.

CAN SECRETS AND SECOND CHOICES EVER LEAD TO LOVE?

After three months in a mail-order marriage, Hannah Wentworth McMurtry is a widow—pregnant, alone, and near death in the Wyoming wilderness. Though she is saved by a man with a face cut from stone, she still grieves the husband who died on their journey west. Hannah needs a husband, but does she dare marry another stranger?

Flint Creed has also lost someone he loved—when the woman he hoped to marry chose his younger brother instead. Now he must find a ranch wife of his own. But every female in the remote Wyoming Territory is too old, too young, or already married . . . until he discovers Hannah on the prairie. Flint doesn’t pretend to love her, but he doesn’t tell her he loves another woman, either. Hannah doesn’t pretend to love him, but she doesn’t tell him about the child she carries. Though danger surrounds them on the Wyoming frontier, the greatest threats of all are the secrets within—revelations that could destroy the new life Hannah and Flint have begun to cherish.

Newly widowed, pregnant and alone in the Wyoming wilderness, Hannah Wentworth agrees to marry Flint Creed, a bitter man who is in desperate need of a wife, and as the danger of the wild frontier surrounds them, the greatest threat of all are the secrets between them.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,010,262 books! | Top bar: Always visible