The Apple Orchard by Susan Wiggs

The Apple Orchard

by Susan Wiggs

Series: Bella Vista Chronicles (1)

A stranger named Dominick brings Tess the shocking news that she is in the will of her grandfather and will inherit half of his estate. She would split the inheritance with her sister Isabel. Up until this moment, she didn't know that he sister or grandfather even existed.

She goes to Bella Vista to meet them both. Her grandfather is in a coma and she learns that he stands to lose everything.
Despite just having met Isabel, she feels instantly connected to her and wants to help save the estate.

She feels herself getting pulled deeper and deeper into life at Bella Vista and starts getting very attached to both Isabel and Dominick.

It took a long time for me to get into this story. It felt like a slow start. I'm glad I stuck with it though. It was a sweet story. ( )
  Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |
Susan Wiggs simply does family, those we are born into, and those we create for ourselves, masterfully. She is at the top of her game in the Bella Vista Chronicles. Interwoven between the beautiful landscape of California's lush Sonoma County and flashbacks to Nazi occupied Denmark we are transported. Characters are real, honest, and relatable. Fans of Susan Wiggs will be thrilled with this. Also recommended for readers of Robyn Carr, Nancy Thayer, and Mary Alice Monroe. ( )
  CMDH5 | May 3, 2017 |
At the heart of this story is the journey that the main character, Tess, takes as a sudden revelation about her family jerks her out of her workaholic world as an authenticator of art and antique treasures. That revelation comes from Dominic, a handsome banker who tells her that her grandfather is close to death after an accident and that she stands in line to inherit his estate. Tess didn't know she had a grandfather - at least on this one, as her mother never told her anything about her father. So, fresh on the heels of a panic attack, she decides going to visit his estate--an apple orchard--and finding out more would be good for her. As Tess discovers family that she never knew she had, she discovers things about herself and about life. And she also discovers the secret behind a long lost family heirloom.
This book had a great balance between the relationships of the characters, their personal issues, and a suspenseful plot about a priceless treasure that needs to be discovered. I found myself thinking about the characters and their problems even when I wasn't reading it - a sign that the author has made them very real. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys books that deal with the value and issues of family relationships.
At the end I wanted to learn more about Tess's sister and hear her story--which of course set this up nicely for a sequel. ( )
  debs4jc | Aug 19, 2016 |
Tess Delaney is a professional who works with antiquities - she is the person who tracks down and finds vintage items (jewelry, decorative pieces, artwork, sculpture) for Sheffield House. Tess is highly respected in her field and is on the brink of a promotion if she can convince the elderly owner of a rare Russian lavaliere to put the piece up for auction. Not only does Tess enjoy her work, she does so because of the history involved with the pieces and the people she works with. In this respect she has followed in her mother's and her grandmother's footsteps. She is a twenty-nine year old professional with no thought of a personal relationship on the horizon. But all that changes when she inherits half of a working apple orchard from a grandfather she didn't know she had, she also finds a family (her father's) that has existed without her knowledge. And there is nothing Tess has wanted more than to be part of a family. The executor of her grandfather's estate is a handsome banker named Dominic Rossi who breaks the news to Tess about her inheritance.

This modern day romance is just the thing to pick you up during the stay-at-home days of winter. The sunny apple orchard, the intrigue of Grandfather Johansen and his early days in the Dutch Resistance helping the Jews, and the growing relationship between Tess and Dominic as well as her new-found family is just the sort of feel-good story we need from time to time. Once I began reading I couldn't put down the book. While not edge-of-your-seat reading The Apple Orchard is story-telling at its best. As part of a two-book series, it is quite satisfying. ( )
  AuthorMarion | Apr 16, 2016 |
A great book. Two ladies brought together by the past. Couldn't put it down. ( )
  JoniJ. | Feb 25, 2016 |

Wiggs, Susanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Traister, ChristinaReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Traister, ChristinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother and father, Lou and Nick Klist, with deepest love. All I know in the world of love and passion, hard work and dedication, and the sturdy resilience of the human heart, I learned from my parents. You are, and have always been, my inspiration.
The air smelled of apples, and the orchard hummed with the sound of bees hovering over the bushels of harvested fruit.

Set to inherit half of Bella Vista, a one hundred-acre apple orchard in a town called Archangel, along with a half-sister she's never heard of, Tess Delaney, who makes a living restoring stolen treasures to their rightful owners, discovers a world filled with the simple pleasures of food and family.… (more)

Susan Wiggs is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,658,807 books! | Top bar: Always visible