dismiss

The Apple Orchard

by Susan Wiggs

Series: Bella Vista Chronicles (1)

Set to inherit half of Bella Vista, a one hundred-acre apple orchard in a town called Archangel, along with a half-sister she's never heard of, Tess Delaney, who makes a living restoring stolen treasures to their rightful owners, discovers a world filled with the simple pleasures of food and family.
Recently added bynixanook, Arina40, Margeryw

English (28)  Italian (1)  All languages (29)
Have you ever read a book that is written well but after you finish the book a few weeks later you honestly don't remember what you read or who the major players in the story were? That is my main take away from Susan Wigg's "The Apple Orchard."

The novel flip flops between two characters, Tess Delaney and Annelise Winther.

Tess toils away at her job collecting expensive objects to be sold and in some cases returned to their rightful owners. Annelise is one of Tess's clients who Tess feels is a little too interested in Tess's personal history.

When Tess is informed that she is named in her grandfather's will (a man she never knew existed) and finds out about her long lost father it has traveling from San Francisco to California to her family's apple orchard.

As I said the novel is written quite well. And though I tend to dislike most novels that have different characters points of view this one used that vehicle quite well. However, I think that in the end the story line was just ho-hum. Within 20 minutes of starting the novel I was able to quite rightly figure out the connection between all the major characters in the novel. Then I just had to wait for all parties to finally figure it out.

I just felt that in the end though "The Apple Orchard" was a very well written book it just didn't scream outstanding to me.

I would recommend to long time fans of Susan Wiggs.

Please note that I received this novel via the Amazon Vine Program. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
4.5 stars. The perfect mix of past and present, Susan Wiggs The Apple Orchard is an intriguing modern day family saga that is rich with fascinating historic details. It is a beautifully written romance that is compelling and heartwarming and will leave readers eagerly anticipating the next installment of the Bella Vista series. Please click HERE to read my review in its entirety. ( )
  kbranfield | Feb 3, 2020 |
I loved this book and could not put it down. ( )
  ClairePoussard | Aug 8, 2019 |
A stranger named Dominick brings Tess the shocking news that she is in the will of her grandfather and will inherit half of his estate. She would split the inheritance with her sister Isabel. Up until this moment, she didn't know that he sister or grandfather even existed.

She goes to Bella Vista to meet them both. Her grandfather is in a coma and she learns that he stands to lose everything.
Despite just having met Isabel, she feels instantly connected to her and wants to help save the estate.

She feels herself getting pulled deeper and deeper into life at Bella Vista and starts getting very attached to both Isabel and Dominick.

It took a long time for me to get into this story. It felt like a slow start. I'm glad I stuck with it though. It was a sweet story. ( )
  Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |
Susan Wiggs simply does family, those we are born into, and those we create for ourselves, masterfully. She is at the top of her game in the Bella Vista Chronicles. Interwoven between the beautiful landscape of California's lush Sonoma County and flashbacks to Nazi occupied Denmark we are transported. Characters are real, honest, and relatable. Fans of Susan Wiggs will be thrilled with this. Also recommended for readers of Robyn Carr, Nancy Thayer, and Mary Alice Monroe. ( )
  CMDH5 | May 3, 2017 |

Wiggs, Susanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Traister, ChristinaReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Traister, ChristinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For my mother and father, Lou and Nick Klist, with deepest love. All I know in the world of love and passion, hard work and dedication, and the sturdy resilience of the human heart, I learned from my parents. You are, and have always been, my inspiration.
The air smelled of apples, and the orchard hummed with the sound of bees hovering over the bushels of harvested fruit.

Susan Wiggs is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,955,524 books! | Top bar: Always visible