Foretold: 14 Tales of Prophecy and…

Foretold: 14 Tales of Prophecy and Prediction

by Carrie Ryan (Editor)

anaesteves | May 21, 2015 |
I guess that a whole lot of the people who read this are doing it for the final story entitled 'Homecoming' that's based in Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy's Universe. I thought that the story was fine, if a little run of the mill. I also thought the same about 'The Chosen One', though that had a main character who was at least a little more interesting.

The story that I liked the least was, ironically, the one entitled 'The Killing Garden' by the editor of the book, Carrie Ryan. It was about a royal gardener who also had to be the royal executioner. The ending seemed totally off to me, not where it should have gone.

Most of the other stories were fun, some cooler than others. 'Gentlemen Send Phantoms' was cute. 'The Mind is a Powerful Thing' a little too real, but interesting. 'Improbably Future' should have been subtitled 'don't screw with fortune tellers'. And then there was 'Misery' which I thought was one of the best in the book, it seemed to me to be a very spiritual story. A sort of combination of The Giver and Pleasantville (the former one of my favorite books, the latter a favorite movie). The story made me think, but not too much.

And there was the reason I picked up the book, Malinda Lo's story 'One True Love'. Now, I won't say that I was surprised by how the story turned out, I've read other of her stuff and the story wasn't surprising to me. Still, I really liked how the layers of the story were revealed by Lo. And I thought it was a proper fairy tale for sure. And it also had a very solid connection to the theme of the collection, prophecies and predictions.

I thought that some of the other stories in the collection didn't have a lot, or even any, connection to the theme of prophecy/prediction. They weren't bad stories, but some of them just didn't seem to fit in with the stories that were definitely about prophecy/prediction. ( )
  DanieXJ | Dec 18, 2014 |
I enjoyed these short stories, some more than others. Out of the whole book there was only two I just couldn't get into. I boringly struggled through one story and another I just had to skip. For the most part an enjoyable read. ( )
  BookaholicBanter | Nov 6, 2014 |

Lo, Malindasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McMann, Lisasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mead, Richellesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mitchell, Saundrasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peña, Matt de lasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peterfreund, Dianasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stohl, Margaretsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, Lainisecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Richelle Mead, Lisa McMann, Michael Grant, Meg Cabot, Laini Taylor, and nine more of the hottest YA authors to hit the shelves explore the concepts of prophecy and prediction in this story collection edited by NYT bestselling author of The Forest of Hands and Teeth, Carrie Ryan.

Have you ever been tempted to look into the future? To challenge predictions? To question fate? It's human nature to wonder about life's twists and turns. But is the future already written—or do you have the power to alter it?

From fantastical prophecies to predictions of how the future will transpire, Foretold is a collection of stories about our universal fascination with life's unknowns and of what is yet to come as interpreted by 14 of young adult fiction's brightest stars.

This collection includes works from:
Malinda Lo (Ash)
Lisa McMann (Wake)
Kami Garcia (Beautiful Creatures)
Margaret Stohl (Beautiful Creatures)
Laini Taylor (The Daughter of Smoke and Bone)
Michael Grant (Gone)
Saundra Mitchell (The Vespertine)
Richelle Mead (the Vampire Academy)
Matt de la Pena (I Will Save You)
Meg Cabot (The Princess Diaries)
Heather Brewer (The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod)
Diana Peterfreund (Rampant)
Simone Elkeles (Perfect Chemistry)
Carrie Ryan (The Forest of Hands and Teeth)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:39 -0400)

Collects fourteen stories that delve into the obsession with life's unknowns and the prospect of altering the future, by such authors as Meg Cabot, Diana Peterfreund, and Michael Grant.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,468,838 books! | Top bar: Always visible