Foretold: 14 Tales of Prophecy and…

Foretold: 14 Tales of Prophecy and Prediction

by Carrie Ryan (Editor)

I guess that a whole lot of the people who read this are doing it for the final story entitled 'Homecoming' that's based in Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy's Universe. I thought that the story was fine, if a little run of the mill. I also thought the same about 'The Chosen One', though that had a main character who was at least a little more interesting.

The story that I liked the least was, ironically, the one entitled 'The Killing Garden' by the editor of the book, Carrie Ryan. It was about a royal gardener who also had to be the royal executioner. The ending seemed totally off to me, not where it should have gone.

Most of the other stories were fun, some cooler than others. 'Gentlemen Send Phantoms' was cute. 'The Mind is a Powerful Thing' a little too real, but interesting. 'Improbably Future' should have been subtitled 'don't screw with fortune tellers'. And then there was 'Misery' which I thought was one of the best in the book, it seemed to me to be a very spiritual story. A sort of combination of The Giver and Pleasantville (the former one of my favorite books, the latter a favorite movie). The story made me think, but not too much.

And there was the reason I picked up the book, Malinda Lo's story 'One True Love'. Now, I won't say that I was surprised by how the story turned out, I've read other of her stuff and the story wasn't surprising to me. Still, I really liked how the layers of the story were revealed by Lo. And I thought it was a proper fairy tale for sure. And it also had a very solid connection to the theme of the collection, prophecies and predictions.

I thought that some of the other stories in the collection didn't have a lot, or even any, connection to the theme of prophecy/prediction. They weren't bad stories, but some of them just didn't seem to fit in with the stories that were definitely about prophecy/prediction. ( )
  DanieXJ | Dec 18, 2014 |
I enjoyed these short stories, some more than others. Out of the whole book there was only two I just couldn't get into. I boringly struggled through one story and another I just had to skip. For the most part an enjoyable read. ( )
  chellebuck79 | Nov 6, 2014 |

★★★★★ for Homecoming by Richelle Mead only.

Dammit, I just want more. More Rose. More Dimitri. Way more Yeva. I love to hate that bitch. >_
I gave all the stars, because the story was really good and really classic Rose. She was funny, argumentative as always, and endearing. Brought me back to good times in the earlier VA days. I want more.

A couple of things:

- Why wasn't this free? No, seriously. Why? From my recollection, this was a reward, from Mead to her fans, for voting up VA for something or other. So, why wasn't this free? I coughed up the dough for this, but the price is pretty steep for someone who doesn't give a rat's ass about any of the other stories.

- Why can't there be more Rose & Dimitri books? No, seriously. Why? From my recollection, Rose & Dimitri are the best thing evar. So, why can't there be more Roza & Dimka books?
  JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
Quiero mas de Dimka y Rose ( )
  Anngela_ | Aug 31, 2013 |
I've always been fascinated by the theme explored in Foretold: prophecy and prediction. I remember various instances throughout my childhood when my mother told me that, for better or worse, something was meant to be. Later, in middle school, I fell in love with the epic tale of a boy fulfilling a prophecy in David Eddings' The Belgariad. Then, in high school and college, I was intrigued by the idea of self-fulfilling prophecy I studied in my psychology course. So, when I picked up this collection of short stories, I was curious see what others would connect to the mysterious concepts.

In addition to my initial curiosity about the theme of this collection, I was interested in the concept of a collection of short stories. Though I'd glanced at them before, I'd never actually sat down and read a collection of short stories... or any short stories at all apart from those assigned in my literature seminars. I found it curious that many readers appeared to have purchased or read this collection specifically for Richelle Mead's short story, Homecoming, which centers around Rose and Dmitri the Vampire Academy books, which was worrisome to me because I never finished that series and hadn't picked one up in years.

The anthology begins with Laini Taylor's Gentleman Send Phantoms, which I immediately adored. For me, that story set the tone for the entire collection. Whimsical with gorgeous imagery, this story set the tone as anything is possible. Each story had an entirely different feel and tone, yet they were all connected by thread extending from Taylor's story.

The anthology ends with the Richelle Mead story based in the world of the VA books. For me the story didn't shine as bright as it might have if I still read the VA books or had read them recently. I remember really loving Rose and her world, but the details were hazy and I didn't feel as invested in Rose and Dmitri's story after being away from it for so long.

Unless you are a diehard fan of their story, I can't imagine buying an entire book and never reading the other stories. Because they are amazing. Even the ones that wasn't entirely captivated by were interesting. I have read full length books by many of the authors in this anthology, so I'm familiar with their writing, but I was blown away by what I read in Foretold. The style of each author was present, but shaped in a completely new way.

I was particularly drawn to the stories that featured magic and fantasy than those that were more science fiction or realistic... Still there were a couple in the latter categories that ended up being favorites as well:

Laini Taylor Gentleman Send Phantoms
Simone Elkeles Fate
Diana Peterfreund Burned Bright
Carrie Ryan The Killing Garden
Lisa McMann The Angriest Man

Many of the stories that ended up being on of my favorites felt very connected to other things I'd read by them, like the stories by Laini Taylor, Malinda Lo, Richelle Mead, and Michael Grant. Others, however, showed side of some of my favorite authors that I wasn't as familiar with, like Saundra Mitchell, Simone Elkeles, Diana Peterfreund, Carrie Ryan, and Lisa McMann, and I wanted more. Plus, I experienced some writers for the first time, like Matt de la Pena, Margie Stohl, Kami Garcia, and Heather Brewer.

Not only did I love the stories in this collection, I closed the covers with a hunger to read and reread a number of these authors. It felt like a nice little snack to help decide what I wanted for my main course: whatever full length novel I chose to read next, perhaps by one of the authors in this wonderfully imagined collection. ( )
  thehidingspot | May 10, 2013 |

Lo, Malindasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McMann, Lisasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mead, Richellesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mitchell, Saundrasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peña, Matt de lasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peterfreund, Dianasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stohl, Margaretsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, Lainisecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Richelle Mead, Lisa McMann, Michael Grant, Meg Cabot, Laini Taylor, and nine more of the hottest YA authors to hit the shelves explore the concepts of prophecy and prediction in this story collection edited by NYT bestselling author of The Forest of Hands and Teeth, Carrie Ryan.

Have you ever been tempted to look into the future? To challenge predictions? To question fate? It's human nature to wonder about life's twists and turns. But is the future already written—or do you have the power to alter it?

From fantastical prophecies to predictions of how the future will transpire, Foretold is a collection of stories about our universal fascination with life's unknowns and of what is yet to come as interpreted by 14 of young adult fiction's brightest stars.

This collection includes works from:
Malinda Lo (Ash)
Lisa McMann (Wake)
Kami Garcia (Beautiful Creatures)
Margaret Stohl (Beautiful Creatures)
Laini Taylor (The Daughter of Smoke and Bone)
Michael Grant (Gone)
Saundra Mitchell (The Vespertine)
Richelle Mead (the Vampire Academy)
Matt de la Pena (I Will Save You)
Meg Cabot (The Princess Diaries)
Heather Brewer (The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod)
Diana Peterfreund (Rampant)
Simone Elkeles (Perfect Chemistry)
Carrie Ryan (The Forest of Hands and Teeth)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:46 -0400)

Collects fourteen stories that delve into the obsession with life's unknowns and the prospect of altering the future, by such authors as Meg Cabot, Diana Peterfreund, and Michael Grant.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,400,869 books! | Top bar: Always visible