Ysabel by Guy Gavriel Kay

Ysabel (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Guy Gavriel Kay

Member:maschine
Title:Ysabel
Authors:Guy Gavriel Kay
Info:Roc (2007), Ausgabe: First Edition First Printing, Hardcover, 421 Seiten
Collections:Your library, Gelesen, 2012 neu, 2012 gelesen
Rating:*****
Tags:new in 2012, read, read in 2012

Ysabel by Guy Gavriel Kay (2007)

Recently added bykthork, DReicht, lavergne_rsl, private library, sephibitchwitch, ErusLudus, G_Riv, harefoot, LegoDruid

English (70)  Dutch (2)  All languages (72)
I understand why some people are disappointed in this book; if you get into Ysabel thinking you're getting a regular Guy Gavriel Kay, than this might be a bit of a let down. The writing style is different. Every now and then it shows flashes of regular GGK, but overall it's more superficial and less dramatic. On the other hand, if you make a habit of checking out reviews before you read a book, then you know this, and are not surprised. Such was the case with me, and I really enjoyed this book. I knew there was a link to Fionavar, and I was very happy to see Kim and Dave again. I would have liked it better if Kim had had a bit more power. After all, I think she says Earth has need of a dreamer too when she returns here. I would have liked to see a bit more evidence of that. Still, nice story, nice characters, swift pacing. Not as compelling as a normal GGK, but a good read nonetheless. ( )
1 vote zjakkelien | May 3, 2014 |
I have read many of the reviews of this none of which seem to mention thestory is basically a ghost story. ( )
  Davidmullen | Mar 16, 2014 |
Reread it. I cried. I smiled. I couldn't put it down. Again. ( )
  dogwooddenizen | Jan 7, 2014 |
A wonderful book. I really enjoyed it. A young Canadian gets embroiled in a a story retold over two thousand years. This was aimed at young adult readers as there is a fair amount of teen angst over sex and their place in an adult world. It is typical high quality writing by Kay. ( )
  stuart10er | Nov 5, 2013 |
Ah.Not so good.The weakest of all his books.Well enough written but dull.Girl goes back in time as her ancestor ( )
  babybelle | Jul 2, 2013 |

Guy Gavriel Kayprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Banning, GregCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant,LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is one story and one story only
That will prove worth your telling,
Whether as learned bard or gifted child;
To it all lines or lesser gauds belong
That startle with their shining
Such common stories as they stray into.

-- Robert Graves
For Linda McKnight
and
Anthea Morton-Saner
The woods came to the edge of the property: to the gravel of the drive, the electronic gate, and the green twisted-wire fence that kept out the boars.
Iedereen komt ergens anders vandaan.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451461908, Paperback)

Saint-Sauveur Cathedral of Aix-en-Provence is an ancient structure of many secrets-a perfect monument to fill the lens of a celebrated photographer, and a perfect place for the photographer's son, Ned Marriner, to lose himself while his father works.

But the cathedral isn't the empty edifice it appears to be. Its history is very much alive in the present day-and it's calling out to Ned...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:51 -0400)

While his photographer father works to record Saint-Saveur Cathedral of Aix-en-Provence, Ned Marriner wanders the halls and rooms of the ancient structure, uncovering some of the many secrets of the monument and discovering that it is not as empty as it appears.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,030,822 books! | Top bar: Always visible