Ysabel by Guy Gavriel Kay

Ysabel (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Guy Gavriel Kay

Member:maschine
Title:Ysabel
Authors:Guy Gavriel Kay
Info:Roc (2007), Ausgabe: First Edition First Printing, Hardcover, 421 Seiten
Collections:Your library, Gelesen, 2012 neu, 2012 gelesen
Rating:*****
Tags:new in 2012, read, read in 2012

Ysabel by Guy Gavriel Kay (2007)

English (76)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (79)
I had some problems with the story, partly to do with the reader not putting enough emotion into the reading, but also because the pathos seemed forced and the whole main plot unbelievable. I enjoyed the historical underpinning of Celtic, Roman themes but it wasn't enough to save the novel as a whole. ( )
  charlie68 | May 16, 2016 |
I had such high hopes for this story… It starts out at the funky Aix-En-Provence Cathedral… I love Provence! So, I’m reading…. and I’m asking myself “What’s the deal? I’ve seen rave reviews of this book”. So I tell myself that maybe the prose is so muddled because this book had been translated into English. However, I quickly discover that the author is Canadian.
The main character is a fifteen year-old boy who bears no resemblance to any fifteen year-old human I have ever heard of. As a former fifteen year-old myself, I feel insulted on behalf of teenagers everywhere. It’s like the author thought if he threw in enough brand names and buzz words the readers wouldn’t notice. (Coke, Nike, iPod, earbuds, jpeg, etc.) Needless to say, I didn’t finish, but I could see where the author was going, and it reminded me of Labyrinth by Kate Mosse (Which I can’t recommend either, although it is set in another French town I love – Carcassonne)
  memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |
I love fantasy where you actually learn something. Descriptions of Provence are wonderful, and Kay weaves the region's history into an extremely well-plotted and thrilling tale. Ned Marriner is a charming young hero. ( )
  seschanfield | Mar 7, 2016 |
Two chance-met modern teenagers involve themselves in a struggle that has continued for millennia. The beginning is too larded with “with-it” details (in the first few pages, Ned contemplates his iPod, Coldplay, and skate-boarding) that will quickly seem more dated than hip. The story kicks in soon after, though, when Ned and Kate encounter a dangerous looking stranger in the catacombs of Provence. Sheer curiosity gets them sucked into a battle between the Celts and the Romans, a battle that eventually takes the form of a treasure hunt and requires all of Ned’s family and friends as well as his own skills. Ned’s family and their friends feel very natural together, and the dialog was easily as interesting as the magic. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Engaging story. Good Halloween read. ( )
  cjservis | Jan 17, 2016 |

Guy Gavriel Kayprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Banning, GregCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant,LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is one story and one story only
That will prove worth your telling,
Whether as learned bard or gifted child;
To it all lines or lesser gauds belong
That startle with their shining
Such common stories as they stray into.

-- Robert Graves
For Linda McKnight
and
Anthea Morton-Saner
The woods came to the edge of the property: to the gravel of the drive, the electronic gate, and the green twisted-wire fence that kept out the boars.
Iedereen komt ergens anders vandaan.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451461908, Paperback)

Saint-Sauveur Cathedral of Aix-en-Provence is an ancient structure of many secrets-a perfect monument to fill the lens of a celebrated photographer, and a perfect place for the photographer's son, Ned Marriner, to lose himself while his father works.

But the cathedral isn't the empty edifice it appears to be. Its history is very much alive in the present day-and it's calling out to Ned...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:56 -0400)

While his photographer father works to record Saint-Saveur Cathedral of Aix-en-Provence, Ned Marriner wanders the halls and rooms of the ancient structure, uncovering some of the many secrets of the monument and discovering that it is not as empty as it appears.… (more)

69 wanted5 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,979,551 books! | Top bar: Always visible