The Ragamuffin Gospel: Good News for the…

The Ragamuffin Gospel: Good News for the Bedraggled, Beat-Up, and Burnt… (original 1990; edition 2005)

by Brennan Manning

Member:grkmwk
Title:The Ragamuffin Gospel: Good News for the Bedraggled, Beat-Up, and Burnt Out
Authors:Brennan Manning
Info:Multnomah Books (2005), Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:**1/2
Tags:faith, grace

The Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning (1990)

"The ragamuffin who sees his life as a voyage of discovery and runs the risk of failure has a better feel for faithfulness than the timid man who hides behind the law and never finds out who he is at all."
Brennan Manning, The Ragamuffin Gospel: Good News for the Bedraggled, Beat-Up, and Burnt Out ( )
  Carolfoasia | Jul 14, 2014 |
I was deeply challenged and blessed by Manning's words. We too easily replace the love and compassion of God with religious ideas and practices that lack the power to transform our lives. Manning challenges these ideas and offers a path for all of us to follow to the heart of God. ( )
  ChuckS65 | Oct 7, 2013 |
Have wanted to read this for a long time. Did not disappoint. ( )
  cbinstead | Oct 3, 2013 |
I decided to read this classic work again due to current events. I noticed that Brennan Manning was a trending topic on Twitter during the late hours of April 12. Several Christian artists and writers posted little tributes to him and I knew that he had passed on into glory. I added my own tribute to the author...

Read the full review on my blog: http://jmnz.us/11XKVOV ( )
  cjime008 | Aug 15, 2013 |
incredible, down to earth, look At authentic Christianity. Very honest and not pious. ( )
  DaleCogdell | Dec 1, 2012 |
emprestei para Mirian em maio 2014

added by juliocutrim | editsao paulo

Home is that sacred space--external or internal--where we don't have to be afraid, where we are confident of hospitality and love.
Compassion for others is not a simple virtue because it avoids snap judgments--right or wrong, good or bad, hero or villain: it seeks truth in all its complexity.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0880706317, Paperback)

Brennan Manning wrote The Ragamuffin Gospel "for the bedraggled, beat-up, and burnt-out," the marginalized folks to whom Jesus ministered: the children, the ill, the tax collectors, the women. In other words, the ragamuffins. Manning understands better than most that behind our facades of order and self-assurance are inadequacies that can find healing only in Jesus. While the powerful and religious elite challenged him, Jesus embraced and healed and fed the needs of the ragamuffins. Jesus delivered love, healing, and, most of all, grace.

Grace is defined as "the freely given and unmerited favor and love of God." But, as Manning points out, we have "twisted the gospel of grace into religious bondage and distorted the image of God into an eternal, small-minded bookkeeper." In reality, God offers us grace immeasurable. Brennan Manning gently encourages us to embrace that grace in the face of our greatest needs. And Manning certainly knows whereof he speaks, having taken a journey from priesthood and academic achievement through a collapse into alcoholism. Manning came face to face with his need, finally abandoning himself to grace. And he invites us now to join him in a life of grace.

Manning is without doubt one of the most eloquent writers on the subject of grace because he openly shares his own pain and struggle to help readers deal with failure and inadequacy. And he sweetly challenges them to do the same. --Patricia Klein

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:05 -0400)

Discusses Christianity and God's unconditional love and grace.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,699,627 books! | Top bar: Always visible