The End of Your Life Book Club by Will…

The End of Your Life Book Club (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Will Schwalbe

Member:tloeffler
Title:The End of Your Life Book Club
Authors:Will Schwalbe
Info:Knopf (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Non-Fiction, Signed

The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe (2012)

English (139)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  All (144)
As a reader of course I devoured this book for all of the book titles that were mentioned in its pages, but I also couldn't put this down because of the story it told. The author's mother has terminal cancer and decides to go through treatment for as long as it makes sense to. Together mother and son go to appointment after appointment and visit with each other, sharing their favorite books. They make a book club for two out of it, swapping titles back and forth and sharing how they feel about each one.

There were some wonderful works mentioned here, which I have put on my own reading list, but it was the story of family and togetherness that touched me when reading this. This is yet another of those books that I have on my list of those I recommend to everyone. ( )
  mirrani | Jan 11, 2017 |
This was a memoir of a son's experience with the cancer treatment for his mother. They decided to form a bookclub to talk about and read books during her treatment. It was interesting to hear their comments about certain books I'd read and appreciated knowing about books I haven't yet read. The heroine of the story was a remarkable woman and I can understand why her son would want to write about it. ( )
  janismack | Jan 4, 2017 |
Absolutely fabulous!!! As an avid reader, I had wanted to read this book simply for the discussions of the books they read over the 2 years of her battle with cancer. Turns out, I have only read a small percentage of the books discussed. What I fell in love with was not only the role books played in their lives but more so the relationship the author has with his mother and her selfless love of others. Yes, one could say he portrays his mother almost saintly but based on all she has accomplished in life….it’s both believable and deserving.

Another part I enjoyed about this book is their experience and insights with dealing with incurable but treatable cancer. Their acceptance and continued upbeat (yet sometimes cautious) attitude through it all was amazing. I have friends and family that have lost their battle with cancer and some who have won, but I also have both a friend and a family member currently battling incurable but treatable cancer. Maybe my opinion is a little skewed because of that, but I think this is one of the best books I have read lately and highly recommend it.

A take away – always smile at people, even strangers. You never know just how much difference a simple smile can make in someone’s life. :)
  lynnski723 | Dec 31, 2016 |
I didn't want this charming book to end. A lengthy illness turns into a blessing as the son spends time with his mother, getting to know her in a different way. Discussing books helps them talk to each other and approach subjects that might be painful to talk about otherwise. ( )
  Luke_Brown | Sep 10, 2016 |
A must read for book lovers! This book will only enhance your appreciation for reading and give you some reccomendations on what to read to boot! Great gift for any book lover you know or a gift for your mother. ( )
  masteryoda716 | Aug 31, 2016 |
This book is dedicated with love and gratitude to Nina, Doug, and Dad —
and David.
We were nuts about the mocha in the waiting room at Memorial Sloan-Kettering's outpatient care center.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307594033, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, October 2012: Tissues at the ready, I braced myself for The End of Your Life Book Club, Will Schwalbe’s memoir of his mother’s death from pancreatic cancer. But Mary Anne Schwalbe is such a fierce, unsentimental heroine--and her son such a frank and funny storyteller--that what could have been an emotional roller coaster turns out to be a beautifully paced ride. Mary Anne loves a good book as ardently as she loves her kids and her causes, chief among them a campaign to build a library in Afghanistan. When her health starts to fail, Will joins her for hospital appointments. They wait, they talk, and they read together--everything they’ve ever wanted to discuss. As much an homage to literature as to the mother who shared it with him, Will’s chronicle of this heartrending time opens up his captivating family to the rest of us. We should all be so lucky as to read along with the Schwalbes. --Mia Lipman

Amazon Exclusive: An Essay by Will Schwalbe

Will Schwalbe

For twenty-one years I worked in book publishing, mostly in editorial, acquiring the rights to manuscripts, working with authors to help shape their works, and trying to convince the world to pay attention to the various, wonderful books we were publishing. I learned from some of the all time great editors and publishers. But part of my publishing education went way, way back – to before I could read a word myself.

When I was a young child, before I went to sleep, my mother, like so many parents, would read me a book. My brother, eighteen months older, got his own book read to him. Later, my sister, four years younger, would have her own.

My mother was a working mother (a phrase she always disliked, as she rightly pointed out that no one talks of “working fathers”), so she wasn’t always home at night. She sometimes worked late, and she travelled for business, and, even when she and my dad were in town, they occasionally were out for dinner. But if she was home, she read us each a book before bed.

My early favorites included The Story of Ferdinand by Munro Leaf and Harold and Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson. I loved that there was a bull who liked to smell flowers and wouldn’t fight, and I was amazed by the boy who could draw himself out of any jam. But the experience was far more than the books themselves. First, there was the comfort and security of being tucked into bed. (Is it coincidence that we use the phrase “tuck into” before three of my favorite things: food, bed, and good books, or is it because the pleasures of each have so much in common?) Then, there was the happy, selfish knowledge that, when it was my turn, I would be able to monopolize my mother’s attention just by sitting and listening.

But what I remember most is the way Mom made us feel that she was sharing something she loved with us, not completing a chore or performing a ritual. (Though I’m sure there were many nights when she was exhausted and would have loved to be in bed herself and fast asleep.) And when we shared the books, we also shared discussions about them. Why didn’t the men understand that Ferdinand just didn’t want to fight? There’s no one answer, but it’s a question Mom and I explored together time and again.

Later, I would start to read to myself of course. But it was the nightly reading with Mom that helped me become a reader – and probably pushed me toward the career in book publishing. From Mom, I learned that there’s a public pleasure in books as well as a private one; that sharing books you love and getting others to read them can create a powerful bond, not just between a parent and child, but among thousands or millions of strangers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:08 -0400)

The inspiring story of a son and his dying mother, who form a "book club" that brings them together as her life comes to a close.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,747,395 books! | Top bar: Always visible