Fix by Force by Jason Warne

Fix by Force

by Jason Warne

731,138,814 (4.67)None

Background: Spencer is just trying to live his life and get through high school, but that is hard when you have a bully tormenting you all the time. He believes that somehow he can change himself for the better and only gets himself into more trouble, and realizations that his life and family aren't what he thinks they are.

Review: Fix by Force is a very emotional ride. Spencer is a strong, stubborn character who is hard to like, even in the beginning. He believes the world kind of revolves around him and that leads him down bad roads. He fights with his mother, gets expelled from school, and then gets wrapped up in steriods to give himself confidence....

It was very hard to read this book, but it was a GOOD tale. I think that it's equivalent would be a tale of a girl with an eating disorder. Spencer feels inadequate and starts using, the people around him start to leave him as he progressively gets worse.

I think that Spencer is hard to follow as a lead character, but it also allows you to understand some of the choices that he makes. This is not a fun fantasy or romance, but a dark, purposeful, piece of writing that will strongly impact the reader.

Only 99 cents on Amazon for Kindle. Please go support this book. It is intense.

Book was provided by the Author for an honest review. ( )
  sszkutak | Jul 16, 2012 |
If I was could sum up this book in one word, it would be WOW (capitalized for effect). This is an incredibly powerful story chock full of emotion and drama.

Spencer is a high school senior who feels insignificant and powerless. He comes from a dysfunctional family, including a verbally and occasionally physically abusive mother, and he is being bullied at school with no one to turn to for help. Spencer feels he is alone in the world with his pain, and his greatest fear is of turning into his much-hated father. Spencer realizes he needs to take action to turn his life around, but he is looking for a quick fix with immediate results, no matter the consequences.

Spencer's character was nothing short of amazing. The way the author was able to portray Spencer's feelings of self-loathing, fear, and loneliness on the pages of this book made the story absolutely heart wrenching to read. We were able to get inside his head and were able to see his rationalizations for his actions, and even though he knew the consequences of the steroids and could see them being played out with a negative impact on his health and his friendships, he still thought what he was doing was okay because it would help him get noticed, be liked by other people, and ultimately be somebody.

I loved that we were able to get to know Spencer pre-steroids and then were able to journey with him over the timeframe of the story, watching the consequences of his decisions play out and how those consequences, plus other external forces (family and friends), change his outlook on life as he eventually realizes that he may not be as alone in the world as he thought.

The best kind of book is one that leaves you thinking about it long after you've read the last word. Fix by Force is that kind of book. Ultimately, I am going to recommend this book to everyone I know, as it is the kind of story that every parent and teen should read. ( )
  srfeike | Jun 7, 2012 |
I want to open this review with a quote from the actual book. This quote is from near the end of the book, and I don't think it spoilers, but beware anyhow:

"Too many young writers waste time backspacing through mistakes and overanalyzing the appearance of the words they've written. A good story though, is just that, a GOOD STORY. It's often written hastily and driven by emotion. It compels the reader to continue, and makes him feel like part of the experience."

Having said that: This book personifies that. I was pulled in right from the get-go and I loved every single page of it. Fix by Force starts with Spencer's daily activities, brutal bullying included. Physical bullying, which I have no experiences with, included. I do however have pretty extensive knowledge of mental bullying and it was expertly done in this book. I was about to write "written", but even though it is in fact written, it doesn't feel like that to the reader. It feels like one is looking directly into Spencer's head.

Even though he is quite obviously wrong in most of his ways of thinking for a great part of the book, the reasoning made a lot of sense to me because I was able to think myself into the character. All the characters - even the minor ones - were build very well and I think we all know people who are maybe a bit like Zack or Tay. I remember someone saying that he couldn't understand why victims of bullying are jealous of their bullies. I was always jealous of the girl who bullied me in school, down to every fiber of my body. And I also hate her a lot, still. So that's why I - in my situation - would not have reacted the same way that Spencer did in the end.

But you know what? It made so much sense for Spencer. Everything he had become and everything he didn't want to be made the ending so perfect. I can recommend this book to teens and adults alike. It doesn't downplay the abuse of steroids in any way, as many books do in my opinion, and it also shows that while you may think that you are lost and are not worth anything the way you are right now, that you are always wrong. Always. Because there is going to be someone in your life that values you a lot.

So read this book, it's very great. In my opinion, very much on parr with books like If I Stay, or even Forbidden - though not in the obvious way. Fix by Force very much deals with emotional as well as environmental issues of teens these days and I love how it is done! ( )
  Jibar | May 10, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,351,116 books! | Top bar: Always visible