The Friday Society by Adrienne Kress

The Friday Society (edition 2012)

by Adrienne Kress

1931363,175 (3.55)4
Member:LibraryGirl11
Title:The Friday Society
Authors:Adrienne Kress
Info:
Collections:2013

The Friday Society by Adrienne Kress

The Friday Society should be one of every teen girl's favorite books. It takes place in a fictional world: Our late 19th/early 20th century, but with steam-punk and follows the stories of three bad-ass teen girls.

It starts off with a bang... literally! Cora is the first of the three girls we meet. She is in her lab where she shadows a secret inventor politician. She loves science. Nellie is the next girl we meet. She is blonde, beautiful, and a magician's assistant. Miko is the third and final girl we meet. She is a samurai, trained in Japan, but under appreciated, so she escapes to America where unfortunately she finds a rotten wannabe American "samurai expert" to take her in.

The overall story is interwoven between the three girls. Each chapter is exciting and telling. The jumping back and forth between story lines is pleasant because we get to learn about each girl's past and see how their future is evolving in front of their very eyes.

As we are introduced to the people in each of their lives, the girls discover a headless body. The seemingly toughest character, Miko, faints and ends up being taken care of by Cora and Nellie. What transpires after this point are the girls' plans to solve the case and figure out whom they really trust. It's funny, admirable, and exciting all the way through. It was an incredibly fun read.

Unfortunately, there isn't much steam-punk, so if that's what you're looking for you'll find bits of steam-punk accessories and weapons scattered throughout, but it doesn't focus on that element. ( )
  theindigoshelf | Jul 6, 2014 |
Due to copy and paste, formatting has been lost. 3.5 stars.

If I'm honest with you, I'll tell you that I love books with girl power. There is not one girl in this world who "needs" a guy to save her, and I love it when that crosses over into YA lit. It sends a great message, because there are so many girls out there that think they "need" a guy to be something. And this is one of the best examples of a girl power kind of book - it's a totally badass steampunk version of Charlie's Angels, but without a "Charlie".

Before I go on, let me just tell you that I love Charlie's Angels. It's just such a fun movie, and, like I said - GIRL POWER! So I was bound to at least like this one. And I did, but not as much as I had originally hoped. I think the thing that killed it for me was the ending - you know how I have problems with those.

I'm not going to reveal spoilers, but let's just say that I wasn't too surprised in the end.... to say the least. There were a few twists that I didn't see coming, but the ending... it just takes the cake for predictable, unfortunately. But here I go, starting the review at the end again! Let's talk about something more interesting, like say... I don't know, maybe the characters?

Like I said before, there is a seriously awesome amount of girl power in this book. Like, a lot! And I love love loved that! I enjoyed all of our main characters, and it was fun to read from each of their different points of view. I never got confused about who was speaking (and there were no name titles), but I think, hands down, that Cora was my favorite.

She was super smart - like, inventor smart (funny, that... she is an inventor) and she's so awesome! I loved her spunk, and the way that she wasn't afraid to stand up for what she believed in. Or to help someone who was in need. She was funny, and she liked to kind of blend into the background - which was a nice change.

That doesn't mean that I didn't like Michiko and Nellie, though! I just liked them for different reasons. I liked Michiko's drive and discipline, and Nellie's flair for girliness. Cora was definitely my favorite, though!

In other news, I think this book has the most realistic "relationship" ever described - it was hilarious when it happened, but... in the end, I think it's nice to see a relationship that doesn't work out in the end. Also a good message.

All in all, I'd say that The Friday Society was a fun steampunk adventure, with plenty of action and interesting characters - but I feel like the ending could have been better. ( )
  MVTheBookBabe | Jan 13, 2014 |
The story was okay - there were parts I liked and others that kind of made me shake my head. Overall meh! ( )
  mbklibrary | Aug 25, 2013 |
...arson and old lace, or rather, explosive steampunk deeds!

Three young women, all assistants for men of modernity in the Victorian era. All different--the yin to each other's yan.
My interest was certainly piqued from opening scene with Cora Bell who likes explosions!
Then fetching her boss Lord White from an opium den was an interesting Sherlock Holmes type touch. Nellie is an assistant to an illusionist. Michiko ia a samurai trained assistant to a overbearing weapons expert, trying to steer the warrior's path.
A footman forces his attentions on Nellie, Cora comes to her assistance and then enroute via a steam engine they come across an unconscious Michikol, and a decapitated body.
And this is only the opening scenes. The encore is so much more in this steampunk, action adventure. Enjoyable!

A NetGalley ARC ( )
  eyes.2c | May 28, 2013 |
Talk about a book that is pure fun to read! Sure, some of the terms used by these Victorian ladies was a bit anachronistic (i.e. 'super hot' and the like), but overall, The Friday Society was an enjoyable romp in Steampunk territory with three fascinating young ladies to keep me company. ( )
  Cailiosa | Apr 5, 2013 |

An action-packed tale of gowns, guys, guns–and the heroines who use them all

Set in turn of the century London, The Friday Society follows the stories of three very intelligent and talented young women, all of whom are assistants to powerful men: Cora, lab assistant; Michiko, Japanese fight assistant; and Nellie, magician's assistant. The three young women's lives become inexorably intertwined after a chance meeting at a ball that ends with the discovery of a murdered mystery man.

It's up to these three, in their own charming but bold way, to solve the murder–and the crimes they believe may be connected to it–without calling too much attention to themselves.

Set in the past but with a modern irreverent flare, this Steampunk whodunit introduces three unforgettable and very ladylike–well, relatively ladylike–heroines poised for more dangerous adventures.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:51 -0400)

Cora, Nellie, and Michiko, teenaged assistants to three powerful men in Edwardian London, meet by chance at a ball that ends with the discovery of a murdered man, leading the three to work together to solve this and related crimes without drawing undue attention to themselves.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,387,184 books! | Top bar: Always visible