dismiss

In the Country of Men (2006)

by Hisham Matar

Libya, 1979. Nine-year-old Suleiman's days are circumscribed by the narrow rituals of childhood: outings to the ruins surrounding Tripoli, games with friends played under the burning sun, exotic gifts from his father's constant business trips abroad. But his nights have come to revolve around his mother's increasingly disturbing bedside stories full of old family bitterness. And then one day Suleiman sees his father across the square of a busy marketplace, his face wrapped in a pair of dark sunglasses. Wasn't he supposed to be away on business yet again? Why is he going into that strange building with the green shutters? Why did he lie? Suleiman is soon caught up in a world he cannot hope to understand-where the sound of the telephone ringing becomes a portent of grave danger; where his mother frantically burns his father's cherished books; where a stranger full of sinister questions sits outside in a parked car all day; where his best friend's father can disappear overnight, next to be seen publicly interrogated on state television.In the Country of Men is a stunning depiction of a child confronted with the private fallout of a public nightmare. But above all, it is a debut of rare insight and literary grace.… (more)

English (51)  Dutch (2)  Norwegian (1)  Greek (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (56)
Read 2018. ( )
  sasameyuki | May 14, 2020 |
Suleiman, a nine-year-old boy in Libya is ignorant of the threat brought about by the new regime of Muammar Gaddafi. He unwittingly supplies information to the secret police who are watching his home for the father they suspect of being a subversive. Matar has created an outstanding story from a difficult, brutal era in Libya, an era to which he was personally exposed. His writing is beautiful, as is apparent in the scene where the boy is feasting on mulberries, as well as the execution scene that is televised and with every minute detail noticed by the audience. This is a profound story that the reader will remember long after closing the book. ( )
  VivienneR | Mar 4, 2020 |
First Libyan Lit read. As a reader I loved it. It is told mostly from the perspective of a 9-year-old boy but written when he was 24, so it is more fleshed out than you might expect. The more world lit I read, the more pissed I get with fundamentalism and the patriarchy. Not “Oh good, it’s not just my country.” But it’s f’ed up everywhere. Good perspective of Libyan society, though.
  jveezer | Oct 12, 2018 |
In 1979, the protagonist of In the Country of Men, Suleiman, was nine years old. I had just turned ten. This colored my reading of this book because I remember Qaddafi, or at least the news reports and talk about him, and I couldn’t help but compare what I knew with what Suleiman experienced, and what neither of us really understood. Suleiman’s world is frightening and confusing. He navigates childhood with its ever-changing allegiances and hidden traps and he’s also forced to make his way through levels of adult worlds, the first, that of his mother’s “illness,” the second the political climate of Libya under Qaddafi.

From the moment we meet Suleiman we know nothing is okay. The first sentence of the book says this is a tale of the summer before he “was sent away” (1). Immediately things are tentative, sliding out of his reach and of ours. The next thing we find out is about his mother’s illness and how his father is unaware of it, “she only fell ill when he was away on business” (2). To a child, that’s a scary coincidence, but to an adult reader that’s deliberate, a sign of something his mother is hiding from his father but that she can’t hide from her child. Alcoholism was my first thought, and I was not wrong. This forces Suleiman to act as her caretaker during her illnesses, staying awake to make sure she doesn’t set a fire by falling asleep (passing out) while smoking, then, childlike, taking advantage of her guilt the next day and getting treats and a special lunch.

Suleiman describes his mother as dealing with “a world full of men and the greed of men” (4). In describing her youth, his mother says of the agreement between her father and her husband-to-be that word had been given and received, “men’s words that could never be taken back or exchanged” (174). This is the world in which they both live, where the words and the power belong only to men and Suleiman and his mother are dragged along as if caught in the currents of those words. It’s no wonder that his mother clings to the story of Scheherezade even as she hates it. Scheherezade is a woman who used her own words to survive in man’s world and at the end of the stories used what little power she had gained to ask to live for her sons’ sake. Part of that, I think, is self-hatred, because she feels trapped in her own marriage because of the son she never wanted to have, the one she now cares for more than almost anything.

Suleiman’s father is a bit of a mystery in the book, as fathers so often are to their young children. He is “Baba” and that is his role and his name. Suleiman sees him as powerful, a man in a man’s world, typing out and reading his words, words that tie him to the other men in power. What Suleiman can’t see, and what his mother seems to, is that other men depend on his father’s words also, or at least his willingness to write them, and that his father’s words are not always his own. “Your father feels nothing when he’s reading,” she says, “He loves his books more than anything else. One day they’ll come to burn them and us with them” (98). When Mama and Moosa burn Baba’s books to hide them from the Revolutionary Committee, Suleiman is angry and saves one, thinking his father would want it. He doesn’t yet understand that not all man’s words are welcome in man’s world. Only those that are approved.

Their neighbor, and Baba’s close friend, Ustath Rashid is arrested. Suleiman sees him on television being asked to confess, the screen goes dark at a time when it is hinted that Rashid is being tortured. Much later in the book we see a televised “trial” ending in the hanging of Rashid. It takes place at a sports arena and is cheered on by “fans.” Mama says the next morning that instead of begging, “he should have said something” (189). Her belief in men’s words seems intact, but how can it be with her own husband arrested and possibly facing this same sort of trial. It’s interesting that when she went to speak to the local party representative about freeing her husband it was she and his wife who did most of the talking, and it’s his wife who comes over not long after the trial to give her the good news that her husband can be released.

At the end of that summer, Suleiman is sent away, as he told us he would be on the first page. No one’s words are enough to save him in Libya, so he is sent to live with Moosa’s father in Cairo, where he grows and seems happy. Suleiman becomes a pharmacist and is “fully aware” that this choice is inspired by his mother and her “illness.” After years of not speaking to her, and after his father’s death, his mother is finally able to visit him in Cairo. One of the last things we hear him say is “Mama.” Though it is a country of men and it is men’s words that have the power, it is his mother, no more than a woman, who inspired him most. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
shortlisted 2006 man booker prize
shortlisted 2007 national book critics circle
quite boring, slow moving ( )
  mahallett | Jun 28, 2018 |
I am recalling now that last summer before I was sent away.
"Publishing History:
Viking UK hardcover edition published 2006
Dial Press hardcover edition / February 2007" T.p. verso.

On a white-hot day in Tripoli, Libya, in the summer of 1979, nine-year-old Suleiman is shopping in the market square with his mother. His father is away on business - but Suleiman is sure he has just seen him, standing across the street in a pair of dark glasses. But whiy isn't he waving? And why doesn't he come over when he knows Suleiman's mother is falling apart?

Whispers and fears intensify around Suleiman: his best friend's father disappears and is next seen being interrogated on state television; a man parks his car outside the house every day and asks strange questions; and his mother frantically burns his father's books. As Suleiman begins to wonder whether his father has disappeared for good, it feels as if the wall of his home will break with the secrets that are being held within.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,121,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible