Uma Casa na Campina by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Uma Casa na Campina (original 1935; edition 1877)

by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Member:JCamilo
Title:Uma Casa na Campina
Authors:Laura Ingalls Wilder
Info:Record
Tags:Romance

Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder (1935)

Recently added bysep780, LJKeesee, brittdawn25, private library, marlowe_explorers, Ivie6, Barrbooks, MsOConnor, SandyDawn
Legacy LibrariesRose Wilder Lane

English (170)  French (1)  All languages (171)
This series is such a delight. Each of their adventures and struggles is seen through the eyes of young Laura. I love the honesty and innocence that comes from that. I love her Pa's strength and character. Laura's parents are a team and despite their hardships, they never stop supporting and loving each other. This book covers their time in Indian country. There's a scene where they cross the river in their covered wagon that was particularly harrowing. ( )
  bookworm12 | Jun 28, 2019 |
Some years back, I picked up a copy of Willa Cather's My Antonia at a church fair book table. I figured I might try to read it. I vaguely remember that my older sister had been forced to read it in junior high and had hated the experience. Could it be all that bad a book? Nope, it was actually quite good. Also, I realized about half way through the book that it was about my grandmother and her parents. My grandmother had been a little girl on a homestead in Dakota Territory. Her parents then fled the snow and cold of Dakota in a covered wagon and ended up in Kansas, which was where I got to know my grandmother. Suffice to say, I got interested in life on the prairies back in the day. So, I read more Willa Cather. Then I discovered Oscar Micheaux, who had been an African American homesteader in Dakota.

Almost exactly two years ago, I discovered Little House in the Big Woods on one of the Gutenberg sites and re-read it. I had first read it back in the dark ages when I was in elementary school and Eisenhower was the President. Naturally, I wanted to move on to the Prairie, but none of the other Laura Ingalls Wilder books were available on Gutenberg sites, nor on my library's Overdrive site. Just recently, I discovered our library now did carry those books, so immediately put a hold on this one, Little House on the Prairie.

It's interesting to me that this book and the one that precedes it are a sort of how-to version of life back in the day: how to kill a hog; how to make soap; how to make a log cabin; how to dig a well; and so forth. The stories are rather sanitized and idealized. My spouse finds them sick-making to read these days because things are so saccharine. I didn't mind that much. I loved the lyrical descriptions of the prairie. Not only did I visit my grandmother in Kansas a number of times, but I actually lived there for two years as an adult and wrote my most famous published work while I was there. (don't ask: if you're on GoodReads, it won't be your cup of tea, unless you're a very peculiar kind of physical chemist.) So, I do love me some prairie now and again and like revisiting it occasionally, if only in literature.

Anyway, I liked this book rather well. I was appalled by the racist handling of the interactions with Indians (a.k.a. Native Americans), but the book was a product of it's time. One needs to point this out if one is reading to their children or grandchildren these days, and discuss how we need to recalibrate our thinking about other people.
  lgpiper | Jun 21, 2019 |
Join the adventures of Laura Ingalls and her family as they travel by covered wagon from the Big Woods in Wisconsin to the Kansas prairie. From hunting to planting, Laura’s pioneer family faces incredible challenges as they struggle to survive.
  mcmlsbookbutler | May 16, 2019 |
These are the books I cut my reading teeth on. Childhood treasures. ( )
  Mo_Morgan | Apr 3, 2019 |
Little House on the Prairie is a story told by Laura Ingalls who's family is moving west. They are traveling from Wisconsin to Kansas where they will build a new life. They are leaving their old home because it became too crowded. Laura tells of their struggles on the farm and their journey through Indian territory. ( )
  ally_noelle | Mar 18, 2019 |

Taula, S. S.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tholema, A.C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A long time ago, when all the grandfathers and grandmothers of today were little boys and little girls or very small babies, or perhaps not even born, Pa and Ma and Mary and Laura and Baby Carrie left their little house in the Big Woods of Wisconsin.
Wild animals would not stay in a country where there were so many people. Pa did not like to stay, either. He liked a country where the wild animals lived without being afraid. He liked to see the little fawns and their mothers looking at him from the shadowy woods, and the fat, lazy bears eating berries in the wild-berry patches.
ISBN 0064400042 is also for On the Banks of Plum Creek

The adventures continue for Laura Ingalls and her family as they leave their little house in the Big Woods of Wisconsin and set out for Kansas. They travel for many days in their covered wagon until they find the best spot to build their little house on the prairie. Soon they are planting and plowing, hunting wild ducks and turkeys, and gathering grass for their cows. Sometimes pioneer life is hard, but Laura and her folks are always busy and happy in their new little house.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:06 -0400)

A family travels from the big woods of Wisconsin to a new home on the prairie, where they build a house, meet neighboring Indians, build a well, and fight a prairie fire.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,339,176 books! | Top bar: Always visible