Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls…

Little House on the Prairie (original 1935; edition 1975)

by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Member:maritimer
Title:Little House on the Prairie
Authors:Laura Ingalls Wilder
Info:Perennial Library (1975), Edition: TX 3259, Paperback, 335 pages
Collections:Your library, 2012

Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder (1935)

Recently added bysomekramers, timknorr, ashleeeyyy88, BBBeauchamp, YawningDodo, private library, dtempleton, sncase1
Legacy LibrariesRose Wilder Lane

SO FAR SO GOOD! ( )
  Leda.Dowd | Jul 18, 2014 |
Interesting tale of prairie settlement. Quite nuanced interactions with the aboriginals (Indians), particularly given the time it was written. But ultimately the complexity of that interaction and the sometimes-strong language associated with it means this is not a good book for young children. Best to go directly from Little House in the Big Woods to On the Banks of Plum Creek. ( )
  rakerman | May 31, 2014 |
I loved this as a child and one of my parenting highlights was reading it aloud to my two children. My son didn't want to listen to a 'girl's book' but when we reached the scene where the wolves are howling outside the cabin, I noticed him peeping through the door as I read. What a childhood LIW had. Something of the expansiveness of the prairies stays with you when you've finished. Perhaps, rather depressingly, it makes you aware of how much we have lost in how we can bring up children. ( )
  eliza.graham.180 | Apr 28, 2014 |
A family travels from the big woods of Wisconsin to a new home on the prairie, where they build a house, meet neighboring Indians, build a well, and fight a fire. Includes a detailed account of how the novel was written and published.
  Megan88 | Apr 22, 2014 |
I discovered the Little House books when I was about eight years old. I remember two weeks one summer when I was confined to bed with a hard head cold, and how these stories took me away from my miseries. These were the stories that inspired me to learn and practice home preparedness: when I grew up, I learned how to make bread, cheese and vinegar; how to can and dehydrate food; how to knit, crochet and sew clothing; how to keep milk goats and rear chickens. Thank you, Laura Ingalls Wilder, for enriching my life in so many ways. ( )
  christineplouvier | Apr 20, 2014 |

Laura Ingalls Wilderprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hallqvist, Britt G.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taula, S. S.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A long time ago, when all the grandfathers and grandmothers of today were little boys and little girls or very small babies, or perhaps not even born, Pa and Ma and Mary and Laura and Baby Carrie left their little house in the Big Woods of Wisconsin.

The adventures continue for Laura Ingalls and her family as they leave their little house in the Big Woods of Wisconsin and set out for Kansas. They travel for many days in their covered wagon until they find the best spot to build their little house on the prairie. Soon they are planting and plowing, hunting wild ducks and turkeys, and gathering grass for their cows. Sometimes pioneer life is hard, but Laura and her folks are always busy and happy in their new little house.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:26 -0400)

A family travels from the big woods of Wisconsin to a new home on the prairie, where they build a house, meet neighboring Indians, sink a well, and fight a prairie fire.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,660,278 books! | Top bar: Always visible