Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls…

Little House on the Prairie (original 1935; edition 1975)

by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Member:maritimer
Title:Little House on the Prairie
Authors:Laura Ingalls Wilder
Info:Perennial Library (1975), Edition: TX 3259, Paperback, 335 pages
Collections:Your library, 2012

Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder (1935)

LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE Meet Laura Ingalls, the little girl who would grow up to write the Little House books. Pa Ingalls decides to sell the little log house, and the family sets out for Indian country! They travel from Wisconsin to Kansas, and there, finally, Pa builds their little house on the prairie. Sometimes farm life is difficult, even dangerous, but Laura and her family are kept busy and are happy with the promise of their new life on the prairie. Ages 8-12
  FriendsLibraryFL | Sep 6, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book and recently saw a Disney TV movie that follows the book more closely than the TV series did so I kind of knew what would happen. Like the first book in the series, Wilder goes in a lot of detail to describe how they did things back in the day. ( )
  eliorajoy | Aug 18, 2014 |
SO FAR SO GOOD! ( )
  Leda.Dowd | Jul 18, 2014 |
Interesting tale of prairie settlement. Quite nuanced interactions with the aboriginals (Indians), particularly given the time it was written. But ultimately the complexity of that interaction and the sometimes-strong language associated with it means this is not a good book for young children. Best to go directly from Little House in the Big Woods to On the Banks of Plum Creek. ( )
  rakerman | May 31, 2014 |
I loved this as a child and one of my parenting highlights was reading it aloud to my two children. My son didn't want to listen to a 'girl's book' but when we reached the scene where the wolves are howling outside the cabin, I noticed him peeping through the door as I read. What a childhood LIW had. Something of the expansiveness of the prairies stays with you when you've finished. Perhaps, rather depressingly, it makes you aware of how much we have lost in how we can bring up children. ( )
  eliza.graham.180 | Apr 28, 2014 |

Laura Ingalls Wilderprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hallqvist, Britt G.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taula, S. S.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A long time ago, when all the grandfathers and grandmothers of today were little boys and little girls or very small babies, or perhaps not even born, Pa and Ma and Mary and Laura and Baby Carrie left their little house in the Big Woods of Wisconsin.

The adventures continue for Laura Ingalls and her family as they leave their little house in the Big Woods of Wisconsin and set out for Kansas. They travel for many days in their covered wagon until they find the best spot to build their little house on the prairie. Soon they are planting and plowing, hunting wild ducks and turkeys, and gathering grass for their cows. Sometimes pioneer life is hard, but Laura and her folks are always busy and happy in their new little house.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:26 -0400)

A family travels from the big woods of Wisconsin to a new home on the prairie, where they build a house, meet neighboring Indians, build a well, and fight a prairie fire.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,671,148 books! | Top bar: Always visible