Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls…

Little House on the Prairie (original 1935; edition 1975)

by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Member:maritimer
Title:Little House on the Prairie
Authors:Laura Ingalls Wilder
Info:Perennial Library (1975), Edition: TX 3259, Paperback, 335 pages
Collections:Your library, 2012

Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder (1935)

English (120)  French (1)  All languages (121)
This was my second time through. I read it to my older two a few years ago, and now I have read it to my youngest. I suppose it will be my last time, unless I get a chance to read it to some grandkids at some point in the future. Great book with lots of opportunities to talk about issues such as racism, hardship, sacrifice. ( )
  memlhd | Jan 22, 2016 |
The 2nd in the Laura Ingalls Wilder series. Follow the Ingalls family as they leave the big woods of Wisconsin and make their way to the prairie of Kansas. Another delightful book with insights into the daily lives of the pioneers. We think moving is hard when we throw everything on a truck and schlepp it to the next place. Imagine life when you had to build your home from the ground up. ( )
  punxsygal | Jan 16, 2016 |
The Big Woods have gotten too crowded for Pa's taste, so the Wilder family packs up all their belongings in a covered wagon and heads west for the Kansas territory on authority that the government will be opening up the Indian lands for territory. Once their, they have to brave wolves, Indians, prarie fire, and other dangers, but they are happy on the plains in the simple house that Pa has built.

I actually didn't love this one quite as much as Little House in the Big Woods. I think that is more because instead of describing how to gather sap, churn butter, and the like, it was filled with descrpitions of how to build a house, furniture, and many long descriptions of how beautiful the prarie was. That doesn't mean I didn't like the book. I did; just not quite as much as the first. It's been a long time since I read these books as a child, and I will definitely be continuing on with the rest of the series. ( )
  Mootastic1 | Jan 15, 2016 |
The story of the Ingalls family as they leave they big woods of Wisconsin and settle in Indian Country. Even though the land isn't open for settlement Pa is convinced it soon will be so the family moves and constructs a log cabin. I liked the description of the prairie and how everything was built. I didn't like the way Native Americans were described, very prejudiced. I love this series of books but this is among my least favorite in the series. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
What I love about these books is that Wilder doesn’t completely sugarcoat life in the mid-to-late 1800s. There is plenty of hard work, danger and disappointment. The family endures many hardships including flood, fire, wild animals, disease and weather. But this is a strong family unit. Ma and Pa are steadfast, competent, hard-working, and protect their children as best they can. They are also thoughtful in answering the young Laura’s questions as she begins to understand that there are different ways to see things, and that complicated issues may have more than one “right” side. There’s also a strong sense of independence in these people. The adults are setting out for a totally new experience, and do not let hardship dissuade them. If they have to make a change to their plans, they do so with continued hope that their hard work will pay off. As Ma and Pa frequently state to their children, “All’s well that ends well.”

Cherry Jones does a great job of the narration on the audio book. She gives us a sense of adventure and excitement on the journey, with an underlying feeling of safety and security. I can’t help but delight in the joy of a simple surprise, whether it’s discovering prairie dogs, leftover beads or a special treat in a Christmas stocking.

There’s a good reason these books have endured. I highly recommend them for all ages.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |

Laura Ingalls Wilderprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hallqvist, Britt G.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taula, S. S.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A long time ago, when all the grandfathers and grandmothers of today were little boys and little girls or very small babies, or perhaps not even born, Pa and Ma and Mary and Laura and Baby Carrie left their little house in the Big Woods of Wisconsin.

The adventures continue for Laura Ingalls and her family as they leave their little house in the Big Woods of Wisconsin and set out for Kansas. They travel for many days in their covered wagon until they find the best spot to build their little house on the prairie. Soon they are planting and plowing, hunting wild ducks and turkeys, and gathering grass for their cows. Sometimes pioneer life is hard, but Laura and her folks are always busy and happy in their new little house.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:06 -0400)

A family travels from the big woods of Wisconsin to a new home on the prairie, where they build a house, meet neighboring Indians, build a well, and fight a prairie fire.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,234,733 books! | Top bar: Always visible