Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls…

Little House on the Prairie (original 1935; edition 1975)

by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Member:maritimer
Title:Little House on the Prairie
Authors:Laura Ingalls Wilder
Info:Perennial Library (1975), Edition: TX 3259, Paperback, 335 pages
Collections:Your library, 2012

Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder (1935)

A family travels from the big woods of Wisconsin to a new home on the prairie, where they build a house, meet neighboring Indians, build a well, and fight a fire. Includes a detailed account of how the novel was written and published. Ingalls wrote a series of historical fiction books for children based on her childhood growing up in a pioneer family. ( )
  foleysh | Jul 18, 2015 |
My 8 year old daughter loves these stories. ( )
  Icepacklady | Jun 3, 2015 |
Curiously, although this is the most famous of the Little House books, I have only just read it. My childhood favourite was "On the Banks of Plum Creek", and I had no idea in those childhood days that there were any more in the series. Perhaps Little House on the Prairie would not have been such a favourite if it had been the first I read; or would the plight of the Indians (and the assumption even by just and gentle Pa that they must eventually be supplanted by whites and their hunting grounds ploughed up), have had the impact on me that it does as an adult?
  PollyMoore3 | May 12, 2015 |
Summary:
This book is part of a series. It is the story of a family from the frontier days. At this time, they were moving from Wisconsin to Kansas. Back then, they did not have the vehicles we have today, so they loaded up their belongings and made the trip in a wagon with horses pulling them. They would stop, build fires, and sleep overnight along the way. They finally reach Kansas and find a prairie where they want to build their home. They begin building and planting their crops so they will have food. They do a lot of physical work and some days are really exhausting for them. But at the end of the day, they always seem to find laughter and make time for family.

Personal Reaction:
I love this story! It really makes me think about how good we have it now days. I love hearing stories like these from my family members. I also even like watching the TV show "Little House on the Prairie". It makes it easier to imagine what is really going on in the book.

Classroom Extension:
1. We could have a dress up day where the children could where their favorite frontier clothing, and also share their stories if their families have any to tell them.
2. We could also have a frontier snack day. The kids or their parents could bring their families oldest family recipe to share with the class, and we could have things such as beans and rolls also.
  Brandy9706 | Mar 24, 2015 |
A series written from the perspective of Laura Ingalls; a much loved series of books about growing up within a family which was a part of the pioneering movement of the late 19th century.
  cm37107 | Mar 8, 2015 |

Laura Ingalls Wilderprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hallqvist, Britt G.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taula, S. S.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A long time ago, when all the grandfathers and grandmothers of today were little boys and little girls or very small babies, or perhaps not even born, Pa and Ma and Mary and Laura and Baby Carrie left their little house in the Big Woods of Wisconsin.

The adventures continue for Laura Ingalls and her family as they leave their little house in the Big Woods of Wisconsin and set out for Kansas. They travel for many days in their covered wagon until they find the best spot to build their little house on the prairie. Soon they are planting and plowing, hunting wild ducks and turkeys, and gathering grass for their cows. Sometimes pioneer life is hard, but Laura and her folks are always busy and happy in their new little house.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:06 -0400)

A family travels from the big woods of Wisconsin to a new home on the prairie, where they build a house, meet neighboring Indians, build a well, and fight a prairie fire.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,403,511 books! | Top bar: Always visible