Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls…

Little House on the Prairie (original 1935; edition 1975)

by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Member:maritimer
Title:Little House on the Prairie
Authors:Laura Ingalls Wilder
Info:Perennial Library (1975), Edition: TX 3259, Paperback, 335 pages
Collections:Your library, 2012

Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder (1935)

Recently added bysarah.land, CVL, private library, Mrs.Hill, alison_pow, EscuelaSantaAna, sflores40, meganannmetcalf
Legacy LibrariesRose Wilder Lane

Curiously, although this is the most famous of the Little House books, I have only just read it. My childhood favourite was "On the Banks of Plum Creek", and I had no idea in those childhood days that there were any more in the series. Perhaps Little House on the Prairie would not have been such a favourite if it had been the first I read; or would the plight of the Indians (and the assumption even by just and gentle Pa that they must eventually be supplanted by whites and their hunting grounds ploughed up), have had the impact on me that it does as an adult?
  PollyMoore3 | May 12, 2015 |
Summary:
This book is part of a series. It is the story of a family from the frontier days. At this time, they were moving from Wisconsin to Kansas. Back then, they did not have the vehicles we have today, so they loaded up their belongings and made the trip in a wagon with horses pulling them. They would stop, build fires, and sleep overnight along the way. They finally reach Kansas and find a prairie where they want to build their home. They begin building and planting their crops so they will have food. They do a lot of physical work and some days are really exhausting for them. But at the end of the day, they always seem to find laughter and make time for family.

Personal Reaction:
I love this story! It really makes me think about how good we have it now days. I love hearing stories like these from my family members. I also even like watching the TV show "Little House on the Prairie". It makes it easier to imagine what is really going on in the book.

Classroom Extension:
1. We could have a dress up day where the children could where their favorite frontier clothing, and also share their stories if their families have any to tell them.
2. We could also have a frontier snack day. The kids or their parents could bring their families oldest family recipe to share with the class, and we could have things such as beans and rolls also.
  Brandy9706 | Mar 24, 2015 |
A series written from the perspective of Laura Ingalls; a much loved series of books about growing up within a family which was a part of the pioneering movement of the late 19th century.
  cm37107 | Mar 8, 2015 |
I've been previewing chapter books to read-aloud to my kids, and this was one that I had never actually read. While I understand some of the criticisms this gets because of racism, the relationship with Native Americans was much more nuanced than I expected. Yes, Ma is clearly racist but Pa shows some deep understanding of the Native dilemma and his own role in it. I think this book provides a great opportunity for discussion about the true history of the west. I won't read this to my kids yet, partly because I didn't realize this was the second book in the series, but mostly because I want to explore a little more Native American history with them first so we can have these discussions.

Although it is fictionalized and overly nostalgic, this is an amazing example of a living history book and deserves to be a classic. ( )
  CherieDooryard | Jan 20, 2015 |
Laura Ingalls and her family are making their way from Wisconsin to Missouri because her father has decided Wisconsin has become "too settled". The book encompasses a year in their life as they journey to their new home, build a house, begin to settle the land, meet new neighbors and have run-ins with "Indians."
The book is quite informational and realistic, even written from the child's perspective. The modern adult reader must remember, though, that the author, who is writing semi-autobiographically, grew up in a different time-period and her opinions on the "Indians" must be filtered through that lens. Parents reading this with young children should take care to have informed conversations with said children regarding the Native Americans and how the ideas expressed in this book are not necessarily still felt today.
I never read these books as a child, so I don't have any kind of nostalgia factor clouding my objectivity when it comes to this review. ( )
  EmScape | Dec 18, 2014 |

Laura Ingalls Wilderprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hallqvist, Britt G.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taula, S. S.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A long time ago, when all the grandfathers and grandmothers of today were little boys and little girls or very small babies, or perhaps not even born, Pa and Ma and Mary and Laura and Baby Carrie left their little house in the Big Woods of Wisconsin.

The adventures continue for Laura Ingalls and her family as they leave their little house in the Big Woods of Wisconsin and set out for Kansas. They travel for many days in their covered wagon until they find the best spot to build their little house on the prairie. Soon they are planting and plowing, hunting wild ducks and turkeys, and gathering grass for their cows. Sometimes pioneer life is hard, but Laura and her folks are always busy and happy in their new little house.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:26 -0400)

A family travels from the big woods of Wisconsin to a new home on the prairie, where they build a house, meet neighboring Indians, build a well, and fight a prairie fire.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,228,249 books! | Top bar: Always visible