Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls…

Little House on the Prairie (original 1935; edition 1975)

by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Title:Little House on the Prairie
Authors:Laura Ingalls Wilder
Info:Perennial Library (1975), Edition: TX 3259, Paperback, 335 pages
Collections:Your library, 2012

Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder (1935)

English (112)  French (1)  All languages (113)
This book is about a family of four who came from Wisconsin to the Oklahoma. They had to leave because it was becoming overpopulated. Ingalls Wilder's father sold their little house and made a wagon that had a cover over. They got comfortable where they were do they decided to build a little house. Not too long after the government made them move because the land they had resided on belonged to the Natives.

Personal Reaction:
I like this story a lot. it reminds me of what my mother used to preach to me, that I must not take things for granted because one day I might be without.This book had a good moral to it.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1) Have each child write about a time they may have had to move to a new town or changed schools and what was the experience like.
2) The students can do what Laura and he sister Mary did by making button strings.
  rocquel | Nov 29, 2015 |
This story which was one of a 7 book series gave a perfect depiction of life on the prairie. The Ingalls family traveled from Wisconsin to Indian territories. The family comes in contact with Native Americans and other people that traveled out West. I would use this story to emphasize the Land Rush in Oklahoma. ( )
  LizaK | Oct 28, 2015 |
Summary of book:
Little House on the Prairie is about a family who travels from Wisconsin to the Indian lands of Oklahoma. Laura Ingalls Wilder, the author, and her family had to leave the Big Woods because it was becoming overcrowded. Pa sold their little log house and built a covered wagon. When Ma, Pa, Mary, and Laura came to the prairie, Pa built a little house. As soon as they began to feel that this was home, the government made them move again, because the land belonged to the Indians.

Personal Reaction:
I like this story. It makes me appreciate the things I have today. I think it is also a great way to teach kids not to take things for granted.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1) Have the students write about a time when they had to move to a new place and what it was like.
2) The students can make button string like Laura and Mary did in the book
3) Make a time line of Laura's life. Put the children into groups and have each group working on a certain area in the story.
  connorshayne | Oct 27, 2015 |
40 months - Both O and I have really enjoyed reading this series. O can sit and listen to me read for hours at a time. We will take lunch to the park and sit in the shade and read. The descriptions of how things were den, food was prepared, what the Indians looked like are vivid, perfect for a small child with few life experiences to imagine. Can't wait to dive into the third book! ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
The "title book" of the Little House series was actually the 2nd in the set (or 3rd, depending on where you put "Farmer Boy"), and was the first destination (of several) of the Ingalls family after leaving the Big Woods of Wisconsin, settling in Kansas to farm where there are no trees, but there are Indians.
Working sun-up to sun-down makes a hard life, but the parents transmit their ideals and industry to the girls, as well as their courage and resolve.
As with all Laura's books, this is a faithful depiction of pioneer life in all its harshness and beauty, softened only a bit for young readers.
The life of the country's early settlers would be impossible in today's cosseted nanny-state, and the parents would all be in jail for child abuse just for the normal events of their lives (unsupervised free play, hard work, and strict although loving discipline).
I do not think what we have now is progress. ( )
  librisissimo | Aug 29, 2015 |

Laura Ingalls Wilderprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hallqvist, Britt G.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taula, S. S.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A long time ago, when all the grandfathers and grandmothers of today were little boys and little girls or very small babies, or perhaps not even born, Pa and Ma and Mary and Laura and Baby Carrie left their little house in the Big Woods of Wisconsin.

The adventures continue for Laura Ingalls and her family as they leave their little house in the Big Woods of Wisconsin and set out for Kansas. They travel for many days in their covered wagon until they find the best spot to build their little house on the prairie. Soon they are planting and plowing, hunting wild ducks and turkeys, and gathering grass for their cows. Sometimes pioneer life is hard, but Laura and her folks are always busy and happy in their new little house.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:06 -0400)

A family travels from the big woods of Wisconsin to a new home on the prairie, where they build a house, meet neighboring Indians, build a well, and fight a prairie fire.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,964,284 books! | Top bar: Always visible