It Worked for Me: In Life and Leadership by…

It Worked for Me: In Life and Leadership (2012)

by Colin Powell

Other authors: Tony Koltz

Fabulous! I picked this book up looking for a memoir. Almost didn't read it when I realized it was supposed to be more of a manual on leadership, but I'm so glad that I did. Colin Powell is an inspiring figure in today's rancid atmosphere surrounding Washington and his book is a breath of fresh air. If I ever have the opportunity to hear him speak, I will.

Read it. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
Colin Powell is one of America's more popular elder statesmen. At one point, after Dessert Storm, it was thought he could become the first African-American president, but he chose not to run. After retirement from government service Powell had many career opportunities and settled on public speaking, writing, and some non-profit charitable work. It Worked for Me is a compendium of advice on leadership, the forces that shaped Powell (mostly people, starting with his family, a Jewish sporting goods shop keeper who employed him as a teenager, a high school English teacher, and various mentors in the military, as well as those soldiers he commanded). Powell's voice is folksy, kindly yet stern, and compassionate. You get a greater understanding of the man behind the uniform, a father and a devoted husband of 50 years. The book is filled with sound advice to guide one's career and life, told by someone you wish you could know more personally. ( )
  OccassionalRead | Mar 2, 2014 |

first half or so, true to the title. second half, more memoir than leadership lessons. ( )
  robynsc | Sep 2, 2013 |
Solid "leadership 101" anecdotes. ( )
  sprite | May 1, 2013 |
A fantastic book by a person I admire ( )
  pprabhu | Mar 8, 2013 |

Colin Powellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Koltz, Tonysecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0062135120, Hardcover)

A Note from Colin Powell on It Worked for Me

I love stories. In the course of my career I gathered a number of them that mean a lot to me. Most come from my military life. I was in the military from age seventeen as an ROTC cadet until I was a retired GI at age fifty-six. Others came from my service as Secretary of State and as National Security Advisor. Yet others came to me as I wandered through life. In this book I want to share with you a selection of these stories as well as experiences that have stayed with me over the years. Each one of them taught me something important about life and leadership. Some of the stories deal with serious aspects of my life, including some of the controversial issues I was involved in during my tenure as Secretary of State. There are also humorous stories from my life as well. I offer them to you for whatever use you may wish to make of them.

The first part of It Worked for Me explains my Thirteen Rules, which have been bouncing around since they were first published in Magazine over twenty years ago. These are rules that I have gathered over the years and to which I’ve adhered in my career.

CLP's Thirteen Rules:

It ain't as bad as you think. It will look better in the morning. Get mad, then get over it. Avoid having your ego so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego goes with it. It can be done! Be careful what you choose. You may get it. Don't let adverse facts stand in the way of a good decision. You can't make someone else's choices. You shouldn't let someone else make yours. Check small things. Share credit. Remain calm. Be kind. Have a vision. Be demanding. Don't take counsel of your fears or naysayers. Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.

The rest of the book focuses on everything from the importance of really knowing who you are and how to always be yourself to why I put an emphasis on knowing and taking care of others, especially those who are your followers. I go into my experience in the exploding digital realm that has reshaped the world and our lives. I talk about how to be a great manager and a great leader. I give no conclusions or recommendations, just my observations. The chapters are free-standing. You can read them straight through or jump in anywhere. Everyone has life lessons and stories. These are mine. All I can say is that they worked for me. --Colin Powell

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:52 -0400)

Colin Powell, one of America's most admired public figures, reveals the principles that have shaped his life and career in this inspiring and engrossing memoir.

58 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,241,089 books! | Top bar: Always visible