Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Service: A Navy SEAL at War

by Marcus Luttrell

Other authors: James D. Hornfischer

The author, a Navy SEAL, returned from his star-crossed mission in Afghanistan with his bones shattered and his heart broken. So many had given their lives to save him, and he would have readily done the same for them. As he recuperated, he wondered why he and others, from America's founding to today, had been willing to sacrifice everything, including themselves, for the sake of family, nation, and freedom. In this book, we follow the author to Iraq, where he returns to the battlefield as a member of SEAL Team 5 to help take on the most dangerous city in the world, Ramadi, the capital of war-torn Al Anbar Province. There, in six months of high-intensity urban combat, he would be part of what has been called the greatest victory in the history of U.S. Special Operations forces. We also return to Afghanistan and Operation Redwing, where he offers powerful new details about his miraculous rescue. Throughout, he reflects on what it really means to take on a higher calling, about the men he's seen lose their lives for their country, and the legacy of those who came and bled before.… (more)

Another book that everyone should read!!! Not because it's good but because it provides a warning to us all and if we don't listen, we're in for a hard fall someday.

It's too bad there aren't many ex-SEAL authors who can separate the missions and training and all the really cool stuff of being a SEAL and/or Armed Forces Serviceperson with the polarizing hype of their training..."We're #1, GO USA, We're the best!". Like Chris Kyle's books, this book is simply dripping one with dimensional god-county-family lovin' "dudes" that don't understand that there's a whole world out there with different ideas and different attitudes. And this book, perhaps more that Kyles, shows how much veterans need mental health care and training when they come back. For example, Luttrell tells of a story where 4 "bad guys" shot his dog and he chasing them and going to kill them. Lucky for those bad guys that the cops caught them before Luttrell got to them because, why, he'd let them have the baseball bat and a gun, and he was still gonna kill them!. Yup, lucky them, because Luttrell doesn't have the presence of mind to know that he's in the United States, not Iraq or Afghanistan. And another story of how he and his buddies are driving over 90mph and, yes, the cops catch up but then give them escort instead of tickets. This is book is a good warning - when instill attitudes like this in and give guns to young men and tell them "they're the best", we buil d the divisive smoke screens of "good" and "evil" and it's ok to eradicate anyone we think is evil. One of the most telling lines in this book as when Luttrell comments that the "other guys" seem to forget that when you go up against the US of A, you *will lose*. Totallydsqw32

Even with all the cringe inducing American, the stories of his training and activities are a kick to read, so I recommend the book for its action stories. If you're a True Amurrican, this book is for you. ( )
  marshapetry | Jan 2, 2016 |

Marcus Luttrellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hornfischer, James D.secondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,546,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible