The Nose Knows: A Spunky Mystery by Holly L.…

The Nose Knows: A Spunky Mystery (edition 2012)

by Holly L. Lewitas

841,035,133 (4.5)None
Member:sewolf0310
Title:The Nose Knows: A Spunky Mystery
Authors:Holly L. Lewitas
Info:Wheatmark (2012), Paperback, 358 pages
Collections:Read and owned, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:humor, relationship, friendship, suspense, mystery, adventure

The Nose Knows: A Spunky Mystery by Holly L. Lewitas

The story of Dr. Hannah Richards, a psychotherapist, as seen through the eyes of her dog, Spunky. Spunky and the cats of the house take care of Hannah, a widow whose husband died unexpectedly, or at least unexpectedly for a human, or as Spunky put it, passed over the “Rainbow Bridge”. Spunky and the cats, however, have great senses, especially smell. They knew her husband was dying. Unfortunately, Hannah did not.

Hannah had a traumatic event while she was in a counseling session, and it caused her a great amount of fear. Years of shutting out the world took quite a bit of work for Jacob and his dog, Quincy. The friendship and support became a strength for Hannah, until another session caused trouble for not only her, but her patients as well.

Anyone who has dogs and/or cats can relate with how Spunky tells the story. You can imagine the conversations between animals, their plotting, their love, their guardianship, their moves and their actions. You’ll also learn how each of the animals came to a part of the household, Hannah’s kindness, love and concern for others.

Humor with a bit of sympathy for Hannah for her emotions of the death of her husband and her fear of going back to work in an office with her patients. You’ll laugh with the animals and feel for Hannah and her patients. You’ll turn the pages helping solve who is this mysterious man and why is he bothering Hannah and her patients. Your inner voice will arise. ( )
  sewolf0310 | Nov 10, 2012 |
I must preface this review by saying, "I love dogs!" and I think that is the only reason I slogged through the first few chapters until I got to the good parts. I hope that the author used, what I considered, boringly simple sentences to convey the sense of the canine narrator in the beginning; I sincerely hope so. Too much telling and not enough showing also contributed to this rough start.

Once the action started, where the book really began for me, it was a very pleasant and compelling read. I always balk when therapy is mentioned in a novel because I've spent many years with many different therapists and have difficulty "suspending my disbelief" if the subject isn't handled in an intelligent manner. But the characters were at least believable even at times when I didn't think they were developed enough.

I will recommend this book to my "dog mystery" friends as a worthwhile read but not necessarily to those who are hard-core mystery readers. ( )
  tehanu | Jun 2, 2012 |
This mystery is told from the point of view of Spunky, a terrier mix who despite her advancing age, lives up to her name. I was initially worried this would be too cheesy, but Spunky's unique point of view complements the story in a delightful way. The big mystery doesn't really start 'till halfway through the book, but the lead up as Spunky and the cats of the family do their best to meddle in their Mom's life and practice as a psychologist in a benevolent way is utterly charming. Lots of thoughts about animal and human minds. This is a fun read for pet lovers, a decent mystery, and a book I'll definitely be recommending to friends.

[Note: This book was received as part of a members giveaway in exchange for a review.] ( )
  terriko | May 9, 2012 |
(Disclaimer: Received this book via the Member Giveaway for review)

Delightful! I wondered at first if the book would end up a bit too young adult for me. No need to worry about that. It's a great book that I thoroughly enjoyed. For pet lovers or just anyone, it's an easy read that still keeps you working at the mystery involving the protagonists; Spunky, her 4 cat friends, and her human 'mom'.
A heartwarming story about human & pet companion relationships with a good dose of suspense and action. None of the writing style attempted to 'dumb down' the pets' dialogue with each other or their subtle communication with the humans in their lives.
I personally always enjoyed "The Cat Who..." series, but I'm eagerly awaiting the next book in this series, I've already titled it "The Dog Who..." in my head.
I believe this is the author's first book, but I detected no first book jitters in this piece or inability to keep the action and inter-relationships moving along smoothly.
Toward the end I was very pleased that I took a chance on the book and was rewarded with a pleasant read that kept me turning pages to see what the animals would do next and how they would save the day and their human 'mom'. There was just the right amount of action/suspense that made this a good mystery book, not a dog/cat/pet feel-good piece of fluff, to the contrary.
Readers out there, check this book out and I'm sure you'll enjoy it also. ( )
  wolfjack | May 7, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,972,065 books! | Top bar: Always visible