Destiny Kills by S. D. Tooley

Destiny Kills

by S. D. Tooley

The 6th entry in the Sam Casey series may be the best - a good, solid mystery with interesting and well-developed characters, sufficiently complicated but believable plotting, a touch of the paranormal, and just the right amount of humor.

A former cop with a special but somewhat undefined ability to receive information from the dead, Sam Casey is called in when a seemingly happy wife and new mother suddenly abandons her child and jumps from an overpass to her death. Though a new mother herself, Sam thankfully hasn't become an annoying baby-obsessed, frazzled woman - a fate that has befallen many a series character in the past few years. She remains an intrepid but smart investigator. Like Sam's life, Tooley's writing has great balance, combining elements of paranormal, psychological, police procedural, romance, forensic science, and humor with a credible, but not predictable, resolution.

S.D. Tooley's writing contains little fluff - conversations, actions, and descriptions have a purpose, whether it be to further the plot, round out a character, or entertain the reader. The result is a quickly-moving, intelligent entry in a series that should be more widely appreciated. ( )
  bookappeal | Jan 26, 2013 |
Destiny Kills is my introduction to Sam Casey and I must say that I really enjoyed it. What really made the story work for me is the blend of mystery to solve, working through threads and interconnections and how Sam juggles that with her everyday life.

While there is a certain formulaic feel to some elements (typical rich guy with friends at City Hall, etc.), it doesn't detract (at least it didn't for me) from the overall storyline and I will certainly go back and, pardon the pun, investigate the other books in the series and look forward to future books from S. D. Tooley. ( )
  strogan | Aug 22, 2012 |
(Disclaimer: Received book through Member Giveaway program)

I greatly enjoyed this book. It kept the action going and I was taken by surprise in the end when the perpetrator was revealed. I think it was a nice blend of mystery/crime and had a dash of paranormal that didn't overshadow everything and make it into a supernatural type book.

The style of writing didn't come across as very heavy on unnecessary blood and suffering; no gory scene descriptions or punch by punch knock-down drag-out fights lasting a chapter. Nor did the touch of paranormal push out everything else and become a fantasy book.

I thought the main characters had just the right amount of development without making the book into a one- or two-character and no one else matters novel.

I will definitely try and find the rest of the Sam Casey series to check out after such a good result with this, the sixth book. If you like light mystery and a dash of paranormal, you should enjoy this book as much as I did. ( )
  wolfjack | Jun 17, 2012 |
Forensic specialists may say that the dead speak to them, but in the case of Samantha Casey, ex-cop, wife and mother, the dead really do speak to her. Blessed with a gift, although some may say cursed, she is able to sense things that most people can’t. A distraught husband comes to her for answers that only she can find. The police have ruled the wife’s death a suicide – something the husband cannot accept. Sam’s quest for the truth leads to her to other strange deaths, and in finding the connecting thread, she endangers her own well-being. S. D. Tooley’s latest installment in this marvelous series will capture your interest and pull you into the story from page one. With well-developed and likable continuing characters, an intricate plot, and surprising twists along the way, this combination of logical police work with illogical paranormal research is bound to entertain mystery readers as well as those who just like a good story. You don’t have to read the other books in the series to enjoy this one, but you will surely want to. Highly recommended. ( )
  Maydacat | May 23, 2012 |
Unique plot with several suspects from which to choose. Moves along quickly. This was my first read of this author and I will seek out more. ( )
  ewhatley | May 19, 2012 |

One week before her wedding a young woman strips, takes the time to fold her clothes, then calmly walks into Lake Michigan. When Sam Casey is asked to look into the death of a young mother who left her infant in a high chair, walked down the street and jumped off the overpass, Sam finds a strange similarity-they each received a phone call just prior to committing suicide. Both calls were from disposable phones and both calls lasted four seconds. Were these really suicides or something more sinister? To complicate matters, Sam's husband, Jake Mitchell, is working the case of a woman whose body was found near a golf course. But when Sam touches the purse strap used to strangle the woman, she hears the same word she connected to the two suicides-destiny. Sam is an investigative consultant for the Chasen Heights Police Department. When others deal in logic, Sam deals in the illogic. She has an advantage over other cops. The dead speak to her, tell her secrets about their life and death. But sometimes what she learns can get her killed.… (more)

S. D. Tooley is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,343,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible