Little town on the prairie by Laura Ingalls…

Little town on the prairie (original 1941; edition 2004)

by Laura Ingalls Wilder, Garth Williams (Illustrator)

Member:rockinlibrarian
Title:Little town on the prairie
Authors:Laura Ingalls Wilder
Other authors:Garth Williams (Illustrator)
Info:New York, NY : Harper Trophy, 2004.
Rating:***
Tags:classic, historical fiction

Little Town on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder (1941)

Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink (Anonymous user)

English (53)  French (1)  All languages (54)
Another wonderful book in this series! ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |
Not much excitement in this one. Laura works, the town grows, and Almanzo Wilder comes around a bit more. The story does give the reader a good taste of life back then, along with the racism, and that held some interest. But not enough for me to rate it higher. Maybe I'm just getting played out with the Ingalls family. Not sure. But I will begin book 8 soon with my daughter, and I do appreciate the bond we are sharing over Laura's story. And the book did end on a high note! AND, they didn't move!!! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Apr 29, 2018 |
The town of DeSmet survived the long, hard winter, and spring has arrived. Laura gets her first job, as a seamstress, in town, and starts earning money to send Mary to the college for the blind in Iowa. She's a dedicate gal, for sure. This money is enough to send Mary off in the fall. I have no idea what it cost back then, but I'm sure it was a bit out of Pa's reach. Very nice that they figured out a way to send her. Say what you will, the Ingalls family is from hearty stock and they find a way to get it all done.

And romance is in the air! Laura is a grown up now, all of fifteen years old, and Almanzo squires her home from church. She's a bit clueless to his affections, but she walks home with him anyway. And at the end of it all, Laura gets her teaching certificate and her first school. 3.5 stars because I'm a sucker for a G-rated romance. ( )
  GovMarley | Aug 6, 2017 |
This is a classic "Little Town on the Prairie" is about life in the 1940's in South Dakota. This series is about a family living in that time period, and each book is about something happening in their life that they have to overcome or learn from. This story is about the oldest daughter Laura is getting a job with her pa sewing for the new people in town, this is a chance to get their family business booming. Laura has to make a big decision to grow up.
I love all of Laura Ingalls Wilder books they are filled with great messages for young readers to enjoy. I like how the author describes the time period and makes the reader really feel like they are in the story. This helps readers learn how life was in the 1940's and what it meant to be a teen in that time period.
In the classroom, students can write a story about a character in the book and they can come up with what their characteristics are and what they do. This will help students learn about the time period, by having to do research on the 1940's. Another activity, is students can learn how to make butter the old fashion way as a science component.
  Courtjl | Apr 20, 2017 |
Katie
  LoBiancoBuzzard | Apr 4, 2017 |

Laura Ingalls Wilderprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jones, CherryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
One evening at supper, Pa asked, "How would you like to work in town, Laura?"

The little settlement that weathered the long, hard winter of 1880-81 is now a growing town. Laura is growing up, and she goes to her first evening social. Mary is at last able to go to a college for the blind. Best of all, Almanzo Wilder asks permission to walk home from church with Laura. And Laura, now fifteen years old, receives her certificate to teach school.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:09 -0400)

Pa's homestead thrives, Laura gets her first job in town, blackbirds eat the corn and oats crops, Mary goes to college, and Laura gets into trouble at school, but becomes a certified school teacher.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,186,483 books! | Top bar: Always visible