Red Country by Joe Abercrombie
Authors:Joe Abercrombie
Info:Orbit (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 464 pages
Collections:2012

Red Country by Joe Abercrombie

The Incorruptibles by John Hornor Jacobs (DemetriosX)
    DemetriosX: Both books apply western tropes to a fantasy setting (as opposed to weird westerns which apply fantasy elements to tales of the Old West). Both also have strong elements of grimdark. The Incorruptibles has more magic, while Red Country is more cinematic.

English (18)  Italian (1)  All languages (19)
What started as a slow western style track-down-the-kidnapper/murders story turned into classic Abercrombie, and I am glad it went that way. Ultimately a story of people accepting who they actually are, there were many similarities to stories already out there. Jedi stealing of babies, stealing a crap-ton of gold, misunderstood group of people slaughtered out of fear, etc. All in all the second half more than makes up for the slowish pace of the first half. Although on second thought the first half was not exactly slow, but how interesting can it be to cross a vast dry plain from the near country to the far?

Characters were good...some from the past, lots of new. Had to dig through my head to remember all of the friendly faces that were mentioned, but it is nice that everything comes back around.

Best part is that the book ends in a perfect way to set up a follow on to this story or a completely new stand alone in any of the previous or new areas of the world.

Top notch just like all the other Abercrombie novels out there. ( )
  T4NK | Sep 30, 2014 |
I really enjoyed the path this novel took. I enjoyed the familiar characters being put to interesting uses in a new genre. (Abercrombie writes fantasy adventure novels, but Red Country tips its hat to the Western genre, The Searchers in particular.) I enjoyed looking back after the closing chapter to think about the character tropes the familiar characters employed; Shivers as The Man with No Name was especially good.

I also enjoyed the return of The Bloody Nine and the view that this character gives of violence. Through Logan, I think Abercrombie is telling us something important about violence. It isn't just a deus ex machina solution to plot problems. Violence has a cost greater than its reward. Abercromie has grown a lot as a writer, and I think I'm finally seeing what he meant Logan to be all along. He's not a tragic hero (The Heroes explained this) he's more of a comment on the whole genre. When violence is used to achieve a goal, it turns that goal to mud.

I'm hoping Abercrombie does something new next. The first three books were really good, the next three were something better, but I think I'd like to read him try something with a different setting. Somewhere where there is a stable middle to contrast with his characters that live on the edges. ( )
  nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |
Usually like Abercrombie. Some really good sections but the pacing really got to me. There are long streches where nothing seems to be going on. ( )
  kaipakartik | Jun 27, 2014 |
Having read everything Abercrombie has written so far, I found myself slightly disappointed by this one. The characters are often doing repeats of previous performances, and the story does not engage in the same way his first trilogy did. It's not bad, and some of the dialogue is up their with the best he has written. The fantasy/western mash-up works well, and the grit is heavy in this book. Still, it lacks memorability and it's ultimately just okay. ( )
  StigE | Feb 22, 2014 |
If someone had described the overall story to me I probably wouldn't have been interested in reading this one. After a hard day at the market a young woman and her stepfather return to find their farm burned to the ground, her brother and sister missing and the farmhand hanging from a tree. Then they go off on a long quest to find the missing children. Ho-hum. And all of this in a western-style setting, complete with wagon trains, savages and a gold-mining town in the “far country”. A fantasy western? Really?

However, this is Joe Abercrombie, and our favorite anti-hero makes a comeback! Reasons enough to have a look! And I am pleased that I did. Essentially this is a snapshot of another episode in the life of a much older Logen and Red Country turned out to be, in true Abercrombie fashion, another very gritty story, but also a very engaging and very witty one. The black humour and quotable lines, especially from another favorite returning character, loveable and despicable mercenary-villain, Nicomo Cosca, are just superb. And although a stand-alone novel, ideally this should be read after the First Law trilogy, it will make the enjoyment of Red Country and the comeback of Logen aka "The Bloody Nine" so much more satisfying. I listened to the audio version of Red Country, which must be one of the best audio productions I have ever listened to, a fantastic performance by the narrator Steven Pacey who did a brilliant job of bringing Logen to life. I found myself driving home the long way around, and taking long weekend walks just to listen to more of this great story and performance. I highly recommend listening to the audiobook. ( )
  TillyTenchwiggle | Sep 26, 2013 |
For Teddy
And Clint Eastwood
But since Clint probably ain't that bothered
Mostly Teddy
'Gold.' Wist made the word sound like a mystery there was no solving. 'Makes men mad.'

A New York Times bestseller!

They burned her home.
They stole her brother and sister.
But vengeance is following.

Shy South hoped to bury her bloody past and ride away smiling, but she'll have to sharpen up some bad old ways to get her family back, and she's not a woman to flinch from what needs doing. She sets off in pursuit with only a pair of oxen and her cowardly old step father Lamb for company. But it turns out Lamb's buried a bloody past of his own. And out in the lawless Far Country the past never stays buried.

Their journey will take them across the barren plains to a frontier town gripped by gold fever, through feud, duel and massacre, high into the unmapped mountains to a reckoning with the Ghosts. Even worse, it will force them into alliance with Nicomo Cosca, infamous soldier of fortune, and his feckless lawyer Temple, two men no one should ever have to trust . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:41 -0400)

With her cowardly step father for company, Shy South journeys into the lawless Far Country, reckoning with the Ghosts and being forced into an alliance with the infamous soldier of fortune Nicomo Cosca, with one purpose in mind: to get her family back.… (more)

85 wanted4 pay2 pay

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,304,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible