Red Country by Joe Abercrombie

Red Country (edition 2012)

by Joe Abercrombie

Member:GhostWriter57
Title:Red Country
Authors:Joe Abercrombie
Info:Orbit (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 464 pages
Collections:2012

Red Country by Joe Abercrombie

Recently added bymdwyerfoo, Thunem, MrClub, jfphelps, PatrickMcMurray, saltmanz, bash0110, private library, sixman, k.leine
    The Incorruptibles by John Hornor Jacobs (DemetriosX)
    DemetriosX: Both books apply western tropes to a fantasy setting (as opposed to weird westerns which apply fantasy elements to tales of the Old West). Both also have strong elements of grimdark. The Incorruptibles has more magic, while Red Country is more cinematic.

English (23)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All (25)

Ninefingers aka Logen is back...

And Abercrombie can surely write wonderful prose. He can create memorable characters but his strongest suit is his dialogue and writing copious amounts of black humor.

Where "The Heroes" was a war story, this is a western saga (John Ford et al on a rampage..., and splices it(whorehouses, tribal raiders, gold prospectors and all), into his First Law setting.

Oh, and what bloodshed there is! I would say this book has the lowest body count of any Abercrombie novel to date, but it’s not the quantity that counts, but the quality.

I won’t remember this as my favourite of his novels, but no problem, as far I'm concerned. This is still a fantastic read, and a unique one at that. This is the sort of book that makes you want to re-read the previous titles to see if there is anything you missed, especially "The Heroes".

Abercrombie not at his best is still the best thing going fantasy-wise (I can only place George R. R. Martin in the same league)." ( )
  antao | Dec 10, 2016 |
My favorite Abercrombie book to date! I would recommend reading the First Law Trilogy before Red Country. I don't think Lamb's character could be fully understood or appreciated without that background. I don't know what else to say other than Great Book!! ( )
  Amanda105 | Sep 5, 2016 |
Red Country by Joe Abercrombie I can't say enough about Joe Abercrombie's storytelling skills. I love how his characters struggle with their flaws, fighting--but usually failing--to overcome their inherent weaknesses. Red Country reminds me a bit of an Elmore Leonard western, with an enigmatic troupe trudging through the wilderness in search of their elusive goals. Red County also features a satisfying return of a favorite Abercrombie character, although I won't spoil it with any hints, this book is as gripping as any. Action-packed, witty, sarcastic, relevant, poignant, and fun, Red Country is fantastic. ( )
  CMSkiera | Jan 26, 2016 |
Fun ( )
  mgriel | Jan 18, 2016 |
It's far bloodier than the others. Perhaps due to the plot. It's not a straight up revenge novel like the previous two, or a bit of a war saga, like the first three. This book is a bit more of a stand alone novel, but you benefit quite a bit by having read the other five books first.

Still, overall it seems like a quieter novel by the end. ( )
  Schlyne | Nov 12, 2015 |
For Teddy
And Clint Eastwood
But since Clint probably ain't that bothered
Mostly Teddy
'Gold.' Wist made the word sound like a mystery there was no solving. 'Makes men mad.'

A New York Times bestseller!

They burned her home.
They stole her brother and sister.
But vengeance is following.

Shy South hoped to bury her bloody past and ride away smiling, but she'll have to sharpen up some bad old ways to get her family back, and she's not a woman to flinch from what needs doing. She sets off in pursuit with only a pair of oxen and her cowardly old step father Lamb for company. But it turns out Lamb's buried a bloody past of his own. And out in the lawless Far Country the past never stays buried.

Their journey will take them across the barren plains to a frontier town gripped by gold fever, through feud, duel and massacre, high into the unmapped mountains to a reckoning with the Ghosts. Even worse, it will force them into alliance with Nicomo Cosca, infamous soldier of fortune, and his feckless lawyer Temple, two men no one should ever have to trust . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:35 -0400)

With her cowardly step father for company, Shy South journeys into the lawless Far Country, reckoning with the Ghosts and being forced into an alliance with the infamous soldier of fortune Nicomo Cosca, with one purpose in mind: to get her family back.… (more)

130 wanted4 pay2 pay

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,833,883 books! | Top bar: Always visible