Red Country by Joe Abercrombie

Red Country (edition 2012)

by Joe Abercrombie

Member:semanticdrifter
Title:Red Country
Authors:Joe Abercrombie
Info:Orbit (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 464 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fantasy, western, novels, fiction

Red Country by Joe Abercrombie

The Incorruptibles by John Hornor Jacobs (DemetriosX)
    DemetriosX: Both books apply western tropes to a fantasy setting (as opposed to weird westerns which apply fantasy elements to tales of the Old West). Both also have strong elements of grimdark. The Incorruptibles has more magic, while Red Country is more cinematic.

English (30)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (32)
Very enjoyable new book from Joe Abercrombie. As usual sharp dialogues, no magic but gritty characters. The Western idea works quite well.
Also as usual I think the author isn't very strong on plots. There is no overly interesting story told. But overall I enjoyed the book and will read the author's next book. ( )
  morusss | Jan 23, 2019 |
Best Abercrombie book I've read so far, with the exception of one scene in "The blade itself". The only sad part is that after waiting forever for it to come out I read it in two days, couldn't put it down. ( )
  jeromiemolina | Nov 15, 2018 |
Book Review – Red Country by Joe Abercrombie
Red Country by Joe Abercrombie follows Shy South and her ‘father’ Lamb across wild country in search of kidnapped family.

The Bad Stuff: For me, this book was somewhat different from the others I’ve read by Joe. This one had a real western feel to it, which will be pleasing to some, but I would have preferred something more in line with his previous works in this world. I also didn’t connect to the main character as well in this novel as I have to his past protagonists.

The Good Stuff: There is everything I have come to expect from a Joe Abercrombie book, right here in this novel - Blood, gore and treachery a-plenty, well developed characters and a great yarn. We see some of his old, well-loved characters like Cosca, Shivers and the Bloody Nine. I love Logen Nine Fingers and I would have liked to have seen more of him, but he does play more than a cameo role in this story and that kept my appetite sated. The characters, are in line with Joe’s style, they are hard cases you love and hate all the same. They have a visible character arc through the story and come out changed characters at the end.

This one gets a menacing, sunken eyed, evil grin with 4 out of 5 golden bookmarks.
  AWA1 | Sep 24, 2018 |
I know a lot of people will argue the point with me but for my money Joe Abercrombie is writing the best fantasy out there right now. His books are always gripping. His pace is fast and furious. He is able to make you genuinely care about people in a world of horror. I love that every book is set in the same world but he now makes each novel a complete little nugget on its own.

I won't go into major plot points because I don't want to spoil anything but several old familiar characters appear. Some have their stories end while others spin off in a new direction. I know he will be leaving this world for a little while and I am okay with that but the ending leaves me with great expectations when he decides to return. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
My first Abercrombie novel. ( )
  JayKale | Mar 3, 2018 |
For Teddy
And Clint Eastwood
But since Clint probably ain't that bothered
Mostly Teddy
'Gold.' Wist made the word sound like a mystery there was no solving. 'Makes men mad.'

A New York Times bestseller!

They burned her home.
They stole her brother and sister.
But vengeance is following.

Shy South hoped to bury her bloody past and ride away smiling, but she'll have to sharpen up some bad old ways to get her family back, and she's not a woman to flinch from what needs doing. She sets off in pursuit with only a pair of oxen and her cowardly old step father Lamb for company. But it turns out Lamb's buried a bloody past of his own. And out in the lawless Far Country the past never stays buried.

Their journey will take them across the barren plains to a frontier town gripped by gold fever, through feud, duel and massacre, high into the unmapped mountains to a reckoning with the Ghosts. Even worse, it will force them into alliance with Nicomo Cosca, infamous soldier of fortune, and his feckless lawyer Temple, two men no one should ever have to trust . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:35 -0400)

With her cowardly step father for company, Shy South journeys into the lawless Far Country, reckoning with the Ghosts and being forced into an alliance with the infamous soldier of fortune Nicomo Cosca, with one purpose in mind: to get her family back.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,794,184 books! | Top bar: Always visible