My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

My Sister's Keeper (2004)

by Jodi Picoult

16,727607106 (4)1 / 363
    Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult (AllieAldy)
    AllieAldy: Another phenomenal book by Jodi Picoult, draws you in and is as suspenseful as My Sister's Keeper.
    Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult (kiwiflowa)
    The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson (_Zoe_)
    The Spare Room by Helen Garner (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult may be paired with The Spare Room by Helen Garner.
    While My Sister Sleeps by Barbara Delinsky (dara85)
    dara85: Both books are about sisters and their love/hate relationships. One sister is faced with a life threating situation.
    Five Flavors of Dumb by Antony John (kaledrina)
    The Dive from Clausen's Pier by Ann Packer (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Like My Sister's Keeper, The Dive from Clausen's Pier is a provocative novel that asks a difficult, complex question -- what responsibility do we have to ourselves and to those we love?
    The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These two novels share similar subject matter (the use of individuals expressly for the donation of organs). However, The Unit is set in a dystopian near-future while My Sister's Keeper is strictly contemporary.
    The Client by John Grisham (ShannonMDE)
    ShannonMDE: I think My Sister's Keeper had the feel of early John Grisham back when he wrote about people instead of corporations.
    Midwives by Chris Bohjalian (CasualFriday)
    Pieces of My Sister's Life by Elizabeth Joy Arnold (SaraAllison)
    Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson (corneggs)
    72 Hour Hold by Bebe Moore Campbell (howelson)
    howelson: Bebe Moore Campbell explores another medical issue affecting family, bipolar disorder.
    The Things That Keep Us Here by Carla Buckley (_Zoe_)
    How Do You Say Goodbye by Pam Logan (MichelleRuda)
    MichelleRuda: Another one of those books that sucks you in and makes you cry. I love it!
    Perfect by Natasha Friend (BookLover07)
    BookLover07: The book, " Perfect" by Natasha Friend, is such an eye catching book about a 13 year old who is over-whelmed with her body, that she pressures herself to throw up, to make her look thinner. Just when you think that was shocking, read on what happens next (:… (more)

English (594)  German (5)  Lithuanian (3)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (604)
This is not an easy, light read. The story is about Anna, a girl conceived as a bone marrow (etc.) match for her sister who is suffering from leukemia. A provocative, researched novel that deals with a controversial issue – a “designer baby” - who rebels at age thirteen. The characters are well drawn but the novel sags in the middle and I found myself skimming to the bitter>sweet end.

(So many Goodread readers panned this novel that I thought "Why did they keep reading"? If I can't give a book more than one star it means I don't want to finish it. I close it and it won't ever get a review from me. End of story.) ( )
  CindaMac | Mar 26, 2017 |
OMG! This was the saddest book I have ever read in my life. Jodi Picoult had me going from the prologue. The main character was supposed to be Anna but running throughout the novel it is her sister, Kate who is the driving force. I don't know what to write that wouldn't ruin the book for other readers. I suppose the best thing I can say is that this book will grab you, make you choose a side and decide, as the characters do that there is no clear-cut answer to life's questions and that if you choose the right side you could very easily still lose. But I didn't lose in reading this book, though I cried buckets I feel I come away with a richer understanding of my beliefs and a greater sympathy for people having to make heart-wrenching decisions such as the Fitzgerald's. ( )
  mmoj | Mar 2, 2017 |
I would of given this book a 5/5 if it wasn't for the ending.
I saw the movie and it put me into tears, because I thought it was unfair. This was the case up until I read the book.
I don't think I've ever been so furious about the ending of a book. The whole story is about two sisters, one who is sick with leukemia (Kate), and another who is just there to supply what Kate needs(Anna). Anna is tired of being a supplier for Kate's body, because that was the only reason she was born, due to Kate's rare blood type. She files a lawsuit against her own parents, hoping to gain medical emancipation, which where her lawyer comes in. The whole books focuses on the family and all of their struggles, even outside the world of Kate's sickness.
I won't spoil the ending, but if you're anything like me, you'll need an entire box of tissues to get through the end of this book.
I absolutely recommend this book to those who love to read. Good luck! ( )
  alwaysgothope2018 | Feb 17, 2017 |
Let me begin by writing that this book is utter trash! Any sensitive person would be disgusted with it. I had heard a lot about the book. However, I got a chance to first see the movie 2 weeks before i read it. And, when the movie moved me so much that i was in tears throughout the 2 hours, the book was merely torture. Atleast the movie had an alternate ending and is sensitive in its approach too. The book on the other hand sucks to a large extent. Picoult's writing has major faults. She horribly merges a cancer stricken girl with a druggie, neglected brother who's into vandalism and a petri-dish designed younger sister with parents who are spineless. The characters dont belong. I dont understand how Picoult conceived all these characters. She's so confused. And, every chapter is lined with some wisdom gems from the author which are rather bizarre and ridiculous.

Death is always painful especially when you have to watch your loved ones succumbing and rotting every minute while you are unable to do anything. This book is a disgusting attempt and take on families who go through the agony of losing their loved ones. I just have so much of anger while writing this coz im unsure of what picoult meant by the book! Why did she write it? What was she thinking when she chose to write My sister’s Keeper? It beats me everytime i try to think of any rational reason of the author’s need to write about a topic as this and then give it an end even more twisted than perhaps anyone can imagine. Worst Fiction ever.

I am so concerned that we are encouraging such trash material on sensitive subjects by publishing them! This book is irritating. For once, i liked the movie version better and would like to believe i never read the book. ( )
  Sharayu_Gangurde | Jan 19, 2017 |
**spoiler alert** I loved this book. I was my first Jodi Picoult book. I have mentioned (many times teehee—I am sure many of you who know my reviews are letting out sighs of exasperation right now) that I love Greek tragedies, and therefore any story that follows loosely (even just parts) the format, I love. I’m talking about bad things happening to good people; the protagonists struggling not only with outside issues, but with inner demons; character not being perfect but having major flaws; not always being able to tell who the “bad guy” or the “good guy” is: the good characters do bad things and have ugly parts in them and the bad ones surprising you and showing the light in them, some of their actions being good/leading to good things even if it seems like they are wrong at the time; and don't even get me started on storybook endings. To quote one of my favorite movies
“Happy endings are stories that haven’t finished yet”- Mr. & Mrs Smith.

All of those things I described are basically one thing, in my opinion. Life. It isn’t perfect. The guy always doesn’t get the girl. The plane crash victims don’t always survive and wash up on an uncharted deserted island, then survive for months/years until they are randomly rescued (statistically highly improbable). The cop doesn’t take out a building full of armed men alone, barefoot with glass in his feet, and save all the hostages (although Die Hard is the best action movie ever— I don't care what anyone says).

I am not saying I dont like to read happy books where everything works out. That is fun and a really great escape. But if you are going to write a book about a tragic thing like a little girl with cancer then I think it would defeat the point of a sad story to have every work out all their issues and the girl be cured and viola life is perfect.

Which is why I love Jodi Picoult so much. She knows how to write life. She is amazing. In fact—this so rarely happens— one of her books was even too much for me and I couldn't finish it. Yes people, this is Leah “Iron Will” Murdoch talking. I was so upset after reading Wally Lamb. Not because of the reason you are thinking. It is because he has only written a few books. But then someone introduced me to Picoult. I was so happy! She is like reading an extension of him.

One thing (this isn’t about the book, exactly): I hated the changed ending in the movie. If you have read the book and seen the movie, then read my review, I am sure you can infer why. ( )
  magelet87 | Jan 18, 2017 |
This all feels like some awkward combination of a sci-fi novel and a movie on the Lifetime Channel.

Om utgivelsen :

Anna er ikke syk, men hun kunne like gjerne vært det. I løpet av sitt trettenårige liv har hun gjennomgått utallige operasjoner. Hun har nemlig blitt satt til verden for at hennes beinmarg skal redde den eldre søsteren, Kate, fra leukemien hun lider av. Men nå har Anna for første gang begynt å stille spørsmål ved hvem hun egentlig er, og hvem hun ønsker å være. Er hun noe mer enn sin søsters livredder?

For Anna tvinger det seg fram en umulig avgjørelse. En avgjørelse som skal splitte familien og som kanskje får fatale følger for Kate.

Min søsters vokter er en sterk og gripende bok om en familie som befinner seg i en uløselig situasjon. Jodi Picoult er en mester i å skrive innsiktsfullt og engasjerende om viktige moralske spørsmål, og holder leseren fanget helt til siste side er lest.

No one starts a war - or rather, no one in his sense ought to do so - without first being clear in his mind what he intends to achieve by that war and how he intends to conduct it. - Carl Von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege.
Brother, I am fire
Surging under ocean floor.
I shall never meet you, brother--
Not for years, anyhow;
Maybe thousands of years, brother.
Then I will warm you,
Hold you close, wrap you in circles,
Use you and change you--
Maybe thousands of years, brother.
---Carl Sandburg, "Kin"
My candle burns at both ends. It will not last the night. But oh my foes and oh my friends! It makes a lovely light! --Edna St. Vincent Millay "First Fig"
I will read ashes for you, if you ask me.
I will look in the fire and tell you from the gray lashes
And out of the red and black tongues and stripes,
I will tell how fire comes
And how fire runs as far as the sea.
---Carl Sandburg, "Fire Pages"
You, if you were sensible, When I tell you the stars flash signals, each one dreadful, You would not turn and answer me "The night is wonderful." --D.H. Lawrence, "Under the Oak"
To the Currans: The best family members we're not technically related to. thanks for being such a big part of our lives.
When I was little, the great mystery to me wasn't how babies were made, but why.
In my family, we seem to have a tortured history of not saying what we ought to and not meaning what we do.
[My sister] and I are Siamese twins; you just can't see the spot where we're connected. Which makes separation that much more difficult.
True love is felonious. You take someone's breath away. You rob them of the ability to utter a single word. You steal a heart. It's not a misdemeanor... once you're in, it's for life. (paraphrased)
The human capacity for burden is like bamboo-- far more flexible than you'd ever believe at first glance.
Summertime is a collective unconscious. We all remember the notes that made up the song of the ice cream man; we all know what it feels like to brand our thighs on a playground slide that's heated up like a knife ina fire; we all have lain on our backs with our eyes closed and our hearts beating across the surface of our lids, hoping that this day will stretch just a little longer than the last one, when in fact it's all going in the other direction.
This work should only be the unabridged novel of My Sister's Keeper. Please do NOT combine it with the 2009 movie of the same title that is based on this book. Thank you.

New York Times bestselling author Jodi Picoult is widely acclaimed for her keen insights into the hearts and minds of real people. Now she tells the emotionally riveting story of a family torn apart by conflicting needs and a passionate love that triumphs over human weakness.

Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate—a life and a role that she has never challenged...until now. Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister—and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable, a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves.

My Sister’s Keeper examines what it means to be a good parent, a good sister, a good person. Is it morally correct to do whatever it takes to save a child’s life, even if that means infringing upon the rights of another? Is it worth trying to discover who you really are, if that quest makes you like yourself less? Should you follow your own heart, or let others lead you? Once again, in My Sister’s Keeper, Jodi Picoult tackles a controversial real-life subject with grace, wisdom, and sensitivity.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:15 -0400)

Conceived to provide a bone marrow match for her leukemia-stricken sister, teenage Kate begins to question her moral obligations in light of countless medical procedures and decides to fight for the right to make decisions about her own body. New York Times bestselling author Jodi Picoult tells the emotionally riveting story of a family torn apart by conflicting needs and a passionate love that triumphs over human weakness. Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate -- a life and a role that she has never challenged -- until now. When their parents ask her to donate a kidney, Anna has had enough. She enlists the aid of a lawyer and announces her intention to sue for control of her own body. Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister -- and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable, a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves. My Sister's Keeper examines what it means to be a good parent, a good sister, a good person. Is it morally correct to do whatever it takes to save a child's life, even if that means infringing upon the rights of another? Is it worth trying to discover who you really are, if that quest makes you like yourself less? Should you follow your own heart, or let others lead you?… (more)

5 1980

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,273,850 books! | Top bar: Always visible