Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

My Sisters Keeper by Jodi Picoult

My Sisters Keeper (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Jodi Picoult

17,763639147 (3.99)1 / 379
Member:lsthomas
Title:My Sisters Keeper
Authors:Jodi Picoult
Info:SIMON & SCHUSTER @ TRADE (2004), Paperback

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (2004)

Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult (AllieAldy)
    AllieAldy: Another phenomenal book by Jodi Picoult, draws you in and is as suspenseful as My Sister's Keeper.
    The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson (_Zoe_)
    Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult (kiwiflowa)
    While My Sister Sleeps by Barbara Delinsky (dara85)
    dara85: Both books are about sisters and their love/hate relationships. One sister is faced with a life threating situation.
    The Spare Room by Helen Garner (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult may be paired with The Spare Room by Helen Garner.
    Five Flavors of Dumb by Antony John (kaledrina)
    The Dive from Clausen's Pier by Ann Packer (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Like My Sister's Keeper, The Dive from Clausen's Pier is a provocative novel that asks a difficult, complex question -- what responsibility do we have to ourselves and to those we love?
    The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These two novels share similar subject matter (the use of individuals expressly for the donation of organs). However, The Unit is set in a dystopian near-future while My Sister's Keeper is strictly contemporary.
    Midwives by Chris Bohjalian (CasualFriday)
    The Things That Keep Us Here by Carla Buckley (_Zoe_)
    Pieces of My Sister's Life by Elizabeth Joy Arnold (SaraAllison)
    Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson (corneggs)
    72 Hour Hold by Bebe Moore Campbell (howelson)
    howelson: Bebe Moore Campbell explores another medical issue affecting family, bipolar disorder.
    The Client by John Grisham (ShannonMDE)
    ShannonMDE: I think My Sister's Keeper had the feel of early John Grisham back when he wrote about people instead of corporations.
    How Do You Say Goodbye by Pam Logan (MichelleRuda)
    MichelleRuda: Another one of those books that sucks you in and makes you cry. I love it!
    Perfect by Natasha Friend (BookLover07)
    BookLover07: The book, " Perfect" by Natasha Friend, is such an eye catching book about a 13 year old who is over-whelmed with her body, that she pressures herself to throw up, to make her look thinner. Just when you think that was shocking, read on what happens next (:… (more)

English (626)  German (5)  Lithuanian (3)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (636)
A child is conceived just for the purpose of keeping her older sibling alive. The child decides to seek counsel to allow her to make her own decisions on medial procedures. It is heartbreaking all the way around. Why does she want to make her own decisions? Will her parents let her after a lifetime of being her sisters keeper. The ending is probably the only way it could end. And it is a surprise. ( )
  joannemonck | Feb 7, 2019 |
Book Theme: How much does a sibling owe to another sibling. Was Anna was conceived just to provide "spare parts". Kate contracted leukemia at three years old? How does Anna react as her realization of her mother's purpose in giving birth to her? Sara, the mother, contracted experts to guide her in the selection of fertilized eggs that would provide the best matches to provide stem cells and kidneys to her sister as needed to extend Kates life.

Anna at 13 years of age contacts an attorney to remove power of medical decisions from her parents to herself. What is Anna's relation to Kate?
  waltser1 | Feb 2, 2019 |
I thought this was a beautiful book. Many comment that the family was dysfunctional. I don't know if that is true - but I can't imagine the toll a sick, dying child has on the rest of the family. The mother didn't love one child above the others, but any mother knows, she will do whatever it takes to keep her children healthy and safe. Caring for a child with a terrible illness takes a toll on the entire family, and this family was cracking under the stress. I thought the plot twists were interesting and I was quite upset over the ending. A real tear-jerker. Beautifully done and handled with compassion. ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
My Sister's Keeper
by Jodi Picoult

When I finished reading the book, after recovering from the unexpected emotional turmoil that finally appeared, it occurred to me that this is a book told in many voices, and in every o them it does a beautiful job. I do not know if this is the new form of writing nowadays, or mine comes across a more common occurrence than the norm, in books where there is not one narrator, but some similarities whose stories are intertwined. In general, I find it difficult for a single writer to express the subtleties required for each character, beyond the intelligent use of the language and the appropriate expressions, but also to present different angles without bias in favor of the writer's position. In my opinion, in this book at least, the author managed to do it.
But the book is much more complicated than any other book that speaks in many voices. It deals with genetic engineering (even if only by the back door). It deals with the entire subject of science and progress and relates to our daily life, but mainly deals with the issue of a family that has a sick child. I know that the parents' preoccupation with trying to give the child the best of their ability and to give him the opportunity to integrate in the best way in society, has a significant impact on the lives of the other children (large Or smaller). It is easy to claim that even if there is one child who needs more help than his brother. the family is able to divide the resources best, from experience, from a conversation with three people (at least as far as I can remember now) from three different families, Revolve around the child, and often have a different effect on the other siblings.
In spite of everything, the experience in this book is to show the different points of view, the perspective of the parents (each in itself - an incredible division, because even if the parents want and try to form a united front when deciding how to raise their children and allocate their resources, To bring them to total unanimity, and as difficulties grow, the cracks widen and give their mark in other areas of life.
Right, the book defines itself as dealing with one decision that one morning receives their young daughter who was brought to the world to provide her sister with a source of the genetic materials she needed, but he interprets and introduces us to live in such a complicated family, presents us with the difficulties that arise within the house itself, That the parents are exhausted from their wars in the establishment that will enable them to do more and more to their child after they come defeated or win home, and they have to invest in the more ordinary daily life of their other children, who sometimes need to fall between the chairs.
I think that those who know these families, know that things are never simple, remember that even years after childhood there are sediments in the whole family. I think that the book tries to do kindness with this complex reality and give a brief glimpse into each of the complex aspects of such a family.
This book highly recommended to anyone who has ever heard of a family like this one and wants to know what such a complex reality does for today's life
  JantTommason | Jan 7, 2019 |
About a family with a daughter diagnosed with leukemia at 2. The couple has a child genetically conceived to be a donor for the sick daughter. At 16, Kate is tired of being sick. At 13, Anna wants to be free.
The story line is good. Jesse is predictable as the arsonist. It's predictable who dies in the end, but I didn't guess on the "how." And I didn't figure out what the service dog was for.
This book was MUCH better than The Pact. ( )
  VhartPowers | Dec 27, 2018 |
This all feels like some awkward combination of a sci-fi novel and a movie on the Lifetime Channel.

Om utgivelsen :

Anna er ikke syk, men hun kunne like gjerne vært det. I løpet av sitt trettenårige liv har hun gjennomgått utallige operasjoner. Hun har nemlig blitt satt til verden for at hennes beinmarg skal redde den eldre søsteren, Kate, fra leukemien hun lider av. Men nå har Anna for første gang begynt å stille spørsmål ved hvem hun egentlig er, og hvem hun ønsker å være. Er hun noe mer enn sin søsters livredder?

For Anna tvinger det seg fram en umulig avgjørelse. En avgjørelse som skal splitte familien og som kanskje får fatale følger for Kate.

Min søsters vokter er en sterk og gripende bok om en familie som befinner seg i en uløselig situasjon. Jodi Picoult er en mester i å skrive innsiktsfullt og engasjerende om viktige moralske spørsmål, og holder leseren fanget helt til siste side er lest.

No one starts a war - or rather, no one in his sense ought to do so - without first being clear in his mind what he intends to achieve by that war and how he intends to conduct it. - Carl Von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege.
Brother, I am fire
Surging under ocean floor.
I shall never meet you, brother--
Not for years, anyhow;
Maybe thousands of years, brother.
Then I will warm you,
Hold you close, wrap you in circles,
Use you and change you--
Maybe thousands of years, brother.
---Carl Sandburg, "Kin"
My candle burns at both ends. It will not last the night. But oh my foes and oh my friends! It makes a lovely light! --Edna St. Vincent Millay "First Fig"
I will read ashes for you, if you ask me.
I will look in the fire and tell you from the gray lashes
And out of the red and black tongues and stripes,
I will tell how fire comes
And how fire runs as far as the sea.
---Carl Sandburg, "Fire Pages"
You, if you were sensible, When I tell you the stars flash signals, each one dreadful, You would not turn and answer me "The night is wonderful." --D.H. Lawrence, "Under the Oak"
To the Currans: The best family members we're not technically related to. thanks for being such a big part of our lives.
When I was little, the great mystery to me wasn't how babies were made, but why.
In my family, we seem to have a tortured history of not saying what we ought to and not meaning what we do.
[My sister] and I are Siamese twins; you just can't see the spot where we're connected. Which makes separation that much more difficult.
True love is felonious. You take someone's breath away. You rob them of the ability to utter a single word. You steal a heart. It's not a misdemeanor... once you're in, it's for life. (paraphrased)
The human capacity for burden is like bamboo-- far more flexible than you'd ever believe at first glance.
Summertime is a collective unconscious. We all remember the notes that made up the song of the ice cream man; we all know what it feels like to brand our thighs on a playground slide that's heated up like a knife ina fire; we all have lain on our backs with our eyes closed and our hearts beating across the surface of our lids, hoping that this day will stretch just a little longer than the last one, when in fact it's all going in the other direction.
This work should only be the unabridged novel of My Sister's Keeper. Please do NOT combine it with the 2009 movie of the same title that is based on this book. Thank you.

New York Times bestselling author Jodi Picoult is widely acclaimed for her keen insights into the hearts and minds of real people. Now she tells the emotionally riveting story of a family torn apart by conflicting needs and a passionate love that triumphs over human weakness.

Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate—a life and a role that she has never challenged...until now. Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister—and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable, a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves.

My Sister’s Keeper examines what it means to be a good parent, a good sister, a good person. Is it morally correct to do whatever it takes to save a child’s life, even if that means infringing upon the rights of another? Is it worth trying to discover who you really are, if that quest makes you like yourself less? Should you follow your own heart, or let others lead you? Once again, in My Sister’s Keeper, Jodi Picoult tackles a controversial real-life subject with grace, wisdom, and sensitivity.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:15 -0400)

Conceived to provide a bone marrow match for her leukemia-stricken sister, teenage Kate begins to question her moral obligations in light of countless medical procedures and decides to fight for the right to make decisions about her own body. New York Times bestselling author Jodi Picoult tells the emotionally riveting story of a family torn apart by conflicting needs and a passionate love that triumphs over human weakness. Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate -- a life and a role that she has never challenged -- until now. When their parents ask her to donate a kidney, Anna has had enough. She enlists the aid of a lawyer and announces her intention to sue for control of her own body. Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister -- and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable, a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves. My Sister's Keeper examines what it means to be a good parent, a good sister, a good person. Is it morally correct to do whatever it takes to save a child's life, even if that means infringing upon the rights of another? Is it worth trying to discover who you really are, if that quest makes you like yourself less? Should you follow your own heart, or let others lead you?… (more)

5 2041

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,536,860 books! | Top bar: Always visible