My Sister's Keeper: A Novel by Jodi…

My Sister's Keeper: A Novel (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Jodi Picoult

17,908645149 (3.99)1 / 379
Member:headofadmin
Title:My Sister's Keeper: A Novel
Authors:Jodi Picoult
Info:Washington Square Press (2005), Paperback, 448 pages

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (2004)

Recently added bycoetagrove, StellaKts, rena75, aahern19, private library
    Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult (AllieAldy)
    AllieAldy: Another phenomenal book by Jodi Picoult, draws you in and is as suspenseful as My Sister's Keeper.
    The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson (_Zoe_)
    Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult (kiwiflowa)
    While My Sister Sleeps by Barbara Delinsky (dara85)
    dara85: Both books are about sisters and their love/hate relationships. One sister is faced with a life threating situation.
    The Spare Room by Helen Garner (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult may be paired with The Spare Room by Helen Garner.
    Five Flavors of Dumb by Antony John (kaledrina)
    The Dive from Clausen's Pier by Ann Packer (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Like My Sister's Keeper, The Dive from Clausen's Pier is a provocative novel that asks a difficult, complex question -- what responsibility do we have to ourselves and to those we love?
    The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These two novels share similar subject matter (the use of individuals expressly for the donation of organs). However, The Unit is set in a dystopian near-future while My Sister's Keeper is strictly contemporary.
    Midwives by Chris Bohjalian (CasualFriday)
    The Things That Keep Us Here by Carla Buckley (_Zoe_)
    Pieces of My Sister's Life by Elizabeth Joy Arnold (SaraAllison)
    Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson (corneggs)
    72 Hour Hold by Bebe Moore Campbell (howelson)
    howelson: Bebe Moore Campbell explores another medical issue affecting family, bipolar disorder.
    The Client by John Grisham (ShannonMDE)
    ShannonMDE: I think My Sister's Keeper had the feel of early John Grisham back when he wrote about people instead of corporations.
    How Do You Say Goodbye by Pam Logan (MichelleRuda)
    MichelleRuda: Another one of those books that sucks you in and makes you cry. I love it!
    Perfect by Natasha Friend (BookLover07)
    BookLover07: The book, " Perfect" by Natasha Friend, is such an eye catching book about a 13 year old who is over-whelmed with her body, that she pressures herself to throw up, to make her look thinner. Just when you think that was shocking, read on what happens next (:… (more)

English (631)  German (5)  Lithuanian (3)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (641)
I'm not sure I have sufficient words to describe how much I loved and hated this book. Normally, I hate the multiple points of view in books, but Jodi Picoult does it in a way that flows so well that you don't feel turned off by it. I developed feelings for every character in this book. It's hard not to! Anna and Kate are both stuck in a situation that neither wants to be in. There's no sense of fairness in it. If Anna stops giving, Kate suffers. If Anna keeps giving of herself, then Anna suffers. It's sad, it's frustrating, and it's just a crying shame that life can be this cruel.

I also felt for Brian, Sara, Jesse, and Julia, and Campbell. Being the parent of a sick child is heart-wrenching, but having to go through the legal process would taste one's patience and their sanity. All throughout this book, I questioned if this was even ethical. It certainly doesn't feel normal, and maybe that's why we need ethics committees/ethics panels. It would be hard to take a medical situation such as this and discuss what really is the right decision for everybody. Because no matter the result, someone gets hurt. Someone suffers. And the damage may be irreparable.

This is definitely a book club book that I would recommend to any group that wants a lively discussion. I don't regret picking up this book. It's been an eye-opener and it's still on my mind and probably will be for a good number of days. I'm planning to watch the movie to see how closely it follows the book. ( )
  caslater83 | Jun 2, 2019 |
I was prepared for this book to be emotionally manipulative but I was very pleased. Jodi Picoult explored the theme in so much depth that I got very attached tomn some of the characters and wanted them to continue in other books but the story makes that impossible,

What is it like for a family to have a terminally ill child? Kate had a very dangerous form of childhood leukemia, there seemed to be now hope for her. No one was a genetic match for her. Not her father, Brian, who never had a college education but was committed to saving lives as a fireman, not her mother who was an attorney, and not her brother, Jessie, the loner, troubled and unable to control hi s anger. Kate' s doctor told them that the best march would a personally genetically close to Kate as possible, that was Anna who was a genetically engineered baby.

I admit that there were many times that I got angry with Anna' s mother and I did not understand how both parents could let their son self destruct but I can remember what it is like to be thirteen and never asked if she wanted to continue to be Kate' s donor. And what about Kate' s feelings? Kate had to adopt a sense of humor to bring her family back to earth.

My family had never been in this situation so this story opened my eyes to difficult decisions made by the family, the legal considerations, moral, ethical and those of love.

I highly recommended My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. Please do not give on this book early on, it is well worth sticking it out! ( )
  Carolee888 | Jun 1, 2019 |
Anna was conceived specifically so that she could serve as a donor to her older sister Kate who was diagnosed with leukemia at age two. Since birth, Anna has gone through invasive procedures to provide her bone marrow and stem cells to keep her sister alive. At thirteen, Anna hires an attorney to fight for her right to make her own decisions about her body. She wants to decide herself whether or not to undergo surgeries and transfusions or to give her sister a kidney. ( )
  KatherineGregg | Apr 24, 2019 |
I didn't like the twist at the end when Anna died from a car accident after winning the rights to decide on her life. I felt manipulated. It would have been so much better if Picoult had ended the story 'normally'. Also, the plot didn't benefit much from telling the story from different perspectives. ( )
  siok | Mar 24, 2019 |
Three stars because I was highly invested in this book the first time I read it. Upon reflection (especially after reading a few more by Picoult), I realized how thoroughly I had been manipulated by shock, which cheapened and flattened the story for me (and eventually caused me to stop reading this author, since she employs this method in every book). ( )
1 vote AmandaGStevens | Mar 2, 2019 |
This all feels like some awkward combination of a sci-fi novel and a movie on the Lifetime Channel.

Om utgivelsen :

Anna er ikke syk, men hun kunne like gjerne vært det. I løpet av sitt trettenårige liv har hun gjennomgått utallige operasjoner. Hun har nemlig blitt satt til verden for at hennes beinmarg skal redde den eldre søsteren, Kate, fra leukemien hun lider av. Men nå har Anna for første gang begynt å stille spørsmål ved hvem hun egentlig er, og hvem hun ønsker å være. Er hun noe mer enn sin søsters livredder?

For Anna tvinger det seg fram en umulig avgjørelse. En avgjørelse som skal splitte familien og som kanskje får fatale følger for Kate.

Min søsters vokter er en sterk og gripende bok om en familie som befinner seg i en uløselig situasjon. Jodi Picoult er en mester i å skrive innsiktsfullt og engasjerende om viktige moralske spørsmål, og holder leseren fanget helt til siste side er lest.

No one starts a war - or rather, no one in his sense ought to do so - without first being clear in his mind what he intends to achieve by that war and how he intends to conduct it. - Carl Von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege.
Brother, I am fire
Surging under ocean floor.
I shall never meet you, brother--
Not for years, anyhow;
Maybe thousands of years, brother.
Then I will warm you,
Hold you close, wrap you in circles,
Use you and change you--
Maybe thousands of years, brother.
---Carl Sandburg, "Kin"
My candle burns at both ends. It will not last the night. But oh my foes and oh my friends! It makes a lovely light! --Edna St. Vincent Millay "First Fig"
I will read ashes for you, if you ask me.
I will look in the fire and tell you from the gray lashes
And out of the red and black tongues and stripes,
I will tell how fire comes
And how fire runs as far as the sea.
---Carl Sandburg, "Fire Pages"
You, if you were sensible, When I tell you the stars flash signals, each one dreadful, You would not turn and answer me "The night is wonderful." --D.H. Lawrence, "Under the Oak"
To the Currans: The best family members we're not technically related to. thanks for being such a big part of our lives.
When I was little, the great mystery to me wasn't how babies were made, but why.
In my family, we seem to have a tortured history of not saying what we ought to and not meaning what we do.
[My sister] and I are Siamese twins; you just can't see the spot where we're connected. Which makes separation that much more difficult.
True love is felonious. You take someone's breath away. You rob them of the ability to utter a single word. You steal a heart. It's not a misdemeanor... once you're in, it's for life. (paraphrased)
The human capacity for burden is like bamboo-- far more flexible than you'd ever believe at first glance.
Summertime is a collective unconscious. We all remember the notes that made up the song of the ice cream man; we all know what it feels like to brand our thighs on a playground slide that's heated up like a knife ina fire; we all have lain on our backs with our eyes closed and our hearts beating across the surface of our lids, hoping that this day will stretch just a little longer than the last one, when in fact it's all going in the other direction.
This work should only be the unabridged novel of My Sister's Keeper. Please do NOT combine it with the 2009 movie of the same title that is based on this book. Thank you.

New York Times bestselling author Jodi Picoult is widely acclaimed for her keen insights into the hearts and minds of real people. Now she tells the emotionally riveting story of a family torn apart by conflicting needs and a passionate love that triumphs over human weakness.

Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate—a life and a role that she has never challenged...until now. Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister—and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable, a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves.

My Sister’s Keeper examines what it means to be a good parent, a good sister, a good person. Is it morally correct to do whatever it takes to save a child’s life, even if that means infringing upon the rights of another? Is it worth trying to discover who you really are, if that quest makes you like yourself less? Should you follow your own heart, or let others lead you? Once again, in My Sister’s Keeper, Jodi Picoult tackles a controversial real-life subject with grace, wisdom, and sensitivity.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:15 -0400)

Conceived to provide a bone marrow match for her leukemia-stricken sister, teenage Kate begins to question her moral obligations in light of countless medical procedures and decides to fight for the right to make decisions about her own body. New York Times bestselling author Jodi Picoult tells the emotionally riveting story of a family torn apart by conflicting needs and a passionate love that triumphs over human weakness. Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate -- a life and a role that she has never challenged -- until now. When their parents ask her to donate a kidney, Anna has had enough. She enlists the aid of a lawyer and announces her intention to sue for control of her own body. Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister -- and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable, a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves. My Sister's Keeper examines what it means to be a good parent, a good sister, a good person. Is it morally correct to do whatever it takes to save a child's life, even if that means infringing upon the rights of another? Is it worth trying to discover who you really are, if that quest makes you like yourself less? Should you follow your own heart, or let others lead you?… (more)

5 2047

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,697,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible