My Sister's Keeper: A Novel by Jodi…

My Sister's Keeper: A Novel (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Jodi Picoult

15,853578111 (4.02)1 / 344
Member:Clair155
Title:My Sister's Keeper: A Novel
Authors:Jodi Picoult
Info:Washington Square Press (2005), Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:*****

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (2004)

Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult (AllieAldy)
    AllieAldy: Another phenomenal book by Jodi Picoult, draws you in and is as suspenseful as My Sister's Keeper.
    Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult (kiwiflowa)
    The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson (_Zoe_)
    While My Sister Sleeps by Barbara Delinsky (dara85)
    dara85: Both books are about sisters and their love/hate relationships. One sister is faced with a life threating situation.
    Five Flavors of Dumb by Antony John (kaledrina)
    The Spare Room by Helen Garner (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult may be paired with The Spare Room by Helen Garner.
    The Dive from Clausen's Pier by Ann Packer (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Like My Sister's Keeper, The Dive from Clausen's Pier is a provocative novel that asks a difficult, complex question -- what responsibility do we have to ourselves and to those we love?
    The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These two novels share similar subject matter (the use of individuals expressly for the donation of organs). However, The Unit is set in a dystopian near-future while My Sister's Keeper is strictly contemporary.
    Midwives by Chris Bohjalian (CasualFriday)
    Pieces of My Sister's Life by Elizabeth Joy Arnold (SaraAllison)
    Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson (corneggs)
    72 Hour Hold by Bebe Moore Campbell (howelson)
    howelson: Bebe Moore Campbell explores another medical issue affecting family, bipolar disorder.
    The Things That Keep Us Here by Carla Buckley (_Zoe_)
    How Do You Say Goodbye by Pam Logan (MichelleRuda)
    MichelleRuda: Another one of those books that sucks you in and makes you cry. I love it!
    The Client by John Grisham (ShannonMDE)
    ShannonMDE: I think My Sister's Keeper had the feel of early John Grisham back when he wrote about people instead of corporations.
    Perfect by Natasha Friend (BookLover07)
    BookLover07: The book, " Perfect" by Natasha Friend, is such an eye catching book about a 13 year old who is over-whelmed with her body, that she pressures herself to throw up, to make her look thinner. Just when you think that was shocking, read on what happens next (:… (more)

English (564)  German (5)  Lithuanian (3)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (574)
I have seen the movie but have not read the book; going in to it I was unsure of what was going to happen. I was pleasantly surprised with the writing style switching between characters. I thought I was going to get jumbled up with each of the characters but towards the end I found it really enjoyable. The words are very easy to follow and it has good flow, it keeps the reader excited for the next chapter.
The story is very different to anything I have ever read, it talks about cancer, ethics, family and love. It definitely has many twists and turns and will make you shocked at certain situations and make you question the characters. But this shows the reader the tough times that happens when a family member is sick.
I would definitely recommend this book for anyone who is interested in a story about drama and family. It is a great read for adults and teenagers who are looking for something unique and something that a family will experience. ( )
  joanna2000 | Jul 21, 2015 |
This was my first venture into Ms. Picoult's writing and I was disappointed. I truly wanted to like this book. I didn't. The subject matter, living donors, designer babies and the legalities surrounding it all could have made this a real page turner. I found this book a little flat and slow when I felt it should have been enthralling and intense. Kudos on her ending though. I did not see that one coming!
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
This book would be good to use when talking about difficulties in families. Students would enjoy this book because of the unusual relationship between the sisters and the twist at the end. ( )
  Kate_Schulte078 | May 4, 2015 |
She remembered that day like it was yesterday. Her daughter, still just a toddler, shifted on her lap while the doctor spoke. He had a solemn look on his face, the side effect of delivering bad news. She released a sob of despair, frightening the little girl sitting atop her leg. She was not a match.
He loved her with all of his might. He loved the way her skin smelled of baby powder, the way she giggled when he tickled her feet, the way she looked up at him with her big eyes. He would wonder to himself, why, with all of his love, could he not save her? He was not a match.
He was there when she was born. He hugged her as a baby, played with her small fingers, kissed her chubby cheeks. He loved his little sister, but could not save her life. He was not a match.
She was born for one reason and one reason only. She wanted to travel the world, go to college, get married, die old and grey, but she couldn’t. She had to stand right by her sister’s side, making sure everything was balanced and healthy and clean. She was a match.
“My Sister’s Keeper” revolves around the life of a girl, born to be a donor for her sister, who has filed a medical emancipation in order to stop the donations. Brian and Sara Fitzgerald’s lives were perfect; they had a house with two babies under the roof, one boy and one girl, with the honeymoon stage of their relationship barely beginning. Their worlds changed forever when their daughter, only two years old at the time, was diagnosed with leukemia. After several attempts of trying to find the perfect bone marrow matches, the only option to keep their daughter alive was to create the ideal baby; one that could provide the temporary cure for cancer.
After hiring a lawyer with a past and a guardian ad litem with a sour feeling towards him, Anna Fitzgerald’s life is unlike most thirteen-year old girl’s. She has finally signed the emancipation contract, hiring one of the hardest and powerful attorney in the business. She does not realize going to court against her parents will create a crack in the family, along with rekindling an old romance between her guardian, Julia, and her defender, Campbell. Throughout the book, this relationship, along with others, develop. Some improve, while others diminish under the pressure. Jodi Picoult, the author, works to build these connections throughout the entire plot.
Overall, the book itself was quite bland. Though this may seem harsh, it never reached the climax until the very end. It was a simple plot and was very predictable, except at the conclusion of the story. The character development had holes in them, the major points were rushed, and the main idea of the book is a bit stale. My personal feeling towards the book is not good, due to the fact that it was a tad boring, along with the writing being poor.
  TaSaBr14 | Mar 22, 2015 |
Incredibly poignant! ( )
  KristinDrysdale | Mar 6, 2015 |
This all feels like some awkward combination of a sci-fi novel and a movie on the Lifetime Channel.

Om utgivelsen :

Anna er ikke syk, men hun kunne like gjerne vært det. I løpet av sitt trettenårige liv har hun gjennomgått utallige operasjoner. Hun har nemlig blitt satt til verden for at hennes beinmarg skal redde den eldre søsteren, Kate, fra leukemien hun lider av. Men nå har Anna for første gang begynt å stille spørsmål ved hvem hun egentlig er, og hvem hun ønsker å være. Er hun noe mer enn sin søsters livredder?

For Anna tvinger det seg fram en umulig avgjørelse. En avgjørelse som skal splitte familien og som kanskje får fatale følger for Kate.

Min søsters vokter er en sterk og gripende bok om en familie som befinner seg i en uløselig situasjon. Jodi Picoult er en mester i å skrive innsiktsfullt og engasjerende om viktige moralske spørsmål, og holder leseren fanget helt til siste side er lest.

No one starts a war - or rather, no one in his sense ought to do so - without first being clear in his mind what he intends to achieve by that war and how he intends to conduct it. - Carl Von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege.
Brother, I am fire
Surging under ocean floor.
I shall never meet you, brother--
Not for years, anyhow;
Maybe thousands of years, brother.
Then I will warm you,
Hold you close, wrap you in circles,
Use you and change you--
Maybe thousands of years, brother.
---Carl Sandburg, "Kin"
My candle burns at both ends. It will not last the night. But oh my foes and oh my friends! It makes a lovely light! --Edna St. Vincent Millay "First Fig"
I will read ashes for you, if you ask me.
I will look in the fire and tell you from the gray lashes
And out of the red and black tongues and stripes,
I will tell how fire comes
And how fire runs as far as the sea.
---Carl Sandburg, "Fire Pages"
You, if you were sensible, When I tell you the stars flash signals, each one dreadful, You would not turn and answer me "The night is wonderful." --D.H. Lawrence, "Under the Oak"
To the Currans: The best family members we're not technically related to. thanks for being such a big part of our lives.
When I was little, the great mystery to me wasn't how babies were made, but why.
In my family, we seem to have a tortured history of not saying what we ought to and not meaning what we do.
[My sister] and I are Siamese twins; you just can't see the spot where we're connected. Which makes separation that much more difficult.
True love is felonious. You take someone's breath away. You rob them of the ability to utter a single word. You steal a heart. It's not a misdemeanor... once you're in, it's for life. (paraphrased)
The human capacity for burden is like bamboo-- far more flexible than you'd ever believe at first glance.
Summertime is a collective unconscious. We all remember the notes that made up the song of the ice cream man; we all know what it feels like to brand our thighs on a playground slide that's heated up like a knife ina fire; we all have lain on our backs with our eyes closed and our hearts beating across the surface of our lids, hoping that this day will stretch just a little longer than the last one, when in fact it's all going in the other direction.

New York Times bestselling author Jodi Picoult is widely acclaimed for her keen insights into the hearts and minds of real people. Now she tells the emotionally riveting story of a family torn apart by conflicting needs and a passionate love that triumphs over human weakness.

Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate—a life and a role that she has never challenged...until now. Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister—and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable, a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves.

My Sister’s Keeper examines what it means to be a good parent, a good sister, a good person. Is it morally correct to do whatever it takes to save a child’s life, even if that means infringing upon the rights of another? Is it worth trying to discover who you really are, if that quest makes you like yourself less? Should you follow your own heart, or let others lead you? Once again, in My Sister’s Keeper, Jodi Picoult tackles a controversial real-life subject with grace, wisdom, and sensitivity.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:15 -0400)

Conceived to provide a bone marrow match for her leukemia-stricken sister, teenage Kate begins to question her moral obligations in light of countless medical procedures and decides to fight for the right to make decisions about her own body. New York Times bestselling author Jodi Picoult tells the emotionally riveting story of a family torn apart by conflicting needs and a passionate love that triumphs over human weakness. Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate -- a life and a role that she has never challenged -- until now. When their parents ask her to donate a kidney, Anna has had enough. She enlists the aid of a lawyer and announces her intention to sue for control of her own body. Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister -- and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable, a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves. My Sister's Keeper examines what it means to be a good parent, a good sister, a good person. Is it morally correct to do whatever it takes to save a child's life, even if that means infringing upon the rights of another? Is it worth trying to discover who you really are, if that quest makes you like yourself less? Should you follow your own heart, or let others lead you?… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,131,274 books! | Top bar: Always visible