My Sister's Keeper: A Novel by Jodi…

My Sister's Keeper: A Novel (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Jodi Picoult

15,676571113 (4.02)1 / 337
Member:Clair155
Title:My Sister's Keeper: A Novel
Authors:Jodi Picoult
Info:Washington Square Press (2005), Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:*****

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (2004)

Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult (AllieAldy)
    AllieAldy: Another phenomenal book by Jodi Picoult, draws you in and is as suspenseful as My Sister's Keeper.
    Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult (kiwiflowa)
    The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson (_Zoe_)
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (InfectiousOptimist)
    While My Sister Sleeps by Barbara Delinsky (dara85)
    dara85: Both books are about sisters and their love/hate relationships. One sister is faced with a life threating situation.
    Five Flavors of Dumb by Antony John (kaledrina)
    The Spare Room by Helen Garner (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult may be paired with The Spare Room by Helen Garner.
    Midwives by Chris Bohjalian (CasualFriday)
    The Things That Keep Us Here by Carla Buckley (_Zoe_)
    Pieces of My Sister's Life by Elizabeth Joy Arnold (SaraAllison)
    72 Hour Hold by Bebe Moore Campbell (howelson)
    howelson: Bebe Moore Campbell explores another medical issue affecting family, bipolar disorder.
    Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson (corneggs)
    How Do You Say Goodbye by Pam Logan (MichelleRuda)
    MichelleRuda: Another one of those books that sucks you in and makes you cry. I love it!
    The Client by John Grisham (ShannonMDE)
    ShannonMDE: I think My Sister's Keeper had the feel of early John Grisham back when he wrote about people instead of corporations.
    Perfect by Natasha Friend (BookLover07)
    BookLover07: The book, " Perfect" by Natasha Friend, is such an eye catching book about a 13 year old who is over-whelmed with her body, that she pressures herself to throw up, to make her look thinner. Just when you think that was shocking, read on what happens next (:… (more)

English (558)  German (5)  Lithuanian (3)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (568)
4.25 stars

Anna was born because her older sister, Kate, was diagnosed with leukemia when she was only 2, and her parents wanted someone who would match Kate, so the new baby could donate to help Kate out. Now 13, Anna has decided that she wants control of her own body – she wants to make her own decisions on when and whether or not to donate to her sister – so she sues her parents for medical emancipation.

I really liked this (though there was a side story with her lawyer that I could have done without; I guess the side story was ok, it just wasn't necessary, I didn't think). There were times I really disliked Anna's mom, but I quite liked her dad. The book kicked up a notch at the end with a number of twists that elevated my rating by ¼ star. The book was told from many people's points of view, and it did slip back in time occasionally, as well. ( )
  LibraryCin | Nov 29, 2014 |
Jodi Picoult gives a good all round argument for this area. Give surprising insight to a very sensitive subject. ( )
  greatbookescapes | Nov 20, 2014 |
This was better than I expected--thought it was going to be way depressing, and it was definitely sad, but it gave me more hope than I thought it would! ( )
  trayceetee | Nov 15, 2014 |
This all feels like some awkward combination of a sci-fi novel and a movie on the Lifetime Channel.

No one starts a war - or rather, no one in his sense ought to do so - without first being clear in his mind what he intends to achieve by that war and how he intends to conduct it. - Carl Von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege.
Brother, I am fire
Surging under ocean floor.
I shall never meet you, brother--
Not for years, anyhow;
Maybe thousands of years, brother.
Then I will warm you,
Hold you close, wrap you in circles,
Use you and change you--
Maybe thousands of years, brother.
---Carl Sandburg, "Kin"
My candle burns at both ends. It will not last the night. But oh my foes and oh my friends! It makes a lovely light! --Edna St. Vincent Millay "First Fig"
I will read ashes for you, if you ask me.
I will look in the fire and tell you from the gray lashes
And out of the red and black tongues and stripes,
I will tell how fire comes
And how fire runs as far as the sea.
---Carl Sandburg, "Fire Pages"
You, if you were sensible, When I tell you the stars flash signals, each one dreadful, You would not turn and answer me "The night is wonderful." --D.H. Lawrence, "Under the Oak"
To the Currans: The best family members we're not technically related to. thanks for being such a big part of our lives.
When I was little, the great mystery to me wasn't how babies were made, but why.
In my family, we seem to have a tortured history of not saying what we ought to and not meaning what we do.
[My sister] and I are Siamese twins; you just can't see the spot where we're connected. Which makes separation that much more difficult.
True love is felonious. You take someone's breath away. You rob them of the ability to utter a single word. You steal a heart. It's not a misdemeanor... once you're in, it's for life. (paraphrased)
The human capacity for burden is like bamboo-- far more flexible than you'd ever believe at first glance.
Summertime is a collective unconscious. We all remember the notes that made up the song of the ice cream man; we all know what it feels like to brand our thighs on a playground slide that's heated up like a knife ina fire; we all have lain on our backs with our eyes closed and our hearts beating across the surface of our lids, hoping that this day will stretch just a little longer than the last one, when in fact it's all going in the other direction.

New York Times bestselling author Jodi Picoult is widely acclaimed for her keen insights into the hearts and minds of real people. Now she tells the emotionally riveting story of a family torn apart by conflicting needs and a passionate love that triumphs over human weakness.

Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate—a life and a role that she has never challenged...until now. Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister—and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable, a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves.

My Sister’s Keeper examines what it means to be a good parent, a good sister, a good person. Is it morally correct to do whatever it takes to save a child’s life, even if that means infringing upon the rights of another? Is it worth trying to discover who you really are, if that quest makes you like yourself less? Should you follow your own heart, or let others lead you? Once again, in My Sister’s Keeper, Jodi Picoult tackles a controversial real-life subject with grace, wisdom, and sensitivity.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:56 -0400)

Conceived to provide a bone marrow match for her leukemia-stricken sister, teenage Kate begins to question her moral obligations in light of countless medical procedures and decides to fight for the right to make decisions about her own body. New York Times bestselling author Jodi Picoult tells the emotionally riveting story of a family torn apart by conflicting needs and a passionate love that triumphs over human weakness. Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate -- a life and a role that she has never challenged -- until now. When their parents ask her to donate a kidney, Anna has had enough. She enlists the aid of a lawyer and announces her intention to sue for control of her own body. Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister -- and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable, a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves. My Sister's Keeper examines what it means to be a good parent, a good sister, a good person. Is it morally correct to do whatever it takes to save a child's life, even if that means infringing upon the rights of another? Is it worth trying to discover who you really are, if that quest makes you like yourself less? Should you follow your own heart, or let others lead you?… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,335,840 books! | Top bar: Always visible