My Sister's Keeper: A Novel by Jodi…

My Sister's Keeper: A Novel (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Jodi Picoult

15,372562119 (4.03)1 / 334
Member:Clair155
Title:My Sister's Keeper: A Novel
Authors:Jodi Picoult
Info:Washington Square Press (2005), Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:*****

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (2004)

Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult (AllieAldy)
    AllieAldy: Another phenomenal book by Jodi Picoult, draws you in and is as suspenseful as My Sister's Keeper.
    Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult (kiwiflowa)
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (InfectiousOptimist)
    The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson (_Zoe_)
    While My Sister Sleeps by Barbara Delinsky (dara85)
    dara85: Both books are about sisters and their love/hate relationships. One sister is faced with a life threating situation.
    Five Flavors of Dumb by Antony John (kaledrina)
    The Spare Room by Helen Garner (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult may be paired with The Spare Room by Helen Garner.
    Pieces of My Sister's Life by Elizabeth Joy Arnold (SaraAllison)
    The Client by John Grisham (ShannonMDE)
    ShannonMDE: I think My Sister's Keeper had the feel of early John Grisham back when he wrote about people instead of corporations.
    Midwives by Chris Bohjalian (CasualFriday)
    Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson (corneggs)
    The Things That Keep Us Here by Carla Buckley (_Zoe_)
    72 Hour Hold by Bebe Moore Campbell (howelson)
    howelson: Bebe Moore Campbell explores another medical issue affecting family, bipolar disorder.
    How Do You Say Goodbye by Pam Logan (MichelleRuda)
    MichelleRuda: Another one of those books that sucks you in and makes you cry. I love it!
    Perfect by Natasha Friend (BookLover07)
    BookLover07: The book, " Perfect" by Natasha Friend, is such an eye catching book about a 13 year old who is over-whelmed with her body, that she pressures herself to throw up, to make her look thinner. Just when you think that was shocking, read on what happens next (:… (more)

English (549)  German (5)  Lithuanian (3)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (559)
Picked this up from a friend, it was my first Picoult novel and definitely a memorable one. This is the story if a thirteen year old who was been a donor of all sorts for her older sister with leukemia.
The story opens with Anna going to a lawyer to seek medical emancipation--stating she no longer wants to donate anything.
The book is the story of how it all plays out--the hearing, and also of how complicated such decisions are.
It was a very well written story, and one that had me wanting to read it when I wasn't, and crying when I was. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Section B
1. Love’s Haven, The Marriage Wish, Twice Blessed
2. Harry Potter, fantasy
Section C
Jodi Picoult’s novel, My Sister’s Keeper, is a thrilling fictional tragedy. Anna Fitzgerald is suing her parents for medical emancipation. Anna goes to Campbell Alexander, a well-known lawyer, to represent her. Anna’s sister, Kate, is sick with leukemia and needs a kidney. Anna’s parents believe that Anna should give Kate the kidney, even if it means putting Anna in danger. Sara Fitzgerald, Anna’s mother and former lawyer, represents herself in the battle against Anna and Campbell Alexander.
The design of the cover is very appealing. The cover shows Anna, her mother and her sister laughing. In a way, the cover misleads the reader because throughout the story the family’s tension is high. ( )
  lchs.mrso | May 20, 2014 |
Firstly, I will confess that I saw the movie before I read the book. I'd seen the movie multiple times, and adored it.
The themes of the book are controversial and interesting. Most of the characters are vivid and have a lot to contribute through their perspectives.

However- the movie is way better than the book. The movie was exactly how the book should have been written.

The movie cut out Julia and her relationship with Campbell, which frankly, was completely irrelevant and distracting.
The movie managed to convey the sweet family moments well, by showing them in the past, whereas in the book the relationship between Anna and her mother during the lawsuit is bizzare, loving one minute, hateful the next.
The ending of the movie was sweet, and tied up the story perfectly. The ending of the book was TERRIBLE, a soap-opera ending that dismisses the themes of the book, and treats the main character callously.

The writing style of the book was okay- nothing horrible, nothing spectacular.
The one thing the book has over the movie, is that it gives more depth to Jesse. I liked reading about his troubles, feeling left out and forgotten. I loved the brotherly moments he has with Anna and Kate, supporting them both, even though (apparently, I'm not 100% sure) he doesn't know the secret behind the lawsuit.
  Sweet_Serenity | May 20, 2014 |
It's good, I suppose, better ending than the film. I like the added insight on Jesse, but this style of book does not interest me. I've heard Jodi Picoult's books are a real case of, "read one, you've read 'em all". So I'm not overly interested in going for another of her books. ( )
  katie1802 | May 10, 2014 |
All things considered, I enjoyed it. This is one book I wish I could have a chat with the author about, to gain a better understanding of her reasoning behind taking the story where she did.
Reading Picoult's comments at her website has helped me a bit. And it might help any reader who is utterly "shocked" after reading it to reread the prologue. ( )
  NadineC.Keels | Apr 10, 2014 |
This all feels like some awkward combination of a sci-fi novel and a movie on the Lifetime Channel.

No one starts a war - or rather, no one in his sense ought to do so - without first being clear in his mind what he intends to achieve by that war and how he intends to conduct it. - Carl Von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege.
Brother, I am fire
Surging under ocean floor.
I shall never meet you, brother--
Not for years, anyhow;
Maybe thousands of years, brother.
Then I will warm you,
Hold you close, wrap you in circles,
Use you and change you--
Maybe thousands of years, brother.
---Carl Sandburg, "Kin"
My candle burns at both ends. It will not last the night. But oh my foes and oh my friends! It makes a lovely light! --Edna St. Vincent Millay "First Fig"
I will read ashes for you, if you ask me.
I will look in the fire and tell you from the gray lashes
And out of the red and black tongues and stripes,
I will tell how fire comes
And how fire runs as far as the sea.
---Carl Sandburg, "Fire Pages"
You, if you were sensible, When I tell you the stars flash signals, each one dreadful, You would not turn and answer me "The night is wonderful." --D.H. Lawrence, "Under the Oak"
To the Currans: The best family members we're not technically related to. thanks for being such a big part of our lives.
When I was little, the great mystery to me wasn't how babies were made, but why.
In my family, we seem to have a tortured history of not saying what we ought to and not meaning what we do.
[My sister] and I are Siamese twins; you just can't see the spot where we're connected. Which makes separation that much more difficult.
True love is felonious. You take someone's breath away. You rob them of the ability to utter a single word. You steal a heart. It's not a misdemeanor... once you're in, it's for life. (paraphrased)
The human capacity for burden is like bamboo-- far more flexible than you'd ever believe at first glance.
Summertime is a collective unconscious. We all remember the notes that made up the song of the ice cream man; we all know what it feels like to brand our thighs on a playground slide that's heated up like a knife ina fire; we all have lain on our backs with our eyes closed and our hearts beating across the surface of our lids, hoping that this day will stretch just a little longer than the last one, when in fact it's all going in the other direction.

New York Times bestselling author Jodi Picoult is widely acclaimed for her keen insights into the hearts and minds of real people. Now she tells the emotionally riveting story of a family torn apart by conflicting needs and a passionate love that triumphs over human weakness.

Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate—a life and a role that she has never challenged...until now. Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister—and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable, a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves.

My Sister’s Keeper examines what it means to be a good parent, a good sister, a good person. Is it morally correct to do whatever it takes to save a child’s life, even if that means infringing upon the rights of another? Is it worth trying to discover who you really are, if that quest makes you like yourself less? Should you follow your own heart, or let others lead you? Once again, in My Sister’s Keeper, Jodi Picoult tackles a controversial real-life subject with grace, wisdom, and sensitivity.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:56 -0400)

Conceived to provide a bone marrow match for her leukemia-stricken sister, teenage Kate begins to question her moral obligations in light of countless medical procedures and decides to fight for the right to make decisions about her own body. New York Times bestselling author Jodi Picoult tells the emotionally riveting story of a family torn apart by conflicting needs and a passionate love that triumphs over human weakness. Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate -- a life and a role that she has never challenged -- until now. When their parents ask her to donate a kidney, Anna has had enough. She enlists the aid of a lawyer and announces her intention to sue for control of her own body. Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister -- and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable, a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves. My Sister's Keeper examines what it means to be a good parent, a good sister, a good person. Is it morally correct to do whatever it takes to save a child's life, even if that means infringing upon the rights of another? Is it worth trying to discover who you really are, if that quest makes you like yourself less? Should you follow your own heart, or let others lead you?… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,638,299 books! | Top bar: Always visible