My Sister's Keeper: A Novel by Jodi…

My Sister's Keeper: A Novel (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Jodi Picoult

15,557564117 (4.02)1 / 334
Member:Clair155
Title:My Sister's Keeper: A Novel
Authors:Jodi Picoult
Info:
Rating:*****

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (2004)

Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult (AllieAldy)
    AllieAldy: Another phenomenal book by Jodi Picoult, draws you in and is as suspenseful as My Sister's Keeper.
    Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult (kiwiflowa)
    The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson (_Zoe_)
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (InfectiousOptimist)
    While My Sister Sleeps by Barbara Delinsky (dara85)
    dara85: Both books are about sisters and their love/hate relationships. One sister is faced with a life threating situation.
    Five Flavors of Dumb by Antony John (kaledrina)
    The Spare Room by Helen Garner (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult may be paired with The Spare Room by Helen Garner.
    Midwives by Chris Bohjalian (CasualFriday)
    The Things That Keep Us Here by Carla Buckley (_Zoe_)
    Pieces of My Sister's Life by Elizabeth Joy Arnold (SaraAllison)
    72 Hour Hold by Bebe Moore Campbell (howelson)
    howelson: Bebe Moore Campbell explores another medical issue affecting family, bipolar disorder.
    Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson (corneggs)
    How Do You Say Goodbye by Pam Logan (MichelleRuda)
    MichelleRuda: Another one of those books that sucks you in and makes you cry. I love it!
    The Client by John Grisham (ShannonMDE)
    ShannonMDE: I think My Sister's Keeper had the feel of early John Grisham back when he wrote about people instead of corporations.
    Perfect by Natasha Friend (BookLover07)
    BookLover07: The book, " Perfect" by Natasha Friend, is such an eye catching book about a 13 year old who is over-whelmed with her body, that she pressures herself to throw up, to make her look thinner. Just when you think that was shocking, read on what happens next (:… (more)

English (551)  German (5)  Lithuanian (3)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (561)
For 13 years, Anna's life has been one hospital visit after another. She's not sick but, as the perfect match for her sister Kate who has leukemia, every time Kate gets sick Anna has to donate something to help her feel better, whether it's bone marrow or blood cells. When she is told she has to donate a kidney, Anna puts her foot down and sues her parents for medical emancipation. What follows is a long look into the morals and ethics of whether or not parents have the right to make medical decisions that will help one child yet hurt another. In the process, we see how a long term sickness causes harm to all members of the family - not just to the child who is sick or to the parents. ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
Beloved child, youngest of three, cherished sister, and of course, a product of genetic manipulation. Anna was born to save her sister. A perfect match since she was born, Anna has helped keep her sister Kate alive from the grips of leukemia. But this time, they need a kidney and Anna is ready to sue her own family for medical emancipation.

My summary doesn't really do the book justice because the books is less about the plot and more about the emotions of the characters. This book has been sitting on the edge of my reading horizon for a while, but I didn't really pick it up because it's fiction writing (not genre writing like scifi or fantasy or paranormal, etc). Fiction literature completely depends on the characters, which is a gamble because most writers can't seem to get it just right.

I hesitate to say that Picoult gets it "just right" in My Sister's Keeper, but it's pretty close.

There are many moments that feel untrue to the story - as if Picoult sets up the scene just for a character to say something particularly cutting or deep and poignant (e.g. What is four letter word for vessel?)
Plot lines don't feel completely resolved either. Characters seem to change without much impetus, to be honest. Her mother changes from someone who doesn't even seem to notice Anna at the beginning to someone who appears to care, even in the past from how she talked about how much she loved Anna in her 13 years. But... huh? Evidence obvious contradicts that.
Jesse changes with a single gesture from his father. That whole firefighting plotline just disappeared without a single impact on the greater scheme of things - as if Picoult just wanted to make sure the middle child wasn't left out. And to give the father more screen time.
Campbell felt a little fake. There isn't enough interaction to tell us how he and Anna got close enough that he would praise her and accept the end result of the trial.
The biggest reveal of the whole trial and Anna's motivation was... very much like oh here's the climax, of course. Rather than a big gasp that made me go holy goodness what the freaking heck? It felt contrived.
That's the thing that makes me pause from seriously giving this a high rating. Situations and scenes feel contrived. Obviously it's fiction, so of course it's contrived. But I shouldn't be able to notice it so many times as a reader.

All of that being said... I actually cried during this book. Although I nitpick about contrived situations, Picoult does have a gift for making these characters very sympathetic, very real. The changes in point of view weren't jarring at all, which is surprising because most writers can't handle switching between characters. But instead, they lead to greater insight and even more sympathy for all characters.

You just sympathize with all of their struggles. However small or large, the characters seriously grow on you. You can picture these people, feel like you know them. And cry with them.

Three and a half stars rounded up to four because it made me cry. It was definitely above average, had beautiful characterization, and was just overall lovely. A lovely surprise from outside my usual genres. It's not higher because I won't reread it - and also it doesn't leave me with anything different or new. Does my understanding of decisions and family problems change? Hm, not really. It just leaves me with a sense of ah, I'm glad I read this book. It was lovely like a scent you close your eyes to smell because it reminds you of something beautiful.
Highly recommended for those who want a book to make you feel a little emotional. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
Picked this up from a friend, it was my first Picoult novel and definitely a memorable one. This is the story if a thirteen year old who was been a donor of all sorts for her older sister with leukemia.
The story opens with Anna going to a lawyer to seek medical emancipation--stating she no longer wants to donate anything.
The book is the story of how it all plays out--the hearing, and also of how complicated such decisions are.
It was a very well written story, and one that had me wanting to read it when I wasn't, and crying when I was. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Section B
1. Love’s Haven, The Marriage Wish, Twice Blessed
2. Harry Potter, fantasy
Section C
Jodi Picoult’s novel, My Sister’s Keeper, is a thrilling fictional tragedy. Anna Fitzgerald is suing her parents for medical emancipation. Anna goes to Campbell Alexander, a well-known lawyer, to represent her. Anna’s sister, Kate, is sick with leukemia and needs a kidney. Anna’s parents believe that Anna should give Kate the kidney, even if it means putting Anna in danger. Sara Fitzgerald, Anna’s mother and former lawyer, represents herself in the battle against Anna and Campbell Alexander.
The design of the cover is very appealing. The cover shows Anna, her mother and her sister laughing. In a way, the cover misleads the reader because throughout the story the family’s tension is high. ( )
  lchs.mrso | May 20, 2014 |
This all feels like some awkward combination of a sci-fi novel and a movie on the Lifetime Channel.

No one starts a war - or rather, no one in his sense ought to do so - without first being clear in his mind what he intends to achieve by that war and how he intends to conduct it. - Carl Von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege.
Brother, I am fire
Surging under ocean floor.
I shall never meet you, brother--
Not for years, anyhow;
Maybe thousands of years, brother.
Then I will warm you,
Hold you close, wrap you in circles,
Use you and change you--
Maybe thousands of years, brother.
---Carl Sandburg, "Kin"
My candle burns at both ends. It will not last the night. But oh my foes and oh my friends! It makes a lovely light! --Edna St. Vincent Millay "First Fig"
I will read ashes for you, if you ask me.
I will look in the fire and tell you from the gray lashes
And out of the red and black tongues and stripes,
I will tell how fire comes
And how fire runs as far as the sea.
---Carl Sandburg, "Fire Pages"
You, if you were sensible, When I tell you the stars flash signals, each one dreadful, You would not turn and answer me "The night is wonderful." --D.H. Lawrence, "Under the Oak"
To the Currans: The best family members we're not technically related to. thanks for being such a big part of our lives.
When I was little, the great mystery to me wasn't how babies were made, but why.
In my family, we seem to have a tortured history of not saying what we ought to and not meaning what we do.
[My sister] and I are Siamese twins; you just can't see the spot where we're connected. Which makes separation that much more difficult.
True love is felonious. You take someone's breath away. You rob them of the ability to utter a single word. You steal a heart. It's not a misdemeanor... once you're in, it's for life. (paraphrased)
The human capacity for burden is like bamboo-- far more flexible than you'd ever believe at first glance.
Summertime is a collective unconscious. We all remember the notes that made up the song of the ice cream man; we all know what it feels like to brand our thighs on a playground slide that's heated up like a knife ina fire; we all have lain on our backs with our eyes closed and our hearts beating across the surface of our lids, hoping that this day will stretch just a little longer than the last one, when in fact it's all going in the other direction.

New York Times bestselling author Jodi Picoult is widely acclaimed for her keen insights into the hearts and minds of real people. Now she tells the emotionally riveting story of a family torn apart by conflicting needs and a passionate love that triumphs over human weakness.

Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate—a life and a role that she has never challenged...until now. Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister—and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable, a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves.

My Sister’s Keeper examines what it means to be a good parent, a good sister, a good person. Is it morally correct to do whatever it takes to save a child’s life, even if that means infringing upon the rights of another? Is it worth trying to discover who you really are, if that quest makes you like yourself less? Should you follow your own heart, or let others lead you? Once again, in My Sister’s Keeper, Jodi Picoult tackles a controversial real-life subject with grace, wisdom, and sensitivity.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:56 -0400)

Conceived to provide a bone marrow match for her leukemia-stricken sister, teenage Kate begins to question her moral obligations in light of countless medical procedures and decides to fight for the right to make decisions about her own body. New York Times bestselling author Jodi Picoult tells the emotionally riveting story of a family torn apart by conflicting needs and a passionate love that triumphs over human weakness. Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate -- a life and a role that she has never challenged -- until now. When their parents ask her to donate a kidney, Anna has had enough. She enlists the aid of a lawyer and announces her intention to sue for control of her own body. Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister -- and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable, a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves. My Sister's Keeper examines what it means to be a good parent, a good sister, a good person. Is it morally correct to do whatever it takes to save a child's life, even if that means infringing upon the rights of another? Is it worth trying to discover who you really are, if that quest makes you like yourself less? Should you follow your own heart, or let others lead you?… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,400,757 books! | Top bar: Always visible