My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

My Sister's Keeper (original 2004; edition 2007)

by Jodi Picoult

17,560630143 (4)1 / 376
Member:Georgiedarme
Title:My Sister's Keeper
Authors:Jodi Picoult
Info:McBryde Pub (2007), Edition: 1st, Paperback

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (2004)

Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult (AllieAldy)
    AllieAldy: Another phenomenal book by Jodi Picoult, draws you in and is as suspenseful as My Sister's Keeper.
    The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson (_Zoe_)
    Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult (kiwiflowa)
    While My Sister Sleeps by Barbara Delinsky (dara85)
    dara85: Both books are about sisters and their love/hate relationships. One sister is faced with a life threating situation.
    The Spare Room by Helen Garner (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult may be paired with The Spare Room by Helen Garner.
    Five Flavors of Dumb by Antony John (kaledrina)
    The Dive from Clausen's Pier by Ann Packer (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Like My Sister's Keeper, The Dive from Clausen's Pier is a provocative novel that asks a difficult, complex question -- what responsibility do we have to ourselves and to those we love?
    The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These two novels share similar subject matter (the use of individuals expressly for the donation of organs). However, The Unit is set in a dystopian near-future while My Sister's Keeper is strictly contemporary.
    Midwives by Chris Bohjalian (CasualFriday)
    The Things That Keep Us Here by Carla Buckley (_Zoe_)
    Pieces of My Sister's Life by Elizabeth Joy Arnold (SaraAllison)
    Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson (corneggs)
    72 Hour Hold by Bebe Moore Campbell (howelson)
    howelson: Bebe Moore Campbell explores another medical issue affecting family, bipolar disorder.
    The Client by John Grisham (ShannonMDE)
    ShannonMDE: I think My Sister's Keeper had the feel of early John Grisham back when he wrote about people instead of corporations.
    How Do You Say Goodbye by Pam Logan (MichelleRuda)
    MichelleRuda: Another one of those books that sucks you in and makes you cry. I love it!
    Perfect by Natasha Friend (BookLover07)
    BookLover07: The book, " Perfect" by Natasha Friend, is such an eye catching book about a 13 year old who is over-whelmed with her body, that she pressures herself to throw up, to make her look thinner. Just when you think that was shocking, read on what happens next (:… (more)

English (617)  German (5)  Lithuanian (3)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (627)
Brian and Sara Fitzgerald thought they had a complete and perfect family when their second child, daughter Kate, was born. Then at two, Kate is diagnosed with leukemia, and life changes, completely. Treatment can stabilize Kate for a while, but remissions turn into relapses. And none of them, not Sara, not Brian, and not son Jesse, is a close enough match for the donations, including bone marrow, Kate will need for any hope of a cure.

Sara and Brian take a gamble, at the limits of medical science and on the edges of medical ethics. They use in vitro fertilization to conceive another daughter, who will be the closest possible genetic match for Kate.

Thirteen years later, Anna Fiztgerald files a lawsuit seeking medical emancipation from her parents.

This is an emotionally complicated tale. Anna loves her sister Kate. Sara and Brian love all their children. Jesse loves both his sisters and would give anything to be able to donate what Kate needs to live. Kate loves her whole family, and can't escape from being the neediest member of the family, in need of everyone's support, but especially Anna's vital medical donations. Sara and Brian have a strong and loving relationship, but they're not always in agreement on what's best for their daughters.

The story is told in the voices of each character, each of the Fitzgeralds, Anna's lawyer Campbell Alexander, and the guardian ad litem appointed by the court, Julia Romano. What we learn in these interwoven voices is that everyone in the family is struggling with guilt--over what they are doing, what they can't do, and over their complex feelings about those choices, failures, and the circumstances. It's Sara who gives us most of the history. Brian and Jesse in their different ways provide context, and it's Anna's choices and feelings that are driving the events of the story--or so it appears.

Campbell and Julia have their own complicated personal history, and for each of them it affects how they respond to Anna, the Fitzgerald family, and the moral and ethical conundrum at the core of the family struggle.

Picoult gives us a beautifully textured story, with good people in painful conflict as they all try to do the right thing as far as they can understand it. You won't like all characters equally, but you will sympathize with all of them.

Highly recommended.

I bought this book. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
I haven't read a book so fast in a long time; this one had me hooked!

Why 4 stars?

The court proceedings were far from realistic—cringe-worthy, in fact.

I'm no expert in such things, though I have watched perhaps 300+ hours of court trials. And never have I seen the judge allow a witness run on like they did in this book. During a couple of such times, lawyers objected (without even saying what the objection was for—how did the judge know what objection he was sustaining/overruling if it was never given?) and then the judge said, "Overruled; I want to hear this." No judge would shun the court's rules and procedures for mere curiosity, much less, give this reason for their ruling.

This is very basic court stuff. Anyone who has watched a full trial would have caught onto how it works and how it doesn't.

A few times, witnesses answered how they thought others felt—a clear no-no in court, as one can never assume what the other is thinking; it would be easily sustained with an opinion objection, but sadly, it was allowed to continue.

Other objections that slipped through, as they were not even called to the judges attention:

Argumentative
Beyond the scope of direct / cross / redirect examination
Compound question / double question
Foundation
Improper impeachment
Speculative

Please, if you are going to write, then write about things you fully understand. This is all very primary court stuff. ( )
  bathtime | Aug 23, 2018 |
My Sister's Keeper was one of the most heart wrenching stories I've ever read. Anna's sister, Kate, is dying from a rare form of leukemia. She was conceived as a genetic match to help save her sister's life. It was supposed to be a one-time deal, but over the course of her 13 years, Anna has donated multiple times. Her sister is in need of a kidney and Anna's decided she's had enough of being told how to use her body. She decides to sue her parents for medical emancipation and refuses to give up her kidney. She knows the possible consequences of her actions, but she wants to be the one to make the choice, not her parents. What follows is a harrowing tale told in the view of six people affected by Anna's decision. I really can't say too much else without giving anything away, but this is a must read, albeit an emotional one. ( )
  mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |
Good book with a plot that was really thought provoking with the moral and ethical questions it addressed. I found myself irritated by Sara, the mother, but I can understand her dilemma. Having the book be from different POVs was helpful to grasp what each character was thinking. I actually liked that even though the book centered around Kate and her illness, as the reader you didn't get her perspective.

Summation: good plot. the conflict is was fascinating to read. Jodi Picoult is a great at writing dramatic stories which are entertaining, but she won't be winning any serious literary awards.
  mandarella | May 21, 2018 |
This is one of my favorite books! I would recommend this to others. ( )
  Kristinah | May 8, 2018 |
This all feels like some awkward combination of a sci-fi novel and a movie on the Lifetime Channel.

Om utgivelsen :

Anna er ikke syk, men hun kunne like gjerne vært det. I løpet av sitt trettenårige liv har hun gjennomgått utallige operasjoner. Hun har nemlig blitt satt til verden for at hennes beinmarg skal redde den eldre søsteren, Kate, fra leukemien hun lider av. Men nå har Anna for første gang begynt å stille spørsmål ved hvem hun egentlig er, og hvem hun ønsker å være. Er hun noe mer enn sin søsters livredder?

For Anna tvinger det seg fram en umulig avgjørelse. En avgjørelse som skal splitte familien og som kanskje får fatale følger for Kate.

Min søsters vokter er en sterk og gripende bok om en familie som befinner seg i en uløselig situasjon. Jodi Picoult er en mester i å skrive innsiktsfullt og engasjerende om viktige moralske spørsmål, og holder leseren fanget helt til siste side er lest.

No one starts a war - or rather, no one in his sense ought to do so - without first being clear in his mind what he intends to achieve by that war and how he intends to conduct it. - Carl Von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege.
Brother, I am fire
Surging under ocean floor.
I shall never meet you, brother--
Not for years, anyhow;
Maybe thousands of years, brother.
Then I will warm you,
Hold you close, wrap you in circles,
Use you and change you--
Maybe thousands of years, brother.
---Carl Sandburg, "Kin"
My candle burns at both ends. It will not last the night. But oh my foes and oh my friends! It makes a lovely light! --Edna St. Vincent Millay "First Fig"
I will read ashes for you, if you ask me.
I will look in the fire and tell you from the gray lashes
And out of the red and black tongues and stripes,
I will tell how fire comes
And how fire runs as far as the sea.
---Carl Sandburg, "Fire Pages"
You, if you were sensible, When I tell you the stars flash signals, each one dreadful, You would not turn and answer me "The night is wonderful." --D.H. Lawrence, "Under the Oak"
To the Currans: The best family members we're not technically related to. thanks for being such a big part of our lives.
When I was little, the great mystery to me wasn't how babies were made, but why.
In my family, we seem to have a tortured history of not saying what we ought to and not meaning what we do.
[My sister] and I are Siamese twins; you just can't see the spot where we're connected. Which makes separation that much more difficult.
True love is felonious. You take someone's breath away. You rob them of the ability to utter a single word. You steal a heart. It's not a misdemeanor... once you're in, it's for life. (paraphrased)
The human capacity for burden is like bamboo-- far more flexible than you'd ever believe at first glance.
Summertime is a collective unconscious. We all remember the notes that made up the song of the ice cream man; we all know what it feels like to brand our thighs on a playground slide that's heated up like a knife ina fire; we all have lain on our backs with our eyes closed and our hearts beating across the surface of our lids, hoping that this day will stretch just a little longer than the last one, when in fact it's all going in the other direction.
This work should only be the unabridged novel of My Sister's Keeper. Please do NOT combine it with the 2009 movie of the same title that is based on this book. Thank you.

New York Times bestselling author Jodi Picoult is widely acclaimed for her keen insights into the hearts and minds of real people. Now she tells the emotionally riveting story of a family torn apart by conflicting needs and a passionate love that triumphs over human weakness.

Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate—a life and a role that she has never challenged...until now. Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister—and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable, a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves.

My Sister’s Keeper examines what it means to be a good parent, a good sister, a good person. Is it morally correct to do whatever it takes to save a child’s life, even if that means infringing upon the rights of another? Is it worth trying to discover who you really are, if that quest makes you like yourself less? Should you follow your own heart, or let others lead you? Once again, in My Sister’s Keeper, Jodi Picoult tackles a controversial real-life subject with grace, wisdom, and sensitivity.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:15 -0400)

Conceived to provide a bone marrow match for her leukemia-stricken sister, teenage Kate begins to question her moral obligations in light of countless medical procedures and decides to fight for the right to make decisions about her own body. New York Times bestselling author Jodi Picoult tells the emotionally riveting story of a family torn apart by conflicting needs and a passionate love that triumphs over human weakness. Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate -- a life and a role that she has never challenged -- until now. When their parents ask her to donate a kidney, Anna has had enough. She enlists the aid of a lawyer and announces her intention to sue for control of her own body. Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister -- and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable, a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves. My Sister's Keeper examines what it means to be a good parent, a good sister, a good person. Is it morally correct to do whatever it takes to save a child's life, even if that means infringing upon the rights of another? Is it worth trying to discover who you really are, if that quest makes you like yourself less? Should you follow your own heart, or let others lead you?… (more)

5 2028

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,816,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible