My Sister's Keeper: A Novel by Jodi…

My Sister's Keeper: A Novel (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Jodi Picoult

15,685572113 (4.02)1 / 338
Member:jbrahney
Title:My Sister's Keeper: A Novel
Authors:Jodi Picoult
Info:Washington Square Press (2005), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:***1/2

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (2004)

Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult (AllieAldy)
    AllieAldy: Another phenomenal book by Jodi Picoult, draws you in and is as suspenseful as My Sister's Keeper.
    Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult (kiwiflowa)
    The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson (_Zoe_)
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (InfectiousOptimist)
    While My Sister Sleeps by Barbara Delinsky (dara85)
    dara85: Both books are about sisters and their love/hate relationships. One sister is faced with a life threating situation.
    Five Flavors of Dumb by Antony John (kaledrina)
    The Spare Room by Helen Garner (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult may be paired with The Spare Room by Helen Garner.
    Midwives by Chris Bohjalian (CasualFriday)
    The Things That Keep Us Here by Carla Buckley (_Zoe_)
    Pieces of My Sister's Life by Elizabeth Joy Arnold (SaraAllison)
    72 Hour Hold by Bebe Moore Campbell (howelson)
    howelson: Bebe Moore Campbell explores another medical issue affecting family, bipolar disorder.
    Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson (corneggs)
    How Do You Say Goodbye by Pam Logan (MichelleRuda)
    MichelleRuda: Another one of those books that sucks you in and makes you cry. I love it!
    The Client by John Grisham (ShannonMDE)
    ShannonMDE: I think My Sister's Keeper had the feel of early John Grisham back when he wrote about people instead of corporations.
    Perfect by Natasha Friend (BookLover07)
    BookLover07: The book, " Perfect" by Natasha Friend, is such an eye catching book about a 13 year old who is over-whelmed with her body, that she pressures herself to throw up, to make her look thinner. Just when you think that was shocking, read on what happens next (:… (more)

English (559)  German (5)  Lithuanian (3)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (569)
A baby who exists only to provide organs, tissue and blood for a sickly older sister, then the younger sister decides enough is enough and files a lawsuit to prevent more procedures - what a great idea for a novel. It’s twisted, morally questionable and sure to serve up emotional turmoil. Mostly it does, but the effect was blunted by a few problems. First is the side plot about the lawyer and the guardian ad litem; it’s unnecessary and distracting. As was the thing with the dog. Second was the similarity of voice all of the characters had while telling their stories. Multi-point-of-view is most effective when the author can craft individuals with fresh insight. Unfortunately Picoult only did one of those things. Third is the inclusion of Jesse’s firebug activities in addition to his general degeneracy. It was unnecessarily twee and way too much. What, were we supposed to find it utterly brill that the son of a fire captain was setting fires for his father to extinguish? Ugh.

Anyway, it wasn’t all bad. I tore through it in basically one day. I wanted to find out what set Anna at odds with her family and her destined role in it. I wanted to find out if Sara (mom) actually had a heart and a conscience under her driving need to cure Kate. I wanted to find out how much Jesse really was emotionally involved in his family despite his attempts to destroy his connection with it. I wanted to find out just how Kate felt about her life and the fact that it would probably be short. Mostly, I got those answers, but they weren’t as satisfying as I would have liked.

Mom suddenly became concerned about Anna, but her object and motivation were still muddy. She seemed to lose her single-minded focus, but was it because she only wanted Anna to keep on giving, or because she realized that she had been treating the girl unfairly all her life? There were glimmers, but nothing really clear. Jesse’s story was fleshed out; he cared deeply about Kate, but felt like a loser because he couldn’t help her in the way Anna could. He tried not to make his unhappiness felt by the family, but still had to find an outlet for the fact that he was the forgotten, useless child. Anna has the most screen time and I found her to be one of the more enjoyable teenagers I’ve read. She was put-upon, but understanding and relished the times of normalcy she got either with her sister or without. Contacting a lawyer to sue for medical emancipation seemed like a logical thing for her to do at this stage of her life where anything she wanted was second to Kate’s needs. Her very personality was molded in this essence of servitude and “higher calling”. Kate has less narrative than I would have liked, but her stoicism seems to be on par with the kids in real life with horrible, deadly conditions. She has known nothing else and, like Anna, craves normalcy. Sara’s story about her brief relationship with a fellow leukemia sufferer, was tender, sweet and altogether heart-breaking.

All those things are good, but the ending, well. I think it was a cop-out. All during the book I thought about the very first snippet of story with one sister relating how she contributed to the death of the other. It is unlabeled unlike all the other points-of-view in the story. Why? Because it has to be Kate relating the death of Anna, which is why her sudden demise didn’t work for me. Logically it doesn’t follow other than to transform Anna into the ultimate sacrifice which wasn’t necessary or realistic. By now, readers are ready for Kate to die. She is ready. Her family is ready. I guess Picoult wasn’t. ( )
1 vote Bookmarque | Dec 23, 2014 |
4.25 stars

Anna was born because her older sister, Kate, was diagnosed with leukemia when she was only 2, and her parents wanted someone who would match Kate, so the new baby could donate to help Kate out. Now 13, Anna has decided that she wants control of her own body – she wants to make her own decisions on when and whether or not to donate to her sister – so she sues her parents for medical emancipation.

I really liked this (though there was a side story with her lawyer that I could have done without; I guess the side story was ok, it just wasn't necessary, I didn't think). There were times I really disliked Anna's mom, but I quite liked her dad. The book kicked up a notch at the end with a number of twists that elevated my rating by ¼ star. The book was told from many people's points of view, and it did slip back in time occasionally, as well. ( )
  LibraryCin | Nov 29, 2014 |
Jodi Picoult gives a good all round argument for this area. Give surprising insight to a very sensitive subject. ( )
  greatbookescapes | Nov 20, 2014 |
This all feels like some awkward combination of a sci-fi novel and a movie on the Lifetime Channel.

No one starts a war - or rather, no one in his sense ought to do so - without first being clear in his mind what he intends to achieve by that war and how he intends to conduct it. - Carl Von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege.
Brother, I am fire
Surging under ocean floor.
I shall never meet you, brother--
Not for years, anyhow;
Maybe thousands of years, brother.
Then I will warm you,
Hold you close, wrap you in circles,
Use you and change you--
Maybe thousands of years, brother.
---Carl Sandburg, "Kin"
My candle burns at both ends. It will not last the night. But oh my foes and oh my friends! It makes a lovely light! --Edna St. Vincent Millay "First Fig"
I will read ashes for you, if you ask me.
I will look in the fire and tell you from the gray lashes
And out of the red and black tongues and stripes,
I will tell how fire comes
And how fire runs as far as the sea.
---Carl Sandburg, "Fire Pages"
You, if you were sensible, When I tell you the stars flash signals, each one dreadful, You would not turn and answer me "The night is wonderful." --D.H. Lawrence, "Under the Oak"
To the Currans: The best family members we're not technically related to. thanks for being such a big part of our lives.
When I was little, the great mystery to me wasn't how babies were made, but why.
In my family, we seem to have a tortured history of not saying what we ought to and not meaning what we do.
[My sister] and I are Siamese twins; you just can't see the spot where we're connected. Which makes separation that much more difficult.
True love is felonious. You take someone's breath away. You rob them of the ability to utter a single word. You steal a heart. It's not a misdemeanor... once you're in, it's for life. (paraphrased)
The human capacity for burden is like bamboo-- far more flexible than you'd ever believe at first glance.
Summertime is a collective unconscious. We all remember the notes that made up the song of the ice cream man; we all know what it feels like to brand our thighs on a playground slide that's heated up like a knife ina fire; we all have lain on our backs with our eyes closed and our hearts beating across the surface of our lids, hoping that this day will stretch just a little longer than the last one, when in fact it's all going in the other direction.

New York Times bestselling author Jodi Picoult is widely acclaimed for her keen insights into the hearts and minds of real people. Now she tells the emotionally riveting story of a family torn apart by conflicting needs and a passionate love that triumphs over human weakness.

Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate—a life and a role that she has never challenged...until now. Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister—and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable, a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves.

My Sister’s Keeper examines what it means to be a good parent, a good sister, a good person. Is it morally correct to do whatever it takes to save a child’s life, even if that means infringing upon the rights of another? Is it worth trying to discover who you really are, if that quest makes you like yourself less? Should you follow your own heart, or let others lead you? Once again, in My Sister’s Keeper, Jodi Picoult tackles a controversial real-life subject with grace, wisdom, and sensitivity.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:56 -0400)

Conceived to provide a bone marrow match for her leukemia-stricken sister, teenage Kate begins to question her moral obligations in light of countless medical procedures and decides to fight for the right to make decisions about her own body. New York Times bestselling author Jodi Picoult tells the emotionally riveting story of a family torn apart by conflicting needs and a passionate love that triumphs over human weakness. Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate -- a life and a role that she has never challenged -- until now. When their parents ask her to donate a kidney, Anna has had enough. She enlists the aid of a lawyer and announces her intention to sue for control of her own body. Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister -- and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable, a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves. My Sister's Keeper examines what it means to be a good parent, a good sister, a good person. Is it morally correct to do whatever it takes to save a child's life, even if that means infringing upon the rights of another? Is it worth trying to discover who you really are, if that quest makes you like yourself less? Should you follow your own heart, or let others lead you?… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,489,964 books! | Top bar: Always visible