Deliver Us From Evie by M. E. Kerr

Deliver Us From Evie

by M. E. Kerr

Told from the POV of a younger brother, it's the story of Evie, a small-town farmboy butch who falls in love with the femme daughter of the richest man in town. A butch-femme love story for young adults, with a discussion of class? Why is this book out of print? ( )
  anderlawlor | Apr 9, 2013 |
Parr's sister Evie dresses in masculine clothes, likes to fix machines and finds herself crushing on Patsy, the banker's daughter. Despite the stigma of being labeled as a lesbian, Evie find strength in herself and moves away to live with Patsy. Overall, I thought the characters and storyline was overly stereotypical. I'm not sure if a teenager would respond better to the book, but I found it to be a bit slow and static. ( )
  JanaRose1 | Apr 29, 2011 |
To read.
  mfielden | Apr 14, 2011 |
Parr Burrman's got a problem: his big sister Evie. She's the nicest person anybody's ever met, the hardest worker on their family's farm, and the best mechanic in town. But now she and Patsy Duff--daughter of the man who owns half the town-- are spending an awful lot of time together. It's only a matter of time before the clock ticks down and Evie's bombshell explodes all over Parr's life. Written from Parr's perspective, this is a fantastic book for teens -- queer and not-- from small towns. M.E. Kerr breathes vivid life into the setting, and brings in a cast of round characters who are sure to remind you of folks you know. The narrative is sharply witted, and the pacing of the book speeds up and slows down, along with the work on the Burrman family farm. Highly recommended for high school and public libraries, also a possibility for middle school libraries. ( )
  my624persona | Dec 22, 2009 |
Deliver Us From Evie is an excellent work of Contemporary Realistic Fiction. It tells the story of a young lesbian girl growing up in a small town. The reader is exposed to the struggles of the main character in a realistic yet very entertaining way. The narrator is the young girl's brother and the author manages to tell a difficult story without victimizing anyone.

I believe that homosexuality is a huge issue in this day and age and that it should not be an issue. I think it is important to teach our children at home about this issue and that is why I picked up this book.

Although I believe many young readers would enjoy this book and it teaches a very valuable lesson about tolerance I would not chose this for a classroom reading. Homosexuality is too controversial to be approached in the school. ( )
  adharrington | Oct 26, 2008 |

Told by her brother Parr, this is the story of 18-year-old Evie, her Missouri farm family, and the turmoil created by Evie's love for the local banker's daughter. "Teens will be swept up in the emotion and immediacy of Parr's fast-paced narrative, his voice perfectly pitched between wit and melancholy. It's a story that challenges stereotypes, not only about love, but also about farmers and families and religion and responsibility––about all our definitions of 'normal.'"—BL. "Unquestionably, this is the best Kerr in years, if not ever."—V.

1995 Best Books for Young Adults (ALA)
1995 Recommended Books for Reluctant Young Adult Readers (ALA)
1995 Fanfare Honor List (The Horn Book)
1995 Books for the Teen Age (NY Public Library)
1994 Best Book Honor Award (Michigan Library Association)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:29 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Parr Burrman and his family face some difficult times when word spreads through their rural Missouri town that his older sister is a lesbian, and she leaves the family farm to live with the daughter of the town's banker.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,605,320 books! | Top bar: Always visible