Beyond Outrage: What Has Gone Wrong with Our…

Beyond Outrage: What Has Gone Wrong with Our Economy and Our Democracy,… (2012)

by Robert B. Reich

See http://ttgl.tiddlyspace.com/#BeyondOutrage for my review, offer of a free copy, and my action program.

Briefly, I'm a huge fan of Reich, so this is not balanced. The time is well passed for "balance". Reich, as have others, been sounding the alarm that have the past 30 years been balanced, it's only recently we are waking up to the 1984-ish tilt inflicted on our sense of balance.

I can't give him a 5-star rating (nor 4.5), since those are reserved for things like "The Jungle", "It Can't Happen Here", "The Age of Wonder", "Moby Dick", "The Metaphysical Club", ... and, I do get the sense that some of the critiques by Jeff Shesol, in reviewing Eric Alterman's "The Cause" also stick here. ( )
1 vote applemcg | May 19, 2012 |
This is one of the Amazon Kindle singles. The premise is that the widening division of wealth in this country is the primary cause of our current economic pain and will ultimately lead to further erosion of the prosperous life style of a strong American middle class. The author is intelligent and his arguments are clear and fact based. At the same time his arguments are not as removed from political ideology as he would have the reader believe. If you believed he was right before reading the book, the arguments are very convincing. Overall, the book was worth treading and may have helped me 'get busy' and do something to make things better. ( )
1 vote hazel1123 | May 16, 2012 |
This LT Work is Robert Reich's original Kindle single of Beyond Outrage: What Has Gone Wrong with Our Economy and Our Democracy, and How to Fix Them (2012), which is expanded and enhanced in the Vintage Books edition of the same Title (also 2012). Please distinguish between the two Works.

In this eBook exclusive, Robert B. Reich urges Americans to get beyond mere outrage about the nation's increasingly concentrated wealth and corrupt politics in order to mobilize and to take back our economy and democracy. Americans can't rely only on getting good people elected, Reich argues, because nothing positive happens in Washington unless good people outside Washington are organized to help make those things happen after the election. But in order to be effectively mobilized, we need to see the big picture. Reich connects the dots for us, showing why the increasing share of income and wealth going to the top has hobbled jobs and growth for everyone else, while undermining our democracy; has caused Americans to become increasingly cynical about public life; and has turned many Americans against one another. He also explains why the proposals of the "regressive right" are dead wrong and provides a clear road map for what must be done instead. Here is a blueprint for action for everyone who cares about the future of America.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,693,910 books! | Top bar: Always visible