Beyond Outrage: Expanded Edition: What has…

Beyond Outrage: Expanded Edition: What has gone wrong with our economy and… (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Robert B. Reich

1119108,775 (4.08)3
Member:Carlin_Jones
Title:Beyond Outrage: Expanded Edition: What has gone wrong with our economy and our democracy, and how to fix it (Vintage)
Authors:Robert B. Reich
Info:Vintage (2012), Edition: Expanded, Paperback, 176 pages
Collections:Politics/Social issues, Read but unowned
Rating:*****

Beyond Outrage: What has gone wrong with our economy and our democracy, and how to fix them by Robert B. Reich (2012)

Quick read, but gives a good overview of what's happening in the economy and some ideas on what you can do to change it. ( )
  AllInStride | Apr 20, 2016 |
3 1/2 stars: Good

From the back cover: America's economy and democracy are working for the benefit of ever-fewer privleged and powerful people. But rather than just complain about it or give up on the system, we must join together and make it work for all of us.

In this timely [2012] book, Robert Reich argues that nothing good happens in Washington unless citizens are organized and energized to make sure Washington acts in the public good. The first step is to see the big picture.

Beyond Outrage connects the dots, showing why the increasing share of income and wealth going to the top has hobbled jobs and growth for everyone else, undermining our democracy; caused Americans to become increasingly cynical about public life; and turned many of us against one another. He also explains why the proposals of the "regressive right" are dead wrong and provides a clear roadmap of what must be done instead.

----------------------

I read this book in order to prep myself for hearing a speech/ meeting Reich in October 2015. I had seen his documentary "Inequality for all" and followed him on Facebook for awhile, so there was little new for me in this.

The book is written in three sections, the first describing the problem, the second, how we got there and the third, to "move beyond outrage" but specifically, what can/ must we, the public, do about it.

Rather than get into it here, all of this information is readily available online. You can start by joining Reich's nonpartisan group, www.commoncause.org, whose charter is to get money out of politics.

Some quotes from the book which I appreciated:

American has had a long history of southern white radicals who would stop at nothing to get their way--seceding from the Union in 1861, repudiating federal laws designed to protect the rights of black citizens during Reconstruction, enacting Jim Crow laws, resisting desegregation orders in the 1950s, and refusing to obey civil rights legislation in the 1960s. The Gingrich led government shutdown at the end of 1995 was a prelude to the 2011 showdown over raising the federal debt ceiling --which could have triggered a government default and risked the full faith and credit of the US. Gingrich's recent assertion during the Republican primaries that public officials aren't bound to follow the decisions of federal courts is in the same tradition.

** DIscussion isn't enough. You also need to express yourself in ways that enable those who may initially disagree with you to understand. Appeal to the moral values you and they share. Avoid violence. Violence can put you on the front page, but it will not capture the hearts and minds of those you need to convince. You'll be the most convincing when you combine moral clarity with undeniable facts and common sense.

Don't think you can be much of an activist by merely sitting behind your computer. I come across many good people who spend many hours online disseminating petitions or raising money for causes they believe in. I admire them for it, but they need to bear in mind that the sheer convenience of online activism reduces its political currency. Elected representatives who receive virtual petitions know how little work they require relative to the exhausting tasks of knocking on doors to get signatures or getting out the vote. ...Those who say they don't have time to meet aren't being truthful; if they have time to watch hours of television or play on their laptops, they can make the time to join with others for the future of their communities and their nation.

Most of us don't practice active citizenship because we tell ourselves we're too busy for it. Yet we find time to do other things--swimming or crossword puzzles or playing cards or cooking.... the truth is we have the time. The real reason most of us don't practice citizenship is we don't know how. And we don't think it will do good anyway. ( )
  PokPok | Dec 31, 2015 |
This book, by former Secretary of Labor Robert B. Reich, explains in understandable terms what is wrong with the US economy and the entire political system as it is today. It also gives historic examples and what we should do to correct it.

I found one passage from the book that summarizes the problem very well: "We're not in trouble because gays want to marry or because women want to have some control over when they have babies. We're in trouble because CEOs are collecting exorbitant pay while slicing the pay of average workers, because the titans of Wall Street demand short-term results over long-term jobs, and because of a boardroom culture that tolerates financial conflict of interest, insider trading, and the outright bribery of public officials through unlimited campaign "donations"."

Although, I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads I give this book five stars because Reich makes a compelling argument in a very readable book not out of any perceived obligation.

If you disagree with the statement above, I dare you to open-mindedly read this book. I must admit that when I read it, Robert Reich was preaching to the choir, but he just confirmed and increased my outrage!
Amen!
1 vote jwood652 | Sep 28, 2013 |
I wish everyone would watch his two minute videos. Here is an economist that worked for the Ford, Carter and Clinton administration, and he tells it like it is.

Got my copy from the library yesterday. Very good so far.
1 vote tivonut | Jul 25, 2013 |
A former US Secretary of Labor points to growing income inequality and the influence of big money in politics as root causes of the problems in the US economy and government. He debunks major talking points of the regressive right. Outlines a progressive agenda designed to correct problems. Proposes a voluntary "Corporate Pledge of Allegiance" as a tool to reform corporate abuses. ( )
1 vote oakhill | Mar 28, 2013 |

Argues that real change can only come when party lines are ignored and people from both sides of the aisle band together to enact common sense policies.

16 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,482,610 books! | Top bar: Always visible