Beyond Outrage: Expanded Edition: What has…

Beyond Outrage: Expanded Edition: What has gone wrong with our economy and… (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Robert B. Reich

Member:Carlin_Jones
Title:Beyond Outrage: Expanded Edition: What has gone wrong with our economy and our democracy, and how to fix it (Vintage)
Authors:Robert B. Reich
Info:
Collections:Politics/Social issues, Read but unowned
Rating:*****

Beyond Outrage: What has gone wrong with our economy and our democracy, and how to fix them by Robert B. Reich (2012)

This book, by former Secretary of Labor Robert B. Reich, explains in understandable terms what is wrong with the US economy and the entire political system as it is today. It also gives historic examples and what we should do to correct it.

I found one passage from the book that summarizes the problem very well: "We're not in trouble because gays want to marry or because women want to have some control over when they have babies. We're in trouble because CEOs are collecting exorbitant pay while slicing the pay of average workers, because the titans of Wall Street demand short-term results over long-term jobs, and because of a boardroom culture that tolerates financial conflict of interest, insider trading, and the outright bribery of public officials through unlimited campaign "donations"."

Although, I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads I give this book five stars because Reich makes a compelling argument in a very readable book not out of any perceived obligation.

If you disagree with the statement above, I dare you to open-mindedly read this book. I must admit that when I read it, Robert Reich was preaching to the choir, but he just confirmed and increased my outrage!
Amen!
1 vote jwood652 | Sep 28, 2013 |
I wish everyone would watch his two minute videos. Here is an economist that worked for the Ford, Carter and Clinton administration, and he tells it like it is.

Got my copy from the library yesterday. Very good so far.
1 vote tivonut | Jul 25, 2013 |
A former US Secretary of Labor points to growing income inequality and the influence of big money in politics as root causes of the problems in the US economy and government. He debunks major talking points of the regressive right. Outlines a progressive agenda designed to correct problems. Proposes a voluntary "Corporate Pledge of Allegiance" as a tool to reform corporate abuses. ( )
1 vote oakhill | Mar 28, 2013 |
Short and to the point analysis of the predicament we are in, how we got there, and how to get out of it. Clear exposition. ( )
1 vote TulsaTV | Feb 7, 2013 |
A very easy to read explanation of both the causes and the solutions to out recent stagnate economy. The former Secretary of Labor is a very sensible guy. He hones in all the imbalance of wealth in our country and how this is very counter productive. He also is like a laser disputing the plethora of myths the far right spews out generally unchallenged about both the causes and solutions to our economic woes. The greatness of this book is that it explains complex economics in down to earth language. There even some cute visual aids but don't let that fool you this is a book of common sense substance. ( )
1 vote muddyboy | Dec 3, 2012 |

Argues that real change can only come when party lines are ignored and people from both sides of the aisle band together to enact common sense policies.

5 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,406,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible