Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and…

Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Cheryl Strayed

Member:co_coyote
Title:Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar
Authors:Cheryl Strayed
Info:Vintage (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Essay

Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar by Cheryl Strayed (2012)

I don't know if I can adequately describe right now just how important this book is to me, and why it was so appropriate for me to read it now, instead of last year when I had first heard of it. I'm glad I waited until after I'd made some serious fuck-ups, so that I could read it and realize those fuck-ups were necessary and okay. And that they don't mean I am a terrible person.

Strayed is blunt but kind, whimsical in her wording, and ultimately loving. There is no judgment here. I want everyone to read this book so that they can become better friends, parents, partners, and so on. I think it will help me do that, too. ( )
  woolgathering | Apr 4, 2017 |
The best-of collection from online magazine The Rumpus' advice column on love and life. Strayed's words and advice are striking, powerful and haunting. Highly recommended. ( )
  jasonli | Feb 8, 2017 |
Different than what I expected because I've never read the, "Dear Sugar" column. I got tired of the author talking about herself and oversharing then going way back trying to weave it in with her advice. But she does has some well-written, often touching insights - it's a good book to read in short spurts at a time. ( )
  penguinasana | Nov 21, 2016 |
I read this collection of letters from Dear Sugar's advice column straight through, which really doesn't do it justice. Her compassionate insight and advice should be savored. Yet I'm not sorry the first pass went so quickly. I will go back and spend more time with each chapter. In the meantime, I was so impressed with this book that I checked out the audiobook [b:Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail|12262741|Wild From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail|Cheryl Strayed|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1354159655s/12262741.jpg|17237712] and am enjoying it thoroughly.

In these letters, Strayed reveals hard truths about her own life in a way that lends weight to her advice. She's not telling her readers what to do, but offering stories that open up options.

seschanfield | Mar 7, 2016 |
A beautiful heart-punch of a book - Strayed dishes out brutal, loving, honest and painful advice on how to live a good life. It ran a bit long by the end - a few letter covered similar themes - but it's pretty inspiring stuff. ( )
  mjlivi | Feb 2, 2016 |
For Stephen Elliott and Isaac Fitzgerald
And for all the people who wrote to me
Long ago, before there was a Sugar, there was Stephen Elliot. - Introduction
What is this book? It's a selection of Dear Sugar columns. - Part One

"Tiny Beautiful Things" brings the best of Cheryl Strayed's published and never-before-published online columns in one place and includes a new introduction by Steve Almond.

Cheryl Strayed is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

362 wanted4 pay5 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,890,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible