Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and…

Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Cheryl Strayed

Member:co_coyote
Title:Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar
Authors:Cheryl Strayed
Info:Vintage (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Essay

Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar by Cheryl Strayed (2012)

Steve Almond's introduction will get you excited about this book if you aren't already, and Cheryl Strayed's advice is compassionate and wise. In nearly every column, she includes a story (or stories) from her own life to make her point. The audiobook is excellent.

Quotes

From Steve Almond's introduction ("I Was Sugar Once: Lessons in Radical Empathy"):

Inexplicable sorrows await all of us. That was her essential point.

She is able to transmute the raw material of the self-help aisle into genuine literature.

...within the chaos of our shame and disappointment and rage there is meaning, and within that meaning is the possibility of rescue. (7)

She understands that attention is the first and final act of love, and that the ultimate dwindling resource in the human arrangement isn't cheap oil or potable water or even common sense, but mercy. (7)

Quotes

Our minds are small, but our hearts are big. (81)

Forgiveness forces an impossible internal face-off....Acceptance asks only that you embrace what's true. (113)

Whatever happens to you belongs to you. (133)

And every last one of us can do better than give up. (155)

...what you've got left after the fools have departed are the old souls and the true hearts. (155)

Telling has a way of dispersing things. (159)

How long do you try? (169)

I am not a religious person. I don't meditate, chant, or pray. But lines from poems I love run through my head and they feel holy to me in a way. (267)

My grief is tremendous, but my love is bigger. (282)

We learn from experience, but no need to keep learning the same things from the same experiences over and over again, right? (337) ( )
  JennyArch | May 23, 2014 |
Cheryl Strayed can write, no question about it. A number of her responses left me in or near tears. My issues with the book lie mostly in what the book is: a grouping of advice columns.

So the profoundly moving sections are interspersed with the more everyday responses and it can get a little old. I am not sure that this is Strayed's fault because most of our problems aren't that interesting. I am not sure that I would have finished this book in it's entirety if I hadn't been listening to it as an audiobook. I'd likely have skimmed portions of the book if I was reading a real paper copy. ( )
  dtn620 | May 22, 2014 |
I actually saw Cheryl Strayed read this in San Francisco last year (2012). While sometimes the "sweetheart" got old for me, I really really love her direct, no-holds-barred advice. I like to pick this up from time to time to read, rather than reading this in a linear, chapter fashion. ( )
  ericasmithx | May 6, 2014 |
  ericasmithx | May 6, 2014 |
A wrenching collection of columns; Most exchanges will leave you shaken and probably wanting to just close the book for the day. When everyone involved (especially Cheryl) put their hearts out on the page in such a brutally open fashion, it can be a bit overwhelming. One or two columns in a sitting is all I could manage. From reading just this collection, it is hard to know how each column would have been perceived by the person asking for advice. But, it is clear that almost everyone writing in believed in the therapeutic possibilities of a piece of advice from Cheryl - so, you'd have to assume they were able to take something from it. ( )
  aswinreadr | Feb 1, 2014 |
Long ago, before there was a Sugar, there was Stephen Elliot. - Introduction
What is this book? It's a selection of Dear Sugar columns. - Part One

"Tiny Beautiful Things" brings the best of Cheryl Strayed's published and never-before-published online columns in one place and includes a new introduction by Steve Almond.

Cheryl Strayed is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,141,893 books! | Top bar: Always visible