Pirate Cinema by Cory Doctorow

Pirate Cinema (edition 2012)

by Cory Doctorow

Collections:Currently reading
Rating:***
Tags:etmooc, connectivity

Pirate Cinema by Cory Doctorow

Junk by Melvin Burgess (kaledrina)
    Makers by Cory Doctorow (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Big corporations seek to control creativity and the creative forces strike back.
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (PghDragonMan)

English (27)  French (1)  All languages (28)
I think the difficulty with this book is it simplifies something that is incredibly nuanced and that made it, for me at least, slightly patronising and poorly handled.
I liked
- characterisation
- some of the premise that the book was based on

I didn't like
- the dumbing down of piracy concepts
- the ending. It could have ended without the very final twist and been ok in that regard.

It's worth reading if you can suspend disbelief, but it's not as good as 'when says admins ruled the earth' ( )
  Kaiberie | Feb 8, 2014 |
This book started off kinda preachy. I've heard/watched some of doctorows google talks about the new signed bootloader / hardware stuff. I think he spoke way better at google.
I see now why it was done.

The book was great. I loved the characters, and the story.

If you are a fan of his other books, i'd highly recommend it. ( )
  halkeye | Feb 6, 2014 |
This was entertaining enough, set in a near-future in London when things are just a little more Big Brother-y than they are now. A bunch of kids living in a squat and making remixes and mash-ups of films come under the scrutiny of corporations trying to enforce their copyrights. Then they band together and put on a show in the barn fight the system and say a lot of things about art and creative freedom.

It's nicely written in general, perhaps a little meandering and the characters are maybe a little too likely to break into a long expository monologue about fair use regulations. Aside from that, it's easy to like the characters and be interested in what they do. I liked that it depicted people engaged in activism and social justice work in a positive and serious way. Serious in the sense that their convictions are shown as valid, as opposed to meaning they had no fun at all. A lot of their activities seemed extremely fun.

One thing that wasn't working for me personally is that even though I agree with the book's sentiments on the state of copyright (I think it's forcing an outdated system to try to manage a new technology to the detriment of everybody involved), the choices the author makes about what supports this stance were ... odd, to me. It's like he tried to fit every possible justification in there, and at some point (well, it was a point toward the beginning), it turned the corner from "convincing argument" to "okay, now you're just rambling." ( )
  delphica | Oct 14, 2013 |
Pirate Cinema by Cory Doctorow is a dystopian critique in the uselessness of internet piracy bills. Trent McCauley is a sixteen year old runaway who flees to London in order to illegally edit video remixes. Through the process of making friends and completing his video's he manages to challenge major piracy laws. It was a well written novel that managed to make me question internet piracy laws. Racquel, Class of 2015
  PeskyLibrary | Sep 27, 2013 |
This is the first book I've read by Doctorow and I'm sure I'm going to read more. I've seen a few reviews complaining about this book being preachy but I didn't feel it was at all. It felt like a realistic setting with people responding to the world around them. I really liked how the pacing of the narrative made it feel like you were moving along right with the main character. ( )
  Briarthorn | Sep 22, 2013 |

In a dystopian, near-future Britain, sixteen-year-old Trent, obsessed with making movies on his computer, joins a group of artists and activists who are trying to fight a new bill that will criminalize even more harmless internet creativity.

23 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,458,311 books! | Top bar: Always visible