On the banks of Plum Creek by Laura Ingalls…

On the banks of Plum Creek (original 1937; edition 1971)

by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Member:aajohnsen
Title:On the banks of Plum Creek
Authors:Laura Ingalls Wilder
Info:New York: HarperTrophy, 1971. 339 p. : ill. ; 20 cm. 1st HarperTrophy ed.

On the Banks of Plum Creek by Laura Ingalls Wilder (1937)

English (67)  French (1)  All languages (68)
My favourite so far (I'm reading in order) as the books move from the feeling of Pioneer How-To Manual into the realm of actual novel. It's still a series of incidents, but they connect to form a plot (we saw glimmerings of this in the last book, but not at all in the first two, to my mind). As Laura ages we get more deft characterization touches, and the sentence-crafting has improved, with masterful descriptive passages. A real charmer.

(Note: 5 stars = amazing, wonderful, 4 = very good book, 3 = decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful. I'm fairly good at picking for myself so end up with a lot of 4s). ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Sep 19, 2018 |
This book takes the Ingalls family to Minnesota. This is where we meet the characters from the TV Series: Nellie, Willie, Mr. & Mrs. Olsen, Miss Beadle, Reverand Alden, Mr. Hanson, etc. They never mention the name of the town in the book. This is where Laura and Mary first attend school and church. This book is almost heartbreaking. The build this beautiful house and plant this huge wheat crop to have it all destroyed. Then the winter is followed by storm after storm. Makes you wonder how they come out of all that. Guess we will find out in the next book "By the Shores of Silver Lake" which takes them to DeSmet South Dakota. ( )
  kkranig | Sep 4, 2018 |
Once again, the Ingalls family are on the move, and this time they end up in Minnesota! Being close to a town, they get to church and the girls go to school! They also start their time there living in a dugout next to Plum Creek. It's a good story, again with lots of information about how to do things during these pioneer days. And if it wasn't for the dang grasshoppers, this would have been a super success for the family! One thing I've noticed in these books so far, it always seems to be Christmas time! Not a complaint, just something funny I've noticed as we've gone along. Will it continue in book #5? We'll see soon! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Feb 19, 2018 |
This book, part of the "Little House on the Prairie" series, shares Laura Ingalls's stories as a seven-eight year old and her experience living in Minnesota along Plum Creek. This book could be on a list of a few others that students have to choose from during a unit on pioneers and early settlers. I would allow students to choose between this and a few others because not all students are going to enjoy this type of story. ( )
  meghanlowe | Nov 12, 2017 |
I can't believe I have not yet read this book. It is not showing in my reading list.
  LynneQuan | Sep 27, 2017 |

Laura Ingalls Wilderprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hallqvist, Britt G.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, CherryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The dim wagon track went no farther on the prairie, and Pa stopped the Horses.

The adventures of Laura Ingalls and her family continue as they leave their little house on the prairie and travel in their covered wagon to Minnesota. Here they settle in a little house made of sod beside the banks of beautiful Plum Creek. Soon Pa builds a wonderful new little house with real glass windows and a hinged door. Laura and her sister Mary go to school, help with the chores, and fish in the creek. At night everyone listens to the merry music of Pa's fiddle. Misfortunes come in the form of a grasshopper plague and a terrible blizzard, but the pioneer family works hard together to overcome these troubles.

And so continues Laura Ingalls Wilder's beloved story of a pioneer girl and her family. The nine Little House books have been cherished by generations of readers as both a unique glimpse into America's frontier past and a heartwarming, unforgettable story.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:46 -0400)

Laura og hendes familie sl?ar sig denne gang ned i Minnesota, hvor Laura og hendes s?ster kommer i skole, og pr?rien hjems?ges af en k?mpe gr?shoppesv?rm.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,578,696 books! | Top bar: Always visible