Push by Sapphire

Push

by Sapphire

Series: Precious (1)

The Color Purple by Alice Walker (Anonymous user, sruszala)
    The Children and the Wolves by Adam Rapp (kaledrina)
    The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison (greytone)
    greytone: These books are similar because the protagonists begin their journey in the most dire of circumstances and the novels are the debut novels for the authors. Their stories end very differently, however; one triumphantly, the other tragically.
    Cashay by Margaret McMullan (meggyweg)

English (119)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (123)
Push. There are so many things to say about this novel. It's excellent. Sapphire's main character, Precious, is believable and just as sad and angry as anyone abused as badly as she is has a right to be. It's hard reading. The way Precious has been treated is so horrible that my heart bled and my tears flowed. What an awful, horrible life this girl has had. It's hopeful. Precious has a chance, thanks to the appearance of a teacher who really cares about her students as individuals, and who helps Precious tap the deep vein of intelligence and resilience within herself. It's written so well. Narrated by Precious herself, it is at first the scratchings of a barely literate girl, and over the course of the book develops into mature writing, as the girl's education and brains meet up and prompt her to learn, to hunger for information. It's a story I will never forget.

I docked half a star because I didn't like reading the poetry accredited to Precious. I'm never fond of poems or songs placed in a novel; I don't even like them in Tolkien. Otherwise the book is an incredible piece of writing which should be visited by every educator. ( )
  ahef1963 | Jun 21, 2015 |
When I started this book I hate hate Hated the story. How can anyone treat their child, their flesh and blood the way Precious' parents treated her I'll never understand. But as I moved further into the story I started to see the good as well as the bad and the beauty as well as the ugly. The relationship Precious shares with Ms Rains is beautiful and it just shows how much someone can change if they have the right people to encourage them and help them believe they are more than they think they are.

I found the slang and spelling challenging to read, but understand it is part of her story, part of her struggle. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
Sixteen year old Claireece Precious Jones is suspended from school because she is pregnant with her second child. The public school system has failed her by leaving her illiterate. Her family has failed her by emotionally, physically, and sexually abusing her on a daily basis. She frequently daydreams to escape her grim reality. Her life turns around after she meets a teacher at an alternative school who believes in her and recognizes the injustice of her situation. Ms. Rain teaches her more than the ABCs. She teaches Precious self-expression and the meaning of love.

The gritty story is at times difficult to read because of its graphic depictions of Precious's abuse as well as the various levels of dialect that is employed to serve as her voice. The struggle on the part of the reader adds a dimension of empathy that makes the story seem ever-more real.
  thelittlestacks | Mar 27, 2015 |
I don't recommend this book to anyone. It leaves you feeling violated and disgusting. ( )
  Serenity_Tigerlily | Jan 20, 2015 |
Depressing, but I knew that going into it. I like the way it is written, from Precious' point of view, actually using her dialect. Reminds me a lot of "The Color Purple", which she even becomes a bit fixated with. Can't decide if I want to watch the movie or not--some things, I just don't need to see..... ( )
  trayceetee | Nov 15, 2014 |
What do you get if you borrow the notion of an idiosyncratic teen-age narrator from J. D. Salinger's "Catcher in the Rye" and mix it up with the feminist sentimentality and anger of Alice Walker's "Color Purple"? The answer is "Push," a much-talked-about first novel by a poet named Sapphire, a novel that manages to be disturbing, affecting and manipulative all at the same time.

If thou be one whose heart the holy forms
Of young imagination have kept pure,
Stranger! henceforth he warned; and knew, that pride,
Howe'er disguised in its own majesty,
Is littleness; that he who feels contempt
For any living thing, hath faculties
Which he has never used; that thought with him
Is in its infancy. The man whose eye
is ever on himself, doth look on one,
The least of nature's works, one who might move
The wise man to that scorn which wisdom holds
Unlawful, ever. O, be wiser thou!
Instructed that true knowledge leads to love...

William Wordsworth
Every blade of grass has its Angel that bends over it
and whispers, "Grow, grow'"

The Talmud
For children everywhere. And for my teachers Eavan Boland, James Merrit, and most especially Susan Fromberg Schaeffer.
I was left back when I was twelve because I had a baby with my fahver.

Black, on welfare, HIV-positive, illiterate, and pregnant by her own father (again), sixteen-year-old Precious finds hope and a support group in the form of a literacy program lead by a gifted teacher.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679766758, Paperback)

Claireece Precious Jones endures unimaginable hardships in her young life. Abused by her mother, raped by her father, she grows up poor, angry, illiterate, fat, unloved and generally unnoticed. So what better way to learn about her than through her own, halting dialect. That is the device deployed in the first novel by poet and singer Sapphire. "Sometimes I wish I was not alive," Precious says. "But I don't know how to die. Ain' no plug to pull out. 'N no matter how bad I feel my heart don't stop beating and my eyes open in the morning." An intense story of adversity and the mechanisms to cope with it.

Precious is now a major motion picture based on the novel Push by Sapphire, starring Gabourey 'Gabby' Sidibe, Mo'Nique, Paula Patton, Mariah Carey, and Lenny Kravitz. Enjoy these images from the film, and click the thumbnails to see larger images.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:02 -0400)

Relentless, remorseless, and inspirational, this "horrific, hope-filled story" ("Newsday") is certain to haunt a generation of readers. Precious Jones, 16 years old and pregnant by her father with her second child, meets a determined and highly radical teacher who takes her on a journey of transformation and redemption.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,908,006 books! | Top bar: Always visible