Push by Sapphire

Push

by Sapphire

Series: Precious (1)

The Color Purple by Alice Walker (Anonymous user, sruszala)
    The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison (greytone)
    greytone: These books are similar because the protagonists begin their journey in the most dire of circumstances and the novels are the debut novels for the authors. Their stories end very differently, however; one triumphantly, the other tragically.
    The Children and the Wolves by Adam Rapp (kaledrina)
    Cashay by Margaret McMullan (meggyweg)

English (133)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (137)
Very Deep. Highly Recommended. ( )
  Beatriz_V_F | Feb 27, 2016 |
This book is amazing. It is really sad and hard to read based on the graphic nature of the book and how it is written by a girl who can't read or write. It's hard to put down because you want Precious to succeed so bad. I wish Sapphire would have end the book differently with perhaps a little more detail. She kind of leaves you hanging towards the end. I recommend this book to people who can handle the disturbing content. ( )
  tina_thebookworm | Feb 12, 2016 |
I bought this book when it came out, couldn't bring myself to read it and ended up giving it away. I saw Sapphire's new book The Kid, thought it looked interesting but decided I should read Push first. It is rough to get through not just in terms of topic--a young black woman who is sexually abused by both her parents and impregnated twice by her father--but the author depicts Precious's illiteracy using a sort of "extreme dialect" which is effective but meant reading some parts a few times to get the idea of what's going on. ( )
  CydMelcher | Feb 5, 2016 |
What do you get if you borrow the notion of an idiosyncratic teen-age narrator from J. D. Salinger's "Catcher in the Rye" and mix it up with the feminist sentimentality and anger of Alice Walker's "Color Purple"? The answer is "Push," a much-talked-about first novel by a poet named Sapphire, a novel that manages to be disturbing, affecting and manipulative all at the same time.

Has as a student's study guide

If thou be one whose heart the holy forms
Of young imagination have kept pure,
Stranger! henceforth he warned; and knew, that pride,
Howe'er disguised in its own majesty,
Is littleness; that he who feels contempt
For any living thing, hath faculties
Which he has never used; that thought with him
Is in its infancy. The man whose eye
is ever on himself, doth look on one,
The least of nature's works, one who might move
The wise man to that scorn which wisdom holds
Unlawful, ever. O, be wiser thou!
Instructed that true knowledge leads to love...

William Wordsworth
Every blade of grass has its Angel that bends over it
and whispers, "Grow, grow'"

The Talmud
For children everywhere. And for my teachers Eavan Boland, James Merrit, and most especially Susan Fromberg Schaeffer.
I was left back when I was twelve because I had a baby with my fahver.

Black, on welfare, HIV-positive, illiterate, and pregnant by her own father (again), sixteen-year-old Precious finds hope and a support group in the form of a literacy program lead by a gifted teacher.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679766758, Paperback)

Claireece Precious Jones endures unimaginable hardships in her young life. Abused by her mother, raped by her father, she grows up poor, angry, illiterate, fat, unloved and generally unnoticed. So what better way to learn about her than through her own, halting dialect. That is the device deployed in the first novel by poet and singer Sapphire. "Sometimes I wish I was not alive," Precious says. "But I don't know how to die. Ain' no plug to pull out. 'N no matter how bad I feel my heart don't stop beating and my eyes open in the morning." An intense story of adversity and the mechanisms to cope with it.

Precious is now a major motion picture based on the novel Push by Sapphire, starring Gabourey 'Gabby' Sidibe, Mo'Nique, Paula Patton, Mariah Carey, and Lenny Kravitz. Enjoy these images from the film, and click the thumbnails to see larger images.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:02 -0400)

Relentless, remorseless, and inspirational, this "horrific, hope-filled story" ("Newsday") is certain to haunt a generation of readers. Precious Jones, 16 years old and pregnant by her father with her second child, meets a determined and highly radical teacher who takes her on a journey of transformation and redemption.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,884,231 books! | Top bar: Always visible