Push by Sapphire

Push

by Sapphire

Series: Precious (1)

Recently added byprivate library, Maria26, grapeapril75, DGSBiblio, jmc_cndk8, LoriGross82
    The Color Purple by Alice Walker (Anonymous user, sruszala)
    The Children and the Wolves by Adam Rapp (kaledrina)
    The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison (greytone)
    greytone: These books are similar because the protagonists begin their journey in the most dire of circumstances and the novels are the debut novels for the authors. Their stories end very differently, however; one triumphantly, the other tragically.
    Cashay by Margaret McMullan (meggyweg)

English (113)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  All languages (116)
Precious is an extremely overweight black girl, molested by both her mother and father, who is sent to an alternative school in Harlem. She has two children, the first being born when she is only twelve years old and both fathered by her own father. With such a background, how does she plan to proceed? Her aim is to finish her schooling by learning enough to qualify for GED classes and then maybe go to college. Along the way, she participates in support groups with other girls who have befriended her.

This book is a hard one to read. The story of all the girls in this book are so sad. Since the book is told by Precious in her own vernacular, reading through all of this becomes tedious after a while. However, the message is a good one, and the book is short so reading the story of Precious is most likely worthwhile. I wish all children in her situation a chance for success in life. ( )
  SqueakyChu | Jul 15, 2014 |
Garbage ( )
  aliterarylion | Jul 14, 2014 |
Inspirational, yet very graphic. There were moments when the book was difficult to read because of the very graphic, detailed accounts of incest.

To Sapphire's credit, I felt like Precious was a real person. She's one of the most seemingly real fictional characters I've ever read. ( )
  vonze | Feb 6, 2014 |
Clareece Precious Jones narrates her life of abuse and redemption.

Oh my. This was an extremely difficult book to read. The raw language, brutality and just plain ugliness is very heart-wrenching. I was in the position of knitted brows and open mouth throughout most of the book due to its shock value. It was very difficult to grasp the cruelty. What I liked was that I really wanted to know what was going to happen to Precious, so I kept turning those pages. However, I'm not so sure I want to see the movie anymore - too much hardship and very disturbing. I don't think I'm interested in watching what I read.

Originally posted on: Thoughts of Joy ( )
  ThoughtsofJoyLibrary | Aug 12, 2013 |
Full disclosure: I watched the movie that was based on this book several years ago and never planned to read the book at all, since the film was such a brutal experience. Then, one day amid the book piles, I happened to pick it up. And couldn't seem to put it down.

This is not an easy book to read, both because of its subject matter -- a teen is sexually, physically and emotionally abused by her parents throughout most of the book -- and because of its style, which mimics the learning process as the main character grows from functional illiteracy to personal fluency. Though it is hard to get through many passages, it is easy to appreciate the book's importance and the way that it represents a perspective rarely captured. Here, it is presented without condescension.

Those who read the book will have a better, truer experience than those who watch the movie, largely due to the style mentioned above but also because the book allows the reader more access -- and therefore more relatability -- to the main character. Fascinating, engaging, sometimes even repulsive, Precious is a main character who will not be forgotten. And hers is an experience that should be remembered so that we might fight against its reality. Brace yourself. ( )
  beserene | Jul 27, 2013 |
What do you get if you borrow the notion of an idiosyncratic teen-age narrator from J. D. Salinger's "Catcher in the Rye" and mix it up with the feminist sentimentality and anger of Alice Walker's "Color Purple"? The answer is "Push," a much-talked-about first novel by a poet named Sapphire, a novel that manages to be disturbing, affecting and manipulative all at the same time.

If thou be one whose heart the holy forms
Of young imagination have kept pure,
Stranger! henceforth he warned; and knew, that pride,
Howe'er disguised in its own majesty,
Is littleness; that he who feels contempt
For any living thing, hath faculties
Which he has never used; that thought with him
Is in its infancy. The man whose eye
is ever on himself, doth look on one,
The least of nature's works, one who might move
The wise man to that scorn which wisdom holds
Unlawful, ever. O, be wiser thou!
Instructed that true knowledge leads to love...

William Wordsworth
Every blade of grass has its Angel that bends over it
and whispers, "Grow, grow'"

The Talmud
For children everywhere. And for my teachers Eavan Boland, James Merrit, and most especially Susan Fromberg Schaeffer.
I was left back when I was twelve because I had a baby with my fahver.

Black, on welfare, HIV-positive, illiterate, and pregnant by her own father (again), sixteen-year-old Precious finds hope and a support group in the form of a literacy program lead by a gifted teacher.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679766758, Paperback)

Claireece Precious Jones endures unimaginable hardships in her young life. Abused by her mother, raped by her father, she grows up poor, angry, illiterate, fat, unloved and generally unnoticed. So what better way to learn about her than through her own, halting dialect. That is the device deployed in the first novel by poet and singer Sapphire. "Sometimes I wish I was not alive," Precious says. "But I don't know how to die. Ain' no plug to pull out. 'N no matter how bad I feel my heart don't stop beating and my eyes open in the morning." An intense story of adversity and the mechanisms to cope with it.

Precious is now a major motion picture based on the novel Push by Sapphire, starring Gabourey 'Gabby' Sidibe, Mo'Nique, Paula Patton, Mariah Carey, and Lenny Kravitz. Enjoy these images from the film, and click the thumbnails to see larger images.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:41 -0400)

Relentless, remorseless, and inspirational, this "horrific, hope-filled story" ("Newsday") is certain to haunt a generation of readers. Precious Jones, 16 years old and pregnant by her father with her second child, meets a determined and highly radical teacher who takes her on a journey of transformation and redemption.… (more)

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,416,125 books! | Top bar: Always visible