Push by Sapphire

by Sapphire

Series: Precious (1)

The Color Purple by Alice Walker (Anonymous user, sruszala)
    The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison (greytone)
    greytone: These books are similar because the protagonists begin their journey in the most dire of circumstances and the novels are the debut novels for the authors. Their stories end very differently, however; one triumphantly, the other tragically.
    The Children and the Wolves by Adam Rapp (kaledrina)
    Cashay by Margaret McMullan (meggyweg)

English (122)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (126)
The book PUSH is a book that explains the hardships that the main character has to go through. I think this is a good book for older teenagers because of the language and events that happen throughout the book. Because of those things this book has also been put on the banned books list. This is a good book for teenagers to read because it can teach them how if they think they are having rough times there might be people who have it worse. ( )
  nhall002 | Nov 11, 2015 |
I saw the film which is based upon this novel long before reading it, and the film has been praised as an unflinching portrayal of human struggle and also decried as a fetishization of "black pathology." Sapphire's novel at least seems to avoid Hollywood's pitfalls of dimensionless sensationalism and saccharine redemption. This is a novel about a young black girl who is poor, illiterate, overweight, and victimized by incestuous rape resultant in multiple pregnancies. Many critics argue that such a barrage of horrible circumstances is unrealistic, though to say so is deny that many young women of color do indeed face these very circumstances. Perhaps that is simply too shameful a thing to admit to ourselves. The key to this novle is what Sapphire does with language, the language grows as the character grows and evokes for her and for us new dimensions of understanding about her story. If we looked at Precious and not through Precious this book would be a masturbatory exercise in pity and black woe that white audiences could weep to with abandon. Sapphire's storytelling rightfully denies that. This book evokes empathy, not pity, and that is an important distinction. ( )
1 vote poetontheone | Sep 6, 2015 |
I was very engaged by the movie, "Precious", which is based on this novel. Set in 1987, Harlem, the story is shocking and yet uplifting. The novel is narrated by Precious and we see her writing improve over the time span involved in the story. The novel is much more personal than the movie. It is interesting how some things are clearer and other things more obscure in each of the two media. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
This is the sometimes difficult to read account of the life of Claireece Precious Jones. While she is pregnant with her second child, Precious is opted into educational pilot program by a sympathetic high school principal who sees something special in this young woman. Although disadvantaged in many ways, Precious is far from, as she describes herself, “stupid, ugly and worth nuffin”. The reader follows her life through her journals and those of her classmates.

This was a difficult book to read because it is blunt and it is gritty. The language is coarse. For me personally, it was heartbreaking. There were times I was so angry with the characters in the book I had to close the pages and come back to it later. This is a shining example that helping one person at a time can truly make a difference. As hard as it was to finish this book, I am glad I read it. I am equally glad I did not (and now will definitely not) see the movie.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
When I started this book I hate hate Hated the story. How can anyone treat their child, their flesh and blood the way Precious' parents treated her I'll never understand. But as I moved further into the story I started to see the good as well as the bad and the beauty as well as the ugly. The relationship Precious shares with Ms Rains is beautiful and it just shows how much someone can change if they have the right people to encourage them and help them believe they are more than they think they are.

I found the slang and spelling challenging to read, but understand it is part of her story, part of her struggle. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
What do you get if you borrow the notion of an idiosyncratic teen-age narrator from J. D. Salinger's "Catcher in the Rye" and mix it up with the feminist sentimentality and anger of Alice Walker's "Color Purple"? The answer is "Push," a much-talked-about first novel by a poet named Sapphire, a novel that manages to be disturbing, affecting and manipulative all at the same time.
If thou be one whose heart the holy forms
Of young imagination have kept pure,
Stranger! henceforth he warned; and knew, that pride,
Howe'er disguised in its own majesty,
Is littleness; that he who feels contempt
For any living thing, hath faculties
Which he has never used; that thought with him
Is in its infancy. The man whose eye
is ever on himself, doth look on one,
The least of nature's works, one who might move
The wise man to that scorn which wisdom holds
Unlawful, ever. O, be wiser thou!
Instructed that true knowledge leads to love...

William Wordsworth
Every blade of grass has its Angel that bends over it
and whispers, "Grow, grow'"

The Talmud
For children everywhere. And for my teachers Eavan Boland, James Merrit, and most especially Susan Fromberg Schaeffer.
I was left back when I was twelve because I had a baby with my fahver.

Black, on welfare, HIV-positive, illiterate, and pregnant by her own father (again), sixteen-year-old Precious finds hope and a support group in the form of a literacy program lead by a gifted teacher.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679766758, Paperback)

Claireece Precious Jones endures unimaginable hardships in her young life. Abused by her mother, raped by her father, she grows up poor, angry, illiterate, fat, unloved and generally unnoticed. So what better way to learn about her than through her own, halting dialect. That is the device deployed in the first novel by poet and singer Sapphire. "Sometimes I wish I was not alive," Precious says. "But I don't know how to die. Ain' no plug to pull out. 'N no matter how bad I feel my heart don't stop beating and my eyes open in the morning." An intense story of adversity and the mechanisms to cope with it.

Precious is now a major motion picture based on the novel Push by Sapphire, starring Gabourey 'Gabby' Sidibe, Mo'Nique, Paula Patton, Mariah Carey, and Lenny Kravitz. Enjoy these images from the film, and click the thumbnails to see larger images.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:02 -0400)

Relentless, remorseless, and inspirational, this "horrific, hope-filled story" ("Newsday") is certain to haunt a generation of readers. Precious Jones, 16 years old and pregnant by her father with her second child, meets a determined and highly radical teacher who takes her on a journey of transformation and redemption.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,847,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible