The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling

The Casual Vacancy (2012)

by J. K. Rowling

5,833440725 (3.41)2 / 264
    NW by Zadie Smith (bibliothequaire)
    Middlemarch by George Eliot (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: English small town nonsense, nobody's life flowing smoothly, lots of headstrong people making unwise choices, and social standing is king.
    The Red House by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Black Swan Green by David Mitchell (jll1976)
    Capital by John Lanchester (jll1976)
    The Trouble with Goats and Sheep by Joanna Cannon (Anonymous user)
    Skippy Dies by Paul Murray (kinsey_m)
    Solar by Ian McEwan (raulvilar)
    The Children of Dynmouth by William Trevor (Imprinted)
    The Dinner by Herman Koch (julienne_preacher)
    julienne_preacher: Good books, unlikeable characters.
    When God Was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman (jll1976)

English (407)  Dutch (8)  German (5)  French (5)  Spanish (4)  Finnish (2)  Italian (2)  Danish (1)  All (1)  Norwegian (1)  Catalan (1)  All (1)  All (438)
***I listened to the audio book***

BLUF: Entertaining. Did not want the story to end.

If you are expecting Harry Potter from JK Rowling's The Casual Vacancy you will be disappointed. I am not a die hard Harry Potter fan and thankfully I had no expectations and knew nothing of the story line previous to picking up this audio book from my library.

Since I do not read many novels, my ultimate criteria for its quality is whether or not I was entertained. I was. I am fairly liberal in handing out 5 star ratings, but this one truly deserves it. When the story ended, I was left wanting more. I desperately want to know what happens next.

JK Rowling's writing is similar to Stephen King's in that it is very conversational in tone without being lazy in grammar or plot. ( )
  JEPartrick | May 2, 2017 |
Wasn't sure I was going to like this as I ma a huge Harry Potter fan but Wow! JK Rowling knows how to tell a story. ( )
  angelaoatham | Feb 21, 2017 |
I've never read a line of any Harry Potter books because I am an adult and I don't generally read children's books for personal pleasure. But I found some enjoyment with this novel because it's very well-written, entertaining and timely.

Rowling portrays a kind of class struggle that epitomizes the greed and selfishness of the empowered class, and we get an entertaining tale of typically petty townsfolk whose lives are so consumed by politics that they become detached from the actual issues that require their attention.

It's a terrifically well-crafted book. It entertains, but it also speaks to bigger issues. I rated it 4 stars because it wasn't the kind of thing that blew my mind, but I did enjoy it very much. ( )
  jantz | Jan 1, 2017 |
Writing quality is good, but I didn't care for the subject matter and didn't finish the book. ( )
  zyphax | Dec 27, 2016 |
This was everything I expected it to be! An excellent novel from an incredible writer. Here's to hoping there's plenty more where that came from! ( )
  cknick | Dec 14, 2016 |
Set in the fictional village of Pagford, The Casual Vacancy at first seems to have all the trappings of the adorable-English-town novel—an updating of Jane Austen viewed through the loving lens of a Merchant Ivory production. But the book’s misanthropy is more indebted to Hardy or Somerset Maugham, both known for their deep distrust of humankind and their sense of the viciousness that can spring up among neighbors.

Rowling has spoken of the sense of risk in embarking on this novel. The Harry Potter series must have been a tough act to follow. What she wanted to do here, I guess, was to seize on the world we can all see without going through Platform 9¾. She has done that to stunning effect.

This is a novel of insight and skill, deftly drawn and, at the end, cleverly pulled together. It plays to her strengths as a storyteller. That will not stop the envious from carping.
added by eereed | editThe Economist (Sep 29, 2012)

It is not the sort of book that hordes of people would choose to read if its author had not also written a far more comforting series of stratospheric bestsellers. But perhaps the world will be better for them reading it. Rowling may not be an easy woman, but she uses her powers for good.
added by lampbane | editSalon, Laura Miller (Sep 28, 2012)

The Casual Vacancy is a sour novel, one that seems designed to leave Rowling’s biggest, most avid fans feeling as though she sort of hates them. For all its readability—I had no problem tearing through the whole thing today after buying it from a bewildered bookstore clerk at 7:30 in the morning—the book reveals that though she remains a careful observer of human foibles, Rowling the writer isn’t well-served by her enforced isolation.
added by DieFledermaus | editSlate, Dan Kois (Sep 27, 2012)

Rowling, J. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Demarty, PierreTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Metaal, CarolienTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mutsaers, SabineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

To Neil
Barry Fairbrother did not want to go out to dinner.
He thought that it was all over, finished, done with. Andrew had never yet had reason to observe the first tiny bubble of fermenting yeast, in which was contained an inevitable, alchemical transformation.

The early death of a small town councilman reveals deep-rooted conflicts in the seemingly idyllic community of Pagford, which rapidly deteriorates in the face of cultural disputes, generation clashes, and a volatile election.

When Barry Fairbrother dies in his early forties, the town of Pagford is left in shock and the empty seat left by Barry on the parish council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,504,091 books! | Top bar: Always visible