The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling

The Casual Vacancy (original 2012; edition 2012)

by J.K. Rowling

3,8383191,343 (3.45)2 / 210
Member:read4thefunofit
Title:The Casual Vacancy
Authors:J.K. Rowling
Info:
Rating:***1/2
Tags:2012, fiction, england, local politics, secrets

The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling (2012)

English (291)  Dutch (6)  French (5)  German (4)  Spanish (4)  Finnish (3)  Italian (2)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (319)
I loved this book. I thought the character development was so real that I actually knew the people written about. I was sad to see it end. An excellent "slice of life" book that showed how one incident can set off a whole other chain of reactions. I didn't like the Harry Potter series, but loved this one. Maybe it was listening to the book that made it so real. ( )
  csobolak | Oct 15, 2014 |
3.5 stars

When Barry Fairbrother dies, he leaves a spot open on the Parish (town?) Council. Following his death, there is jostling to see who will fill the position. It's a small town, so everyone knows everyone and everyone's business (mostly... except for what happens behind some closed doors...).

The first couple of chapters were good, but then it was very slow for a while. However, there were a couple of threads that slowly caught my interest. As the book continued, I was more and more interested in other threads/characters, as well. The book switches perspective (and there are a lot of characters) and there were times where I was on to the next perspective before even realizing it, so it could be slightly confusing at times because of that. Overall, though, I liked the book. Except for the slow start, it got much better, and I really was interested in some of the characters and what was going to happen to them. It's definitely not a happy book, though. ( )
  LibraryCin | Oct 8, 2014 |
This book was absolutely beautiful in every way - the transitions between different people were almost entirely flawless, and the story line itself was both intriguing and heartbreaking, particularly at the end. I sincerely hope Ms. Rowling continues to write novels for adults as well as children, as she excels at both. It's a wonderful character study. ( )
  strongasanoak | Sep 25, 2014 |
Barry Fairbrother dör hastigt och plötsligt börjar konspirationerna flöda om vilken fallang som ska ta över hans plats i kommunfullmäktige.
En annorlunda bok jämförelse med Harry Potter serien med väldigt skoj att prova på att läsa något nytt av denna författare.
  paulaeolsson | Sep 16, 2014 |
First of all. I actually can really picture this book coming to life. I live in a small town with lots of the same type people involved in politics in it. JK Rowling nailed that on the head. Back biting and smiling to each other's face all in a day in the life..but anyways...

Secondly-this book is NOT one of those you can't put down for dying to know "what is happening next" books. This book is a book however that will reached deep into my mind and make me realize just how human we all are. It takes on real life time and honestly I felt like I was there in Pagford.

There are not characters in this book that you are going to cheer for..but isn't that part of the true human condition. Shades of gray instead of black and white. Right when you think of someone as a bad guy Ms. Rowling has them do something to make you think hmmm..that person could be me or someone I know. Secrets and scars abound in this story.

JK Rowling. Write on my dear. I'll be here waiting to scarf up what you give us. You just shine my dear. ( )
  bookqueenshelby | Sep 9, 2014 |
Set in the fictional village of Pagford, The Casual Vacancy at first seems to have all the trappings of the adorable-English-town novel—an updating of Jane Austen viewed through the loving lens of a Merchant Ivory production. But the book’s misanthropy is more indebted to Hardy or Somerset Maugham, both known for their deep distrust of humankind and their sense of the viciousness that can spring up among neighbors.

Rowling has spoken of the sense of risk in embarking on this novel. The Harry Potter series must have been a tough act to follow. What she wanted to do here, I guess, was to seize on the world we can all see without going through Platform 9¾. She has done that to stunning effect.

This is a novel of insight and skill, deftly drawn and, at the end, cleverly pulled together. It plays to her strengths as a storyteller. That will not stop the envious from carping.
added by eereed | editThe Economist (Sep 29, 2012)

It is not the sort of book that hordes of people would choose to read if its author had not also written a far more comforting series of stratospheric bestsellers. But perhaps the world will be better for them reading it. Rowling may not be an easy woman, but she uses her powers for good.
added by lampbane | editSalon, Laura Miller (Sep 28, 2012)

The Casual Vacancy is a sour novel, one that seems designed to leave Rowling’s biggest, most avid fans feeling as though she sort of hates them. For all its readability—I had no problem tearing through the whole thing today after buying it from a bewildered bookstore clerk at 7:30 in the morning—the book reveals that though she remains a careful observer of human foibles, Rowling the writer isn’t well-served by her enforced isolation.
added by DieFledermaus | editSlate, Dan Kois (Sep 27, 2012)

Rowling, J. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Demarty, PierreTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Metaal, CarolienTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mutsaers, SabineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Neil
Barry Fairbrother did not want to go out to dinner.
He thought that it was all over, finished, done with. Andrew had never yet had reason to observe the first tiny bubble of fermenting yeast, in which was contained an inevitable, alchemical transformation.

When Barry Fairbrother dies unexpectedly in his early forties, the little town of Pagford is left in shock.

Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty façade is a town at war.
Rich at war with poor,
teenagers at war with their parents,
 wives at war with their husbands,
 teachers at war with their pupils….

Pagford is not what it first seems. And the empty seat left by Barry on the town’s council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen.

Who will triumph in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations?

When Barry Fairbrother dies in his early forties, the town of Pagford is left in shock and the empty seat left by Barry on the parish council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen.

2202 wanted8 pay11 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,416,322 books! | Top bar: Always visible